PDA

View Full Version : What Should I do?

X-man2112
08-26-13, 14:45
Here's my dilemma I have wanted to buy both a fde scar 17 and hk mr556 for a long time. I recently found an HK that I'm in the process of buying in fact I'm drosing it Friday, but I found a guy who has a new in the box scar 17 fde that wants to trade for my rifle. My question is should I do it? I live in CA so I'll probably not have a chance to get either one by the end of the year. So send me your thoughts and what you would do.

Thanks ahead of time.

All right here's a little more background I am very experienced behind the gun I don't need any of them but I want both of them and only one is accessible right now. I own plenty of ar platforms and some cool 7.62 like a Troy Rock Sopmod to name just one. The reason I ask is because it looks like I'll only beable to get one because of the scarcity of these rifles and pending Ca legislation. So with that being said if you could have one of the 2 which one would you get? Btw I have property in other states so when I retire I'll leave here its just I'm so invested in work and to leave would cost me my pension with my job.

SpankMonkey
08-26-13, 14:49
I would move to a free state and not worry about what commies think of me and buy whatever I wanted when I want it.

Freedom is not free and comes with a price. Protect your family and move them to a free state.

CrazyFingers
08-26-13, 15:01
A. Get the one that suits your needs better.
B. Get the one you want more.
(Note: These are not necessarily the same thing)
C. Get both.
D. Get neither.

Since you have given no information on your needs, currently owned firearms, level of proficiency with either of these new rifles, and financial situation, I don't see how you're going to get a lot of useful advice.
Personally, I'd skip them both, since I neither need nor want them.

coastwatcher42
08-26-13, 20:22
I don't know what your needs are, but for me it would be HK all the way.

darbn
08-26-13, 20:25
Cant go wrong with the SCAR. I have a 16s. Smoothest rifle I ever shot.

albatrossarmament
08-27-13, 09:05
If I had to choose one, SCAR

Airhasz
08-27-13, 09:11
HK all the way for me.

PatrioticDisorder
08-27-13, 09:22
I would move, but if it's one or the other I'd get the SCAR 17s... But I'm bias as I own one.

BIGUGLY
08-27-13, 09:25
If getting them is important to you, get both. Especially if they may not be available to you in the near future, If money is a concern I would look at what you have and something you might like but don't put rounds through and see about getting rid of them to fund the two you want.

If in a year or two you decide you don't need one of them you should be able to recoup you cost.

CrazyFingers
08-27-13, 09:30
Your edit adds a lot of good info.
[EDIT] Some marginally more informative info.[EDIT]
Personally, since I've never fired either, I really can't say much about the practical aspects of one or the other, and those should be your primary decision criteria.
However, you could also consider financial and sociopolitical aspects.
Is one more likely to appreciate in value or be more desirable in a trade?
Does one have components or manufacturing practices that make it more likely to last longer or take more abuse?
Is one more likely for some reason to be the target of restrictions or bans, thus increasing its perceived value?
Again, these should be down on your list of decision criteria, but they are things to consider.

RaggedEdge
08-27-13, 15:36
The HK is no doubt a nice gun, but its still a piston driven AR. Nothing too unique. So I'd go with the Scar. It's a different platform. Then id buy an AR lower or two for a future build. Not really sure how the laws will impact you though. Be best to hold each and give them a shot but....

richiecotite
08-27-13, 19:25
Hmm, neutered bootleg 416 or badass man caliber lead slinger :D

But really, get the SCAR, especially if iTs FDE. Mo' tactical!

JSantoro
08-28-13, 09:48
This thread is essentially "HK or SCAR? GO!!"

The edit did NOT add good info, because there's nothing articulating what it is between a mere TWO types of gun that's generating a case of Analysis Paralysis.

Most of the responses are essentially "You should get what I got; because I gots it, that means it's teh bestest EVAR."

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/6317/ruprecht.jpg

The question, as posed, is answerable by a coin-toss, because it's center of gravity is not firearm features/attributes, but go-time on a piece of legislation that equally disdains both types.

This better jump a notch or three in terms of substantive discussion points. Crazy Fingers is trying to steer it that way, and the folks who are more eager to post than they are to contribute are getting in the way of that.

X-man2112
08-28-13, 10:10
At this point I am 50/50 I think Crazy Fingers hit it on the head in terms of future value and scarcity. In the end I might stick with the HK because you can't find them any where and as much as I want a scar 17 in fde I still can find black scar 17's from people willing to ship to Ca. But the other issue is I have plenty of ar platforms and if I really want I can buy an upper for the mr556 to add to one of my lowers. As I said before if I could get both rifles I would and because these are not need items they are my wants it makes it harder because there is no practical point of view I can use to make a decision. Who knows tomorrow I may decide on the scar because I enjoyed my 16 when I had one or I may decide that I just want to limit the number of 7.62 rifles I have and ammo I store and stick with the 556. It's a good dilemma to have but never the less its still a dilemma I have to figure out. Stay tune I'll let you guys know and i appreciate all the feedback.

X-man2112
08-29-13, 22:16
Thanks for all the help guys but at the end of the ay I chose the scar 17. I went with the rifle I'd been chasing for the last 3 years it just made since for me to just get it. I think it will be a great edition to my collection and I got a feeling it may become my primary 7.62 battle rifle. I'll post pics after getting it out of the CA. 10 day jail period. If you have a mr556 you might want to sell let me know.;)

JPB
08-29-13, 23:10
You made the right choice. When HK starts offering legitimate versions of the 416, then we'll have a competition.

GSPKurt
09-01-13, 21:49
Scar!

RogerinTPA
09-01-13, 22:12
Purchase both during your move out of the state.