PDA

View Full Version : Do Glock AA .22LR Conversion mags drop free?

jjminch
08-26-13, 12:03
I just recently put together a dedicated .22 trainer. My carry gun is a G19, but I scored a G31 frame (2nd gen) for next to nothing. The frame came stripped, although the mag release was still there.

I ordered all of the correct Glock OEM parts from Glockmeister, and assembled the lower, and put the AA LE .22 slide on it. None of the three .22 magazines drop free from the weapon, whether unloaded or loaded.

An OEM 9mm G17 mag however will drop free (I tried this with slide removed, if that has any effect).

Is this common for the kit, or do I have a problem somewhere? One of the reasons I purchased it was to work on reloading drills as well as the shooting fundamentals.

T2C
08-26-13, 12:14
I have an AA kit on my Glock 34 and all of the magazines drop free.

jjminch
08-26-13, 12:30
Thanks. Maybe someone else will chime in later if they've experienced this problem.

Do the Glock mag release "spring" wear out, or the catch itself? No idea on the usage history of the frame, so maybe that's the case.

T2C
08-26-13, 12:42
The magazine catch spring should not make contact with a magazine. You might consider removing the magazine catch and see if the magazines will drop free without it. That will help you narrow down what is causing the problem.

lurpygeek
08-26-13, 14:25
I have an AA .22LR conversion kit for my Glock 27.

I've got one flush-fitting 10 round magazine and one extended 10 round magazine for it.

Both drop free.

Up1911fan
08-26-13, 14:28
I picked up an extra G19 frame and did the same thing. All 6 of my mag's drop free without issue.

jjw
08-26-13, 14:36
i was a large dealer for them. didn't quit them due to bad gear.
good gear. terrible c/s and the wife was a pia to talk to and always rude.

some mags drop free some dont no defining reason. DO NOT SAND THE MAG WELL. not ur lowers fault.
small shop made good gear but got overwhelmed i think
still have 1 upper for all my guns (no not for sale)

just add a strip of aluminum or light plate of lead sheeting with j-b weld. no worries. i never needed to but rec to a lot of customers. always worked fine. dont need much wt.

ask if u need more

jjw

Gatorbait
08-26-13, 16:27
My experience with the AA Glock conversions has been a pretty good one, but not without a little work. I have a couple of them for G21's... both needed some break in time to get consistent performance, including the feeding/ejection/slide action.

A couple of the magazines also needed some work to get going reliably, including a couple hundred insertion/withdraws to work the hang spots out. For me, it took a bulk pack, but both work great now..
YMMD...
Cheers,
GB

SeriousStudent
08-26-13, 21:02
I have a Gen2 G19 frame dedicated as a .22 trainer. All 6 of my AA mags drop free.

I do not bounce them off the pavement like a pogo stick, however.

Frailer
08-26-13, 21:42
I have a 17/22 kit on a Gen3 22 frame, and my four mags all drop free.

jjminch
08-26-13, 21:50
Well thanks for all the replies. I did contemplate adding lead weights to the mag to help them drop free, so it's interesting I'm not the only one who though of adding weight.

I also emailed AA on this and they replied same day. I will post it below:

" Josh,

After using the magazine a few times look for any rub marks on the
magazines, they will probably appear as shinny marks. Once you've located
where the mag is rubbing you can either sand or file the area a little until
the mag drops free.

Regards,

Advantage Arms"

I'm going to see if I can identify any "shiney spots in the mags after inserting and stripping the mag a few dozen times tonight. I could see one out of spec but all three seems odd.

Will report back and see if that fixes the problem.

T2C
08-26-13, 22:05
You might want to check the magazine catch for a burr or deformity before sanding the magazines. The magazine catch should be less expensive to replace than a magazine.

jjminch
08-27-13, 00:45
Just played insert the magazine for an hour. Definitely is closer to dropping free, as it will drop if I shake the weapon. Still not there though.

Didn't see any burrs on the mag catch, but the exposed button is much shallower compared to my other glocks. As in I don't think I can fully depress it with my thumb as I normally do with my other pistols.

The AA mag had some flashings, and high spots. Gently knocked them down a bit with a fine file.

jjminch
09-02-13, 03:18
Mags drop free now. Had to run the mags through 100x and use the file a bit. If anyone else has this problem, just find the shiney spots one thr mags and gently sand them m

Thanks for the help guys.