PDA

View Full Version : SIG P224 - The Scoop?

gtmtnbiker98
08-20-13, 14:57
So, what's the scoop on the SIG P224? Good or bad or wait?

ra2bach
08-20-13, 17:57
So, what's the scoop on the SIG P224? Good or bad or wait?

haven't heard much but it's interesting...

bluejackets92fs
08-20-13, 18:04
For something released at shot show 2012, they sure are taking their sweet time getting them out. I am yet to see one in a store.

EchoHotel
08-20-13, 20:17
We have them at gander mountain in Toledo Ohio. It reminds me of a cut down 229 with a p250 action stuck in it.

SmokinSigs357
08-21-13, 11:15
I loved the idea behind it and was saving up for one when the DA/SA models came out.

I fondled one at a gun show and, to be honest with you, the grip was way to small for my liking. It's still a thick, double-stack gun...pointless for me, because you could just as easily conceal a P229.

ggammell
08-21-13, 17:59
It's very close in size to an M&P 9/40c. Except 7 or 8 ounces heavier and a lot more expensive. And it is a bit hard to find.

big_pErm
08-21-13, 19:01
Saw 2 at Gander Mtn in Roanoke, VA today. Neat concept but not crazy about the trigger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mr_Happy1
08-21-13, 23:43
I saw one around the beginning of the year. I was really looking forward to it, until I held it. It is basically the same size as an M&P Compact, however, the grip felt much fatter. It was also very heavy. At the time, I was carrying my P2000sk and I thought that my carry gun was smaller and MUCH lighter. The grip was also a better fit for me. After handling it, I didn't even try the trigger, it was hate at first touch.

Miami_JBT
08-23-13, 19:35
I never found it that great. The wife and I came across.it at 2012 SHOT and it just seemed a bad idea. The ergonomics of it was all wrong. I think it's going to be a flop like the Sig P250.

RHINOWSO
08-25-13, 16:56
Mr Bruce Gray of GGI posted his opinion on S/F, he is of the technical opinion having seen examples come through his shop leading him to conclude that the weapon suffers from not enough recoil spring strength, due to the short area available, at least with the 40S&W model, leading to a number of issues.

Originally posted by Grayguns:
I am appreciative of this opportunity to offer an opinion on the 224, and other related subjects.

After working on a few of these in .40 calibre and trying to shoot them, I've come to see the 224 negatively. This is despite my admiration for a few clever and sensible innovations that the designers incorporated to solve a few likely issues with durability. Unfortunately, they seem to have created as many more.

The design lacks spring tunnel space for an adequate recoil spring. Thus, at least in .40, this pistol is woefully under-sprung. When shooting, I can feel the slide stalling as it starts to strip the next round from the magazine. I've also experienced some FTF's that can be attributed to that, as well as to the questionable long extractor.

The extractor can be fitted to feed, pretty much, but there is no solution to the inadequate recoil spring issue.

My advice? Pass.

-Bruce

Unfortunately SIGs issues over the past couple of years leads me to not even consider a new model for 12-24 months.

Probably why I only currently have 1 SIG, my first pistol ever, a 1995 P220/45 that is amazing in every regard, aside from the slide finish being easy to wear - but it's a safe / range gun these days and will continue to be.

halo2304
08-25-13, 18:43
I actually got to man-handle the Equinox version this weekend. Extremely unimpressive to the point of it being almost offensive. As was said, the ergonomics are all wrong. The grip was fat and stubby and the slide, for some reason, felt even wider to the point that I question whether it will fit in any existing holsters. I held it next to a P229 and there's only about 1/2" difference on the muzzle end. The grip was just big enough for two fingers, making for an awkward muzzle-heavy feeling. The P224 felt just as heavy as the P229 but not nearly as well balanced. I think Sig set out to make their version of a G26 and got questionable results, IMHO.
From Sig's website, "The P224 accepts newer P229 magazines, allowing users to carry a full-size spare magazine as a backup to the flush-fit P224 magazine."
The word in Red does not fill me with much confidence. Did they recently change the dimensions of their magazines, making the older mags incompatible?

RHINOWSO
08-25-13, 20:34
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SIG has been working on standardizing P229 mags & frames for some time, as the frames used to be different between 9 and 40/357 versions. But now since the are all on a common frame, some of the older mags wobble a bit.

Honestly as someone who never owned a P229, I've never taken the time wrap my head around the model changes WRT magazine issue.

You could call SIG and I bet they'd have a hard time explaining exactly what is up as well...

Miami_JBT
08-25-13, 21:07
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SIG has been working on standardizing P229 mags & frames for some time, as the frames used to be different between 9 and 40/357 versions. But now since the are all on a common frame, some of the older mags wobble a bit.

Honestly as someone who never owned a P229, I've never taken the time wrap my head around the model changes WRT magazine issue.

You could call SIG and I bet they'd have a hard time explaining exactly what is up as well...

I've been a GLOCK my the majority of my life and have always lusted after Sig's rifles but their pistols never caught my interest unt the Sig Pro series. So far the Sig Pro series is the only handgun I'll own from 'em other then my 522.

RHINOWSO
08-25-13, 21:41
I've been a GLOCK my the majority of my life and have always lusted after Sig's rifles but their pistols never caught my interest unt the Sig Pro series. So far the Sig Pro series is the only handgun I'll own from 'em other then my 522.
SIG Pro has a solid rep, aside from a slight quality dip when Exeter started making them but that seems to have been rectified.

My first handgun is a German made, 1995 SIG P220/45 and it is amazing. I don't use it for anything anymore, but it's such a nice weapon that I can't see myself selling it.

I did recently purchase a P290RS, which I have wanted but been unwilling to buy until they got the bugs worked out, but I'll have to see how mine works out as they are still occasionally hit or miss.

halo2304
08-26-13, 20:52
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting to know. I knew the P239 had different magazines for the 9mm and the .40/.357 versions, but didn't know it extended to other models. If the old mags rattled but still worked, I don't think I'd have any issues. That said, the P224 is probably the last model I'd ever buy.