PDA

View Full Version : New college freshman class. Too young to remember 9/11.

Belmont31R
08-27-13, 22:58
One of my professors made the point while talking about the NSA and spying because of 9/11.

'How many of you don't remember 9/11?'

About half the class raised their hands.

Damn.

jpmuscle
08-27-13, 23:04
One of my professors made the point while talking about the NSA and spying because of 9/11.

Damn.

Well, that's depressing.

Bravo pretty little liars the similar. :mad:

SteyrAUG
08-27-13, 23:51
How many of us who hadn't been born yet could still remember Pearl Harbor and D-Day? Since my early childhood not a single Dec. 7 went by without me "remembering" what day it was and what happened.

Koshinn
08-28-13, 00:00
Bravo pretty little liars the similar. :mad:

What do you mean? I'm confused.

jpmuscle
08-28-13, 00:16
What do you mean? I'm confused.

Just a dig at some of the crap being peddled on TV nowadays, insert it, American idol, that Cyrus chick twerking (?) on national television (I still don't know what the hell it is actually) which collectively has served to do nothing more than dumb down and eviscerate the critical thinking capacity of young Americans.

I weep for our nation going forward.

My post should have read "bravo pretty little liars and the similar".

ETA- for reference

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/27/miley-cyrus-twerking-cultural-appropriation

Honu
08-28-13, 00:23
THIS !

they do not remember cause they are never taught !

How many of us who hadn't been born yet could still remember Pearl Harbor and D-Day? Since my early childhood not a single Dec. 7 went by without me "remembering" what day it was and what happened.

bluejackets92fs
08-28-13, 00:27
I was relatively young when it happened. I was in 6th grade and can describe most of the day still. The rest of 6th grade is a blur.

THIS !

they do not remember cause they are never taught !

The question was "How many remember 9/11". Not how many of you know anything about 9/11. Do the math, new college freshman were probably in pre-school or kindergarten when it happened.

interfan
08-28-13, 00:43

Yes, Grandpa (1st Marine Division, 1941-1946) had me singing "Remember Pearl Harbor" from as far back as I can remember. Revisionist history where Pearl Harbor was somehow an "inside job" has misled the younger generation.

If you don't know the song, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suuN6bkYiug

fixit69
08-28-13, 01:04
Oh my dear God. Has it been forgotten that quickly?

Please don't let this be the norm. We must teach our own, I know this. But history? Recent history?

I am at a loss...

Raven Armament
08-28-13, 01:42
How many of us who hadn't been born yet could still remember Pearl Harbor and D-Day?
I remember neither day because I'm to young to have been there and experienced them. I have been taught what occurred on said days, though D Day has been also attributed to several other military operations exclusive of the invasion of Normandy.

Belmont31R
08-28-13, 01:57
Too young to remember means they weren't old enough on 9/11 for it to have sunk in and be a memory they have. I was a HS senior and the teachers kept the news on. An 18 year old would have been about 6 in 2001.

CodeRed30
08-28-13, 02:30
Remembering, literally? Or remembering as in being aware of the events/details of that day?

Because if it's the latter, then some parents need to revise some of their parenting skills.

Koshinn
08-28-13, 03:31
Too young to remember means they weren't old enough on 9/11 for it to have sunk in and be a memory they have. I was a HS senior and the teachers kept the news on. An 18 year old would have been about 6 in 2001.

I remember some of my more forward thinking teachers crying, not just about the loss of life, but the lives we were going to lose. I also had some classes cancelled that day.

And I remember when my mom woke me up to tell me (6 hr time difference), I somehow knew it was going to be another Vietnam. I told her, then went back to sleep. She reminded me of that years later when we were still in Afghanistan. And we still are.

Endur
08-28-13, 04:47
Just god damn sad really.

I was in 7th grade and remember just about everything I did that day like it was yesterday. I can never and will never forget.

austinN4
08-28-13, 05:36
.........., I somehow knew it was going to be another Vietnam.
Speaking of which..........

Forget college freshmen, how many here on M4C even remember Vietnam? I don't mean having been taught about it, I mean really remembering it thru experience, thru loved ones and friends or watched it unfold on TV? My guess is a minority of M4C members.

The NVA took Siagon in 1975. That is 38 years ago.

montanadave
08-28-13, 06:16
Hell, I remember watching the news when JFK was assassinated.

As for 9/11. Yeah, I watched the whole thing. And, while it's important to remember, perhaps the greater lesson to be learned is in what we have done to ourselves in the years since. This country could easily have survived the damage inflicted by those bastards on 9/11. Whether we survive the self-inflicted "death by a thousand cuts" after the fact remains to be seen.

"We have met the enemy and he is us."

Voodoo_Man
08-28-13, 06:16
This is an opportunity to educate and explain to the younger generation what happened, why it was important and what needs to be done in order for it to never happen again.

Koshinn
08-28-13, 06:46
This is an opportunity to educate and explain to the younger generation what happened, why it was important and what needs to be done in order for it to never happen again.

What needs to be done in order for it to never happen again?

Voodoo_Man
08-28-13, 06:49
What needs to be done in order for it to never happen again?

That was not meant literally, you use that to get them thinking.

austinN4
08-28-13, 08:28
Hell, I remember watching the news when JFK was assassinated.
So do I, but that is because we are old farts. I even remember Korean war news.

BIGUGLY
08-28-13, 09:19
Pretty sad, but it just shows how quickly people forget and don't pass on our own history.

I remember because I was a senior in high school, just got out of weight lifting and into my first class for the day. Watched the whole thing while sitting on the counter in the physics lab. I remember the principal coming over the intercom and directing teachers to turn off the news.

Our teacher didn't, he looked around, he was old enough to remember the Vietnam draft. Since most in this class was 17 and 18 year old kids he flat out said we will watch this because this will lead to war and you gentleman may be part of it. He was a wise man and still has my respect to this day.

That was a sad day.

Raven Armament
08-28-13, 09:26
I was 20yo working in a gun department at a sporting goods store. Literally sold every gun in stock that day.

SteveS
08-30-13, 12:35
I remember my reaction. It was no wonder Bill Clinton turned down office space in that building.

SteyrAUG
08-30-13, 12:42
I remember neither day because I'm to young to have been there and experienced them. I have been taught what occurred on said days, though D Day has been also attributed to several other military operations exclusive of the invasion of Normandy.

Yet you can remember the day because you are aware of what you were taught.

Miami_JBT
08-30-13, 14:20
Senior year of high school. I will never forget. As for Vietnam, Korea, D-Day I also never forget.

America is at the mall while the US Armed Forces are at war.

SteyrAUG
08-30-13, 15:44

I think some of us are having a semantics problem. Of course we understand that a person who was only 6 years old on that day might not have "I was there" memories.

But I don't think you'd find any college freshman in 1953 who would say he didn't "remember" Pearl Harbor. The context of the word "remember" in this instance should be obvious to everyone.

That said, I can literally remember quite a few things from when I was 6 and before. I was about that age when Nixon resigned and I remember watching that on TV. I was even younger and I remember watching the last Apollo launch. I also remember watching the 1972 Munich Olympics on TV and my father trying to explain the terrorist attack to me.

GeorgiaBoy
08-30-13, 15:50
I remember. I was 8. Walked into the kitchen after school and the little TV we had in there showed the towers falling. Still remember that exact moment, though at the time it meant nothing to me.

You would be hard pressed to walk around a college campus and find someone who doesn't know what 9/11 is.

montanadave
08-30-13, 17:34
America is at the mall while the US Armed Forces are at war.

Actually, then-President Bush told America to go to Disney World:

"When they [9/11 terrorists] struck, they wanted to create an atmosphere of fear. And one of the great goals of this nation's war is to restore public confidence in the airline industry. It's to tell the traveling public: Get on board. Do your business around the country. Fly and enjoy America's great destination spots. Get down to Disney World in Florida. Take your families and enjoy life, the way we want it to be enjoyed." (http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010927-1.html)

Belmont31R
08-30-13, 18:04
I served around the time he said that, and I think that's why we have a military. So our citizens don't have to endure war here. If you want to hang out at the mall you don't have to join. Nothing wrong with it, either, and in some respects has advantages over military service like being able to jump into higher education immediately after HS.

domestique
08-31-13, 01:33

Damn.

Remember the Alamo, Remember the Maine, Remember Pearl Harbor….. all these battle cries eventually get lost in the sands of time.

Sad, but true.

BrigandTwoFour
08-31-13, 09:14
I was on the second week of my senior hear of high school. I do recall that it was the two Vietnam vets that were the most calm and thoughtful during the events, explaining the greater context.

I started my application to the Air Force Academy and AFROTC scholarships the next week (the latter of which worked out pretty well).

As a technical instructor now, I have young 2LTs coming through who have only the vaguest memory of that day, but they know it was important. Unlike most of our commanders, these folks raised their right hand knowing we were already at war and that they would be sent to fight it. And even though many of them don't know what to do with a 3.5" floppy disk, they have proven to be intelligent and capable.

Magic_Salad0892
08-31-13, 09:53

God. I remember running full speed to my brother's school on 9/11 to get him out early. He was 7. We walked in the house just in time to see the second plane hit. Live.

I'll never get that image out of my head. I must've been like 14.

xjustintimex
08-31-13, 09:57

Damn.

yea I had the exact same thing happen. At 24 I was in the 6th grade during 9/11, so current freshman were pretty small.

Miami_JBT
08-31-13, 11:34
I served around the time he said that, and I think that's why we have a military. So our citizens don't have to endure war here. If you want to hang out at the mall you don't have to join. Nothing wrong with it, either, and in some respects has advantages over military service like being able to jump into higher education immediately after HS.

I enlisted out of high school in June 2002. Trust me, I remember and was there in it. I have little faith in the majority of my generation. The majority sit on their butts at their folks' home doing. I stepped up, did my part, came home, became a productive member of society, and now a home owner and a husband. The folks I knew in high school are still doing exactly what they did ten years ago. Nothing.

SteyrAUG
08-31-13, 13:10
God. I remember running full speed to my brother's school on 9/11 to get him out early. He was 7. We walked in the house just in time to see the second plane hit. Live.

I'll never get that image out of my head. I must've been like 14.

Must have been a profound and stressful event to be responsible for your younger brother like that (even if he wasn't in imminent danger) at that age.

Magic_Salad0892
08-31-13, 13:30
Must have been a profound and stressful event to be responsible for your younger brother like that (even if he wasn't in imminent danger) at that age.

I'd raised him since I was 11, him 3. Our mom was always at work, and our dads weren't around. It killed me to move away, but it was for the better.

I just remember thinking that if they could crash planes into one of the WTC towers (I don't think the pentagon had been hit yet, and the other tower hadn't yet) that nothing was safe. I just had to get home, and get my brother home.

I still don't know exactly what made me panic so hard that day.

SteyrAUG
08-31-13, 14:43
I still don't know exactly what made me panic so hard that day.

You were 14 and doing what your 14 year old brain came up with as the best option. The important thing is your motivations were correct.

I won't even get into some the of silly shit I did that day and the days that followed.

trio
09-01-13, 06:10
Speaking of which..........

Forget college freshmen, how many here on M4C even remember Vietnam? I don't mean having been taught about it, I mean really remembering it thru experience, thru loved ones and friends or watched it unfold on TV? My guess is a minority of M4C members.

The NVA took Siagon in 1975. That is 38 years ago.

One of my earliest memories was of my father being very, very angry...which was way out of the norm for him...he was about as even keeled as they came, even when he was dying....I couldn't remember why or when, just the anger....

Years later I asked he and my mom about it, and they told me it was the day Saigon fell....I was barely 2...and I don't remember where we were, or what we were doing, just the anger from my Dad....

I would imagine if you got into it more with the individuals their memories of 9/11 would be similar...they don't remember the day, specifically, but likely remember the emotions and reactions from people close to them...parents,siblings, etc....memory doesn't work the same when you are 6 as it does when you are 18

My oldest son was in utero on 9/11...he will be 12 on January...hard to believe

feedramp
09-01-13, 06:37
Being too young to have witnessed it could be a mixed bag, really. On one hand, sure, they didn't witness the mass slaughter of innocents on our soil, but they can see that happening today in Syria at the hands of the rebels via video websites like LiveLeak, and understand that keeping such things from happening, or at least keeping them across the pond, is a good thing. So it's not clear anything is lost on this hand. There will always be gruesome and heinous crimes being committed by certain types of people.

On the other hand, being too young to have witnessed it also insulates them a bit from the emotional attachment to the event, so they aren't as likely to agree to having their rights stripped away by some politician intoning about 9/11 as if it justifies unConstitutional legislation.

CGSteve
09-02-13, 03:17
I was 22. I remember where I was, what I did, and how I felt. Though not old, sometimes I do feel that way when made to think about it, such as this thread topic.