PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on Century Arms 'Canada' FAL

beschatten
08-25-13, 20:58
I'm sorry for the post but it's kind of got to be a quick decision. I was proposed with a trade for one of my mid-level 1911's for a Century Arms FAL. Now I'm not new to guns but I am new to an FAL - getting one has never even crossed my mind but there is a certain allure to getting an FAL. I've done quite a bit of reading and am having a hard time with what to look for when I go to inspect and fire the gun (aside from the obvious: look for any dremel abuse, a worn barrel, test fire for function ect).

Some information on it is the receiver says 'Made in Canada'. It has an inch pattern. It comes with a Tapco dust cover and a stamped steel dust cover. It's a 20 inch barrel with the 'long piston' design. And it has a 12 setting gas system? And the owner runs it at 7?

Any tips on things to look for, or if a Century Arms FAL is something I just should avoid - is much appreciated.

ryan
08-25-13, 21:28
Check the FALfiles as well as here.

I would avoid century.

beschatten
08-25-13, 21:58
Check the FALfiles as well as here.

I would avoid century.

Out of bad reputation or would it cost more money to get the thing working right than what it's worth? I'll go read up on the FALFiles.

ryan
08-25-13, 22:25
Both, plus it's an L1A1 (inch) config, good bit harder to find mags for.

Miami_JBT
08-26-13, 00:02
Not all Century Arms marked FALs are bad. They imported Imbel FAL receivers and part kits a while back and these were prime time FALs when built right. I owned one and other then it saying Century Arms as the importer it was 100% real deal Brazilian military FAL. I sold it but it was for other reasons; not because it was bad. As for C1A1 inch pattern FALs. T
If it is a inch pattern receiver, then both metric and inch pattern magazibes can be used. As for those being any good; I haven't the foggiest idea.

All I can say is this. Inspect the out of it before you trade.

MistWolf
08-26-13, 02:49
I'm sorry for the post but it's kind of got to be a quick decision. I was proposed with a trade for one of my mid-level 1911's for a Century Arms FAL. Now I'm not new to guns but I am new to an FAL - getting one has never even crossed my mind but there is a certain allure to getting an FAL. I've done quite a bit of reading and am having a hard time with what to look for when I go to inspect and fire the gun (aside from the obvious: look for any dremel abuse, a worn barrel, test fire for function ect).

Some information on it is the receiver says 'Made in Canada'. It has an inch pattern. It comes with a Tapco dust cover and a stamped steel dust cover. It's a 20 inch barrel with the 'long piston' design. And it has a 12 setting gas system? And the owner runs it at 7?

Any tips on things to look for, or if a Century Arms FAL is something I just should avoid - is much appreciated.

Century Fals marked "Made in Canada" are parts rifles assembled by Century in Canada on Imbel receivers. If it was built with a good Brit or Aussie kit, it will be a good rifle. Indian kits tended to be rough. Here's a short thread with more info
http://falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3601899&highlight=Canadian+Century#post3601899

Using the search at the Falfiles, I typed in "Canadian Century" and got the following results
http://falfiles.com/forums/search.php?searchid=528150

The guys over on Falfiles (http://falfiles.com/forums/index.php) are the best source of knowledge about the Fal on the planet