PDA

View Full Version : Question on CL Bbl Break In

Razorhunter
04-20-08, 13:45
Bore Lapping Service:

I recently was reading some info online, about bbl break in, and the topic of discussion was break in procedure for barrels (both chrome lined, and non-chrome lined). Now someone mentioned that certain procedures can be used, in order to get the barrel so finely polished, that it will eventually get to a point that it sustains almost ZERO fouling, since it's so smooth and polished inside.
This can apparently be had with both CL and NON CL bbls.

Does anyone here perform procedures such as this, on their fighting carbines, or is this considered only necessary for SPR's and Sniper rifle systems?
I realize it could probably be done to any bbl I suppose.
This topic just kind of grabbed my interest, and got me thinking about what type of break in procedure I should be using for my 16" carbines, as well as my longer bbl'd SPR's etc?
Are you guys using any certain procedure in order to produce a bbl that does not foul, or fouls very little as an end result?
What do you guys do?
Here is the thread I was reading, which is apparently the procedure used by the guys at MSTN:

QUOTE:

PAUL AND I GUARANTEE A CERTAIN LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE FROM OUR CUSTOM UPPERS, I.E., BARRELS BROKEN IN AND SHOOTING SUB-MOA FIVE SHOT GROUPS. WE HAVE WORKED WITH NUMEROUS CLEANING PRODUCTS AND TECHNIQUES TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.

PHIL SEBERGER PASSED THIS TIP REGARDING KG-2 TO ME SEVERAL YEARS AGO. I WAS A BIT SKEPTICAL BUT TRIED IT. OF COURSE, PHIL WAS 100% CORRECT. WE NOW USE NOTHING BUT KG CLEANING PRODUCTS. THE CONTRACTORS WE'VE OUTFITTED FOR THE SANDBOX SWEAR BY THIS STUFF.

K-G INDUSTRIES CLEANING PRODUCTS, PARTICULARLY KG-2, IS EXTREMELY USEFUL WHEN BREAKING IN A BARREL. FOR BEST RESULTS, USE THE KG-2 WITH THE FOLLOWING BROWNELL'S PRODUCTS:

#929-100-022 VFG ABSORBENT FELT PELLETS

#084-000-019 .22 CAL 8-32 VFG THREE-PELLET ADAPTER

OR ...

#234-810-022 PARKER-HALE 8-32 JAG

BEFORE SHOOTING, USING THE BEST ROD AND BORE GUIDE AVAILABLE, I WORK THE THROAT ABOUT TEN MINUTES. THEN, I HIT THE BARREL FOR ANOTHER FIVE MINUTES. I SIMPLY TIGHTEN THE PELLETS DOWN ON THE ADAPTER AS THEY WEAR TO KEEP THE LEVEL OF FRICTION WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE. WITH THE JAG, YOU JUST CHANGE PATCHES AS NEEDED. I USE A TAPE MARK ON THE ROD TO PREVENT THE PELLETS OR JAG FROM FULLY EXITING THE BORE. VERY LITTLE KG-2 IS REQUIRED.

I THEN FLUSH WITH KG-3 AEROSOL UNTIL CLEAN. A PATCH WITH A FEW DROPS OF KG-4 COMPLETES THE PREPARATION PRIOR TO SHOOTING.

ONCE ON PAPER, WE START SHOOTING FIVE-SHOT GROUPS. WE USE ONLY LILJA, DOUGLAS, AND KRIEGER BARRELS BY COMPASS LAKE ENGINEERING, AND PAC-NOR BARRELS BY J-N RIFLEWORKS, SO GROUP SIZES ARE SIMPLY A MATTER OF JUST HOW WELL THE SHOOTER IS HOLDING AND SQUEEZING. THE BARRELS ALL ARE CAPABLE OF EXCEEDING OUR GUARANTEE WITH FACTORY MATCH GRADE AMMO AND ALWAYS DO.

IF THE GROUPS START TO OPEN UP, THIS MEANS THE BARREL IS FOULING. WE STOP AND CLEAN WITH THE TECHNIQUE LISTED BELOW. IF THE GROUPS REMAIN CONSISTENTLY UNDER MOA, WE CLEAN EVERY 20 ROUNDS, WITH THE TECHNIQUE LISTED BELOW, AND CONTINUE THE PROCESS UNTIL WE SEE CONSISTENT RESULTS AND A BARREL THAT DOES NOT FOUL.

WHEN CLEANING THE BORE, WE USE THE FOLLOWING PROCESS:

KG-1 REMOVES CARBON

KG-3 REMOVES RESIDUE

KG-12 REMOVES COPPER

KG-3 REMOVES RESIDUE

KG-2 POLISHES BORE (1200 GRIT NON-IMBEDDING POLISH - MUCH FINER THAN JB BORE PASTE)

KG-3 REMOVES RESIDUE

KG-4 PROTECTS BORE

I KNOW THIS SOUNDS LIKE A LONG AND LABORIOUS CLEANING PROCESS, BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT IT IS NOT, ESPECIALLY ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT. MOST IMPORTANTLY, YOU CAN REALLY GET THE BORE PERFECTLY CLEAN.

THE KG-1 IS GREAT FOR SOAKING THE BOLT CARRIER GROUP PARTS TO GET THE CARBON OFF. THE KG-3 YOU WILL USE FOR EVERYTHING, SO GET SEVERAL WHEN YOU ORDER.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Severian
04-20-08, 15:54
blank

CHoffman
04-20-08, 17:08
I just pre-clean mine when new and take it to the range and shoot how ever many rounds I bring and then go home and clean. No 'break-in' for me. Some believe the first shot from the barrel is the most accurate and it just degrades from there. Which I would agree with when using a quality barrel with no burrs or any such imperfections. My barrels clean-up with minimal passes after just a few range sessions. I don't get to go out shooting as much as I would like to anymore so I would rather spend that time shooting than cleaning every other round or half-way through a mag. But thats just me, others do it differently I'm sure.