PDA

View Full Version : Surefire X300 Ultra fit issue

TroyK983
08-23-13, 14:53
I recently purchased a Surefire X300 Ultra to use as a dedicated light on my 14.5" AR. The rifle has a 11" Troy Ind TRX Extreme rail so I ordered an IWC radial light mount for scout and pistol lights.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/radial-universal-light-mount-n-slot-for-scout-pistol-lights/

The light came in before the mount so I tried it out on my Gen 3 Glock 22. I noticed the fit of the light was really tight using the universal mounting option. Once the mount arrived, I installed it to the rail and made the changes to the light for the picatinny mounting option. The X300 would only start on the rail of the mount and I had to force the light onto the mount for proper placement. I noticed the aluminum mount caused a groove in one of the polymer mounting parts on the Sureifre. I was wondering if the rail size of the mount was out of spec or the light was off spec some. This isn't a huge issue to me as the light was intended to be used just for this rifle and there is no need for quick swapping of the light between weapons. I was also concerned if the groove in the polymer will make the mounting system weaker on the X300 and potentially lead to it breaking off the mount if it gets banged around some.

Roecar
08-23-13, 15:09
It definitely is a snug fit. Over time the polymer will "stretch" itself where it will be easier to move. I've fired over 3000rds of 9mm and 1000rds of 7.62 and the mount shows no signs of wear.

It's just that new tight fit lol...

TroyK983
08-23-13, 15:54
Good to hear. Hope I didn't jack it up by forcing it on the mount.

jaxman7
08-23-13, 18:30
I recently switched my X300 from my pistol to my rifle an it was very tight. You can always loosen the 6 allen screws on the light's mount and keep from forcing it on if its really tight.

-Jax

givo08
08-23-13, 21:45
Loosen the 6 screws on top of the light a quarter or half turn at a time each and try again until its just right.

TroyK983
08-23-13, 23:50
Thanks for the tips on loosening the screws. Never thought of that but I'll try it. This is my first experience with the X300 ultra so I just assumed they needed to be good and tight. I am very pleased with the light. It is very bright, has a good tight center beam yet cast enough spread of light to illuminate pretty much a whole room, even large rooms in commercial buildings, and the push for momentary is amazingly better for me than the momentary operation on the streamlight weapon lights. This is my 2nd surefire light (I have a Surefire/VTac L4) and I will probably never buy anything else. Hard to beat their quality, performance, and warranty, plus it's made in the USA. The X300 ultra is hands down better than my dept issue streamlight pistol light.

SpeedRacer
08-24-13, 01:06
They're always tight. I've managed to "finesse" a couple on with a rubber mallet, but the majority require adjusting the mounting screws. No biggie, and too tight is certainly better than being too loose.

gman556
09-02-13, 20:59
Mine was really tight on my C4 rail, and I took a piece of magpul rail I had lying around, and loosened up the 6 screws, slid it on the piece of rail, and then tightened the screws, and it sild on everything nice and snug without being overly tight.

I since purchased a Larue mount for it, because it was too close to the rail to use with a SR-4 tape switch.

gman556
09-03-13, 17:59
Mine was really tight on my C4 rail, and I took a piece of magpul rail I had lying around, and loosened up the 6 screws, slid it on the piece of rail, and then tightened the screws, and it sild on everything nice and snug without being overly tight.

I since purchased a Larue mount for it, because it was too close to the rail to use with a SR-4 tape switch.

I also forgot to mention, that when I slid it on the piece of magpul rail I kept the inner cross spline of the X300 mount from locking down into the rail slot. I think this also helped from it getting too tight all over again.

TheJRK
09-09-13, 14:14
I was hoping that Surefire would change the design of the Ultra so that the battery latch opened away from the rail to make battery changes easier. :(

TroyK983
09-10-13, 21:59
So I loosened the 6 screws and removed the X300 from the mount. I left the top brackets attached with the 6 screws loose and re-mounted the X300 to the mount. This time it went on like it was meant to be there and after tightening the 6 screws back in it was nice and snug on the mount and feels solid when using the push forward momentary. Thanks for advice.