PDA

View Full Version : Planning my next build. Semi auto precision 223

danpass
08-20-13, 20:44
I thought I had it planned out. But now I'm thinking 18in barrel (vs 20)

I have a pinned 14.5 middy and a NMA2 which of course is 20in.

Hence the 18in option with rifle gas. I see absolutely zero point in a 16in … ever. I'm perfectly happy to have a perm muzzle device.

My A2 is a 1/8 with Wylde chamber. It has worked out fine for 77 and 80smk loads. So I'm ok with that.

So who has the ultimate 18in?

The other consideration is I'm fairly settled on a Nightforce scope, 2.5-10x32 NXS Compact, either mildot or velocity reticle. Why not right? lol

So flattop, stock (likely Magpul PRS)

Rail? It would be cool to have a 17-17.5in CMR-like rail option.

SSA-E trigger seems perfect.

Edit: Potential barrels

WOA SPECIAL PURPOSE RIFLE (SPR) Match Barrel, Rifle Length Gas System
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17518&cat=250&page=2

Rainier Arms Match™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 18 SPR
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2902

Rainier Arms UltraMatch™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 18 SPR
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=815

Compass Lake Douglas SS 7 twist SPR
http://www.compasslake.com/

EDIT 2: Possible Upper combo (no glass)

Rainier Arms UltraMatch Billet Upper ---Configuration: A4 Upper
Rainier Arms Precision Match Grade Nickel Boron BCG
Rainier Arms UltraMatch™ .223 Wylde Barrel - 18 SPR
PRI MSTN QC Brake .223 ---Color: Stainless Steel
Rainier Arms Evolution Free Float System - 15.0
Rainier Arms Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle - 5.56MM
Gas Block: Rainier Arms Low Profile Match Grade ---Model: Stainless Steel
Gas Tube ---Size: Rifle
Gas Tube Roll Pin

Guns-up.50
08-20-13, 22:42
Centurion arms makes a fine option at a more than fair price. Scope you got a winner with n/f

masan
08-21-13, 09:26
The Velocity reticle for the Nightforce is really very nice, and if you decide you do not like it, the cost to send your scope back to nightforce and have that mil dot reticle installed is pretty low.

danpass
08-21-13, 10:12
Centurion arms makes a fine option at a more than fair price. Scope you got a winner with n/f
I built my middy and it is certainly more to build than to buy :o but it is fun to build :D

taliv
08-21-13, 10:13
my 18" build earlier this year is detailed in this thread https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=129224

admittedly, i haven't shot it yet, because i'm still waiting on my scope to get repaired... but i got a tremendous deal and since it's a rock creek barrel that had been chambered by compass lake, my expectations are quite high. i've had great luck with AR barrels from both companies in the past, and the specs were pretty much exactly what i would order if i were picking a custom one

this was the ad on the hide

Specs are.
Price is $225.00 plus shipping
.223 Wylde chamber
18; finish
Rifle length gas system
muzzle threaded 1/2-28
Chrome Lined
Chrome Moly Vanadium steel
7 twist 6 groove rifling
M4 feed ramps
Parkerized finish

2 lb 9 oz

1; for 1.30;

0.850; to gas port

0.750; for 2.75;

0.724; for 1.75;

BrigandTwoFour
08-21-13, 10:56
How is it going to be used? Hitting targets in the everglades or hunting pigs?

My first instinct is to say 18" barrel in the form of BCM SS410, Noveske, Centurion DMR, or Rainier Ultramatch. But 20" will give you just that extra little bit of velocity if you really wanted to stretch it out there and aren't concerned with carrying it or being mobile.

The softest shooting rifle is going to have the full length rifle spring. The PRS is good if you don't need to carry or be mobile. An A2 or Magpul MOE rifle if you don't need the adjustments. You could also consider an A5 tube/spring/buffer with the fixed carbine stock (depending on your desired LOP).

Use a MUR receiver and I think you'd have a sweet shooter. I've gone back and forth between 18" or 20" for a precision oriented AR for a long time. But I ultimately decided that it wasn't going to fit a need that I couldn't already do between my 16" AR -15 and a 18" .308 AR. Whenever I get back to a free state, I fully plan on shrinking one of the 5.56 guns down to a 11.5" or 12.5" stainless barrel.

decodeddiesel
08-21-13, 12:06
OP, what sort of budget are you on? I was a little confused from your other posts, are you wanting to build your new rifle or purchase something OTS?

danpass
08-21-13, 12:10
No budget really. But as a result I anticipate taking a year to build it out.

Consider, if I can even get one, the NF scopes are what, $1100-$1300, by itself?

steyrman13
08-21-13, 12:21
No budget really. But as a result I anticipate taking a year to build it out.

Consider, if I can even get one, the NF scopes are what, $1100-$1300, by itself?

Closer to 1400-1800. New

decodeddiesel
08-21-13, 13:11
If I had the money, I would just get on Monty's list for a MK12 MOD1 upper from him at Centurion Arms and be done with it. Really hard to top this for a 18" SPR. His other SPR'ish upper look pretty cool as well.

I have been slowly building out an SPR for the last year or so. I am working around a Rainier Ultra-Match. Still no rail at the moment, and no optics (watching every 2.5-10x24 NF that comes up on Ebay). Tough to build an SPR while unemployed/starving grad student, luckily that has recently changed. :haha:

steyrman13
08-21-13, 13:14
If I had the money, I would just get on Monty's list for a MK12 MOD1 upper from him at Centurion Arms and be done with it. Really hard to top this for a 18" SPR. His other SPR'ish upper look pretty cool as well.

I have been slowly building out an SPR for the last year or so. I am working around a Rainier Ultra-Match. Still no rail at the moment, and no optics (watching every 2.5-10x24 NF that comes up on Ebay). Tough to build an SPR while unemployed/starving grad student, luckily that has recently changed. :haha:

There is a Moa/with mildot and mil/mil on snipershide

ShootinRN
08-21-13, 20:07
I've gone both routes as far builder and barrel length mentioned here and have been pretty happy.

I have a Centurion Recce in 16" and a BCM SS410 barreled in 18". They wear a Vortex 1-4 and 4-16 PST's respectively.
One speaks with a Geissele SDC and the other a RR 2 stage. No comparison between the two. I was fortunate to be at Perry this year and was able to try every trigger JG makes and hands down for me the best I've pulled.

Really, the heart of any rifle is the barrel and the trigger connects the shooter's will to it. Both rifles have taken groundhogs at 400+ yards and have rung steel at 700. I'm not hear to start an argument about 16" vs. 18" but shooting the same the ammo I switched my optic from the 16" to the 18" and had a 4 foot shift in elevation at 300 yards. The only thing I could account for was velocity and even then I'm not sure. Just something to consider when it's brought up about only a 2" difference. For me there was, but it was not a controlled test as I was just switching optics using a QD mount.

Good luck with your build. I waited/saved almost 2 years to piece together my Centurion:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n162/pescadordomosca/FE43CF33-EFA2-4DC7-BE12-E2EA9117DF53-17091-0000184E4FBE4F80_zps072c0515.jpg

danpass
08-21-13, 20:16
Nice.

I shoot Service Rifle as well (Perry once so far)

My 14.5 is my "16in er" if that makes sense.

My A2 is my "20in er"

So if figure I'll complete the non NFA set with an 18in :D

This would just be for target shooting. Maybe even a few prone matches of whatever it would be legit for.

BrigandTwoFour
08-21-13, 20:36
Well, hell. If you already have a 20" service rifle, go for the 18" to round out the collection.

Nice 18" barrel, Seekins ATC brake, Geissele SD-E (my favorite), and a PRS. Slap on a nice piece of glass and I bet it would be a world class shooter.

danpass
08-24-13, 08:33
Barrel update in op

decodeddiesel
08-24-13, 09:19
All of those barrels are obviously strong performers and I don't think you would really notice any difference unless you are shooting for groups with tailored handloads. Even then, it won't be much.

My vote would be for the CL Douglas, simply because of the authenticity.

danpass
08-26-13, 13:43
EDIT2 in op

Noodles
08-26-13, 16:54
I see absolutely zero point in a 16in … ever. I'm perfectly happy to have a perm muzzle device.
OOOOokkkkk.... If you say so. Let me know if you ever want to change your rail/barrel nut, gas block, or muzzle device. All for 1.5" whole inches.

The other consideration is I'm fairly settled on a Nightforce scope, 2.5-10x32 NXS Compact, either mildot or velocity reticle.
There is nothing wrong with that scope, except I'd HIGHLY recommend you skip the V reticle and do mildot instead. Except that NF's mildot for the scope is traditional mildot right? I'm not a fan of that either but it's still s better than any BDC. Vortex EBR, Leupold TMR, any of the more modern milling reticles are more desirable.

stock (likely Magpul PRS)
Egads! Um, ok, that's your choice. Imo you have to give up a lot of versatility with that stock for what it offers

CMR is nice, I have an SSA-E I'd definitely buy again, etc.

Of all the barrels you listed, personally, I wouldn't buy any of them. I think 18" is fine. But... Neither Noveske or KAC do an 18" rifle length, they've moved to intermediate lengths for that. So, 16" midlength because you already have a 20", 18" Noveske Intermediate length, or 20" rifle, any good brand.

I'll tell you straight up though... The amazing part about 5.56 in something like a properly set up 16" carbine is that it can wear a QD Aimpoint and fully run a carbine class and tactics, then switch out for a QD Scope, clip a bipod on an immediately be set up to shoot out to 800y. Same gun. That's pretty damn cool.

It sounds to me like you're building a heavy 18" which is fine. But you already have a 20"... so what role are you filling with this gun that your others won't?

danpass
08-26-13, 19:06
My 20in is an A2 for Highpower which requires iron sights.

So why not a Mk12 inspired rifle :D

Noodles
08-26-13, 19:14
My 20in is an A2 for Highpower which requires iron sights.

So why not a Mk12 inspired rifle :D

Answer that question literally? Because the limitations placed on the military are more restrictive than that of the civilian. The question would be why would anyone subject themselves to the same limitations and decisions! I get that some people want the military style part, but imo it's just playing dress up with your toys.

If you think there is anything a 16" can't do that an 18" can... well.... Discussion over I guess. You should know it's a 50-75fps difference between the two. One works well as a carbine and a precision gun, the other is for the most part better suited at just staying a precision gun. I don't know. I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

I was in this very same position. Ended up with a 16" gun (I have a thread here on it) that I think I'm VERY lucky I ended up with!

danpass
08-26-13, 19:19
Yeah I know.

Mk12 inspired, not duplicated.

Perhaps try my hand at F/TR matches.

What role does it fill? The 'want' role really.

My A2 is for reaching Distinguished.

My middy is for HD and classes.

2ac
08-29-13, 11:55
I went with a Centurion Arms DMR VLTOR VIS upper and couldn't be happier. I'm also using a SSA-E trigger and it now wears a Vortex 3-10x32 PST.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn237/chorizoisgood/Snapbucket/A83793CB.jpg

danpass
09-11-13, 09:26

Ok, so in 3-4 months (you know, Christmas!) I'll have these items :D

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17518&cat=250&page=2

Low Profile Gas Block, Stainless Steel
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17784&cat=&page=1

Gas Tube Roll Pin

decodeddiesel
09-11-13, 16:04

Ok, so in 3-4 months (you know, Christmas!) I'll have these items :D

Low Profile Gas Block, Stainless Steel
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17784&cat=&page=1

Gas Tube Roll Pin

Well the price is right compared to the Douglas barrel with a Badger/KAC/DD gas block.

Is that the quoted lead time, 3-4 months?

danpass
09-11-13, 17:06
that's what she said :)

ShootinRN
09-11-13, 21:31
Nice, I have a pinned upper and barrel on order and was quoted 6 months around July. Sounds like things are catching up!!

danpass
09-27-13, 15:24
looks like an early Christmas. A bit too early lol

The WOA items shipped out yesterday :ph34r:

danpass
10-01-13, 20:26
looks like an early Christmas. A bit too early lol

The WOA items shipped out yesterday :ph34r:

well, the barrel and parts have arrived lol.

The barrel is stamped 08-13.

The pieces are works of art, just as good looking as the photos on the site. :D

decodeddiesel
10-02-13, 08:26
Wow, 3 weeks! :eek:

I have wanted to get my hands on a WOA barrel for some time. I think I might place an order sharpish.

1slow01Z71
10-03-13, 10:44
I placed an order in the morning for a woa sdm barrel and she quoted me 4 months, she then called me after lunch and said it was ready to ship so I didnt argue. Im doing a buikd almost exactly like yours except I went with a 20" and it will wear an swfa 3-15. Ive got a vortex 2.5-10x32 on my 300blk and while iy is nice I prefer a little more magnification for longer range work.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/1slow01z71/20131002_190126_zpsd8afb5c4.jpg
I weny with the 16.7 nsr to knock down a little weight and get the bipod as far forward as possible.