PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Type 53? Anyone?

Gadfly
08-23-13, 21:58
I tried the search function, but not much info.

Bud's and a few others have surplus Chinese Type 53 rifles for about $120... I know they are a simple knock off of a Mosin-Nagant. What I like is the shorter overall length. I have several "real" rifles for serious work. I have no real need for a type 53. Just thought I might try my hand at refinishing the wood and having a project. I like the ideal of a shorter, handier rifle than the full size Mosin...

Has anyone ordered one yet? Any real advice I should know that is different than the tons of Mosin info out there?

JusticeM4
08-23-13, 22:46
Not a bad price, but if you can grab the Hex 91/30's instead for $160 that is a better rifle.

TacticalSledgehammer
08-23-13, 23:43
I've had a few M44s and one type 53 a few years ago. Their accuracy can shock you. I prefer to clean them up, but usually don't refinish. Just beware that surplus 54R is usually corrosive, so clean for it.

Fordtough25
08-27-13, 19:34
I've had one of the T53' s for awhile now, accuracy is quite good! The bore on mine is in good shape, stock is solid, action is smooth. For a cheap rifle that shoots somewhat cheap ammo its fantastic! I shoot mine at a local surplus match.

awpk03s
09-02-13, 09:31
I have a Russian M44 and Chinese T53. The Chinese is the better rifle. Bolt works smooth as butter and trigger is decently light. It's accurate to boot. On mine the blue has a nice worn patina, and the stock cleaned up quite nicely with some TLC and tung oil.

kdstang
09-02-13, 10:55
Collectors may dismiss them, but my T53 is a much smoother gun than my '43 Izhevsk 91/30. There's a lot of variation, but if you can inspect them, you can likely find one with an excellent bore and decent wood. It would be rare to find one that has a bolt matched to the receiver. I wouldn't hesitate to pick a good one up for hunting/target shooting. Very happy owner.

brickboy240
09-03-13, 14:01
I also have a Type 53 and a Russian M44 and prefer the Type 53.

Buy one and shoot happy...these used to be fairly rare in this country.

-brickboy240

wingspar
09-25-13, 16:14
For $120, snag it. They are listed for a lot more than that on GB.

I have a Romanian M44 with a shot barrel, but since it’s Romanian (very few of them out there) I can probably sell it for more than I paid for it, even with the shot barrel. I want another M44, but until recently, I’ve just heard bad stuff about the T53's, but I’ve been hearing better lately, and for the price, if I can pick up a good shooter, I may just pick up a T53 myself.

SurplusShooter
09-25-13, 16:29
Just a FYI, I once bought a T53 in 2011 and it was really rough. Bore was badly corroded. I had to send it back, it was so bad I was afraid to shoot it. That was even though I bought the "hand select" option.
Try to get one in good condition is the hard part, could be hit or miss. I hope you can get a good one.

Tzook
09-25-13, 20:51
I grabbed one from a friend for 100. It's fun!!! It's decently accurate, doesn't have an atrocious trigger (I was shocked) and is dirt cheap to shoot. It'll be good to have a loaner deer rifle for somebody. For 100 bucks.... Grab one.

Krull
10-01-13, 12:16
I saw one about fifteen years ago for something like $50,granted it also looked like they'd used it for a fencepost before they decided to sell it.

I've had a few Mosin about all I can pass on is use blackpowder cleaner to mop up after the corrosive ammo and lots of oil.

JusticeM4
10-01-13, 20:05
Just a FYI, I once bought a T53 in 2011 and it was really rough. Bore was badly corroded. I had to send it back, it was so bad I was afraid to shoot it. That was even though I bought the "hand select" option.
Try to get one in good condition is the hard part, could be hit or miss. I hope you can get a good one.

That's what I'm afraid of. Some of these rifles look like they're in terrible shape (thus the low price). Not being able to inspect it myself is another concern. You just don't know if you're gonna get a good one or not.

Now if you don't mind taking a chance and $120 is no big deal to you, then go for it. It would make a good fun project.

sgtrock82
10-14-13, 16:48
If some one were to want a decent type 53 my advice would be to wait it out and check local shops and shows. I wasn't impressed by the recent imports Ive seen at shows. These werent common before but did tend to show up for decent prices (sub $150 range) had no import marks and were usually all matching numbers. However most type 53s show quite a bit of neglect as do most surplus rifles coming out of china. Ive been told a few times that the Chinese don't actually warehouse old weapons. Theyre usually stored outside and often buried

Bubba FAL
10-16-13, 20:10
$150!
I managed to get a "real" Chicom T53 for $39 back in the day - wood a little rough, but metal is very good. My 2nd was $65 and was an arsenal refinish. Interestingly, you can see where the original Soviet markings were ground off the receiver before the Chinese characters were added. Metal finish on this one is more of a matte blue vs. the gloss blue finish on the other one.