PDA

View Full Version : Got a Colt M4, now what?

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 12:50
I got a new Colt M4(LE6920 I think.) I'm happy to have found a real Colt M4 but theres some changes I really don't care for. First off it seems Colt has went too Tacticool. My gun wasn't as bad as some other models I seen for sale but it has a Magpul mag and rear sight and a Rogers Super Stoc. The Magpul rear sight isn't too bad but I'd really rather have the Colt carrying handle I seen on last year's guns.

Wheres a good place to order new Colt parts like a carrying handle, telescoping stock and 20-30 rd STANAG mags?

Also does anyone know if Uplula works with Pmags?

And whats a good weight for a 556 bullet in a 1/7 barrel? I'd assume ss109 is fine but what about 55gr?

SilverBullet432
08-20-13, 13:00
magpul stuff is like o.e.m on a car, thats why they call it
Magpul
Original
Equipment

pmags are proven magazines.. why do you think the demand for them is so high?

most ar rifles come with magpul parts on them. i dont find that tacticool at all. i have read that the 1/7 is perfect for stabilizing heavy grain projectiles, maybe 70 grain-ish in that area? lets see what the SMEs have to say

Grand58742
08-20-13, 13:07
I got a new Colt M4(LE6920 I think.) I'm happy to have found a real Colt M4 but theres some changes I really don't care for. First off it seems Colt has went too Tacticool. My gun wasn't as bad as some other models I seen for sale but it has a Magpul mag and rear sight and a Rogers Super Stoc. The Magpul rear sight isn't too bad but I'd really rather have the Colt carrying handle I seen on last year's guns.

Wheres a good place to order new Colt parts like a carrying handle, telescoping stock and 20-30 rd STANAG mags?

Unless you have your heart set on Colt specifically, I think this is a perfectly acceptable alternative:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Carry-Handle-BCM-p/bcm%20carry%20handle%20ar-15.htm

Bravo Company has great kit and you could do far worse with their parts. But if you're looking for Colt specifically to match the brand, they sometimes pop up in the E&E here.

As for the stock, depends on what kind you are looking for.

Yes, the Lula mag loaders work with just about any AR pattern mag. I've used them on Magpul, Lancer, Elanders, H&K steel, Troy and USGI pattern aluminum. No problems with any of them.

And whats a good weight for a 556 bullet in a 1/7 barrel? I'd assume ss109 is fine but what about 55gr?

Works fine with 55 grain. 52-77 grain is the best range for ammo choices.

Tzed250
08-20-13, 13:27
I don't think Colt thought it was tacticool, I think they supplied what they thought the market wanted to buy. I do however think it was kind of a cheap-out to ditch the carry handle.

RearwardAssist
08-20-13, 13:34
I don't think Colt thought it was tacticool, I think they supplied what they thought the market wanted to buy. I do however think it was kind of a cheap-out to ditch the carry handle.

Given that the carry handle was replaced after it was purchased (guesstimate) over 50% of the time with a buis and optic I would rather have them ditch that and keep the price point versus raising it for something over half the people didn't even use.

Airhasz
08-20-13, 13:38

GOT A NEW COLT...What Now?

How about SHOOT THE GUN!

Iraqgunz
08-20-13, 13:46
OP,

Would you mind sharing with us your experience level with the AR?

Auto426
08-20-13, 13:57
I wouldn't call a Pmag and MBUS tacticool, but everyone is different.

If you are dead set on a carry handle, I think the BCM is the best option available. Specialized Armament is the only place I know of that has genuine complete Colt carry handles, and they are asking $150 for them. The BCM carry handle is just as good and is available for cheaper.

BCM is also a good place to pick up a standard M4 telescoping stock. Like the carry handle, these stocks are unmarked and it's virtually impossible to tell the difference between it and the M4 stocks that used to come with Colt rifles.

Pmags are one of the best things going in the AR world, but if you want G.I. aluminum mags then I suggest these (http://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_magazine_magpul_follower/223_ar15_magazines).

Zirk208
08-20-13, 14:55
OE Colt Carry Handle Here:
http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/Carry_Handle_Assembly-153-297.html

QuackXP
08-20-13, 15:00
For the carry handle I would post up a WTB here. Or on some other forums you post on. Allot of people ditched them to put a RDS and a BUIS and the 2013 configuration is more desirable by most as it does not come with the carry handle and aluminum mags that most of the time get replaced like I did.

I still use the 20 rounds mags I got with my 2012 6920 for bench shooting and I'm keeping the original carry handle to use on another project.

donlapalma
08-20-13, 15:54

How about SHOOT THE GUN!

Huge +1 to this. Strange to think that somebody's first thought after getting a new rifle would be "What should I change on this thing?" instead of buying ammo and shooting the living daylights out of it. Strange as it may be it is common nonetheless.

OP, sure it's fun to fiddle with your new rifle, but most of the community here take a very pragmatic and utilitarian approach to gear choices and upgrades to their firearms. If your reasons for wanting to change something is because it is too "tacticool" for you then we will find it hard to give you meaningful advice because the different levels of "tacticool" is purely subjective. If you have a desire to change your gear because of reasons XYZ discovered through actual shooting experience with your firearm then let us know what that is and I'm sure you will get some very good advice.

C-grunt
08-20-13, 17:06
OP... Where are you located? I have a 2010 Colt 6920 and would be happy to trade you stocks and might sell you my carry handle for a good price.

NeoNeanderthal
08-20-13, 17:38
OP... Where are you located? I have a 2010 Colt 6920 and would be happy to trade you stocks and might sell you my carry handle for a good price.

There ya go. Thats what id go for right there. a 1:1 swap. Cant beat that.

bluejackets92fs
08-20-13, 17:46

My thoughts are this, they could build the gun cheaper and put it out without an accessory that 90% of the owners ditch. I'd rather pay less and have a Magpul sight that I can swap for a Troy, MI, DD sight. Just look in the picture thread. How many 6920's do you see actually rocking the carry handle?

William B.
08-20-13, 18:30

How about SHOOT THE GUN!

Yeah, but I bet this is the first time we've had to tell somebody to go shoot the gun before "de-accessorizing" it :jester:

Tzed250
08-20-13, 18:40
My thoughts are this, they could build the gun cheaper and put it out without an accessory that 90% of the owners ditch. I'd rather pay less and have a Magpul sight that I can swap for a Troy, MI, DD sight. Just look in the picture thread. How many 6920's do you see actually rocking the carry handle?

I guess I'm a 10%er...;)

smac61
08-20-13, 18:52

How about SHOOT THE GUN!

Thats crazy talk...

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 19:26
Unless you have your heart set on Colt specifically, I think this is a perfectly acceptable alternative:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Carry-Handle-BCM-p/bcm%20carry%20handle%20ar-15.htm

Bravo Company has great kit and you could do far worse with their parts. But if you're looking for Colt specifically to match the brand, they sometimes pop up in the E&E here.

As for the stock, depends on what kind you are looking for.

Yes, the Lula mag loaders work with just about any AR pattern mag. I've used them on Magpul, Lancer, Elanders, H&K steel, Troy and USGI pattern aluminum. No problems with any of them.

Works fine with 55 grain. 52-77 grain is the best range for ammo choices.

Thanks for all the answers! Yeah I really want just Colt parts for my Colt rifle. If I had to go to any other brand it would be HK or maybe FN.

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 19:29

I'd rather they keep things as is and let customer's modify the guns if they see fit. I wouldn't have even considered a gun in such configuration had it not been so hard to find guns this year.

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 19:30
Given that the carry handle was replaced after it was purchased (guesstimate) over 50% of the time with a buis and optic I would rather have them ditch that and keep the price point versus raising it for something over half the people didn't even use.

My last AR was an M16A2 style Armalite. I really prefer the carry handle. Eventually I'll probably put an Aimpoint on it but I'd like to be able 2 switch between the 2.

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 19:32

How about SHOOT THE GUN!

I've done that and it functions fine.

bluejackets92fs
08-20-13, 19:32
I guess I'm a 10%er...;)

Haha. I loved my carry handle but it wasn't versatile enough for me.

FChen17213
08-20-13, 19:43
Since it's your gun you can do whatever you want to do with it. If you want to let it collect dust, that's cool. If you want to make it tacticool or bling it out, that's cool too.

However, most people on this forum would recommend that you go shoot the heck out of it. Then shoot it some more. Train with it like a guitarist or musician plays his guitar or drums. Shoot it weekly if not more. Then shoot it some more in classes, matches, and competitions. Use it until the edges are worn white, you've replaced the gas rings many times, broken a bolt or two, and had the gun re-barreled twice. Then everyone here would probably say you got your money's worth out of the gun.

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 19:44
OP,

Would you mind sharing with us your experience level with the AR?

In the past I had a Armalite Service Model M15.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15A2B&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=8e8e5de6-5022-483e-812b-822e58014822

I left it stock other than adding a bayo. Never did anything with it beyond field stripping it and shooting it.

I'm not a fan of ARs(I can think of half a dozen rifles I'd rather use but they are either banned in my country or hard to find at the moment...) but its accurate, easy to find parts for if something fails(I've had to wait a few months for parts for my Heckler before...) and it accepts high cap mags(I'm limited to 10 with my SL8...)

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 19:49
Since it's your gun you can do whatever you want to do with it. If you want to let it collect dust, that's cool. If you want to make it tacticool or bling it out, that's cool too.

However, most people on this forum would recommend that you go shoot the heck out of it. Then shoot it some more. Train with it like a guitarist or musician plays his guitar or drums. Shoot it weekly if not more. Then shoot it some more in classes, matches, and competitions. Use it until the edges are worn white, you've replaced the gas rings many times, broken a bolt or two, and had the gun re-barreled twice. Then everyone here would probably say you got your money's worth out of the gun.

That seems like a good idea but I've had an AR in the past and I know that you aim the gun, squeeze the trigger and the bullet will hit the target. I'm limited to a 100M range so I don't think I have much to improve in skills by shooting it a whole lot. I just got this as a defensive weapon not a range toy.

I know it works so I'd like to make it look more like a traditional AR then throw it in the closet until I need it.

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 20:01
OP, sure it's fun to fiddle with your new rifle, but most of the community here take a very pragmatic and utilitarian approach to gear choices and upgrades to their firearms. If your reasons for wanting to change something is because it is too "tacticool" for you then we will find it hard to give you meaningful advice because the different levels of "tacticool" is purely subjective. If you have a desire to change your gear because of reasons XYZ discovered through actual shooting experience with your firearm then let us know what that is and I'm sure you will get some very good advice.

My thinking is if it looks stylish its probably junk. With original Colt parts you know its combat proven with decades of use. With the stock its not too much of a concern same for the mag as I can change it if it has issues but if that plastic sight is to fail the gun becomes a lot less usable.

I rarely do aftermarket parts but if I did it would probably be from someone liek Surefire, B+T or similar.

The only thing I would consider changing is the grip as its uncomfortable but it works so why **** with it.

Iraqgunz
08-20-13, 20:07
Just curious because of your questions regarding twist rate are generally well known and a basic search of this site would provide you a ton of info.

You said the some things are banned in "your country" if that means you are not in the U.S then there may be issues with you getting some firearms parts and shipping them due to ITAR.

In the past I had a Armalite Service Model M15.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15A2B&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=8e8e5de6-5022-483e-812b-822e58014822

I left it stock other than adding a bayo. Never did anything with it beyond field stripping it and shooting it.

I'm not a fan of ARs(I can think of half a dozen rifles I'd rather use but they are either banned in my country or hard to find at the moment...) but its accurate, easy to find parts for if something fails(I've had to wait a few months for parts for my Heckler before...) and it accepts high cap mags(I'm limited to 10 with my SL8...)

LoveAR
08-20-13, 20:15

Just curious...why did you buy it if it was not configured to your preferences?

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 20:17
No I'm in the US so I can't get say a Swiss Arms SG 550, Ak 5, or a real Russian Saiga AK that doesn't have US parts in it. As for shortages I can't get a FN FS2000 or Vz 58 sporter.

I seen elsewhere on here Steyr has teh Aug back and IWI is selling Tavors so that may be my next rifle.

american lockpicker
08-20-13, 20:21
Just wondering...why did you buy it if it was not configured to your preferences?

Only thing I could find that was decent. Before finding the Colt I had seen all kinds of shit tier ARs for sale and a single over priced WASR. Had my HK held a standard 30rd mag I would have just stayed with it.

J-Dub
08-20-13, 20:26
Go shoot it. Steel case, 5.56, .223, whatever....just shoot it.

Become familiar with it, find out what you like/don't like, move from there.

strambo
08-20-13, 21:07
Carry handles are obsolete, if I had one I'd cut it down into just a fixed rear iron sight anyway. Even if you aren't mounting optics...the handle part serves no purpose unless you want to carry the carbine like a suitcase (every DI in the military...would have a kitten!)

9 more magazines, a sling, light, and a training course would be great next options.

ShermanM4
08-20-13, 22:05
I got a new Colt M4(LE6920 I think.) I'm happy to have found a real Colt M4

Just FYI, a REAL Colt M4 is select fire and has a 14.5" barrel.

thebarracuda
08-20-13, 22:12
I hope you enjoy your new rifle. As others have said, lube it and shoot it. Run it hard. Make it smoke. Shoot good ammo, and junk. See how it performs. Most rifles really settle in after pumping a few hundred to a thousand rounds through them. You can't hurt it. Have fun.

fallenangelhim
08-20-13, 22:34
Hey, it's your gun, do what you want with it. But I side with our brethren in saying go shoot the gun to make sure it goes bang.

Hornbuckle
08-20-13, 23:49
Attend some training classes to enhance your skills. There's always something to learn; even on a platform that you think you know. Simply pointing the gun at a target and making it go bang does not prepare one for a self/home defense scenario. It does teach you how to pull the trigger and make a loud noise.

Col_Crocs
08-21-13, 00:07
I just got this as a defensive weapon not a range toy.

I know it works so I'd like to make it look more like a traditional AR then throw it in the closet until I need it.

All the more reason to train with it. A couple of magazines or a couple hundred rounds is nothing.
Not trying to be an ass but you have it backwards... you could do as you're doing now if it is a range toy but definitely not if it' a defensive weapon.

JusticeM4
08-21-13, 04:40
Just FYI, a REAL Colt M4 is select fire and has a 14.5" barrel.

Technically, it IS a Colt M4 as it is on the actual rollmark. But the semiauto version of course.

Iraqgunz
08-21-13, 05:24
This thread is starting to make less and less sense. Go shoot it and let then make some changes.