PDA

View Full Version : 21 CG Handgun 1

JDFruge
08-23-13, 19:01
Handgun 1

Instructor – Stephen Pineau
Equipment – Glock 19 with XS Big Dot sights and a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB Holster
Ammo – Freedom Munitions Remanufactured 9mm

The day started out with a discussion about the firearms safety rules and a few different ways to think about them. Concealed carry mindset was a big emphasis item during the discussion; we discussed avoidance, deterrence and de-escalation in great detail. Further, Stephen challenged us to think about the way we approach training and if it is relevant to the way we carry and conduct our daily lives. We started discussing gear selection and how to train. I had planned to use my Safariland drop holster to get a little practice with that, but I don’t carry concealed like that. Stephen suggested that I used my concealed rig, because that’s what I will be wearing if I ever need to draw to stop a bad situation.

After introductions and fundamentals were discussed, we stepped out onto the range. We got lined up on the 15-yard line for a fundamentals assessment. Many were clearly disappointed in their initial performance and realized they had quite a great deal to learn with respect to the basics.

We spent the rest of the morning on the fundamentals. Things like grip, trigger pull and trigger reset were discussed and practiced. When we were complete with the fundamentals, we moved to working reloads and malfunctions.

We discussed stovepipes and failures to extract, incorrectly referred to as double-feeds, because pistols cannot double feed. Clearing stovepipes went as I expected it would. Failures to extract were handled differently than I had previously been taught. Normally, we are taught to lock the slide to the rear, drop the magazine and then rack the slide three times to clear the pistol. After this, we replace the magazine and get the pistol back into action. Stephen taught us to simply remove the magazine then replace it and get the gun back up and running. Simply put, “Reload the gun.” Failures to extract no longer are all that big of a deal. More schools should be teaching this.

We broke for lunch and then got back on the line.

We started working on speed and accuracy drills and off-hand shooting for the later part of the afternoon, finishing the day out with the Dot Drill.

Overall, I really enjoyed the course. I went through about 300-350 rounds for the day. If you are expecting to be rolling around on the ground and doing a lot of high-speed stuff, you will be disappointed. If you want to become a better shooter and learn something, this class is for you.

Come to class on time ready to go and ready to learn. He asked us, since it was a private class, which areas we would like to work on and then tailored the class to meet our abilities. There were a couple of students in the class talking on the side and Stephen called them out. I really liked that he did not let the students run the class in that manner. Even though you are paying for the class and you probably do not care if you miss any information being passed, others paid too and do not want to miss out anything. It is also just basic courtesy and respect for everyone there.

Stephen is a true instructor. He wants you to learn and improve your shooting. He also does not think that his way is the only way. Multiple ways to accomplish a task are presented. He also recommends different schools to go to get more training. I hope to take more classes from him in the future.