PDA

View Full Version : BCM barrels ?

1911vm
08-25-13, 20:51
I used the orange search button but could not find the answer. Who makes BCM BHM barrels.

Wake27
08-25-13, 20:52
Nevermind.

steyrman13
08-25-13, 20:58
I used the orange search button but could not find the answer. Who makes BCM BHM barrels.

Are you asking about the BFH (Barrel Forged Hammer) barrels or regular barrels, or SS barrels?

AMMOTECH
08-25-13, 21:10
I think there is a company in Columbia, SC that makes some of their barrels. (& it's not PSA)

:ph34r:

levik97
08-25-13, 21:15
Deleted for retarded post. Sorry AMMOTECH!

Levi

_Stormin_
08-25-13, 21:18
Pretty sure FN makes PSA barrels.

Levi

Yeah, the guy that works for FN is probably pretty well informed about that.

steyrman13
08-25-13, 21:22
in reference to the deleted post- I think he was saying making some of BCM barrels not just PSA.
FN supplies several companies with the Hammer forged barrels.

bp7178
08-25-13, 21:34
Non-hammer forged, Criterion.

I'd suspect that just about every hammer forged barrel that isn't a Daniel Defense is FN.

Also, its kind of a loaded question when you ask who makes XXXX's barrels.

I have a SPR barrel that is a Bartlein cut-rifled 18", but was finished by Compass Lake.

So who made it? Well, Bartlein would have took the raw steel, deep hole drilled and rifled it as well as preforming some hardness/stress work. Compass Lake would have fitted the extension, drill for gas port, chambered & head-spaced w/fitted bolt, threaded at the muzzle, final profiling and in my case bead blasting, et al.

Criterion barrels can be ordered finished and ready to install, and the company caters to the OEM market. All that being said, I'm sure they'd happily sell a company partially finished blanks.

So who made it? Even the answer doesn't tell you much without knowing the entire process.

AMMOTECH
08-25-13, 21:36
This link was just posted by member "Biggy" in the GD:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/foghorn/a-look-inside-fnms-south-carolina-barrel-shop/

VIP3R 237
08-25-13, 21:40
This link was just posted by member "Biggy" in the GD:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/foghorn/a-look-inside-fnms-south-carolina-barrel-shop/

Thanks for the link. I have been impressed by FN's barrels with both BCM and Spikes Tactical.

TactTeam
08-25-13, 22:18
Not sure who makes their BFH barrels put I can vouch for their abilities. I love mine.

Here is a post from BCM on the ARFCOM.

"As a company policy we don’t disclose information as it relates to sourcing and supply. We do however set a very high standard on offering specific technical information applied across the entire Bravo Company MFG line of products. That information, standards, and specifications are infinitely more important to the consumer."

"Bravo barrels are made to our specifications and are illustrated in our purchase orders. Whether it is the CMV barrels or the SS410 barrels, any outsourcing is done by industry leading world class manufacturing companies."

"Thanks for your interest, Paul"

Here is a link to the thread is you want to verify for yourself.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=511570

ericl
08-25-13, 23:05
Not to go too far of the subject, but why is it always a mystery? Many companies, including those with outstanding reputations like BCM, choose to keep their sources a secret per "company policy"? Everyone knows their products are outsourced, no one has a problem with that. We all know that the final producer (i.e. BCM) uses a great QC process. I would however appreciate full disclosure (transparency is a popular word these days) as to where they components originate.

.46caliber
08-25-13, 23:31
Not to go too far of the subject, but why is it always a mystery? Many companies, including those with outstanding reputations like BCM, choose to keep their sources a secret per "company policy"? Everyone knows their products are outsourced, no one has a problem with that. We all know that the final producer (i.e. BCM) uses a great QC process. I would however appreciate full disclosure (transparency is a popular word these days) as to where they components originate.

Not the horse's mouth, but I would speculate that it is, in part, to prevent confusion and chaos in the event of a source change.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

polymorpheous
08-25-13, 23:52
Fabrique Nationale USA produces the CMV chrome lined barrels.
Criterion, (formerly Kreiger Criterion), produces the 410 stainless barrels.

gesundheit
08-26-13, 02:47
Non-hammer forged, Criterion.

I'd suspect that just about every hammer forged barrel that isn't a Daniel Defense is FN.

Would this apply to Noveske as well? IIRC Noveske does the final finishing job on their CHF barrels but they are not originating from FN.

SigSlave
08-26-13, 03:13
Threads like this make me smile. It makes "X is better than Y" threads funny. People arguing what brand is better when both companies use the same suppliers.

The industry is so inbred. Brand X and Y are probably both getting their barrels from Wilson Arms or Green Mountain anyway.

polymorpheous
08-26-13, 03:20
Except BCM gets none of their barrels from Green Mountain or Wilson.

Neither does Colt, Daniel Defense, Centurion, Noveske... See a trend here?

SigSlave
08-26-13, 03:24
Except BCM gets none of their barrels from Green Mountain or Wilson.

Neither does Colt, Daniel Defense, Centurion, Noveske... See a trend here?

Are you so sure about the last line of your post? How do you know? I know you are wrong about at least one.

My statement wasn't directed to BCM. Sorry if I got off topic. I was just commenting on the industry in general. None of us know who makes what for who but there is a perceived quality difference in 2 companies who use the same parts. That's all I was saying.

wetidlerjr
08-26-13, 03:50
I see this question (Who makes Brand A's barrels?) often on various forums. Why does it matter where it comes from if it is a quality product from a quality company? I am asking out of genuine curiosity.

lethal dose
08-26-13, 04:23
It likely doesn't matter. I'm almost certain Paul has his own specs on what goes into a barrel that, no matter who made them for him, they would be the same.

polymorpheous
08-26-13, 04:58
Exactly.
Just like the forge marks on the upper receiver.
The more important things are the machining specs and materials.

As far as Wilson and Green Mountain are concerned, AFAIK neither have a hammer forge.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a 4150CMV barrel come from either.

1911vm
08-26-13, 05:19
I see this question (Who makes Brand A's barrels?) often on various forums. Why does it matter where it comes from if it is a quality product from a quality company? I am asking out of genuine curiosity.

Honestly I was just wondering. I am considering getting a BCM upper. so I want to know as much as I can about a product that I am spending good money on. for example : I know of a manufacturer who is on there 2 barrel manufacturer. the 2nd one is better then the first one. so if I am spending my money I would rather get that rifle. if BCM has been using the same manufacturer for the past X amount of years then all is good.
Just my way of thinking, I could be completely wrong LOL. that's is why I was asking .

SigSlave
08-26-13, 05:30

I agree who cares? I'm sure if it has BCM's stamp of approval, it is a quality product.

SigSlave
08-26-13, 05:34
Exactly.
Just like the forge marks on the upper receiver.
The more important things are the machining specs and materials.

As far as Wilson and Green Mountain are concerned, AFAIK neither have a hammer forge.
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a 4150CMV barrel come from either.

I don't believe either brand makes a CHF barrel either. I just mentioned them because they make a lot of manufacturers barrels.

Yojimbo
08-26-13, 08:59
To the guys that sill don't know. Read the the first several posts more closely. The question on who makes BCM BHF barrels was actually answered...;)

C4IGrant
08-26-13, 09:06

When a company is trying to build THEIR brand name, you NEVER list where products are coming from (even if they are the best in the world) as it detracts from your company. ;)

I know where most all BCM products come from. That is why my AR's use BCM barrels (as I cannot buy any better barrel on the market in both SS and Chrome lined).

Just a note, lots of companies source their hammer forged barrels from one source. What matters though are the specs. What GP size was requested? Contour? Chamber? Etc. All of this has to be given to said company. Point being, not all HF barrels are equal IMHO.

C4

Treiz
08-26-13, 11:13
I don't know where it originated, but my light weight BFH was making 1/2MOA to 1MOA groups the other day at the range. I'm satisfied.

TactTeam
08-26-13, 11:26
I don't know where it originated, but my light weight BFH was making 1/2MOA to 1MOA groups the other day at the range. I'm satisfied.

Ditto on the gov profile. Keyhole'n at 100 and ringing the 10" sniper steel all day long!

steyrman13
08-26-13, 11:33
Ditto on the gov profile. Keyhole'n at 100 and ringing the 10" sniper steel all day long!

Key holing is a bad thing. That means the bullet it tumbling.

TactTeam
08-26-13, 11:36
Key holing is a bad thing. That means the bullet it tumbling.

Keyholing as in stacking bullets on top of on another to make a keyhole like shape. I guess you could call it stacking rounds......I haven't measured group size so I cant tell you what that is.

We have a tendency to use that term for both.

T2C
08-26-13, 11:46
I can understand why someone would want to know the source of a barrel, but I can also understand why a company would not want to make the infomation public.

I think that if a company touts their product as top of the line made with first rate components, they should expect this type of question. Consumers are going to find out one way or another and being secretive about parts sourcing may put off some of them. For example, it might be better to say "our barrels are made by FN to our stringent specifications" than to avoid the issue.

steyrman13
08-26-13, 11:52
Keyholing as in stacking bullets on top of on another to make a keyhole like shape. I guess you could call it stacking rounds......I haven't measured group size so I cant tell you what that is.

We have a tendency to use that term for both.

I figured that's what you meant.

C4IGrant
08-26-13, 12:49
I can understand why someone would want to know the source of a barrel, but I can also understand why a company would not want to make the infomation public.

I think that if a company touts their product as top of the line made with first rate components, they should expect this type of question. Consumers are going to find out one way or another and being secretive about parts sourcing may put off some of them. For example, it might be better to say "our barrels are made by FN to our stringent specifications" than to avoid the issue.

My guess is that if the person doesn't trust what the manufacturer is telling them (that their barrels are excellent), then they should probably roll onto a different manufacturer.

Being a Distributor for most all the good AR manufacturers, I can honestly say that you will not find a more honest company than BCM. So when they say something is good or the best you can get, you can take that to the bank.

When I see companies advertise that their products are made by company XYZ, that tells me that there is some consumer confidence issues with their name.

C4