PDA

View Full Version : BCM grip: Mod 1 vs Mod 0

Bill.D
08-22-13, 16:21
Hello guys,

I am looking for some input regarding the BCM grips, preferably from people who have tried both. If you have not tried both, please tell me why you like the version you use.

I am accustomed to the a2 grip, however over the last year or so I've come to realize it's not ideal for the way I shoot now. Especially when shooting from prone. I am leaning towards the mod 0.

Thanks.

Iraqgunz
08-22-13, 16:33
Do you know the difference between the two?

Hello guys,

I am looking for some input regarding the BCM grips, preferably from people who have tried both. If you have not tried both, please tell me why you like the version you use.

I am accustomed to the a2 grip, however over the last year or so I've come to realize it's not ideal for the way I shoot now. Especially when shooting from prone. I am leaning towards the mod 0.

Thanks.

sinlessorrow
08-22-13, 16:43
I use the mod 1 because I like the tang and the fact that its a bit bigger.

Plasman
08-22-13, 17:19
Mod 1 for me. I like the increased length from the trigger to the back of the grip, although the upper portion of the is still too narrow. Really looking forward to the Magpul K2.

Shorts
08-22-13, 19:31
Small girl hands; been using the Mod 1 on the first rifle. I like it compared to the A2 grip because of an easier angle. I hoped the tang made for wider grip/pull. Recently picked up a Mod 0 for a second rifle and I am liking the palm swell profile more than the slimmer Mod 1. It fills my palm better. The swell also subtlety adjusts the wrist angle and seems to impact the trigger pull more than the tang on the Mod 1. That surprised me a little bit. Seems to be more comfortable than the Mod 1. So much so I am thinking of getting rid of the Mod 1 and only using Mod 0.

nml
08-22-13, 19:38
OP- Depends what size gloves you wear

Shorts- ? There should be no width difference or palm swell. Mod 1 = Mod 0 with more plastic up top.

bluejackets92fs
08-22-13, 19:50
I prefer the Mod 0 over the Mod 1 with the extra tang near the trigger guard.

Shorts
08-22-13, 19:52
Shorts- ? There should be no width difference or palm swell. Mod 1 = Mod 0 with more plastic up top.

Let me try this again. I believe the back strap of the Mod 0 is more pronounced (feels rounder to fill the curve of the palm). The Mod 1 feels straighter because of the additional tang. I believe that is where I feel the "palm swell". And I don't think palm swell is the appropriate description though. I should have said 'back strap'.

Hope that clears it up.

Sparky5019
08-22-13, 19:57
I use a mod 1; it feels more filling in my hand and puts it lower so my trigger finger is straighter.

My wife likes a mod 0 on her rifle; I tend to feel like it's too skinny and it puts my hand a bit high on the grip.

Sparky

bluejackets92fs
08-22-13, 20:00
I use a mod 1; it feels more filling in my hand and puts it lower so my trigger finger is straighter.

My wife likes a mod 0 on her rifle; I tend to feel like it's too skinny and it puts my hand a bit high on the grip.

Sparky

Could be worse. It could be as slim as the Magpul K grip. Not sure how anyone likes that thing.

FChen17213
08-22-13, 20:13
I think most people would be better served with the Mod 0 BCM grip. It doesn't have the rear hump on the rear of the grip. The Mod 1 has it although it's not nearly as bad as the Magpul MOE and MIAD grips.

I love the slim K-grip. I also love the stock A2 pistol grip. In fact, I replaced all my MIAD and MOE grips with stock A2 grips for the most part. I hate that hump that sits on some grips. It messes with your safety manipulation unless you have super long thumbs. This becomes even more pronounced when you hold the weapon from certain positions, especially from a high-ready position. That's why I like the BCM Mod 0 better. The original Tango Down grip isn't bad either.

The K-grip feels pretty good but I wish it had a nub like the A2 grip. The nub allows you to get a higher grip if you jam your ring finger with your middle finger above it.

F-Trooper05
08-22-13, 20:52
Own both. I prefer the Mod 1 by a mile. The Mod 0 is way too small IMO.

Quiet Riot
08-22-13, 20:56
There was a similar thread on this not too long ago where I posted this, but it fits with your question, too.

I use the Mod 0 and like the two I have, but I am looking forward to the MOE K2. I show why in my comparison of the Mod 0, K, MOE, and A2 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTgw-n9xdr8

Blak1508
08-22-13, 21:26
I have both now BCM MOD0 and the BCM MOD1. One is on a Daniel Defense V1 which is the BCM MOD1 and the other is on a Rainer Arms lower. I have had the Daniel Defense V1 for a longer time and have really liked the mod1 so when I built the Rainer I figured I would get another mod1. I ran into something that was just personally bothersome and a potential issue if I kept it that way. I had a gap between the high tang on the mod1 and near the arch leading to the receiver base plate on the Rainer lower. The gap was pretty big, I am guessing a bit under 1/4 inch, and again the gap was just where the high tang is on the grip. I tried out the grip for a while and tried to ignore the gap. I was constantly worried this could present an issue so I went ahead an bought the mod 0 which totally fixed my problem. So sometimes you have to be aware of which lower your using also. Grips are a trial and error thing and they are not universal throughout the platform. I may want grip X on my 16in and grip Y on my SBR. Asking another person which grip they like over another is like asking which ammo is our favorite, your going to get a bunch of answers but none have any to do with your personal preference. If you want to try both PM me and I will send them out and let you decide for yourself.

Knyghtmare
08-23-13, 06:00
There was a similar thread on this not too long ago where I posted this, but it fits with your question, too.

I use the Mod 0 and like the two I have, but I am looking forward to the MOE K2. I show why in my comparison of the Mod 0, K, MOE, and A2 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTgw-n9xdr8

Great video, very informative and well explained. Thanks.

JW5219
08-23-13, 06:46
Own both. I prefer the Mod 1 by a mile. The Mod 0 is way too small IMO.

I also have both, and prefer the Mod 1. However, they both still feel too thin for me. I really like the angle but would prefer something thicker. I have large hands though.

trob_205
08-23-13, 06:52
Mod 0 for me. Not a fan of the rear tang grips personally. Even tho the Mod 1 is the nicest rear tang grip I've ever felt.

Watrdawg
08-23-13, 07:12
Mod 0 for me. I have small hands and it allows me to depress the mag release without having to change my grip to do so.

Tzed250
08-23-13, 07:34
Glad this question was posted. I find my hand floating around on the A2 grip, as if it were always trying to find the best location. Some of the descriptions and impressions in this thread will help me to find a replacement.

BTL BRN
08-23-13, 09:53
I have both, and like them; but I do also prefer the high tang of the Mod 1. My only complaint with the grips is how slick the backstrap is; I have yet to add any texture to mine, but a stippling is in order.

TurretGunner
08-23-13, 13:32
I have the 0 and its ok. I prefer the MIAD/MOE thickness.

Now if they made a MOE with a more agressive angle or a BCM that was thicker.......WINNING.

Slippers
08-23-13, 13:48
I recently picked up a mod 1 to try instead of my miad that I've used for several years. So far it seems too slim, both front to back and side to side. The tang on the back, at least with my hands, does not provide any support. It seems to exist only to place your hand slightly further to the rear.

I'll use it a bit more before I decide to ditch it, but after 80 rounds today with it installed, I still prefer the miad with medium backstrap.

Plumber237
08-23-13, 15:18
I originally got a mod 0 grip, liked it better than the A2, but then after reading that the mod 1 helps for people with bigger/longer hands I ordered one. I love the mod 1, I have long bony fingers, and the mod 1 lets me get my grip up higher on the gun while keeping my trigger finger more straight (more comfortable as well). For me personally it's my favorite grip out of all the ones I've tried: BCM mod 0 & 1, Magpul MOE, MOE +, & MIAD, Tangodown battle grip, A2.

dr225
08-23-13, 15:41
For me the way my hands are I prefer the A1 grip. The A2 finger groove is very annoying in my hand when shooting.

kiwi57
09-08-13, 21:17
I have the 0 and its ok. I prefer the MIAD/MOE thickness.

Now if they made a MOE with a more agressive angle or a BCM that was thicker.......WINNING.

I was poking around on BCM's site and see that they have a page for a "BCM-GFG-MOD-3-BLACK". Quick Google and M4C search didn't reveal much about it Info from BCM's page:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUN-FIGHTER-s-Grip-GFG-Mod-3-Black-p/bcm-gfg-mod-3-black.htm

List of features:

Reduced angle for improved ergonomics and trigger control

Hinged trap door offering storage inside the grip with a water resistant rubber gasket

Each grip features an extended forward tang to close the gap between the trigger guard and pistol grip, and a high rise "beavertail" style back strap.

Up to a quarter of an inch wider than the BCMGUNFIGHTER Mod 0 and Mod 1 grips.

Made in the USA and manufactured from high quality impact resistant polymers.

This one might be perfect for me as my current favorites are the Magpul MOE+ and BCM Mod 1. This Mod 3 looks like it might have the thickness of the MOE+ and angle of the Mod 1. Another purchase looms.

chadb
09-08-13, 22:22
I have the Mod 1 on my rifle and I like it because I can get a high tang grip. You won't regret buying one

lowbar
09-09-13, 02:42
I run a Mod 0 on my AR Pistol. I dont care for tanged grips, but I really like the angle, though I do wish the grip was a little thicker.

thehun
09-09-13, 08:49
I have the Mod 1...the best grip I ever had.

Prior to it with A2 angle spec grips my wrist would start to somewhat fatigue after about an hour...I took a 7 hour class and I didnt even notice any fatigue on my wrist...that right there made it the right choice for me

But it also has great stippling and it fits perfect in the hand

Plumber237
09-09-13, 10:38
I was poking around on BCM's site and see that they have a page for a "BCM-GFG-MOD-3-BLACK". Quick Google and M4C search didn't reveal much about it Info from BCM's page:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUN-FIGHTER-s-Grip-GFG-Mod-3-Black-p/bcm-gfg-mod-3-black.htm

List of features:

Reduced angle for improved ergonomics and trigger control

Hinged trap door offering storage inside the grip with a water resistant rubber gasket

Each grip features an extended forward tang to close the gap between the trigger guard and pistol grip, and a high rise "beavertail" style back strap.

Up to a quarter of an inch wider than the BCMGUNFIGHTER Mod 0 and Mod 1 grips.

Made in the USA and manufactured from high quality impact resistant polymers.

This one might be perfect for me as my current favorites are the Magpul MOE+ and BCM Mod 1. This Mod 3 looks like it might have the thickness of the MOE+ and angle of the Mod 1. Another purchase looms.

Well there goes more of my money to BCM, that does sound like the perfect grip...that 1/4 inch added to the width will be huge. I wonder when this will get released, since I know they're working on getting the stubby vert grips out this fall.

Cmm46
09-09-13, 13:26
I just got the mod 1 specifically because it has that little piece the extends under the trigger guard. That part of the trigger guard would always cut into my finger.