PDA

View Full Version : Can Members Block/Ignore Specific Forum Sections

Mac5.56
08-24-13, 21:06
Hey All,

I was wondering if it is possible for a member to set their preferences to ignore an entire section of this forum? I would like to completely ignore the GD section so that I never see it, and have no option to ever click on it again.

Better yet can we just get rid of everything in that section of the forum minus the Stupid THings Heard In Gun Stores thread?

gun71530
08-24-13, 21:08
Or you could just stay out of the GD forum...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

RearwardAssist
08-24-13, 21:17
I'm guessing he is like me I only cruise this site by the new post unless I am looking for something.

Mac5.56
08-24-13, 23:00
I'm guessing he is like me I only cruise this site by the new post unless I am looking for something.

Yep you've got it, and I'm a bit of a masochist. The result is I want to punch my computer and there are a few people who I no longer will have over for a block party because their "internet balls" got to big for them to handle.

IE: Just get rid of the bullshit in GD, make it go to a forum similar to the LEO Only. If you sign up you can go participate in the stupid ass political pissing match. Call it "The Thunder Dome" or something. Then leave GD for things like funny Gun Show talk.

steyrman13
08-24-13, 23:06
This has been discussed before nuking GD or Thunderdome etc. there are ways around not seeing it though.
Ill see if I can search and find the thread. Someone mentioned a HTML link that excludes words or phrases which would allow you to filter out the GD from the new posts button

SpeedRacer
08-25-13, 00:30
Yep you've got it, and I'm a bit of a masochist. The result is I want to punch my computer and there are a few people who I no longer will have over for a block party because their "internet balls" got to big for them to handle.

IE: Just get rid of the bullshit in GD, make it go to a forum similar to the LEO Only. If you sign up you can go participate in the stupid ass political pissing match. Call it "The Thunder Dome" or something. Then leave GD for things like funny Gun Show talk.

I will say this forum is about as prudently moderated and squared away as any I've ever seen. The mods and admins here do a fantastic job IMO. I would suggest using the ignore feature for particular members that get under your skin. Beyond that, I don't see them eliminating an entire area of discussion because one person can't resist clicking on general discussion topics that bother them.

Airhasz
08-25-13, 00:58
Hey All,

I was wondering if it is possible for a member to set their preferences to ignore an entire section of this forum? I would like to completely ignore the GD section so that I never see it, and have no option to ever click on it again.

Better yet can we just get rid of everything in that section of the forum minus the Stupid THings Heard In Gun Stores thread?

You are showing mental weaknesses, have some simple willpower for crying out loud...

SeriousStudent
08-25-13, 02:23
If you have the ability to answer the member's specific question, do so.

If not, don't chime in from the peanut gallery.

Army Chief
08-25-13, 03:26
Unfortunately, from a coding/settings perspective, I am not aware of any user options that will accomplish this. Specific users can be ignored, of course, but active, open-access boards pretty much have to show up because of search system functionality, if nothing else. When you browse by using the "New Posts" feature, as most of us do, that is effectively what is happening, as the returns are populated via a time-based (i.e. since your last visit or inquiry) search. It obviously does not filter these results by board; at least, not by default.

AC

Koshinn
08-25-13, 03:46
It wouldn't be too hard to code if any of the admins are technically inclined.

Army Chief
08-25-13, 04:07
Perhaps not, but (a) it really only manifests itself during searches, since the rest of the time a specific sub-board is easy to ignore, and (b) specific coding changes can complicate the upgrade path. We're already working to get things up-to-date in that sense, but the amount of time and effort required to do this (a sub-board filter) correctly probably isn't warranted by the severity of the problem; especially when we've got so many other more serious technical issues to stay on top of.

AC

kdcgrohl
08-26-13, 10:01
I posted this sometime back, sounds like what you need.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=124540

bp7178
08-26-13, 10:17
Thanks for the link, it works.

Less the dribble, it went from 54 to 44 active threads since my last visit.

Finally.

ST911
08-26-13, 10:19

Thank you again for that.

Army Chief
08-26-13, 10:25
I got so deep in-the-weeds looking at server-side options that I hadn't even considered how easy it would be to just modify the user-specified search variables themselves.

Brilliant!

AC

steyrman13
08-26-13, 11:10

Yup that's the one I was referring to. Thanks for plugging it in here

WillBrink
08-26-13, 11:24
Hey All,

If I don't wanna see posts from a particular person, I add them to "ignore"

If I don't want to be part of a thread any more, go to user CP, go to "subscriptions" and un subscribe from the offending thread.

As far as I know, you can't ignore an entire section of a forum in VB, but you can be blocked :happy:

wake.joe
08-26-13, 13:32
Just don't read them...?

Airhasz
08-26-13, 16:24
Just don't read them...?

Yeah, that's what I was referring to with the willpower statement.

ST911
08-26-13, 18:10
Asked and answered.