PDA

View Full Version : Testing of folders?

WillBrink
08-27-13, 14:01
Obviously, no matter how good the folder, one should not expect the strength a fixed blade will give them. However, there's been big improvements in folders in recent years with both materials and designs, yet I don't see any actual testing done.

Like just how much pressure does it take to break the locking mechanism on X folding knife? One can put a knife in it's strongest position and its weakest, and see how many lbs of pressure it takes for it to fail. I'd like to see a set of standardizes tests as to just how well one design holds up to testing vs another, and so forth.

Gun tests are common, sun glasses, watches, as is tests for a whole lotta stuff we use. Even seen many fixed knives tested. Yet, I don't know of a place that's tested various folders to different testing under tough conditions as to when and where it will fail.

I have always been curious that. Does such a web site, YT channel, manufacturer page, etc exist that's not a BS promo piece?

For example, a test of a Benchmade folder done by Benchmade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_uLO7hgQog

The spine test is a joke. Baby taps by cute girl? Hmmmk... I do like that they test the lock mechanism under load, but they do it at the strongest possible angle for the lock and don't tell you at what pressure it failed! Essentially worthless info in my book in terms of the above Qs. If you test the knife at it's weakest angle, does the blade snap, or does the bolt where the lock holds the blade snap, or does the handle deform, or something else?

If a lock blade is going to fail, it's most likely to do it at it's weakest position I'd expect, which is why knowing just how much loading and abuse it can take is good to know.

Campbell
08-29-13, 20:27
I was just thinking of this a few days ago...I was telling a friend that I had finally decided that my EDC didn't have to double as an entrenching tool. I got really tired of knives that could penetrate a car door, but sucked at cutting things.:help:

BTL BRN
08-30-13, 13:39
I can really only remember seeing Cold Steel's tests that they did (YouTube if I recall); but on the whole their tesets seemed to be a bit more flash than heat.

WillBrink
08-30-13, 13:50
I was just thinking of this a few days ago...I was telling a friend that I had finally decided that my EDC didn't have to double as an entrenching tool. I got really tired of knives that could penetrate a car door, but sucked at cutting things.:help:

Personally, I have yet to own a folder that didn't cut what I needed it to more or less. I have owned many I was unsure of where it's limits were and wished I knew prior to finding out the hard way, such as using it for that last ditch entrenching tool! :eek:

But seriously...

Regardless, there's all manner of claims made about how tough etc, etc X lock mechanism is, or Y handle and liner material used, and so forth and how tough they are and all that. Would be nice to see if they live up to those marketing claims similar to tests done on just about everything else we purchase.

I can tell you, someone starts FoldingKnivesTests.com and does a good job of it, they will be a busy site.

ra2bach
08-30-13, 14:29
I can really only remember seeing Cold Steel's tests that they did (YouTube if I recall); but on the whole their tesets seemed to be a bit more flash than heat.

here ya go!..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zd3Jg5Fdms

go to 3:10 to see a test of the locking strength...

Campbell
08-31-13, 19:27
Your right Will, that would be a very busy site. I like quality blades, but have struggled with EDC at times... I benched a Emerson Comm. and a Microtech socom for a Spy. military. The Spy. feels the most fragile, but cuts circles around the other two.

kest_01
08-31-13, 20:12
I don't know what the breaking point for the Axis lock system is, but I've been EDC'ing a 550 griptilian from benchmade since 2007 with no problems what so ever. Has handled all possible cutting and some minor prying since than without issue. I'd agree though that it'd be cool if someone took the time and money to put together a definitive guide to locking mechanisms strengths and weaknesses.

steyrman13
08-31-13, 20:17
I'm not sure of the limits, but the axis lock is supposed to be one of the strongest on the market. I also have a BM AFO II 9051 that has been through it all. I used it everyday to cut up boxes, used it cutting roofing shingles on a job, used it to chip away concrete, have pryed many times with it, used it for stripping wire, open cans, camping, carving, hammer, well you get the point...,.which it still has minus a little divot in the top side from two hot wires connecting at that point. Ill try and get some pics of this beast to post soon

steyrman13
09-25-13, 08:50
I finally got a chance to upload some pics. As you can see, it has seen its share of use.