PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Options???

jerhelo
08-21-13, 15:19
I am finishing up a new build and deciding on a trigger. I have a Daniels Defense Lower parts kit and have been told to just add a set of JP springs with the red hammer spring.

My last build I installed a Giesselle SSA trigger and love it but don't want to spend another $200. What are you running, how do you like it???

Kain
08-21-13, 16:51
ALG's offers are well spoken for. Have an ACT on the way and hopefully here by the end of the week.

Tzed250
08-21-13, 20:12
I have the ALG ACT and I like it quite a bit. The more I shoot it the smoother it gets, not that it wasn't smooth right away. To me the ACT, or the QMS, are the way to go.

discreet
08-21-13, 21:40
If not wanting a heavier combat fcg, you can get a cmc flat or curved 3.5lb fcg for around 170-175 shipped.

Other than that only real option in my book for budget is ALG. For me I like flat triggers so always run with the CMC's. Of course if I wanted to spend more id get a imfamous g fcg, but I'd rather use money on ammo and training purposes.

Only thing I can think of is your used to a solid and top notch fcg, you may end up rebuying an fcg just because it doesnt match up to your current one.

Guns-up.50
08-21-13, 23:12
Alg if you must, but the dd trigger is just as good, you will have a little less creep and maybe a little crisper with the alg, but the dd is a real good milspec trigger.

jerhelo
08-21-13, 23:17
Alg if you must, but the dd trigger is just as good, you will have a little less creep and maybe a little crisper with the alg, but the dd is a real good milspec trigger.

thanks, I have used them before and like the DD trigger. Was going to use a set of JP springs with the DD rifle but ended up ordering a Geissele G2S this afternoon, compromise from buying another SSA, 40 bucks cheaper too...

Iraqgunz
08-21-13, 23:55
PLEASE BE AWARE THIS ISN'T A CUSTOM BUILD TOPIC. IT BELONGS IN AR GENERAL DISCUSSION.

I am finishing up a new build and deciding on a trigger. I have a Daniels Defense Lower parts kit and have been told to just add a set of JP springs with the red hammer spring.

My last build I installed a Giesselle SSA trigger and love it but don't want to spend another $200. What are you running, how do you like it???

Boba Fett v2
08-22-13, 00:33
I've run ALG ACTs on two of my previous builds and they worked flawlessly. Can't ask for more out of a milspec trigger.

MacA
08-22-13, 11:05
Another vote for the ALG ACT trigger. I have grown accustomed to mil-spec triggers. Some are good and some are REAL BAD. The benefits I have found with the ALG trigger is that it has a very clean and consistant break. It actually gets better with use. I also used the CMC drop-in trigger assembly on my last build. No issues with it, but I just like my ALG better. I am not in to competition shooting. Personal defense and range shooting makes it more than adequate for my needs.

Grand58742
08-22-13, 14:33
I would say of ALG's options, try the QMS. Only difference in the QMS and the ACT is the NiB coating.

I've got both and really cannot tell the difference in the two save the price and one happens to be coated.

223to45
08-22-13, 15:24
I see a lot of recommendation for the ACT. Is there a noticable differance between that and the standard run of mill trigger you get in a LPK??

Was thinking about a upgrade for the wifes.

Grand58742
08-22-13, 15:31
I see a lot of recommendation for the ACT. Is there a noticable differance between that and the standard run of mill trigger you get in a LPK??

Was thinking about a upgrade for the wifes.

The difference I've seen personally is the pull weight and lack of gritty feeling. Out of the box it's crisp and smooth. Lot of factory triggers need a "breaking in" period that's missing from the ALG line.

For me, I'm not planning on putting together another rifle without one.

Tzintzuntzan
08-22-13, 16:17
There will probably be a noticeable benefit to the ALG if you are not someone who doesn't typically get their milspec trigger to lose its creep, i.e. "rock it hard all night long until the break of dawn". If you do manage to get the creep out of your milspec trigger on a regular basis, then you may not have as great an interest in an ALG trigger. Either option will not make you feel like you saved $150 by not getting the SSA, if you know what I mean.

jet66
08-22-13, 16:38
I like the feel of the standard GI trigger, so I went with a QMS in one rifle to try it, and as mentioned above, it's not a whole lot different in feel than a well 'broken-in' trigger. Now from what I have read here, some people have had varied experiences with the feel and weight of some 'milspec' FCG's, even from the same maker/brand, so I guess it could be a bit of a crapshoot to some degree. However, I've yet to hear of that happening with a QMS (that I've seen posted, anyway) so they seem to be pretty consistent, which is always a positive point to consider.

That said, I have a 6920 and two lowers I built myself, one with a QMS and one with a PSA FCG. The Colt and PSA triggers have lost that 'gritty feel' that a lot of triggers start with after shooting several hundred (thousands combined, now) of rounds through each so my experience hasn't made me want to go and change out all of my original triggers with a QMS. I don't notice a palpable difference in any of the three now, long story short. If I was running a build from the ground up with a choice of FCG, it's not a bad option, but if I have a FCG of a reputable maker already then I don't know if it's worth swapping without at least giving the OEM a fair shake first.

We put an ACT in my wife's build, and it feels somewhat 'slicker' or smoother, but I don't know if it is factually so or just my perception from knowing it's coated and/or because of how the coating feels on the finger.

jaxman7
08-22-13, 18:34
OP,

Please use the Orange search button located at the top right. This topic has been talked about ad nauseum. There are some great threads on triggers if you search.

-Jax

SteveS
08-22-13, 18:42
Giesselle SSA trigger ,, no others can compare.

mag
08-22-13, 20:39
Giesselle SSA trigger ,, no others can compare.

I think I have to agree. If you are used to a SSA I bet you will end up wishing you spent the extra $150.

sndmn11
08-22-13, 22:00
I am very happy with my Geissele G2S as I wanted a lighter trigger pull than mil-spec.

thopkins22
08-22-13, 22:24
I'm prone to thinking that if you don't have a specific need for a specific trigger, and are considering asking other people what to put on it...then you don't need anything other than the standard trigger in your LPK.

Particularly if you don't want to spend the money on a Geisselle....

Run what you have until you can articulate what you need in a trigger...and chances are good that you'll simply say I already have what I need.

Agnostic
08-23-13, 22:05
I am very happy with my Geissele G2S as I wanted a lighter trigger pull than mil-spec.

This trigger sounds like it might be a great value. I have read several comments about the G2S that were very positive. It costs less than an SSA. You can get one from G&R if they have them in stock.

This is most likely going to be the next trigger that will go into my lower for my recce-style rifle (16" precision-ish set up).

jerhelo
08-23-13, 22:15
This trigger sounds like it might be a great value. I have read several comments about the G2S that were very positive. It costs less than an SSA. You can get one from G&R if they have them in stock.

This is most likely going to be the next trigger that will go into my lower for my recce-style rifle (16" precision-ish set up).

Actually I spoke with Giessele and they stated that the G2S and the SSA are extremely similar in design and construction, almost identical. The hammer pin installs slightly differently which saves them a tremendous amount of machining time and Steven stated that they are meant to function the same and feel very similar to the SSA. The G2S was made to be able to mass produced and sold to manufacturers as an OE trigger. Same steel, same seers, no laser marking and slightly different hammer installation.

I have an SSA and ordered a G2S, will let you know the differences I feel.