PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner shoots, kills escaped prisoner in Iowa

platoonDaddy
08-21-13, 12:39
Yea, one for the good guys! Wonder load he was using in the shotgun.

BEDFORD, Iowa – Authorities say an escaped inmate suspected of shooting a southwest Iowa sheriff's deputy has been killed by a homeowner who said the armed man broke into his house.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/21/homeowner-shoots-escaped-prisoner-in-southwest-iowa/

CodeRed30
08-21-13, 16:46
"...after 4 hours"

Yeahhhhh, that took WAY too long. Should've got dealt with upon entry to the home.

Either way, good riddance.

platoonDaddy
08-21-13, 17:18
"...after 4 hours"

Yeahhhhh, that took WAY too long. Should've got dealt with upon entry to the home.

That is an excellent point, that also confused me.

TAZ
08-22-13, 14:41
Still trying to wrap my head around the whole 4 hours thing. Why was this guy in the home for hours?? Did he take the old couple hostage and they then got to a gun or what? Infant imagine being in a standoff for hours inside my own home.

Moltke
08-22-13, 15:12
Hooray.

Airhasz
08-22-13, 15:38
Home owner should get invited to the white house or at least key to the local city he lives in and be the poster child for the NRA.

SteyrAUG
08-22-13, 17:13
"...after 4 hours"

Real shootouts aren't scripted.

And if the bad guy is waiting for the owner to peek his head around the corner so he can be shot and the homeowner is doing the same thing...it can take some time.

CodeRed30
08-25-13, 15:57
Real shootouts aren't scripted.

Please. Do tell me more about gunfights as I have no experience with them.

SteyrAUG
08-25-13, 16:12
Please. Do tell me more about gunfights as I have no experience with them.

I don't recall making any comments about what experience you may or may not have. Just pointing out that in situations like this, it isn't like in the movies. But since you want to be flippant about it.

Let me try this, a guy in Iowa having a gunfight with an armed intruder isn't quite the same as what happens in combat. The guy in Iowa usually has little or no training, doesn't have a "take the hill" objective and typically is scared to death.

Given that it can take four hours.

Sorry if you took my comment as condescension, but you were the guy who came here with the original comment about how it took too long and the intruder "Should've got dealt with upon entry to the home."

I'm sure that is how it would go down in your home given your experience and all that. But a retired farmer of 71 isn't gonna have the same experience or ability. Given that he was going up against an escape that shot a deputy, I think he did pretty good and I think it is poor form to criticize because it "took too long."

Arctic1
08-26-13, 02:54
Here is a CNN article with some more info:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/20/justice/iowa-escaped-inmate-shot/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Long -- who had allegedly shot a deputy pursuing him on Sunday -- woke up the Mauderlys and disabled their landline phones except for a line in the couple's bedroom. He then took a shotgun that Jerome Mauderly, a retired prison guard and farmer, had loaded that night and placed next to the bed before going to sleep.

"(The Mauderlys) knew the situation. There was an escaped inmate, armed and dangerous. They were not the only people in the community that had loaded weapons that night," Mortvedt said.

The Mauderlys' home is isolated, surrounded by cornfields with the nearest neighbor about a mile away.

Long took the shotgun from the bedroom and moved it to the kitchen. He held the Mauderlys hostage at gunpoint for about four hours while he rummaged through their home for supplies and used their cell phone.

Around 2 a.m. Tuesday, while Long was upstairs looking for supplies, Jerome Mauderly sneaked into the kitchen and recovered his shotgun, Mortvedt said. Carolyn Mauderly called 911 from their bedroom. When Long walked down the stairs, Jerome Mauderly shot him in the torso. Long was found lying face down in the kitchen, Mortvedt said.

"(Long) had a handgun but was described as non-confrontational," Mortvedt said. "After about four hours, Long let the Mauderlys out of sight, then Jerome Mauderly recovered the shotgun and shot and killed Long.

The intruder held the couple at gunpoint for 4 hours, while looking for supplies. He went upstairs, homeowner took back his shotgun and shot the guy in the torso when he came back down.

There was no gunfight....

So, a piece of friendly advice, before assuming anything, do the research first.

SteyrAUG
08-26-13, 12:27
Here is a CNN article with some more info:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/20/justice/iowa-escaped-inmate-shot/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The intruder held the couple at gunpoint for 4 hours, while looking for supplies. He went upstairs, homeowner took back his shotgun and shot the guy in the torso when he came back down.

There was no gunfight....

So, a piece of friendly advice, before assuming anything, do the research first.

Pretty good work for a 71 year old farmer.

As for assumptions, that's why I used the word "if."

CodeRed30
08-27-13, 23:10
Sorry if you took my comment as condescension,

It was taken as such. Apology accepted. Thank you for extending the olive branch.

As for my form, I'm ok with it.

SteyrAUG
08-27-13, 23:17
It was taken as such. Apology accepted. Thank you for extending the olive branch.

As for my form, I'm ok with it.

Just so we are clear, it was frustration, not condescension. Sometimes folks on gun forums hold ordinary home owners to Rambo standards.

As for your form, if you are cool with criticizing 71 year old farmers for not getting the drop on an armed prison escapee, I don't think I'm gonna be able to change anything.

I'm just glad it worked out the way it did, lots of times it goes the other way.

Ridgerunner665
08-27-13, 23:55
Never underestimate country folks...

It may sound a little cliche...but Hank Jr. said it best.

CodeRed30
08-28-13, 02:33
Just so we are clear, it was frustration, not condescension. Sometimes folks on gun forums hold ordinary home owners to Rambo standards.

Maybe not to the extent of Rambo, but consider me inadvertently guilty of that.