PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a Model 19. Help a revolver idiot out.

kwelz
08-22-13, 21:11
I picked up this Model 19 yesterday in a trade. It is a pinned and recessed -3 model. I am also pretty sure it was an officers sidearm at one point since there is a SS number engraved under the grip.

Now truth be told I have been looking for a good fighting wheel gun. I had my eyes on a 686 or similar but am considering having this one done up the way I want it.

I know little about Revolvers so I am coming to all of you who know far more than I do.

So my options are as follows.

1: Minor work to the gun but leaving the finish as is. Maybe change out the grips and sights. have a little trigger work done on it. Mr. Smith is a master at this kind of work so I know it will be done right.

2: Sell the firearm to someone who appreciates older Smiths. No idea what it is worth to be honest but I am sure people here could give me a starting point. Then use that to pick up something more suitable.

3: Total overhaul. Remove the Nickel finish. (It is nickel right?) Then have the gun refinished. Put a better front sight on it. Have the trigger re-contoured, the hammer bobbed, new grips, the whole shebang.

Given that I don't like shiny nickel finishes the last option appeals to me more. However I wonder if the difficulty of this process would make it prohibitively expensive on this gun. I may be better off picking up a 686 or 627 and using that as a starting point.

There is no question that the gun is beautiful in it's current state. However it is a beauty that I don't appreciate as much as I would others.

So help me out here Experts of all things wheelgun. I really need it.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MHArJk0qu-Y/UhbEfh1s5FI/AAAAAAAADY4/R5Q6bSC9M-o/w1600-h900-no/DSCN0366.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5uE7uGniry8/UhbEgvSNs3I/AAAAAAAADZA/1zv3urst-F0/w1600-h900-no/DSCN0367.JPG

montanadave
08-22-13, 21:35
Nice looking gun. Seems like a shame to turn it into a Frankengun to get it from what it is to what you want. I could see doing it if the gun had some sentimental value, but in this case I'd be inclined to find a buyer who wants the gun as is and use the proceeds to buy the proper base model to make your personal modifications on.

I'll be interested to hear what the guys in the know have to say.

thopkins22
08-22-13, 21:41
I'm interested in how much refinishing would cost should you have Mr. Smith do his S&W Package. I'm actually planning on calling tomorrow for some work of my own, so I'll report back what I hear.

kwelz
08-22-13, 21:47
I'm interested in how much refinishing would cost should you have Mr. Smith do his S&W Package. I'm actually planning on calling tomorrow for some work of my own, so I'll report back what I hear.

I am lucky that his shop is only about 30 minutes from my house. Having someone of his talent nearby is a real boon.

And I agree it almost seems a shame tondo anything too it. :-/

thopkins22
08-22-13, 21:58
I am lucky that his shop is only about 30 minutes from my house. Having someone of his talent nearby is a real boon.

That's fantastic. We have Aaron Rogers who once upon a time co-hosted a show with LAV, and does fan-flipping-tastic bolt guns...but I haven't grown the stones to spend that much yet.

Given the quality of Mr. Smith's work...in my opinion it almost seems a shame NOT to do anything to it. ;)

Unless the gun in question had some sentimental value, was collectable, or an heirloom or something.

T2C
08-22-13, 22:02
Buy a few speed loaders and 5,000 rounds of ammunition. Once you have fired the 5,000 rounds while running several practical training evolutions, you wil be ready to use it for defensive purposes.

A K frame is an excellent combat handgun. If you decide you want to sell it, send me a PM.

streck
08-22-13, 22:15
Don't alter the weapon. If it is not what you want or need, sell to get what you want. Let someone else appreciate what it is.

JW5219
08-23-13, 06:54
I would go with option 3, at least partially. A new finish & front sight yes, and trigger job. The other stuff, not so much. I have never been a fan of nickel finished guns. They look too much like a pimp gun IMHO. ;) If you decide to have it done, please post some after pictures. Good luck with your choice.

walkin' trails
08-23-13, 08:03
While the 19 is no longer made, they're not particularly rare even though they're not seen often anymore. As yours is pinned and recessed, it is considered more desirable than later models. They did come from the factory with nickel finishes. I like the grips yours sports. They appear to be Herritts and if so, are not cheap. While messing with the finish of an old revolver will degrade the value, most of the other mods you mentioned are not permanent and can be switched back, especially if you keep the original parts. I am plersonally not so much of a pureist or collector that, if I wanted the gun for carry or shooting, would not hesitate to modify it to suit my needs. Ibhave a 19-5 that I got new in box that has received a nice duty action job, and a 66-1 that ibhave no idea of it's origins but recognize that someone did a really nice trigger job and some other mods to it. While my 19.was my duty gun once and likely won't get anymore work done to it, the 66 has become earmarked for a concealed carry package project one of these days. Play with it or sell it - your choice, you can't go wrong either way.

SteveS
08-23-13, 09:46
I would run it as is. the finish is applied for its durability, the sights will work and usually the grips can be personalized to your liking.

gtmtnbiker98
08-23-13, 10:05
Don't alter the weapon. If it is not what you want or need, sell to get what you want. Let someone else appreciate what it is.This! Please don't screw this one up, sell it. If you want to go all crazy on a revolver, do it on a recent production 686 or similar. That Mod. 19-3 can't be replaced and they simply don't make them like that, anymore.

Awesome1228
08-23-13, 10:07
I wouldn't consider myself a wheelgun expert, and there those who are far more knowledgeable than me on the subject.

My opinion though is that you should sell it and put the money towards something that is a better starting point for what you want. In a recent post from Mr. Smith (who's work is amazing) his basic package for tuning a smith is just under $300. That may have changed, I'm not sure. Add the cost of removing the nickle and refinishing, you are probably looking at more than the value of the gun itself to get it 100% what you want.

There are plenty of people who will appreciate this for what it is. Take someone's money, and go buy what you want.

Kain
08-23-13, 13:57
Personal opinion would be to sell it and buy the revolver that you would want. The fact that it has a pinned barrel and appears to be factory nickle should mean that it is worth a goody bit to an individual who collects Smith revolvers. Considering locally here I have seen Model 19s with blued finishes going for upwards of $450-500 a factory nickel plated one could bring in the $600 range in my mind without much effort, maybe more, and if it was a duty weapon that might raise the value to some even more. That said if I were to hold on to it and modify it I would leave the finish be, otherwise sell it and buy the revolver that you really do want.

kwelz
08-23-13, 16:57
Yeah I think if I can get 600-650 for it I will sell it and have something newer hacked on. :)

You all feel free to PM me your offers :)

JW5219
08-23-13, 17:09

Before I made a decision about this, I would either drive to see Mr Smith, or at least call him about your options. His work is fantastic and model 19's around here are pretty rare, unless they are junk.
Not like you can walk in anywhere and buy another, for a decent price anyway. Just check out Gunbroker and see what some of those people are asking for 19's in poor shape.

T2C
08-23-13, 18:03
If you were looking for a 4" revolver in the first place, you have a very good starting point for a custom gun. Some people prefer the K Frame over the L Frame for competition and the Model 19 over the Model 66 or Model 67. You may want to take another look at keeping it.

Take it out and run a few hundred rounds through it to see if you like it. If it's what you want, have Mr. Smith make any changes you want.

Pi3
08-23-13, 18:25
Sale it to someone who appreciates the nickel finish.

Campbell
08-23-13, 18:35
That's a great base for your "fightin wheel gun". Can't tell you how many nickel Smiths I've refinished... it's a great example of a revolver, but at the end of the day, with no bloodline tied to it, its just a gun. Have fun with it!:)

kwelz
08-23-13, 18:55
Before I made a decision about this, I would either drive to see Mr Smith, or at least call him about your options. His work is fantastic and model 19's around here are pretty rare, unless they are junk.
Not like you can walk in anywhere and buy another, for a decent price anyway. Just check out Gunbroker and see what some of those people are asking for 19's in poor shape.

Oh I talked to him before making this post. We discussed many ways to make it a thing of beauty. I posted this because I am trying to decide if I should do that or not.

SeriousStudent
08-23-13, 20:42
Oh I talked to him before making this post. We discussed many ways to make it a thing of beauty. I posted this because I am trying to decide if I should do that or not.

From all the pictures I have seen of Joe's work, I'd be sorely tempted to just hand him the pistol and a suitable amount of cash, and tell him to make me a fighting gun.

I really, really like Model 19's.

BwanaG
08-24-13, 14:45
Now I am curious. Where can I get more info on Mr. Smith's work

kwelz
08-24-13, 14:49
Now I am curious. Where can I get more info on Mr. Smith's work

http://www.superiorfirearmsllc.com/photo-gallery.html

kwelz
08-24-13, 15:06
Also do a search for him on here. When I say he is one of the best there is, that isn't hyperbole. he is quite literally one of the best custom gunsmiths out there.

kwg020
08-25-13, 12:39
It's a junker. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it. ;)

It's a great revolver. You should not have to do anything to it. Stay away from lots of full house magnums and it will last you a lifetime. kwg

JW5219
08-25-13, 17:27
Also do a search for him on here. When I say he is one of the best there is, that isn't hyperbole. he is quite literally one of the best custom gunsmiths out there.

Yes, that's why if it were mine, which it isn't, I'd just hand it over to him and say, have at it. You know it will be a masterpiece when he is done.

Serious Student pretty much has it covered in his last post.

anachronism
08-25-13, 21:22
Nickel guns aren't being made anymore. It should be pretty easy to flip, and you may be able to sell it for enough to buy a 686 or 630, which is what I'd recommend for a "serious" revolver. Okay, to be honest, I'd be looking at doing a Ruger GP100 for durabilitys sake. My 686 isn't holding up as well as my GP100.

okie john
08-27-13, 17:17
Buy a few speed loaders and 5,000 rounds of ammunition. Once you have fired the 5,000 rounds while running several practical training evolutions, you wil be ready to use it for defensive purposes.

This.

The Combat Magnum was built for fighting from the start. In a lot of ways, it was the Glock 17 of its day. As with any other fighting handgun, the challenge is to make it just right for you, and only shooting will tell you what that is. If you put 5k rounds through it, ideally including a few IDPA matches, then you'll have a much better idea of what that is.

Also, if you put 5k rounds through it, you won't need an action job unless you're going to shoot it in PPC matches. The best duty-grade action job you can do on a Smith is to dry fire it a thousand times DA and another thousand SA. That will smooth out any normal roughness in the action that was present when it left the factory. If it's still rough, send it back to S&W for a check-up.

After shooting Smith revolvers for over 40 years, I like to set them up with plain black sights (no red ramp up front, no white outline on the rear), narrow hammer, narrow trigger, and Magna service stocks with either a Tyler T-Grip or a Pachmayr grip adapter. I also prefer unaltered factory springs. It used to be popular to install a lighter mainspring and trigger return spring and/or to shorten the mainspring strain screw to lighten the trigger pull. I've owned several used Smiths that came with altered springs. All of them had problems, especially at speed with duty ammo, and all of those problems were cured when I put stock springs back in the gun. Over the century or so that Smith built the K-frame, they figured out how to balance the springs to make them run right, so it's smarter to build your grip strength through dry-firing instead.

Finally, it's been widely documented that 125-grain +P 357 Magnum ammo can crack the forcing cone of a K-frame Smith in as little as 1,000 rounds. This wrecks the gun, and is why Smith developed the L-frame. Fortunately, you can shoot hot 158-grain ammo until the cows come home, so just avoid the 125s and you'll be fine.

Okie John

xfarfuldog
09-12-13, 20:06
That's a beautiful gun. Sell it to someone who can appreciate it as is. They won't be making these anymore. You can find another blued gun and have it customized for you.

HKGuns
10-05-13, 21:16
Don't alter the weapon. If it is not what you want or need, sell to get what you want. Let someone else appreciate what it is.

^^This^^

alcante262
10-05-13, 23:21
I WOULD KEEP IT.SHOT EXPERT WITH IT IN 1979 AT IND POLICE ACADEMY.MY WAS BLUE ,4".

youngAR
10-06-13, 00:13
I was going to say don't modify it. But after looking at Smiths work, I'd say it would be an improvement.

My Wiley Clapp may be a perfect gun to send to Smith. Hmmm, I'm thinking chamfered cylinder, a deep dish barrel crown and a melonite or ion bond finish.

tdb59
10-17-13, 21:50
My daily carry is a bone stock 4 inch blue Model 19.

I have had no problems whatsoever, including running 800+ rounds in a day and a half at Thunder Ranch.

But, I am an old guy.:D