PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 NATO -- reducing recoil & muzzle flip

mudrock
04-20-08, 00:48
I'm looking for input on recoil-reducing devices like a brake or compensator. I tweaked my lower back pretty good years ago and a recent injury has aggravated the situation. I put it off as long as I could but somehow :rolleyes: my body isn't getting any younger.

Primary purpose is civilian defense, second is boar hunting. Not interested in bench-rest shooting beyond the necessary.

The PWS FSC30 (http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=37) looks interesting.

Any experiences with recoil pads you'd like to share?

Cheers
mudrock

LastRites
04-20-08, 05:48
As recoil pads go, I came across a brand a couple of years ago when I had a project at hand. Sim's Laboratory Recoil Pads. I now own several of them and they are the cats a$$ for reducing felt recoil shock. They also make some other products that actually work too for bowhunters.

Haven't had much experience with brakes, but I'd be looking for something that didn't add additional weight up front.

Jeremy
04-20-08, 06:29
I run the FSC30 on my DPMS .308 and have been pleased with it. I feel that it works as advertised and in the limited night fire I have done with it, I don't notice any muzzle flash in my scope.

Blast behind the gun does not seem any different compared to the phantom I was running before.

mudrock
04-21-08, 00:49
Thanks for the tip on Sims. They're marked "new" in my Brownells catalog. Great to hear from someone with experience with them. Would be interested to hear comparison with other products.

How much does an FSC30 kick compared to... whatever you can compare it to?

I have an FSC5.56 for my first AR (soon come) but bought it knowing it didn't have top performance as a brake. Not so much an issue for me in the smaller caliber.

Powder Burns
04-21-08, 11:04
I don't think limbsaver makes a pad for the ar-10 platform but that is what I would be looking for. I did not find the SOG pads to be very well suited at dampening felt recoil. Now that ace skeleton stock, has a wonderful pad on the end of it and If I didn't want the collapsing feature that is what I would have gone with.

However I am not a big fan of compensators, tinnitus, or sign language...but if you aren't going to be making people miserable at the shooting range then theres no big deal in using a comp I guess. Probably scare off all game in a 3 mile radius on opening day though. :rolleyes:

mark5pt56
04-21-08, 13:12
Try the Holland Quick Discharge Brake. Very effective and looks good, Brownells has them.

longshot
04-21-08, 13:49
I run a DTNC on my 308. I'm happy with it. Definitely has a muzzle flash though as mine is not the model with the flash hider built in.

mudrock
04-23-08, 00:22
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm not real thrilled about increasing my exposure to noise. I have some tinnitus from many years of motorcycling. But I need to shoot more than 40-60 rounds in a session without tweaking out my back.

When I shoot it's almost always by myself or with one partner at informal shooting areas on public lands. Next lane is usually more than a mile away. Hunting situations will be similar. So let's say I'm only concerned about the amount of sound directed right back at the shooter.

Seems a moderately effective brake and a really good recoil pad might work for me. From the photos, it looks like the DTNC and FSC30 have the same OAL but the DTNC has an extra port. I wonder how their recoil reduction compares?

Holland comps seem to have very positive reviews on Midway. Thanks for the tip. Have you shot one in low light or at night?

Regarding scaring game away or IDing a shooter's position... my intuition is that a given amount of sound is created when firing a round, and muzzle brake neither raises nor lowers that amount of sound but will direct it or focus it -- generally at, above or to the sides of the shooter.

Am I on the right track here? Can brakes create more sound overall? Is the sound directed back toward the shooter simply subtracted from the sound projected forward or is it more complicated?

longshot
04-23-08, 06:48
I think you're right, it seems louder because it changes the direction of the sound. Same as shooting into the wind seems louder.
I have no experience with Holland brakes. For hunting and just plain shooting I don't think flash is a big deal. If you're shooting competition at night it could mess up your night vision. Also, giving away your position shouldn't be a concern either unless the deer have learned to shoot back. I think that unless they have associated shooting with a human and danger, you're okay. I was shooting once and between mag reloading I had 4 deer walk out and start sniffing my target. I had just fired a shot not 30 seconds before and now I had to wait until they finally moved on.

mark5pt56
04-23-08, 08:48
I have the Holland on a 6;5 lb .308 700 and it has less felt recoil than an AR. My 10 yo son loves it.

I love showing the photo!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_0981.jpg

Lumpy196
04-23-08, 09:40
That is a perfect general purpose bolt gun in my book.

Coolbeans
04-23-08, 21:32
I'm looking for input on recoil-reducing devices like a brake or compensator. I tweaked my lower back pretty good years ago and a recent injury has aggravated the situation. I put it off as long as I could but somehow :rolleyes: my body isn't getting any younger.

I'm not real thrilled about increasing my exposure to noise.

Depending on the laws in your State a silencer could be the answer. They reduce much of the recoil and are safe to shoot with out hearing protection. Just a thought.

mudrock
04-25-08, 01:04
No suppressor option here. Photos make 'em look long and clumsy anyway... no I'm not envious ;) . I'm thinking 18" barrel + 2" comp would be plenty to tie my ass up in knots in thick brush.

Mark5.56 that looks like one sweet rifle. Was it a PITA to get the scope/mount/rear sight situation worked out? I think my project is an AMG* version of your rifle.

Longshot -- cool story! We can never predict how animals are gonna behave, can we?

*AMG -- Amish Machine Gun aka Remington 7600

mark5pt56
04-25-08, 20:28
No suppressor option here. Photos make 'em look long and clumsy anyway... no I'm not envious ;) . I'm thinking 18" barrel + 2" comp would be plenty to tie my ass up in knots in thick brush.

Mark5.56 that looks like one sweet rifle. Was it a PITA to get the scope/mount/rear sight situation worked out? I think my project is an AMG* version of your rifle.

Longshot -- cool story! We can never predict how animals are gonna behave, can we?

*AMG -- Amish Machine Gun aka Remington 7600

Thanks!

A little, I had to go with the high ringsLeupold QR) so the scope would clear. They are Ashley rears with Ghost ring. The front is the NECG(New England Custom Gun) If I remember correctly, I measured the height over bore for the stock sights and picked the one that I thought would be best, actually got two and started with the one on it, worked out. It's a gold bar.

Btrain
04-28-08, 21:03
+1 on the suppressor.

Or I have had good luck with the Miculek. Takes up the recoil. doesnt make it louder for the shooter (makes itMUCH louder for the people near you, but you wont notice a thing).

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o78/leiasparents3/2dpms002.jpg

mudrock
04-28-08, 23:29
The front is the NECG(New England Custom Gun) If I remember correctly, I measured the height over bore for the stock sights and picked the one that I thought would be best, actually got two and started with the one on it, worked out. It's a gold bar.

Off topic again... thanks for the info on your sights & mounts. That NECG front sight interests me. Looks like you have the banded front sight base installed. If so, did you fit it yourself? How did that go? I'll have the barrel cut & threaded on my rifle and had intended to have a dovetail cut for a front sight. Why did your choose that sight base? I like their sight options -- brass bead or bar, fiber optic, night sight.

For sure if I could have a can I would be thinking in that direction but it's a no-go right now. But you never know what the future will bring and I'd like to hear more thoughts on how suppressors affect recoil.

The Miculek has a strong reputation and seems like it would suit me. I wonder what one looks like when fired at night compared to an FSC30 and how the brake function compares.

Thanks guys.

mark5pt56
04-29-08, 06:37
I wanted the banded front because I thought it should be stronger and looked better vs a skinny little post sticking up there. Then I could add the hood also. The only realy change I would like to do is blend the parts better. I may do another one day and use a stainless barrel/brake. I had a local Smith do the muzzle work, all my ideas taken to him.

A couple of things.
1-Why a modern manufacturer doesn't make a modern version of a rifle like the FR8 is beyond me. I would gladly buy one at 6-800.

2. Ruger is really missing the boat with their Frontier rifle. They could add a muzzle option and front sight to match the 1-2 rear back ups that are made for the Ruger line.

I've always like irons on a bolt gun, ones that blend with it and can be used in the event that you don't have a scope or it's broken. The stock sights on guns now are mostly to say that they are there.

I had a Steyr Scout once, nice but had some things I didn't like. Tried the Savage until I had to start loctiting everything on it.

I'm not paying somebody 3000 and wait 2 years to make one that they offer vs. one that I want.

I'm going to be drawing up plans and piece together parts to make what I think it a great pack/hunting /defensive rifle. I'll have certain things done by the same Smith since I lack the tools to do the work.

Amicus
05-14-08, 10:51
Mark,

I'm looking forward to seeing your plans.

Amicus

gishooter
05-22-08, 20:30
I have a Armalite AR30 (which I whink is the same as the 50 but not sure) on my DPMS LR 308, very little recoil and as far as noise, it just changes the sound in my opinion, more of a ping. I can shoot it with my shooting bag realitivly close to the muzzle with no effect. I think I paid about 150 for it.