PDA

View Full Version : DD 18" 5.56 S2W accuracy

ericl
08-26-13, 00:48
My click of the "search" button did not yield the information I am seeking. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the mechanical accuracy of the DD 18" 5.56 S2W barrels? MOA? Better than MOA? They are 4150 CMV, not chrome lined, salt bath nitride inside and out, I know this for fact. The lack of chrome lining (replaced by the SBN...speculated to be even more durable and long lasting) increases the accuracy potential. While everyone has always gone to SS for accuracy, this was because no CL was necessary. Hoping the Salt Bath Nitride coating on a 4150 barrel is the best of both worlds.

bp7178
08-26-13, 01:12
There are considerations with the SB process. It isn't the free lunch people think it is.

What are your accuracy goals?

Back when they were CL barrels, one of their sale people told me the S2W barrels were sub-moa, but that gives a big range in the precision rifle world.

I also wouldn't say everyone has gone to SS for accuracy. Unlined CMV barrels can be very accurate, but there are corrosion concerns.

ericl
08-26-13, 01:15
Sorry to have incorrectly put this under handguns! Lost my mind for minute. Too many monsters in the hot sun. I will repost under ar15 section!

ericl
08-26-13, 01:18
bp7178, thanks for your response. I value what you are saying. I have reposted this under ar technical discussion (where it should have been to begin with). If you have any more input, please follow up there. Thanks