PDA

View Full Version : Magnum Research 1722 M

Heavyweight
08-23-13, 13:26
I picked up one of these guns a few weeks ago. It's the "clone" of the Ruger 10/22 magnum made by M.R.I. I love the gun and I've always loved the .22 WMR cartridge.

The gun isn't exactly like the Ruger. It has what they call a gas assisted blowback operation. Instead of a pure blowback operation, MRI drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of the barrel just forward of the takedown screw. This is MRI's way of dealing with the high pressures that this round produces...bleeding off some of the gas so that the chamber has returned to safe pressure levels before extraction begins. Attached to the barrel (over this hole) is a gas dispersion block. It's only purpose is to disburse the gas as it comes out. It's not feeding gas to a piston or other mechanism to work the action like an actual gas block. My question is, has anyone removed it and operated the rifle without it? It's very large and blocky and leaves you with only two stock choices from MRI. I'd like to be able to take advantage of some of the great stocks out there for the 10/22 M without having to mill out a chunk of wood or synthetic on each one.

I'm well aware that this isn't recommended and I'm sure it would void the warranty. But we shoot all types of rifles that vent gas into the forearm area....not to mention revolvers that will sever a finger if you place it too close to the forcing cone gap. I'm looking to see if anyone out there has actual experience doing this modification.

Please don't respond if you're just going to give me a safety lecture. :nono:. I'm a big boy and accept full responsibility for my own stupidity. Now, if you have a picture of your severed hand from having taken off the gas block, that I would be interested in!

Much Obliged

Heavyweight

texastom
11-13-13, 10:48
Can you post a picture of the dispersion block? I just learned they had one and am trying to figure out how it works. Saw the video with Pinkus and the MRI guy calls it a muffler. Does the gas just go into a block and stay there? Seems like the gas would need a way to escape. Does it get hot on the forearm? Dirty on the inside?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.