PDA

View Full Version : Driving north through ememy territory, WWYD?

tyrebitr
08-21-13, 14:53
Driving from Carolina to NH this weekend. Avoiding I-95 and all the metropoli but will still be going through Maryland and New York who are very unfriendly. Being an old, gun-toting southerner, I feel naked without my pistol. I typically carry a 9mm with 15 rounds. If I download my mags to 7, will that pass muster in Yankee land?

newyork
08-21-13, 15:41
No. You are not a registered handgun holder in NY or NYC. Either lock it in the trunk separate from ammo and drive straight through NYC or prove that you are in an NRA sanctioned event which is the only way to allow you to have a pistol in NY. The new 15 rd mags are just flat out illegal. Preban 15 rd mags won't work anymore either.

1911-A1
08-21-13, 15:47
Go over the Tappan Zee bridge and avoid NYC completely. That will help, but not solve your issues.

ST911
08-21-13, 15:56
Good thread here:

"Travelling through NY and NJ: what to do w/ AR and mags"
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131504

PatrioticDisorder
08-21-13, 16:11
Go over the Tappan Zee bridge and avoid NYC completely. That will help, but not solve your issues.

You do realize that overly costly ride over the Tappan Zee is in NY right?

OP, I fled that state because it's the North American Kommunist motherland. I'd recommend bringing a gun that holds 10 or less rounds with you and keeping everything unloaded & locked up in the trunk. Even people who've had to switch flights in NY, including those who's plans had to detour and land in NY have been arrested when they try to board their next flight for possessing a handgun in NY. It is literally like being in a kommunist dictatorship and not a free country.

glocktogo
08-21-13, 17:46
What is in NH you need to get to so badly that you're willing to cross behind enemy lines to get there? :confused:

tyrebitr
08-21-13, 19:26
Thanks for all the info.

My plan is to avoid all the east coast cities by going up I-81 to Binghamton then east to Schenectady and through Vermont. This keeps me out of NYC, NJ, Mass and Conn.

Perhaps I'll take a couple of wheel guns and just lock them away while in NY. Why am I going..... To get lost in the great north woods of Maine for a couple of weeks.

CobraBG
08-21-13, 19:53
I would not bring a firearm at all. I just returned from a visit to East Hampton in Long Island and wanted to bring either a handgun or my Remington 870.

Not wanting any hassle I called the NY State Police and spoke to a trooper. I explained that I had a concealed permit in PA and understood that it was not honored in NY. I wanted to know what I needed to do to bring a handgun or shotgun/rifle to NY. He explained to me that any firearm was illegal. I asked if it was transported unloaded and locked in an area that was inaccessible from the drivers area would that be legal... he said no if I was not a NY resident. I was able to get him to state that a knife with a blade of 4" max was legal.

I brought a folder in my pocket (3.5" blade). Maybe he was wrong?:confused: I have traveled through NY on the way to CT and RI before and carried a shotgun (unloaded). I always thought that it was legal, that an unloaded shotgun/rifle was okay, but a handgun was not Now I think I was stupid/lucky then. Again, maybe he was wrong, but to me I am not taking the chance of being stopped, having it found and being arrested.

onado2000
08-21-13, 20:06
IMO. Drive the speed limit, dont draw attention, be anonymous. If you decide to go thru with it, keep it to yourself. if I were to do that I would disassemble the gun, keep parts locked in trunk until you get to the 'live free or die' state. Carry a hammer or long wrench in the car just in case you need tool & car breaks down. pocket knife may work.

Rayrevolver
08-21-13, 20:24
In Maryland we are only allowed to transport weapons to and from a shooting event. Reading the law, it sounds like stopping for gas or food with a firearm in your car is illegal here, even for Maryland residents!

I have no idea what would happen if you were pulled over while passing through the state. Maybe nothing if the pistol was locked up and ammo separated/not loaded in magazines. Or you could get locked up forever.

Good luck.

cdb
08-21-13, 20:48
Driving from Carolina to NH this weekend. Avoiding I-95 and all the metropoli but will still be going through Maryland and New York who are very unfriendly. Being an old, gun-toting southerner, I feel naked without my pistol. I typically carry a 9mm with 15 rounds. If I download my mags to 7, will that pass muster in Yankee land?

Maryland has no limit on capacity or loading for magazines brought with you into the state. If you're covered by FOPA (e.g. not starting or ending your trip in MD) you ought to fine. All the same, I certainly wouldn't consent to a search or volunteer any info if you did happen to get pulled over.

QuietOne
08-21-13, 20:48
It's not that bad. Drive a boring car or truck. Be boring. Wear normal clothes. Don't have gun accessories, books, magazines, etc. visible in your car. Don't have pro gun bumperstickers on your vehicle. Once you get to VT, NH or ME no one will care what you do.

Pi3
08-21-13, 21:02
UPS. Don't risk it. Just go naked.

Wake27
08-21-13, 21:08
My fiance is going up to NJ for work and I am planning on accompanying her at least once so I have been trying to figure out the same thing. I decided not to even try it. I read an article the other day about a guy traveling through NY with his firearms. He had them in cases, separated from ammo and everything, but the cases weren't locked. Some cops decided to peek in the car, saw unlocked gun cases and now he's spending 3-4 years in prison. That's a big deal. Don't forget that also means he can never legally own a firearm again.

As for the argument of being inconspicuous and not breaking the law. ****ing stupid. You never know when or why you may get pulled over. The only time I've ever been pulled over was because one of my license plate lights was out. Sure, I could have caught it, but how many of you do PCC/PCI's that detailed every time you get behind the wheel? Even then, if police want to pull you over, they'll figure out a way to do it. Sad to say, but seems like a lot of police in these areas are just the same as the politicians. Not all of course, but enough for it to be a consideration.

My solution, carry a legal blade and do everything possible to be competent with it before you go. I started with the Panteo videos from James Williams on blades. Far from ideal, but the best thing I can do. YMMV as always.

Army Chief
08-21-13, 21:11
This has been a regular route of travel over the years for our family as well (NC to NH). All I can tell you is to know the law, be aware of the areas that represent the greatest threat to your safety and/or freedom and do whatever it is that you feel needs to be done.

I either travel the entire route armed as per usual while observing all other laws as carefully as I can, or I leave everything at home so as not to risk my freedoms and just pay closer attention to my environment while underway. No need to really tell you which of these two statements is actually accurate, however, as this is an individual call that only you can make.

AC

Five_Point_Five_Six
08-21-13, 21:32
You could always call Governor Cuomo or Mayor Bloomberg and ask if they could loan you one of their armed guards for the duration of your visit.

glocktogo
08-21-13, 22:18
Maryland has no limit on capacity or loading for magazines brought with you into the state. If you're covered by FOPA (e.g. not starting or ending your trip in MD) you ought to fine. All the same, I certainly wouldn't consent to a search or volunteer any info if you did happen to get pulled over.

This can't be stated enough. Just ask them to write the ticket and let you continue your peaceable travel. If they ask, even repeatedly, the answer is "No Sir" or "No Ma'am".

CAVDOC
08-21-13, 22:40
Cobra the trooper you talked to was wrong on multiple counts! There is no blade length limit for knives outside of the city and any rifle or shotgun that is not considered an assault weapon and holds ten rounds or less is perfectly legal for anyone to possess ( we do have a law that states you can't have a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle) also state wise no requirement to have the long gun or ammo locked .
Handguns are a no go- while the fopa ( firearms owners protection act) allows you to pass through ny with a locked unloaded long gun this fed law is frequently ignored by many in ny le. Our latest legislation now states a magazine can only be loaded to seven rounds max unless at a range where it may be loaded to a max of ten. Even the pre ban mags previously legal for us are now to be permanently modded to accept no more than ten rounds or sold out of state

jck397
08-22-13, 03:35
Disclaimer: I am not providing legal advice, and consult with a competent attorney about specific legal questions.

Now that that is out of the way...

See the "safe passage" provision of the Firearm Owners Protection Act, 18 USC 926(A). My understanding that if you are transporting from A to C, and you can legally possess the weapon in both A and C, you can transport it directly through B, even if you couldn't lawfully possess it in B. I would not hang around B for anything other than driving straight through.

When I travel out of state and rely on reciprocity or something that an officer might not immediately know/understand, I print out copies of the relevant statutes from that jurisdiction so I can immediately provide law enforcement with the citation to what allows me to do what I'm doing. I've never had to use it, but it's cheap insurance.

PatrioticDisorder
08-22-13, 06:42
I wouldn't hang my hat on being protected by FOPA, NY seems to wipe their ass with FOPA, I don't even consider NY part of the USA because of shit like this. Regarding shotguns & rifles, OUTSIDE NYC SOME are legal if you're just passing through, make sure the shotgun can hold no more than 5 rounds, rifle capable of holding no more than 10 rounds but UNLOADED of course. Make sure neither the rifle or shotgun has none of the "evil" features. Basically bring with you an unloaded FUDD rifle or shotgun if you possess one.

Watrdawg
08-22-13, 07:12
I travel back and forth to DC at least 5-7 times a year and always leave my weapons home. I also make sure I don't have any ammo in my vehicle. I hate it but I know that I'm not going to be thrown in jail for some type of weapons violation. As soon as I get out of DC and into Virginia I feel a bit safer even though I'm not carrying. I always feel a LOT cleaner too. I guess that is because I'm done dealing with politicians and going back to a somewhat normal environment.

ginzomatic
08-22-13, 07:27
OP, I periodically make a similar trip home every couple of months. Taking 81 is smart, then 84 across, then up north again. That way you are completely out of NYC proper, and in NY state for a minimum.

tyrebitr
08-22-13, 08:23
I appreciate all the feedback. It's a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in today.

CobraBG
08-22-13, 13:20
Cobra the trooper you talked to was wrong on multiple counts! There is no blade length limit for knives outside of the city and any rifle or shotgun that is not considered an assault weapon and holds ten rounds or less is perfectly legal for anyone to possess ( we do have a law that states you can't have a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle) also state wise no requirement to have the long gun or ammo locked .
Handguns are a no go- while the fopa ( firearms owners protection act) allows you to pass through ny with a locked unloaded long gun this fed law is frequently ignored by many in ny le. Our latest legislation now states a magazine can only be loaded to seven rounds max unless at a range where it may be loaded to a max of ten. Even the pre ban mags previously legal for us are now to be permanently modded to accept no more than ten rounds or sold out of state

Thanks, I had my doubts about his answers. As you note though the FOPA is frequently ignored. I have no interest in being detained while I struggle to make my point and finally am released (hopefully without the expense of a lawyer). Sounds like I have been okay in the past traveling with an unloaded shotgun. Perhaps I will go this route on my next trip. I would rather be unarmed than be subjected to legal hassle even if eventually I win.

glocktogo
08-22-13, 14:02
Thanks, I had my doubts about his answers. As you note though the FOPA is frequently ignored. I have no interest in being detained while I struggle to make my point and finally am released (hopefully without the expense of a lawyer). Sounds like I have been okay in the past traveling with an unloaded shotgun. Perhaps I will go this route on my next trip. I would rather be unarmed than be subjected to legal hassle even if eventually I win.

Just keep a copy of the relevant federal law with the gun. Not that it will stop an ignorant jackass from harassing you, but then they can't say they weren't made aware of the federal law. :(

coltm4223
08-22-13, 20:53
I do feel sorry for you guys, just got back from a trip here in the great southwest. I crossed three states and had three guns with me, a S&W 442 in my pocket, a S&W M&P45 loaded up plus 2-14rd mags in a POK on the passenger seat and a loaded M4 plus 4 mags in my trunk. At no time was I violating any law. I grew up in CT so I always feel sorry for my friends and relatives. Traveling with firearms doesn't even require a post like this or a second thought.

As a side note when I moved away I changed my CT State Pistol Permit to an non-resident permit (really easy) and I keep a Sig P220 stashed at my sister's house in CT so I don't have to bother with that hassle flying.

PatrioticDisorder
08-22-13, 20:59
As a side note when I moved away I changed my CT State Pistol Permit to an non-resident permit (really easy) and I keep a Sig P220 stashed at my sister's house in CT so I don't have to bother with that hassle flying.

That's smart, God forbid your flight is forced to land at LaGuardia or JFK... That would be a bad day.

Ed L.
08-22-13, 22:16
Just keep a copy of the relevant federal law with the gun. Not that it will stop an ignorant jackass from harassing you, but then they can't say they weren't made aware of the federal law. :(

I don't know that this would help him in NY State with regard to transporting a handgun. It definitely would not help in NYC.

I know there is some NY State law on the books that allows one to transport a handgun into the state for NRA competition providing you keep the gun unloaded and locked up when you are not at that competition. I would still expect you to have trouble if caught that might involve an arrest. NY City does not recognize this exemption and does not recognize NY State permits.

In short, I would bring a NY State legal longarm. This is even legal in NYC providing that it is transported through unloaded in a locked case.

glocktogo
08-22-13, 23:28
I do feel sorry for you guys, just got back from a trip here in the great southwest. I crossed three states and had three guns with me, a S&W 442 in my pocket, a S&W M&P45 loaded up plus 2-14rd mags in a POK on the passenger seat and a loaded M4 plus 4 mags in my trunk. At no time was I violating any law. I grew up in CT so I always feel sorry for my friends and relatives. Traveling with firearms doesn't even require a post like this or a second thought.

Word. I made two trips from the Heartland to the East Coast this year and legally had a G-19 on my hip and a G-26 in the glove box the entire way. The NE corridor has nothing I'll ever want bad enough to put up with that BS! :mad:

CAVDOC
08-23-13, 12:03
I mis spoke in my earlier post- I meant to say fopa does not do you any good in ny regarding transport of pistols. Long guns and magazines that do not violate our most recent safe act legislation would be perfectly fine to travel through with. So say an 870 riot gun unloaded in the trunk is fine. Our crazy legislation right now makes even a so called ban compliant ar with a fully loaded ten round mag with it illegal, but a regular stock mini 14 with seven rounds in a ten round mag is ok. Don't try to make sense or logic out of it as there is none to be had.

G woody
08-23-13, 12:51
I had to make a similar trip (Va. to NH & VT) a couple of years ago. I was invited to bring a shotgun for some informal trap shooting. I carried an over/under broken down. I went up I-81 and avoided the same places some of you did. Since I was in a SUV I couldn't lock the shotgun in the trunk. I felt semi-naked without a handgun. Crazy world. What is legal in one state can get you 2-5 in another !!! Reminds me of the old song "one foot over the line".