PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 Socom Trigger Upgrade

Doug in Alaska
08-25-13, 21:30
Yep, I did a search and know what is popular but wondering if you guys can give me your opinion. What trigger do suggest as an upgrade?
Thanks

NoveskeFan
08-25-13, 21:39
If you want a new trigger, look into Geissele or ALG defense. Any reason you're looking to change triggers?

EDIT: I run Geissele SSA's and love them. Great 2-stage trigger and great customer service from the company. I think I'm going to try a QMS or ACT from ALG for my next build.

VIP3R 237
08-25-13, 21:46
There is quite a number of existing thread available about triggers and recommended upgrades.

Geissele tops the list.

Doug in Alaska
08-25-13, 21:46
Thanks much for the reply. The trigger feels a little a little heavy to me.

Tooth & Nail
08-25-13, 21:47
I would also suggest a Geissele. There are quite a few models to choose from depending on your application. I like the SSA for a general purpose carbine, and have found the improvement over a stock trigger to be worth while. For a more precision oriented application I think the SSA-E is really nice if you want the simplicity of a non-adjustable model. The one I've used breaks very cleanly. I haven't used any of the other Geissele models, but everything I've read about them has been good.

SilverBullet432
08-25-13, 21:50
Alg defense , ACT trigger

thopkins22
08-25-13, 22:09
https://www.m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=which+trigger&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D137473&ref=www.m4carbine.net%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D6301360&ss=6120j2991688j29

Covered ad nauseam.

Doug in Alaska
08-25-13, 23:17
The thing I like most about this forum is that most of you are polite (right). Wouldn't it be more constructive to not even bother rather than show your arrogance and then take the time to respond with a negative post. I sure wish I were as knowledgeable as some of you guys, then there would be no reason for questions. :rolleyes:

Now, go for it! Eat my lunch. I have thick skin.

thopkins22
08-25-13, 23:28
I provided you with a link that had 63,000 results from this forum regarding "which trigger." Skim past the ones that aren't for AR's and you're gold.

I'm legitimately sorry if I offended you...it was meant to say "there's a wealth of information on this site going back years, and lots of instances of this exact question being asked, the answers you're going to hear today aren't likely to be different."

I'm firmly of the opinion that if you can't articulate why you need a trigger upgrade, that you don't need a trigger upgrade. Perhaps you can articulate that need, and if so I apologize...but to me your post reads "I've seen a bunch of information, couldn't make a decision, but I want to spend money, tell me how."

That being said if you need a trigger other than the one that came with the gun, you need a Geissele. Hard to go wrong with what has become the gold standard of 2-stage AR triggers, the SSA.

Doug in Alaska
08-25-13, 23:50
I provided you with a link that had 63,000 results from this forum regarding "which trigger." Skim past the ones that aren't for AR's and you're gold.

I'm legitimately sorry if I offended you...it was meant to say "there's a wealth of information on this site going back years, and lots of instances of this exact question being asked, the answers you're going to hear today aren't likely to be different."

I'm firmly of the opinion that if you can't articulate why you need a trigger upgrade, that you don't need a trigger upgrade. Perhaps you can articulate that need, and if so I apologize...but to me your post reads "I've seen a bunch of information, couldn't make a decision, but I want to spend money, tell me how."

That being said if you need a trigger other than the one that came with the gun, you need a Geissele. Hard to go wrong with what has become the gold standard of 2-stage AR triggers, the SSA.

Quite frankly, I didn't say anything about seeing a bunch of info and couldn't make a decision, just wanted to spend money. I said the trigger feels heavy to me. I spend most of my time shooting custom Remington 700s so maybe this is why the trigger doesn't feel quite right to me. I also have a Colt SP1 I bought back during the Clinton years and never really liked the trigger on it either. Believe me, I'm not bashing Colt, otherwise I wouldn't have bought a new one. This is a fine weapon, just looking for a trigger that feels better to me.

I really appreciate your info letting me know that there are 63,000 results that answer my question. I also apologize if I didn't articulate well enough. No hard feelings from my end, I appreciate the info.

thopkins22
08-26-13, 00:01
Quite frankly, I didn't say anything about seeing a bunch of info and couldn't make a decision, just wanted to spend money. I said the trigger feels heavy to me. I spend most of my time shooting custom Remington 700s so maybe this is why the trigger doesn't feel quite right to me. I also have a Colt SP1 I bought back during the Clinton years and never really liked the trigger on it either. Believe me, I'm not bashing Colt, otherwise I wouldn't have bought a new one. This is a fine weapon, just looking for a trigger that feels better to me.

I really appreciate your info letting me know that there are 63,000 results that answer my question. I also apologize if I didn't articulate well enough. No hard feelings from my end, I appreciate the info.

No worries. If you had put those thoughts into your OP, you likely would have gotten to the point faster, without the incessant search hawks hounding you. ;) Don't go chasing a tuned 700 trigger in an AR. Not gonna happen, at least not if you want it to be reliable.

Light, reliable, aftermarket triggers are as follows.

Geissele SSA.
Geissele SSA-E.
Geissele S3G.
Geissele HS.

Notice a trend? ;)

bluejackets92fs
08-26-13, 00:10
Alg defense , ACT trigger

Gets my vote if you want to stay with a combat style trigger that doesn't suck.

wetidlerjr
08-26-13, 04:30
The thing I like most about this forum is that most of you are polite (right). Wouldn't it be more constructive to not even bother rather than show your arrogance and then take the time to respond with a negative post. I sure wish I were as knowledgeable as some of you guys, then there would be no reason for questions. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with questions but this one has been asked many (many, many) times. The "Powers that be" here prefer a "Search" over starting another thread. It has nothing to do with arrogance (mine or anyone's) and a lot to do with not wasting time (yours and mine) and bandwidth.

mdrums
08-26-13, 20:24

LOL Doug get use to it around here. I'm new to the forum and to AR's...and have been attacked for asking questions or especially starting posts.:eek:;)

C4IGrant
08-26-13, 20:34
Yep, I did a search and know what is popular but wondering if you guys can give me your opinion. What trigger do suggest as an upgrade?
Thanks

Best value = Geissele G2S

Any of the Geissele triggers are awesome. My personal fav is the SD-C.

C4

TBomb
08-26-13, 22:37
Best value = Geissele G2S

C4

The Super Dynamics are pretty amazing. I was skeptical until I tried one.

flipnidaho
08-26-13, 23:52

C4

agree

Zirk208
08-27-13, 03:38
LOL Doug get use to it around here. I'm new to the forum and to AR's...and have been attacked for asking questions or especially starting posts.:eek:;)

Here is why some people get their panties in a twist around here. This thread was started with, "What trigger should I get?" and nothing more. Fill us in on some details with your opening post. What type of shooting do you do? What do you dislike about your stock trigger? What are you hoping to improve/gain? What have you tried? Budget? etc. These questions/answers didn't come out until after the "look it up yourself" responses were posted.

I know the "Use the Search Button" crowd comes off a little strong, especially with the influx of new members in the last year, but a well written and well defined opening post can avert some of that. Give us all the info you can so the responses can be tailored to help. Otherwise you might get 89 different responses for 63 different types of triggers and you'll be no better off than when you started.

NOW...To answer the original question. I'm sticking with my stock Colt 6920 trigger. It has some grit and creep, but I'm more curious than anything to see how long/how many round it will take to smooth out.

TYPEII
08-28-13, 11:40
I like Geissele too, worth the extra 2 bills...

monadh
08-29-13, 01:17
I am the odd man out. My SOCOM has the best single stage trigger I have ever had on an AR. Not gritty, break is not what I would consider heavy. I am very happy with it. And the whole rifle for that matter.

Double3
08-29-13, 05:27
I am the odd man out. My SOCOM has the best single stage trigger I have ever had on an AR. Not gritty, break is not what I would consider heavy. I am very happy with it. And the whole rifle for that matter.

I have no problem with mine either.

Archer1440
08-29-13, 11:13
Having dry-fired three separate, new 6920 SOCOM rifles just yesterday afternoon, I found one that had a decent but heavy trigger and two that were nine miles of potholed gravel road. Clearly YMMV.

When the trigger weight approaches the mass weight of the rifle, something needs refinement.

To answer the question, the Geissele SSA and SSA-E have well earned reputations.