PDA

View Full Version : CZ-75B

Line Rider
08-25-13, 08:41
I'm interested in buying a CZ-75B. I've read a lot of good reviews, but last night I read this review on pistol-training.com

http://pistol-training.com/archives/3218

I'm like what... :help:

I plan on carrying it for off duty, so it's not going to be a fun gun.

apb2772
08-25-13, 15:12
They are solid pistols bar none.

What that (Widely referenced) article blatantly fails to mention is that the majority of the shooters having problems with their CZs in that very class were using EAA/Tanfoglio/Baby Desert Eagle magazines at the time due to the difficulty getting genuine CZ/Mecgar magazines. I was into buying my 4th CZ around the same time that article was penned and even as a fairly well connected gunsmith I couldn't even get factory mags. I ended up buying what the guys with the failing CZs were running for magazines and had the same luck/outcome.

In a handful of cases people have had slide stops break. Most of these cases once chased down and verified, have happened at high round counts - with mostly competitive shooters. If you plan on shooting the piss out of yours buying an extra slide stop couldn't hurt - especially as finicky as the firearms parts market gets nowadays availability wise.

That said recoil springs need to be replaced ~5000 cycles or so (Wolff makes a nice kit). In the recent past ~2 years ago, there were some CZ 75/ SP01s that shipped with poor quality trigger return springs. They failed fairly quickly out of the box. The springs available now have had no real issues. Most CZ 75s are very accurate and fit the hand well. The triggers need to be well broken in to feel "Decent". A reduced power mainspring improves the overall trigger "Feel" also. They are full sized steel pistol, and are considered to be "Heavy" by many modern day shooters due to the plethora of polymer framed handguns available on the market. They can be tweaked into some real awesome machines if you have the $, or can be a real pleasure to shoot left stock.

Holsters and accessories can be hit or miss but if you hunt they can be found. the web address below is a good place to start if you want to more about them..

http://www.czfirearms.us

CC556
08-26-13, 09:15
That PT post is a joke. One of the guns he bashes wasn't even a CZ, it was a Tanfoglio (based on a similar design, but not actually a CZ.) Another of the guns simply needed a new extractor spring after 14k rounds. Also, as mentioned above, people were using third party mags that weren't even intended for those specific guns. Of course Todd disingenuously ignores all of that since obviously telling the whole story wouldn't have painted the picture he wanted to paint.

As for the CZ you're interested in, other than Todd's disingenuous ramblings they've got a great reputation for reliability. They're also very accurate, very easy to shoot well, and easy to work on. Any relatively new 75 should have a perfectly fine trigger return spring, and if you really want to be safe just buy new one for a few dollars and swap it into the gun. As for the slide stops, it gets talked about a lot but it seems to be pretty rare in reality.

The TRS and slide stops are really the only things you ever hear of going wrong with CZs (and rarely at that.) Compare that with Glock's current extractor/ejector problems or the M&P with accuracy issues, extraction issues, trigger issues, etc... that people know about and have no problem trying to spend money and fix and I think it's a bit hard to make the case that a $7 TRS or a $35 slide stop that might fail 20,000 rounds in the future disqualifies the CZ from serious consideration.

08-26-13, 10:53
Of course my sample is a sample of one but my Pre-B 75 has run almost faultlessly for 9 years and thousands of rounds. When I first got it, it was my one and only semi-auto. I took it to a SD Harrington one day course. We shot 900 rounds in a space of 5 hours. Mine were my own re-loads using a poly coated lead bullet. Cleaner than plain lead, not as clean as jacketed. Right after class I drove to another city to join my family on a weekend vacation. While there I took in a local IDPA match. No cleaning, no re-lube and no stoppages.
I run it wet, I keep it well sprung and carry spare parts, like a slide stop, in my gun bag. It is still using the original slide stop. Now a competition only piece it is my go-to for competition events. I have just plain worn out several mags. I only use Mec-gar and CZ brand mags.
Best,

MegademiC
08-26-13, 12:26
Every time someone posts about CZ's I pretty much say the same thing. They are 'outdated' designs, by today's standard, and I would recommend a modern poly gun over one.

However, they are very reliable, proven and solid guns. If you want a SAO gun, a SAO 75b or sp-01 with a SAO trigger cannot be beat for the price. (czcustom SAO trigger and comp hammer is on par with decent/good 1911 triggers).

If you like them, they are good, just a little heavy and more expensive than what you can get a glock or m&p for.

CC556
08-26-13, 12:37
Every time someone posts about CZ's I pretty much say the same thing. They are 'outdated' designs, by today's standard, and I would recommend a modern poly gun over one.

However, they are very reliable, proven and solid guns. If you want a SAO gun, a SAO 75b or sp-01 with a SAO trigger cannot be beat for the price. (czcustom SAO trigger and comp hammer is on par with decent/good 1911 triggers).

If you like them, they are good, just a little heavy and more expensive than what you can get a glock or m&p for.

I don't think of the CZ 75 differently from a quality 1911. They're both "outdated" in some ways, perhaps require a bit more maintenance, and are certainly heavier than polymer guns. The upside to them is they're so nice to shoot, have great triggers, and there's a lot of tinkering that you can do if you want.

MegademiC
08-26-13, 12:47
I don't think of the CZ 75 differently from a quality 1911. They're both "outdated" in some ways, perhaps require a bit more maintenance, and are certainly heavier than polymer guns. The upside to them is they're so nice to shoot, have great triggers, and there's a lot of tinkering that you can do if you want. I agree, if I was going to really get into comps, id get a cz and have some work done... its like the "poor mans" 1911 IMO.

Magsz
08-26-13, 13:02
I agree, if I was going to really get into comps, id get a cz and have some work done... its like the "poor mans" 1911 IMO.

Hardly, at 1200 bones...lol. Even a base, 600 dollar SP01 becomes expensive after you start tinkering with it and EVERYONE tinkers with their competition guns.

Now, in regard to your other comment. Its not so much the fact that the design may be outdated, its more about the fact that very few people are carrying steel weapon these days and those that are, tend to carry 1911's for whatever reason.

A CZ75 or a CZ SP01 at 36 and 42 ounces respectively is just too heavy in my mind for every day carry. The fact that the guns are "shootable" does not really factor into my decision to carry one or the other. A Glock is just as shootable for a defensive engagement and is 26 ounces unloaded, a pound lighter than the heaviest CZ offering.

Sight options are also limited as are aftermarket accessories to "tune" the gun to your needs. We all love to "tune", right? I just dont see the real point in carrying one of these or recommending them to new shooters unless the end user absolutely knows they want a DA/SA gun.

Dont get me wrong, im not bashing the platform as i shoot them in competition, i just dont see the real point in switching over to one as a carry option when my Glocks seem to fit the roll better.

CC556
08-27-13, 09:35
I agree that the weight of an all-steel 75 is a bit much for carry, though many people don't seem to mind terribly and if you're ok with carrying a 1911 then the 75 shouldn't be any different. If weight is a factor, then there are aluminum-framed 75 compacts available, as well as something like a P-07 or P-09 with polymer frames that also would make good carry guns. In any case with the CZ you still have a gun that fits the hand well, is accurate, reliable, and even if you don't want to get into lots of tinkering can still be made even better with just a few minor parts changes.

azeriosu85
08-27-13, 13:44
The ONLY CZ i would carry or own at this point is a surplus CZ-82 or CZ-83. Yes "anemic" calibers, but those damn guns are sooo accurate, and tough as nails. Plus the fact they are $200 makes it an easy choice. If i was looking at CZ. I owned a P-01 9mm and it was one of the most accurate guns i have ever fired. However i grew tired of the constant trigger slap, powder blast from trigger area, and general poor quality in finish (wear marks after two weeks....) Now this is just one sample of thousands. However i would buy one again, just for different reasons.

Magsz
08-27-13, 20:24
The polycoat finish is indeed garbage. No matter the model (unless you move into the nitrided polymer guns) the all metal framed guns are universally finished...poorly.

dentron
08-27-13, 21:15
Buying quality magazines is important for any semiautomatic firearm. Ive owned 3 CZ pistols and all have been completely reliable. I put 2k rounds of tula through my p01 in a weekend with only a wipe down and light oiling each morning and had no malfunctions except 2 out of spec rounds that wouldnt chamber in any pistol.

As for them being outdated, they were invented in 1975, are a double stack, double action pistol that you can get configured with a safety or decocker. Way more advanced than some other pistols still held in high regard today. And by the same logic, we would all be selling out ARs for Scars or PS90s.

If the steel models are too heavy for you to carry, then check out some of the *awesome* alloy models like the P01 or the polymer models.

Owning a CZ is, like any other choice, a preference. You dont buy a CZ because you want the latest thing out there, you buy a CZ because you want a refined, reliable, accurate pistol that feels and points great.

All that said, the newer black finishes do leave something to be desired.

azeriosu85
08-27-13, 23:36
The polycoat finish is indeed garbage. No matter the model (unless you move into the nitrided polymer guns) the all metal framed guns are universally finished...poorly.

Another reason i vote CZ-82/83 as most of those are parkerized or have the "old school" touch on the finish. Brand new CZ-83's i'm not sure though, no experience with new ones.

MegademiC
08-28-13, 09:02
As for them being outdated, they were invented in 1975, are a double stack, double action pistol that you can get configured with a safety or decocker. Way more advanced than some other pistols still held in high regard today. And by the same logic, we would all be selling out ARs for Scars or PS90s.

If the steel models are too heavy for you to carry, then check out some of the *awesome* alloy models like the P01 or the polymer models.

Owning a CZ is, like any other choice, a preference. You dont buy a CZ because you want the latest thing out there, you buy a CZ because you want a refined, reliable, accurate pistol that feels and points great...

The scar analogy is bad, they are 2x the price o an ar, similar weight and no real improvement. A glock or mp is lighter, striker fired, no safety to deal with, and are cheaper, and require less maintenance. That's why I called it outdated, there are better options than a 75. No one said anything about too heavy, I can have more rounds for less weight.

DanjojoUSMC
08-28-13, 09:52
The scar analogy is bad, they are 2x the price o an ar, similar weight and no real improvement. A glock or mp is lighter, striker fired, no safety to deal with, and are cheaper, and require less maintenance. That's why I called it outdated, there are better options than a 75. No one said anything about too heavy, I can have more rounds for less weight.

I'm not saying I think a CZ is better than those but -

Striker fired may or may not be a plus especially for carry. CZ's basic models are pretty cheap and you have a better chance of their 9mm working out the box with consistency and good accuracy. You have a choice of the decocker models. They require less maintenance than most intelligent people are going to give them anyways. As simple as Glocks and M&P's are you, see recent threads where the multi-part triggers were/are an issue - I'm glad that old school designs don't have that and you could say that is having to deal with a safety of sorts.

I think people pick firearms too much like the way they pick TV sets or smart phones - price and the little features not directly related to their main job get prioritized too much.

Magsz
08-28-13, 12:07
Dan,

Alluding to issues with Glock/M&P triggers is just...unfair..come on man.

The Shield has an issue with the trigger hinge. To date, there are no MAJOR issues with M&P or Glock trigger pads. (some M&P's had walking trigger pins at the hinge point but again, the word SOME is used here, it is not a widespread issue)

All guns have problems. We dont read about alot of CZ problems here because very few members run them. Head over to the CZ forums or Brian Enos and you will see high volume shooters asking for advice on how to fix issues almost daily.

They're all machines, they all break, period, end of story. Having said that, generally speaking, for the role of carry weapons, i choose a less complicated carry pistol, ie a Glock.

Bigun
08-28-13, 21:53
I currently own 2 CZ-75 based pistols a P01 and a standard CZ75B. Both have been highly customised using Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom parts.
The P01 has been my constant companion for the last 6 months and has digested everything I can feed through the magazines, As far as the finish goes it is a carry gun not a show piece. I did have the problem with trigger slap but that was corrected with a CZ 85 trigger which has a much better curve for my trunk sized fingers. It rides in an Alien Gear IWB hybrid holster. Sights are now Meprolite true dots. By replacing a few of the trigger components and the hammer with Cajun gun works parts the DA Pull is now 6.5 pounds and SA is 3 even. Trigger reset is much improved and the pistol is a tack driver. With 6 Mecgar mags and VZ grips I still have less in it than a new SIG 229.
The 75B is a range toy I converted to SAO and is quite possibly the most accurate 9mm pistol I have ever owned or fired. Both have been completely reliable and when the factory finish wears out they will be cerrokoted. I have several other pistols to include SIG's, 1911's and Smith and wesson that rarely find their way into my range bag or concealed carry holsters any more. As an added bonus the P01 will fit into leather holsters for the SIG 229 opening up a lot of holster options.

59Bassman
08-29-13, 03:39
I've owned 4 CZ's to this point. The first was a PCR compact that my wife liked because the grip was similar to a Beretta 92. I had really bad experiences with the Witness pistols in the 90's, and did not want the POS in my house. But the wife was insistent, so we got the PCR. I figured after the first two mags were jamming nightmares (like the Witnesses I remember), we'd take it back, take a loss, and buy the Glock we should have bought in the first place.

The problem was, it didn't jam on the first mag. Or the second. Or any of the 4K rounds I put through it before a dirt bag managed to walk away with it.

A year or so later, I was looking for a new USPSA Production gun. I knew it was going to be a Glock 34, but I spent a day at the range trying everything I could - Sig's, M&P's, XD's, Glocks, my wife's Beretta, and a well-worn CZ. In my hand, the only gun that could outshoot that old CZ was my first-run Kimber. I bought a CZ 75 Shadow and have enjoyed the heck out of it.

I liked my Shadow enough that I bought a CZ CTS (Tactical Sports derivative) as a Limited division gun. And another CZ - a P01 - to replace my wife's stolen PCR. I guess you could say I've become a convert to the platform. Now I'm looking at a 75 Compact L as a carry option, but have not gotten over the price yet.

Love my CZ's, and truly never thought I'd say that.

johnnyrebel87
08-29-13, 09:43
Getting into CZ and CZ clones very soon.

AJD
08-29-13, 18:59
My biggest issue with TDA CZ's is that I can't seem to find good finger placement in DA. The newer "curved" trigger found on models such as the SP-01 have largely improved that issue. Also a stock CZ has a lousy trigger. They are gritty and stack like crazy. A trigger job is practically a must in my view if you really want to get the most out of a CZ and without it they are very lackluster in that area. Dry firing helps but the stacking and creep will remain.

Also the slides stiff to cycle and offer very little gripping area when racking.

Otherwise they feel good in the hand, have a low bore axis/low muzzle flip and usually have really good accuracy.

m4brian
08-29-13, 20:11
I'll admit that OTB, the trigger is a bit so-so. But... it is very shootable. It just can feel like crap in terms of refinement.

CZs, in my experience, are just plain accurate. Pick them up at shows and feel the barrel/slide lock up. Very good for a production pistol. It would be nice if they put scallops into the slide serrations.

Yes, it ain't polymer (other than the very decent looking P07), but it is solid, reliable, and VERY shootable. If you don't object to the 1911, its hard to reject the CZ. And... Mecgar mags are out there in drives and cheap.

My pawn shop CZ 75 Transitional (nonB) had an excellent SA OTB, and has slicked up nicely in DA with a polishing and Froglube. Cajun Gunworks makes a superb trigger pin, good for reassembly - makes it a BREEZE.

Give me a manual safety PCR - PLEASE!

weggy
08-29-13, 20:40
I agree, if I was going to really get into comps, id get a cz and have some work done... its like the "poor mans" 1911 IMO.
I've owned a CZ for about 2yrs now,and so far it's been very reliable. I only have about 1400 rounds through and it always has run fine. I would not hesitate to buy another.:)

Bigun
08-29-13, 21:27
I've owned a CZ for about 2yrs now,and so far it's been very reliable. I only have about 1400 rounds through and it always has run fine. I would not hesitate to buy another.:)

That's the problem, they are addictive. I've owned 6 now and still have 4 the 2 I sold were in times of severe monetary hardship. I have a lot of others that would go before my CZ's now. The thumb safety models are way easier to work on than a SIG or Beretta and they respond well to minor adjustments. Next purchase will probably be a PCR or a SP01 if I can ever find another one reasonably priced.

johnnyrebel87
08-30-13, 07:08
I'll admit that OTB, the trigger is a bit so-so. But... it is very shootable. It just can feel like crap in terms of refinement.

CZs, in my experience, are just plain accurate. Pick them up at shows and feel the barrel/slide lock up. Very good for a production pistol. It would be nice if they put scallops into the slide serrations.

Yes, it ain't polymer (other than the very decent looking P07), but it is solid, reliable, and VERY shootable. If you don't object to the 1911, its hard to reject the CZ. And... Mecgar mags are out there in drives and cheap.

My pawn shop CZ 75 Transitional (nonB) had an excellent SA OTB, and has slicked up nicely in DA with a polishing and Froglube. Cajun Gunworks makes a superb trigger pin, good for reassembly - makes it a BREEZE.

Look at tri star/canik.

CGW has a hammer/sear/spring kit for them already. They are manufactured better than a Cz....less tooling marks and everything.

CC556
08-30-13, 08:51

If one is interested in a CZ for carry, the P07 rates a serious look. I picked one up a few weeks ago. The trigger out of the box is much nicer than the average non-Omega CZ and with just a few parts from Cajun Gun Works (a couple of springs and a longer firing pin) both the DA and SA pull are awesome. The feel in the hand is just like the CZ 75 we all know and love. The ability to switch easily between a decocker and manual safety are nice too since I know a lot of people are strict adherents to one or the other.

m4brian
08-30-13, 11:49
P07 looks very good. Just handled one the other day. The ONLY thing I question is the very curved trigger. On the P01 I did not quite like it, and on the P07 it looks even more curved. I THINK it can be replaced with another trigger - not sure.

I WISH I bought it rather than the C-100 I picked up recently.

CC556
08-30-13, 12:40
The P07s trigger doesn't attach to the trigger bar like the non-Omega guns, "normal" 75 triggers won't work with the P07. To me it doesn't feel any different from the really curved triggers on the other 75s.

MegademiC
08-30-13, 13:07
The black really curved triggers suck. The silver "combat" triggers are much nicer. I forget if it was less travel, or what, but it wasn't even close in my experience. I guess if you have tiny hands you may feel differently, but one reason I went with the SAO trigger is it increased reach. That said, I would not have a DA/SA anyway. If I ever pick up a cz in the future, it will definitely be or be converted into SAO. Changing out the trigger and hammer is easy. If its a comp gun, i'd imagine changing the mainspring would make it ridiculous.

As said, standard triggers are NOT compatable with the convertible omega triggers.

Bigun
09-02-13, 20:29
The black really curved triggers suck. The silver "combat" triggers are much nicer. I forget if it was less travel, or what, but it wasn't even close in my experience. I guess if you have tiny hands you may feel differently, but one reason I went with the SAO trigger is it increased reach. That said, I would not have a DA/SA anyway. If I ever pick up a cz in the future, it will definitely be or be converted into SAO. Changing out the trigger and hammer is easy. If its a comp gun, i'd imagine changing the mainspring would make it ridiculous.

As said, standard triggers are NOT compatable with the convertible omega triggers. I just did a full single action only conversion on my CZ 75B S/A pull stayed right at 3 lbs. I also installed the extended shadow style safety, CGW hammer, adjustable sear extended firing pin, straight CZ SA trigger, short return trigger kit, VZ tactical diamond rosewood colored grips, combined with the CZ Custom tactical rear and fiber optic front sight It is now an incredible pistol. For far less than sending it to a custom smith.

MegademiC
09-03-13, 11:59
I just did a full single action only conversion on my CZ 75B S/A pull stayed right at 3 lbs. I also installed the extended shadow style safety, CGW hammer, adjustable sear extended firing pin, straight CZ SA trigger, short return trigger kit, VZ tactical diamond rosewood colored grips, combined with the CZ Custom tactical rear and fiber optic front sight It is now an incredible pistol. For far less than sending it to a custom smith.

you got pics? I went with the CZcustom adjustable trigger, and it was sick. If it was a comp gun I'd look into removing the fpblock also, but I carried mine so I didn't touch that.

Bigun
09-04-13, 04:29
Just on my cell phone. Not up on all the electronic gizmo's yet still trying to figure out how to post from it.

Pilot1
09-04-13, 08:02
I have owned CZ's since the mid 90's, and have been very pleased with them over the years. The 75B is an all steel, heavy pistol, and I have carried mine without a problem with a good belt and holster. However in 2000 I bought the lightweight, compact, 75D PCR and that has been my main carry ever since. It is lighter, and smaller than the 75B, but still retains 14 + 1 capacity. It is very comparable to a G19 in size. The new P-07, or the alloy frame RAMI 2075 would also be good choices for carry.

Matt O
09-04-13, 08:31
you got pics? I went with the CZcustom adjustable trigger, and it was sick. If it was a comp gun I'd look into removing the fpblock also, but I carried mine so I didn't touch that.

For $5, you can get a reduced power Cajun Gun Works firing pin block spring which, when combined with a polish job on the sides and flat surface of the fpb (that is engaged by the fpb lifter) , significantly reduces the feel of the fpb during the trigger pull while still retaining full functionality.

Bigun
09-06-13, 04:04
For $5, you can get a reduced power Cajun Gun Works firing pin block spring which, when combined with a polish job on the sides and flat surface of the fpb (that is engaged by the fpb lifter) , significantly reduces the feel of the fpb during the trigger pull while still retaining full functionality. And if you drop a 15 lb mainspring in and trim down the sear engagement legs on the hammer you can get a 4lb S/A trigger just be carefull to keep them even on both sides.

09-06-13, 07:37
And if you drop a 15 lb mainspring in and trim down the sear engagement legs on the hammer you can get a 4lb S/A trigger just be carefull to keep them even on both sides.

I never went below #16 on my mainspring for reliable ignition. Now back to standard factory weight due to varied primer use.

Matt O
09-06-13, 07:51
I never went below #16 on my mainspring for reliable ignition. Now back to standard factory weight due to varied primer use.

Interesting, what ammo did you have problems with? I'm running a CGW-slimmed shadow hammer on my SP01 with a 13# main spring and have had no problems with factory ammo so far.

Magsz
09-06-13, 13:15
And if you drop a 15 lb mainspring in and trim down the sear engagement legs on the hammer you can get a 4lb S/A trigger just be carefull to keep them even on both sides.

Trimming the hammer hooks is not something the average Joe should attempt...

I run 11.5 lb mainsprings in my comp guns and have no issues igniting anything but tula/wolf primers. Even CCI primers go off with no issues.

I change the mainsprings every 5k rounds just to keep on top of things.

I am also running extended firing pins and light firing pin springs.

I would say for carry use, a 13 COULD be made reliable but as another poster mentioned, a 15 lb is probably the way to go.

The nice thing about CZ's is that the hammer itself is essentially what controls single action break weight more so than the springs involved. To get a very workable single action there are a myriad of hammer options on the market that will get you where you want to be.

To smooth out your DA pull, you can change the trigger return spring with NO affect on durability/reliability as well as the mainspring provided you dont go too light.

Its a neat and highly customizable system.

59Bassman
09-06-13, 16:34
I will say that with my Shadow, I started with a 13lb spring, and had some failures to fire/light strikes on WWB with it. I've gone to a 15lb spring, and only have failures now if I've got a primer seated too deep on a reloaded case.

m4brian
09-06-13, 17:06
You can get a smooth DA with a 15 or 16 LB Mainspring fairly easily with a polishing job - if you detail strip. Its not rocket science.

My PreB is stock and the DA pull is sweet - like an old S&W revolver that's been broken in well.

You need a 16 LB or harder to reliably shoot the Kadet kit on top. BTW - the Kadet Kit is a heck of a .22 LR conversion. Reliable and accurate.

edvin70
09-08-13, 14:57
I have a SP-01 and changed the mainspring to #13 and added a comp hammer. My only malfunctions have been a few light strikes on WWB 115grn ammo, albeit rare. I use a Wolf #11 recoil spring with 115grn factory ammo.

I absolutely love my CZ, I replaced the night sights with a LPA adjustable rear and fiber optic front not too long ago. Its solid, very accurate and very easy to shoot well. I use it as my everyday carry, IWB.

I'd like to get a P-01 to carry but they are tough to find without paying a premium.

59Bassman
09-08-13, 16:24
I'd like to get a P-01 to carry but they are tough to find without paying a premium.

Carried my P-01 today for the first time today, in a Concealment Solutions horsehide/kydex Black Mamba. First time ever going out without a 1911 for a carry piece. No issues, although the slightly thicker grips doesn't conceal quite as well as my Commander-size 1911.

With all that's going on lately with multiple assailants on single defenders, I worry that 9 rounds (in my 1911) may not be adequate. 15 rounds (in the P-01), while possibly less effective, seem to be a decent compromise.

edvin70
09-09-13, 07:58
Carried my P-01 today for the first time today, in a Concealment Solutions horsehide/kydex Black Mamba. First time ever going out without a 1911 for a carry piece. No issues, although the slightly thicker grips doesn't conceal quite as well as my Commander-size 1911.

With all that's going on lately with multiple assailants on single defenders, I worry that 9 rounds (in my 1911) may not be adequate. 15 rounds (in the P-01), while possibly less effective, seem to be a decent compromise.

I carry my SP-01 in a leather/kydex hybrid, I switched out the rubber grips for Hogue aluminums and it thinned it considerably. I understand that CZ Custom's thin aluminum grips are even thinner and are available for both the SP-01 and P-01. I agree with you on the multiple threat trend, I use a flush 17 mec-gar mag and carry a 18 round factory mag as back up, 36 rnds is nice to have. With todays technology 9mm has some very lethal SD offerings. I'm currently carrying Hornady critical duty but have been a fan of the bigger Gold Dots too.

Magsz
09-09-13, 12:03
The standard slim aluminum grips from cz custom suck...hard.

Make sure you get the textured versions IF you go that route.

59Bassman
09-09-13, 17:11
The standard slim aluminum grips from cz custom suck...hard.

Make sure you get the textured versions IF you go that route.

That's a little harsh...they don't suck...well, kinda they do.

My CTS came with the aluminum grips and skateboard tape. I got a set of VZ's and trimmed them to fit ASAP. I much prefer the feel of the VZ's to the aluminums (or the stock rubber grips, FWIW).

Magsz
09-09-13, 17:35
That's a little harsh...they don't suck...well, kinda they do.

My CTS came with the aluminum grips and skateboard tape. I got a set of VZ's and trimmed them to fit ASAP. I much prefer the feel of the VZ's to the aluminums (or the stock rubber grips, FWIW).

I live in Florida. Bare, untextured aluminum is the WORST gripping surface possible. Plus, the grip tape is in the WEIRDEST location EVER...who actually applies grip pressure there? Not me....