PDA

View Full Version : The .460 Rowland in a "Mac 10" platform

Cincinnatus
08-24-13, 16:21
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/12/18/masterpiece-arms-460-rowland/
Thoughts on the cartridge, the firearms presented in the video on this link, and the video in general?

I really like this guy's personality and enthusiasm--he is entertaining to watch, but professionally, the use of a BSA red dot on the carbine says he is not too saavy about optics, and thus, perhaps, also questionable in other areas.

Furthermore, I am skeptical about the practicality and reliabiltiy/durability of these weapons for anything but hog hunting, but am curious to see what fellow M4Cers think.

Ned Christiansen
08-24-13, 17:09
I cannot help but want to meet that guy. He's obviously a real gun guy and gets his view across well without being overly polished or sales-hypish.

And although I don't see myself walking the woods with that particular product-- it sure seems like the numbers are there! For some folks it might be just the thing.

Miami_JBT
08-24-13, 17:17
Played with the cartridge in a 1911 pistol and didn't like it orsee the need for it. 10mm Auto is about as powerful as I see useful for a semiautomatic pistol. Anything larger and a carbine is better suited and in that platform go with a bigger cartridge.

Ned Christiansen
08-24-13, 23:39
He said he designed it ten years ago-- I remember reworking a 1911 for it fifteen plus ago... or it might have been a S&W 625. Is that vid recent? Went to the site and it said that gun was no longer in production.

Cincinnatus
08-25-13, 03:54
I just realized that the vid is from 2009.

Coal Dragger
08-25-13, 22:50
Well it looks entertaining, and I suppose with a heavy enough recoil spring the .460 Rowland shouldn't be a problem for a blow back action. If your main goal is a carbine for hunting though, I would suggest you just buy a proper lever action carbine in .44Mag, .45-70, or a few other good choices. Not only will such a beast be cheaper, but probably more accurate, lighter, and less cumbersome. More powerful too.

Coal Dragger
08-25-13, 23:04
Played with the cartridge in a 1911 pistol and didn't like it orsee the need for it. 10mm Auto is about as powerful as I see useful for a semiautomatic pistol. Anything larger and a carbine is better suited and in that platform go with a bigger cartridge.

Never played with it in a 1911, although I have used .460 Rowland data in .45 ACP brass to experiment with in a Freedom Arms M83 with a .45 ACP cylinder. Worked like a champ with 185gr XTP's over 13.2gr of Power Pistol even in .45 ACP brass. No pressure signs, brass fell out of the chambers without so much as a kiss from the ejector rod. Accuracy was quite respectable too. Velocity should have been in the range of 1500fps or so, although I did not chronograph them. Recoil was snappy compared to a standard or even +P .45 ACP and a bit heavier than a .45 Super as well. Still not too bad compared to full powered .454 Casull which is what the other cylinder is chambered for.

That said I wouldn't want to put those rounds through an auto pistol, like you found out first hand they are noticeably more energetic and are going to put a lot of wear and tear on a gun not made for those kinds of pressures, and slide velocities (yes I know heavier recoil springs will mitigate this to a point). It was a fun experiment in the revolver, but I will not load anymore of them if I can avoid it. At those velocities the bullet is being pushed well beyond the performance envelope it was designed to expand and hold together at so I question how useful the ammo would even be for hunting. Aside from that if I really want more power, and flatter trajectory I'll just use the .454. Last I checked a 240gr bullet at 1900fps is going to have a lot more power and shoot quite a bit flatter than anything a .460 Rowland can ever do, and 240gr bullets are light weights in the world of .454's.