PDA

View Full Version : 6mm remington ai

noliver
08-27-13, 12:38
I was looking for a fast flat shooting light recoil rifle to shoot a 95g vdl @ around 3400fps and came across the 6mm Remington AI. I don't know anyone who owns one so I am going by the opinions of others who have had one. So if you own this caliber or have owned one please tell me what you think about it. The 3400fps with a 95g bullet may not be possible unless you use a very long barrel and I wanted to keep barrel length at around 24". But any help with someone who has had experience with it would be appreciated!

TWR
08-28-13, 20:40
I have a friend with one that shoots 75 & 85 grain Barnes bullets at speeds I won't publish. My cousin just had one built and is sticking with the lighter bullets too so I have no direct info on the 95's but 85's hit 3400 pretty easily.

I built a 243ai with an 8 twist to shoot 105 Amax's. The thought being the shorter case allows for longer bullets to feed from the magazine of a short action. I average 3168 fps in a 22" barrel at 70 degrees and could get a little more but I've yet to work any further with it.

noliver
08-28-13, 20:53
I have had concerns about the 95g vdls feeding through a short action. I still have not decided on the 243 ai or 6mm ai only because of the feeding issues associated with the longer cartridge of the 6mm in a short action. I had a guy tell me that a wyatt mag could be installed to take care of the feeding issues. The Wyatt mag gives about .020 more room I believe but I am just going on what someone told me. I know most people would just say get a long action but I have a short action laying around and I like short actions better. Anyway I am still trying to decide what to do. If anyone has any experience with the Wyatt mag I would like to hear it.

TWR
08-28-13, 21:34
I've heard the same about the Wyatt box but that's all.

I'm not quite convinced that shoving the bullet down to 2.820" would squeeze out any more room than the 243ai case starts out with but that was the general con census.

CC556
08-29-13, 09:10
What type of action/mag are you wanting to feed this from? A 700 (or similar) with a notched feedramp and AICS mags with the spacer removed will easily feed rounds ~2.980" long.

noliver
08-29-13, 09:14
CC556 thank you very much for that info. Just just helped me male up my mind!! And it is a Remington 700 308 action

CC556
08-29-13, 09:22
No problem. Here's a pic of an old rifle of mine. You can have a smith do this, or if you have a mill (or even a dremel, some skill, and maybe a few shots of whiskey) you can do it yourself. Basically the idea here is that you grab your AICS mag, take it apart, then carefully drill out the 2 spot welds that hold the spacer in place. Once that's done, fill in the holes so the bullet tips don't get hung up. At this point the mag is done, but since the mag can take the long rounds you'll have problems where the bullet tips will catch on the action's feed ramp if you were to try and use it without modifying the action. To solve that just mill out a little opening circled in red so the bullet tips will pass through. It's a super-common mod for guys who want to run longer rounds and some custom actions already come that way.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/90Z51/Guns/260%20Remington/DSC_30312.jpg

noliver
08-29-13, 09:28
I can't thank you enough for that info. Seems like an easy enough fix. Thanks again and the pic really helped. What caliber did you rig yours up for?

CC556
08-29-13, 09:31
I can't thank you enough for that info. Seems like an easy enough fix. Thanks again and the pic really helped. What caliber did you rig yours up for?

That one was set up to feed really long .260. Currently I'm shooting a 6XC as a match gun, and the rounds fit in un-modded AICS mags with tons of room to spare.

texasgunhand
08-29-13, 23:01
ive always liked lighter bullets in the 6mm..

noliver
08-30-13, 06:35
I figured the 95g vdl would be a good combo for med weight bullets that is still good enough for the small deer in south Georgia. Now I just have to figure out what length barrel. I don't want it so long it makes it hard to hunt with.