PDA

View Full Version : Rust Removal, non firearms

HES
08-23-13, 23:44
I've got a friend who just picked up some antique cast iron patio furniture that she is going to repair / refurbish. It's painted, but there are areas where the paint came off and rust has set in.

My advice to her was to get some paint remover, then have her go over it with a steel wire brush and steel wool to remove as much rush as she could. Then something hit me and here is where I need some help.

I could have sworn that some where on the board that we had had a similar discussion and there is this miracle stuff, possibly sold in marine stores, possibly in a petroleum jelly like form, that does a fantastic job of not only attacking and removing rust, but inhibiting it. However my searches turned up nothing really relevant.

Does any one know what I am talking about?

T2C
08-24-13, 00:09
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.por15.com/

fixit69
08-24-13, 00:11
That or maybe naval jelly?

thopkins22
08-24-13, 02:07
Phosphoric acid, what you're probably thinking of and has already been named naval jelly. Chemically it turns iron oxide into ferric phosphate which is much easier to remove.

Straight phosphoric acid will work just fine(you'd have to submerge the item,) but the gel will be easier to use for something like lawn furniture. Just spread it on, let it do it's thing, and scrape it off along with the ferric phosphate leaving bare metal behind.

Hell if she isn't comfortable with it just explain to her that it's in Coca Cola, which as an aside should be enough to get us to stop drinking it....

My West Marine carries it, but you should be able to find it in a good hardware store as well. Loctite even produces it.

AKDoug
08-24-13, 04:06
Find a powder coater to do the job. Our local guy sandblasted my mother inlaw's cast iron furniture and it turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

GH41
08-24-13, 08:26
Find a powder coater to do the job. Our local guy sandblasted my mother inlaw's cast iron furniture and it turned out great. Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

This is probably the best way to do it and not as expensive as you think. GH

HES
08-24-13, 09:25
Thanks guys. Yeah I think it was a Naval Jelly derivative. Still, keep the suggestions coming.