PDA

View Full Version : Shield vs P9 vs G27

Big_Jim
08-24-13, 18:51
Which do you think is the better carry gun for year round EDC.

wahoo95
08-24-13, 19:18
Carried a G27 daily from '96-'12 when I picked up my Shield which replaced it as my EDC.

okie john
08-24-13, 19:21
They're all good for different reasons. The choice depends more on you than on them. I don't shoot a G26 as well as I shoot a Shield and I haven't shot the Kahr enough to have an informed opinion.

Okie John

Fried Chicken Blowout
08-24-13, 19:30
Kahr vs Shield = Trigger preference. They are very different and I prefer the Shield trigger. Plus I've done a lot of work with competition M&P pistols and the internal trigger parts from Apex carry over. I've got mine at a crisp 4.5 pound pull and it shoots great.

Shield vs G27 = Thickness preference. I prefer the thiner Shield. I have a M&P9 compact and it never gets carried now that I have a Shield.

If you normally shoot a Glock then get the 27. If you normally shoot an M&P or like thinner guns then get the Shield. If you like a longer trigger with a longer reset then get the Kahr.

MJLman
08-24-13, 20:45
I have both a gen4 27 and a shield. Both are great. Sheild for the win in my humble opinion.

MegademiC
08-26-13, 12:01
The only khar I have experience with was a 380, but based off of that and what I've read here, I cannot recommend them. They are small if you NEED a pocket pistol, but a shield can disappear with a wife-beater so I don't see a need to go smaller. It seems the khar is more expensive or close in price, and does not handle high round counts well, and also needs to be broken in sometimes?

I would definitely not go g27, these guns are too small for .40. A 9mm will most likely allow much better shooting in such a small frame. g26/27 are nice, but are still thick which is what makes them print IMExperience.

The shield is very comfortable to shoot and doesn't have a subcompact feel. They seem to be handling high round counts very well and seem to be on track to have a similar record as the subcompact glocks.

I would definitely say 9mm shield. Thin/small enough to hide 99.9999% of the time, durable enough to train regularly with it, reliable enough to have no reservations staking my life on one, and shootable enough that I don't feel "undergunned" with one. Also good price point. There really isn't any competition to them right now as glock clearly isn't interested in a similar product, the xds had a rough start last I read, and the pps is over $200 more expensive than the shield.

Fortenbras
08-26-13, 12:12
Try the Xds 9mm

Big_Jim
09-01-13, 09:39
Thanks for all the input. I have handled the XDs9 and didn't really care for the way it fit my hand, although I believe it to be a very good pistol.

The Kahr is pretty much out of the picture for me. Again, it is a very high quality pistol, just not for me. I have the G27. I would prefer a G26 but picked up the G27 at a super price. I have the Shield inbound and believe it will be a superior carry gun sharing time with the Glock.

Keep it coming though, I like the feedback.

Slvr Surfr
09-02-13, 20:20
If you want to consolidate calibers, consider the Lonewolf replacement barrel for your G27 to 9mm. I have a converted G27 and have not had any issues running the gun with the new 9mm barrel.

+1 on your shield choice. My shield has taken over as my primary carry. It works well in a pocket or IWB. The width of the gun coupled with the good 9mm round makes it a winner in my book. I removed my thumb safety and filled the hole with a plastic filler piece. I also installed the Apex Carry kit and night sights. The Apex kit is worth the money in my book. The trigger pull is much shorter and cleaner than stock. If you decide on replacement sights, you might as well do the Apex kit at the same time. The rear sight will have to come off to replace the firing pin block anyway. If your shield was like mine it was a real PITA to remove.

I did try my wife's XDs in .45 acp. That thing was a beast. The top left portion of the beaver tail (when behind the gun) just beat the hell out of my thumb knuckle at the web of my hand causing a blister. Not an all day range gun by any means. It's definitely a good concealer, but just too much gun for it's size IMO. The 9mm may be a better match. As seen by other females, my wife had issues holding onto the XDs causing it to fail to go into battery towards the end of the magazine. We ended up selling it.

She did switch to a Kahr CW9. That gun is a much better fit for her. Very similar in size to the Shield except a hair bit longer in the grip. The trigger does take getting used to, but not unmanageable for a long light DAO. That gun can be shot all day at the range without issues.