PDA

View Full Version : Mount Questions - ADM, LaRue or screw the whole damn

Gutshot John
04-20-08, 09:48
I've said that "Green Eyes Black Rifles" can be a real money saver if you read it before you start investing in ARs. This is a case in point.

I had bought a Trijicon Accu-Point scope for another rifle, which I then replaced with a different optic.

I ditched a reflex sight I had on my AR and put the Accu-Point on it instead. Well the eye relief wasn't adequate, but I didn't have any more rail so...

I had the proper rings so I put on a MI FF rail system figuring if I had to get a new rail anyway, might as well go whole-hog. This allowed for the eye relief...but it quickly became obvious that the rail is not stable enough and has a slight give to it no matter how tight I seem to make it. Back to the drawing board...

So then I find the EER mounts available from LaRue/ADM. Great rep even if it's another 2 bills...but even if I do it for scope, rings, mounts etc my total cost has been in excess of $1k...and I'm still not happy.

So do I try the ADM/LaRue and use my existing (and perfectly functional I love the scope)? or do I cut my losses...sell everything and start from scratch with a nice aimpoint/eotech?

M4Guru
04-20-08, 10:25
If you love the optic and it makes sense for the type of shooting you do, then keep it. The Accupoint is a great scope, and a real bargain.

I think that if an Eotech or Aimpoint will suit your needs, then an Accupoint won't. The Eotech and Aimpoint will not be as precise, but at most social distances the Accupoint is not nearly as fast on 1.25X. If you go with a RDS I recommend Aimpoints. If you buy a new mount, Larue mounts have no equal.

You just need to evaluate your shooting needs and pick the one that fits them best.

Gutshot John
04-20-08, 11:01
If you love the optic and it makes sense for the type of shooting you do, then keep it. The Accupoint is a great scope, and a real bargain.

I think that if an Eotech or Aimpoint will suit your needs, then an Accupoint won't. The Eotech and Aimpoint will not be as precise, but at most social distances the Accupoint is not nearly as fast on 1.25X. If you go with a RDS I recommend Aimpoints. If you buy a new mount, Larue mounts have no equal.

You just need to evaluate your shooting needs and pick the one that fits them best.

No doubt. I completely agree...it just seems that sometimes I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. As for the shooting I do with an AR it's virtually all competition or carbine class. 0-300 meters. Inside of 15 meters I'm pretty comfortable point shooting so I don't necessarily need an optic for CQB. Outside of that range I thought a magnified variable optic would be more versatile, but maybe not. In general I prefer my FAL, but my AR has some convenience to it.

The accupoint is a great scope, but it is significantly slower than a red-dot. I've heard that they're coming out with a mil-dot reticle option which I'd love to have.

Parabellum9x19mm
04-20-08, 11:11
i have an Accupoint TR21 in a LT SPR-E and an Aimpoint ML3 (2MOA) in LT cantilever

both are fantastic.

the TR21 is much more fun on the range and is more versatile...as you know now, the TR21 requires an extended eye relief mount, there's just no other way to run it on an AR....on low magnification setting the eye relief is very long.

for closer quarters or SHTF its Aimpoint all the way for me.

i also have a EOTech 552 on a LT mount that i use for home defense. i don't shoot as well past 100m with the EO compared to the Aimpoint (and especially not compared to the Accupoint), but sight acquisition with the EO is the quickest out of any optic i've used.

i'm very happy with all three optics. they all have their niche

for my SPR inspired build i will be using an Accupoint TR20-2 in a LT SPR-1.5, instead of going with more expensive options, of which there are many. i really think you get a lot for what you pay with the Accupoints.

decide what you want to do with the rifle, pick your optic accordingly...because your choice in optics will determine the overall capabilities of the weapon.