PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO: Install on what slot on rail

Armadillo
08-23-13, 18:55
The picture below shows where my Aimpoint PRO is installed on my AR.

It seems fine to me.

Is there an ideal spot to install it?

Should I move it forward?

MistWolf
08-23-13, 19:00
I've heard some experienced shooters advise placing the Aimpoint as far forward on the upper as possible and I've seen cantilever mounts that will push it even further. Myself, I find with my Micro, there is a sweet spot between too close and too far away. Place it where it's most comfortable for you and shoot to verify it's working

Ryno12
08-23-13, 19:01
It seems fine to me.

...and there's your answer.

BTW, there's an optic subforum.

Sent via Tapatalk

strambo
08-23-13, 19:02
There's no ideal, I prefer all the way forward for better both eyes open peripheral vision around it. Some prefer as far back as possible for greatest view in the tube.

Forward most on the receiver rail also places it close to the rifle's ideal balance point/CG at the front of the magwell.

On my issue M4, I had it all the way forward, but the armorer took it off so it would fit in the weapons rack...so now it is mounted about where yours is so it can stay on with the rack's locking bar closed.

NoveskeFan
08-23-13, 19:02
I like my red dots as far up the receiver as possible, (not on the rail). Just preference. Yours looks fine.

sxshep
08-23-13, 19:03
The picture below shows where my Aimpoint PRO is installed on my AR.

It seems fine to me.

Is there an ideal spot to install it?

Should I move it forward?

You answered your own question haha

I mount my red dots/holographics around the same distance up, and shoot with both eyes open. I see some people mount Aimpoints really close to their face and use it like a scope (one eye closed)... or really far forward past the receiver (not sure what the advantage of that is, I've never done it)... but who am I to judge, if you like it then I say rock it

jet66
08-23-13, 19:46
Yep, if it works for you, that's all that matters. For me, too far out and I'm 'seeing doubles' of the RDS body with both eyes open, to a distracting degree. Too close to my face and it cuts off my peripheral vision a bit. It turns out that in a non-cantilevered ADM mount, mounting it at the furthest forward slot of the upper rec. is perfect for me, but I tried it all over before settling on that.

I mount my red dots/holographics around the same distance up, and shoot with both eyes open. I see some people mount Aimpoints really close to their face and use it like a scope (one eye closed)... or really far forward past the receiver (not sure what the advantage of that is, I've never done it)... but who am I to judge, if you like it then I say rock it

I didn't notice any difference with the PRO, but with an EOTech, the farther out you run it, the reticle definitely looks larger. The closer to your face it gets, the smaller it appears. I can see running one of those farther out (on a very stable FF or monolithic rail, of course) if you wanted it to be for faster target acquisition over a general area, closer in if you want the dot in the center to be more precise/sharp. I run a 516 on another carbine, and I run it about in the same spot as the PRO, too.

SilverBullet432
08-23-13, 20:21
Wherever you feel comfortable, just dont bridge the gap ;)

thehun
08-23-13, 20:24
All the way forward is where mine is

Armadillo
08-23-13, 22:49
All the way forward is where mine is

You mean closer to your face right?

I mean if it was all the way forward to the muzzle- I think it would be a bit hard to look through.

Thanks for all who responded to this question. I've been reading all the responses as they came it.

I am going to leave mine where it was.

BTL BRN
08-23-13, 23:10
Eye relief is a non-issue for a RDS, so mount it where you feel comfortable. Personally, I like mine as far forward (towards the muzzle) as possible to provide a better FOV; and on one particular AR which has a Comp ML2 I use a cantilever mount to push it even farther forward - I don't use a magnifier.

thehun
08-24-13, 08:00
All the way forward on my upper...towards the muzzle

GH41
08-24-13, 08:21
"I mean if it was all the way forward to the muzzle- I think it would be a bit hard to look through"
You don't look through the sight... You look at the target and dot will be there. If you have no reflex sight experience try this.. Close the front cover and turn the dot on. Aim at something with both eyes open. What do you see?? You see the dot on the target. With cover closed you are not seeing through the scope! I run mine as far forward on the receiver as possible using an ADM cantilever mount. Like others said.. don't bridge the gap. GH

Koshinn
08-24-13, 08:37
Arctic1 posted a study on red dot placement. It turns out, the farther forward you place it, the faster you are.

However, the closer it is to you, the easier it will be to pick up in unconventional shooting positions, so you don't want it too far away.

So just remember the London Tube system and Mind The Gap! Placing it on the handguard or bridging the gap can cause loss of zero, so it turns out the "best" place for it is as far forward on the actual receiver as possible.

This also could allow use of a magnifier or night vision depending on your mount.

So in your particular case, like 3 slots closer to the muzzle or so.

Airhasz
08-24-13, 09:25
OP, just view the AR picture threads and you will quickly see where everybody is mounting their optics and everything else you want to know about AR setup...;)

prq9218
08-24-13, 13:32
I have mine set up as far foward on the upper as possible...any further back and it feels way to close to my face.

montrala
08-25-13, 05:59
So just remember the London Tube system and Mind The Gap!

ROTFL!

Could not help myself. You just made my day! :)

BTT I like my RDS somewhere over magazine well. Works best to balance speed and ease to pick up dot for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmac
08-25-13, 07:05
Farther forward means a better likelihood that your eyesight-to-target and eyesight-to-red dot will be in the same axis when you shoulder the rifle because the angles will be smaller than if its closer to your eye. The end result is that you will be faster to pick up the red dot without a lot of hunting around, especially if you're in an odd position like on your side, leaning, prone, etc. This is more of a problem with the 20mm tubes-thy can be harder to find the dot in a hurry.