PDA

View Full Version : 21 CG Carbine 1

JDFruge
08-23-13, 19:00
Carbine 1

Instructor – Stephen Pineau
Equipment – AK-74 with Damage Industries rail system, Aimpoint T-1 on ARMS mount, Surefire M620C on ARMS mount and an Original Special Operations Equipment single-point sling. For a chest-rig, I used an Original Special Operations Equipment M4/AK Micro-rig with Hydration Carrier.
Ammo – Surplus Russian 5.45

The day started out as a recap of a few of the things we covered the previous day in the pistol course. We had a few new students and Stephen wanted to make sure that everyone was on the same sheet of music.

We then started talking about zero-ing weapons and the proper zero for the intended engagement ranges. After we talked, we got on the 50-yard line and zeroed our rifles off of bags and then proceeded to shoot from 50- and 100-yards from supported prone after discussing the proper position. We intended to verify our zeros on the 200-yard line, but the range could not accommodate all of the shooters at once and it would have taken too long to have one or two students shooting at a time.

We then started going over some of the basics of rifle shooting. Stance, grip, ready positions and even where you placed the stock of the rifle were discussed. We then started working drills where we were bringing our rifles up from different ready positions.

We then moved up to the 7- and 10-yard line and started working with the offset with our optics. The difference between point of aim and point of impact at 25 yards and 7 yards is enough to make a big difference if you ever had to use your rifle in a defensive situation close up. We then moved to reloads and discussed balancing speed and accuracy and how key of a role fundamentals play in being able to shoot fast and under control.

After lunch, we started working on malfunctions. Stephen went into great detail about the things that can happen to an AR, since every student except for me was shooting an AR. One student asked about AK malfunctions and clearing them. Stephen simply replied, “Cycle the bolt. If that doesn’t work, strip the mag out, put a new mag in and cycle the bolt because you are likely out of ammunition”. Stephen then took my rifle and began taking parts off of it to show how few parts the AK actually needs to fire. I saw that you can basically use the AK like a bolt-action rifle, you’ve just need to have a strong hand to handle the recoil.

We got back on the line and started malfunction drills. Stephen had us introducing malfunctions into another student’s rifle for them to figure out. Stephen referred to this as the “Blue Falcon” Drill.

After malfunctions, we started doing transitions to our non-firing hand. After a bit of this, we finished out with a Dot Drill. One of the students said that there needed to be a little competition, so Stephen set up another drill. The goal was to shoot the drill with the fastest time AND clean. After this friendly bit of competition, it was time to clean up the range and debrief.

Overall, I really enjoyed the course. I went through about 400 rounds for the day. If you are expecting to be rolling around on the ground and doing a lot of high-speed stuff, you will be disappointed. If you want to become a better, more ACCURATE shooter and learn something, this class is for you.

Come to class on time ready to go and ready to learn. He asked us, since it was a private class, which areas we would like to work on and then tailored the class to meet our abilities.

There were a couple of students in our previous class who were running their mouths while Stephen was trying to teach. Do not be one of those guys. Thankfully Stephen put a stop to that in a hurry. He came down to teach us and we came to learn. If you find that are not interested in what is being taught or do not think you can learn anything, then leave the class or just simply do not attend. It is a matter of respect for the instructor and other students.

Stephen is a true instructor. He wants you to learn and improve your shooting. He also does not think that his way is the only way. Multiple ways to accomplish a task are presented. He also recommends different schools to go to get more training. I hope to take more classes from him in the future.