PDA

View Full Version : Introducing someone to AR's the right way!

Doc Safari
08-28-13, 14:08
I'm proud to report that I was able to get my girlfriend to buy a Colt LE6920 instead of some piece of junk DPMS or something. I was so proud of her I raided my spare parts to outfit her M4 with a Surefire G2 in a Vltor mount with Midwest Industries front sight mount, and I sold her one of my Aimpoint T1's for half price even though it was "like new." I also installed a Vickers Tactical VCAS sling (which she loves).

I told her, "You got your AR about the best it can be in one day. Most people take months or years to do that. Some people don't ever get the best."

Now she can't stop shooting it and likes it more than any of her other firearms.

I'm glad she's ready for zombies or any other vermin and I can sleep nights knowing her weapon and accessories represent "the best" just like mine!

:D

Moltke
08-28-13, 15:13
Wow that's great. My wife shoots her 10/22 well, but is afraid of the big black guns.

flipnidaho
08-28-13, 15:14
After firing my AR, she now invites me to go shooting. An AR maybe in her future (and she likes the burnt bronze and black combination).

jpmuscle
08-28-13, 15:29
Pics or it didn't happen :D

Seriously tho, she sounds like a keeper.

theizzardking
08-28-13, 15:46
my wife really only likes her AR as far as rifles go, it's not "the best" but she enjoys it.

The_War_Wagon
08-28-13, 16:54
Can you introduce MY wife to a 6920? I've only been trying for 19 years... :o

Duffy
08-28-13, 17:12
Can't believe you sold her the Aimpoint, I would have given it to my girlfriend (now wife) :D

Ryno12
08-28-13, 17:21
Can't believe you sold her the Aimpoint, I would have given it to my girlfriend (now wife) :D

That was the first thing I thought of...

"Wow, those two must really be 'in like'!" :p

Sent via Tapatalk

Doc Safari

Cut me some slack. :D

I've only known her two months.

I made a deal with her that if she bought the Colt I'd outfit her rifle with enough ammo and accessories to get started. That Aimpoint was something I needed for my own kit and just hadn't done any more than sight it in.

EDITED TO ADD: She kept insisting on paying me full price, so half price was a way to end the argument.

I gave her a Surefire G2, a Vltor mount, a Midwest Industries front sight mount, a Blue Force Gear VCAS sling, about 30-some-odd USGI mags from my prepper stash (including ammo can), and some ammo to try it out with.

Tooth & Nail
I purchased a set of the MagPul MOE gear in pink for my wife. I lost a rifle, but I gained a shooting partner and a major reprieve from spending scrutiny. Perhaps the best $100 I've ever spent on this hobby!

Suwannee Tim
08-28-13, 17:29
I taught my wife-to-be to shoot a 10-22 which she quickly became bored with. I graduated her to a bolt action 30-06 which she took to quite nicely. I haven't really been able to get her to warm to the AR. Maybe she'll like the SCAR better.

dash1
08-28-13, 17:44
I taught my wife-to-be to shoot a 10-22 which she quickly became bored with. I graduated her to a bolt action 30-06 which she took to quite nicely. I haven't really been able to get her to warm to the AR. Maybe she'll like the SCAR better.

Chicks dig scars.

SilverBullet432
08-28-13, 18:59
I want to teach my gf to shoot my ar and sks. Shes only shot my 22 so far

Zane1844
08-28-13, 19:11
I cant wait to take my girlfriend shooting when she moves in with me after school in New Jersey, or comes to WI for visits when I move there soon. :)

I should introduce her to shooting like my friend did with his girlfriend: 12 gauge "Magnum" slugs. :D

Suwannee Tim
08-28-13, 19:45
Chicks dig scars.

I never thought of it that way. Thanks!

03scgt
08-28-13, 20:04
You should go ahead and buy her a ring now.she might turn out to be crazy but at least you aren't marrying a diane feinstein

QuackXP
08-28-13, 20:25
My very soon to be wife shot my 6920 for the first time last weekend after stepping up from my bolt action Marlin Model 25 .22LR. I wish I was recording the first shot to catch the smile on her face.

Free Agent
08-28-13, 20:45
I started mine out with a 15-22 and after she was comfortable and proficient with that she started shooting my BCM. She loved it so much she wanted one of her own. Now she has a LW BCM. It's cool having a significant other that shares in the hobby.

TBomb
08-28-13, 21:17
Never mind...

Malig8r
08-28-13, 21:25

I thought the exact same thing! However, since you explained that the relationship is still fairly new I totally understand your position.

thehun
08-29-13, 00:07
My wife rocks my AK...she loves that gun...its always nice to have the other half into shooting

Doc Safari
08-29-13, 09:08
You should go ahead and buy her a ring now.she might turn out to be crazy but at least you aren't marrying a diane feinstein

If you're talking to me I should point out she's been married more than once, so I'm proceeding with caution.

However, the latest accessory I've given her for her rifle is a BCM Gunfighter medium latch charging handle.

We also spent some time building an FLC vest with mag pouches. She's so thin she didn't need to adjust it as it came out of the package!

08-29-13, 09:26
Could be worse, my wife came across Duracoat's "Girls love guns" line, I now have a purple shimmer AR sitting in the safe.

Boba Fett v2
08-29-13, 12:52
and I sold her one of my Aimpoint T1's for half price even though it was "like new." :D

I think a more tasteful way to approach this would be to let her "borrow" it indefinitely or just let her have it. When it comes time for you to acquire a piece of equipment she could return the favor and you'd have a new expensive gift.

Doc Safari
08-29-13, 12:57
I think a more tasteful way to approach this would be to let her "borrow" it indefinitely or just let her have it. When it comes time for you to acquire a piece of equipment she could return the favor and you'd have a new expensive gift.

So this is going to turn into an evaluation on how I deal with women?

ENOUGH ALREADY!

I had already given her a buttload of other stuff and you weren't there for the conversation where she kept insisting on paying me full price for the Aimpoint. Half price was the compromise that let us move on to other things.

Now NO MORE ON THIS!

Boba Fett v2
08-29-13, 13:18
So this is going to turn into an evaluation on how I deal with women?

ENOUGH ALREADY!

I had already given her a buttload of other stuff and you weren't there for the conversation where she kept insisting on paying me full price for the Aimpoint. Half price was the compromise that let us move on to other things.

Now NO MORE ON THIS!

To each his own, Doc. No need to get your panties in a bunch. You air your personal shit over the internet you should expect to get some critical feedback whether you like it or not. You can have your thread back.

Doc Safari
08-29-13, 13:31
To each his own, Doc. No need to get your panties in a bunch. You air your personal shit over the internet you should expect to get some critical feedback whether you like it or not. You can have your thread back.

No offense, I just left out a lot of unnecessary details because I thought the important thing was getting someone into quality AR's and not to go into a boring play-by-play description of how I came to sell it to her instead of giving it to her.

Truth be told, I offered to give her the Aimpoint on a bet: I installed the rifle on her gun and told her, "If you hit the target on the first shot, it's yours." She hit the target the first time.

This led to a discussion on how the T1 must be pretty expensive, how she didn't think I should just give it away, how it's one I used a couple of times on my weapon and then put it away in my prepper stash, etc.

Long story short: I DID offer to give it to her, and after about a half hour of what I thought was needless arguing on letting or not letting her pay me for it, I gave in and compromised that she could pay me half of what I paid seeing it was brand new.

She's happy. I'm happy.

I've only known her two months and I've given her plenty of other little "gifts" so this was her way of not feeling guilty about it I guess.

So now you guys know the boring details that I left out to begin with.

That should be the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

Grand58742
08-29-13, 14:41
The last girlfriend took out my BCM LW middy with a Aimpoint T1 at the range once. Next thing she asked:

"Got mine, now where's yours?"

Almost fell in love at the gun store the other day. Lady sales clerk had stopped by as I was browsing and started talking guns. I was checking out the HK45 they had and discussing the attributes of said pistol. She says:

"Yeah, nice and all, but huge in the hands. It's really hard to beat a 1911. It's what I keep in my nightstand. Wilson Combat is the way to go."

Didn't even know her name, but almost proposed to her on the spot. Pretty expensive tastes though lol.

Doc Safari
08-29-13, 14:48
The last girlfriend took out my BCM LW middy with a Aimpoint T1 at the range once. Next thing she asked:

"Got mine, now where's yours?"

LOL. Funny story and all-too true.

Since you guys don't know my girlfriend, maybe I should point out that I wanted to avoid even the appearance of giving goodies as some sort of "bribe" for sexual favors. She's lectured me on how past boyfriends have treated her so that's a consideration at all times.

Back on topic, I'm planning to give her some ongoing training on the proper technique for shooting her weapon, the proper use of her light in a dark house if she hears that noise in the night, and whatnot.

She's also interested in getting a .22-caliber AR for her 9-year-old daughter to shoot, so we plan to attend a gun show this weekend so I can coach her to get a Smith M&P 15-22 or something else appropriate. We may just end up with a Ruger Mark II pistol or something.

Hart
08-29-13, 18:21
Careful, she might just.......

go shoot it without you. :blink:

Grand58742
08-29-13, 18:30
Careful, she might just.......

go shoot it without you. :blink:

It's only wrong if she uses your ammo and takes your truck with your dog. :D

_Stormin_
08-29-13, 21:16
Could be worse, my wife came across Duracoat's "Girls love guns" line, I now have a purple shimmer AR sitting in the safe.

Building a "bling" AR for my fiancé... Worth it as long as she's willing to put rounds through it.

TBomb
08-29-13, 21:30
LOL. Funny story and all-too true.

Since you guys don't know my girlfriend, maybe I should point out that I wanted to avoid even the appearance of giving goodies as some sort of "bribe" for sexual favors. She's lectured me on how past boyfriends have treated her so that's a consideration at all times.

Back on topic, I'm planning to give her some ongoing training on the proper technique for shooting her weapon, the proper use of her light in a dark house if she hears that noise in the night, and whatnot.

She's also interested in getting a .22-caliber AR for her 9-year-old daughter to shoot, so we plan to attend a gun show this weekend so I can coach her to get a Smith M&P 15-22 or something else appropriate. We may just end up with a Ruger Mark II pistol or something.

Sorry sir, I certainly joked about just such a bribe, and in poor taste. Glad you have found someone that shares your enjoyment of firearms and wants to learn about them the right way. Try not to pay too much attention to us knuckleheads around here.

SilentType
08-29-13, 22:23
It can be very, very intimidating for women to enter the firearms world. I think we men take it for granted that for most of us we've had a life time to acclimate to firearms.

My wife finally wants an M&P 15-22 after a long time of not wanting anything to do with firearms.

TBomb
08-29-13, 22:30
It can be very, very intimidating for women to enter the firearms world. I think we men take it for granted that for most of us we've had a life time to acclimate to firearms.

My wife finally wants an M&P 15-22 after a long time of not wanting anything to do with firearms.

Absolutely. My wife doesn't want much of anything to do with guns, and just having one out around her can make her uncomfortable. She just didn't grow up around them so they intimidate and I think even scare her a little bit. She did express some interest in learning how to shoot one of my pistols when a rapist was on the loose terrorizing our neighborhood. He has long since been caught, and her interest has faded, but with work requiring me to start traveling soon, I would certainly feel a lot better knowing she knew how to safely and effectively handle a firearm in our home. It's tough for me to express my desire for her to learn because I don't want to scare her into it my insinuating that she might not be safe without me there, but I also would hate to think about something happening to her without me there to protect her. Making sure she is able to protect herself in my absence is a big deal to me, I'm just not sure what the best way is to approach it that will not do more harm than good. It's a touchy subject for us for sure.

Wake27
08-29-13, 23:29
After firing my AR, she now invites me to go shooting. An AR maybe in her future (and she likes the burnt bronze and black combination).

Nice.

My fiancé enjoys the 15-22. I'm hoping I can get her into the AR with the right LW setup.

Scotter260
08-30-13, 01:40
I didn't really buy my wife a carbine per se, I just have a 6720 set up like my other ARs - DD 1.5, sling and light provision - in case she needs one. She qualifies annually for work on a Ruger P-Series 9mm DAO, shotgun, and M-16 (although the 16 may have been dropped in recent years) and is regularly one of the highest overall shooters.

She does extremely well and is quite comfortable considering she only shoots annually. I'd love to take her to the range regularly but she's VERY thrifty, thankfully in all regards, and just sees money going downrange. I can't imagine what she'd do if I tried to take a training class with her (she'd have an aneurism if I tried to take one by myself) or equip her with a PC and related gear - Uff-Da!

Congrats to you fellas with ladies interested in the topic AND don't calculate everything in "hours-worked".

Dist. Expert 26
08-30-13, 08:47
My girlfriend lives by herself (until I get out), and her house isn't in the best neighborhood ever so I was really relieved when she agreed to keep my pistols in her nightstand. Now she's talking about buying some guns of her own, and maybe building and AR at some point :D

Doc Safari
08-30-13, 09:04
Sorry sir, I certainly joked about just such a bribe, and in poor taste. Glad you have found someone that shares your enjoyment of firearms and wants to learn about them the right way. Try not to pay too much attention to us knuckleheads around here.

No harm. No foul. I'm just surprised at people who read a few lines on a forum and think they understand a whole relationship--LOL.

I want this thread to be about introducing new people to AR's by showing them the good equipment, thereby helping them avoid months or years of frustration and thousands of dollars dealing with crappy stuff.

I wish someone had taken me under their wing and showed me the best stuff to buy.

I guess this forum is the closest thing I have to that. :happy:

Donut
08-30-13, 11:54
I'm trying with my girlfriend, and she's enthusiastic, but doesn't like to buy ammo. Our shooting (together) has slowed down dramatically, since she blew through the stash of ammo I gave her.

When it comes to ARs she has champagne tastes on zero budget (won't spend a dime on a rifle). I've told her all she needs to buy is a barrel and bolt carrier group (the only spares I can't spare) but alas, no dice. The compromise is, she buys her ammo, and she can use any of my rifles she wants.

We had a small "hiccup" though, recently. We had a power outage after dark thanks to a good storm, and she wasn't happy about the shotgun being taken out of the safe and leaned up against the wall. When I asked why, it was because, "You can see the bullets. That's scary." (In reference to the six shells in the side saddle.) Two steps forward, one step back, I guess...

NYH1
08-31-13, 00:04
Hey Doc, glad to see you got your girl friend headed in the right direction. It's nice when someone helps you out. Whether they steer you in the right direction or get you some nice gear.

My wife bought me a Colt MT6400 (post-ban compliant version of the LE6920) for Christmas and my birthday last year. I got the Aimpoint PRO and all the other things that I wanted to put on it. But her getting me the rifle was amazing, best gift I ever got!

Great job my friend, NYH1!

SilentType
08-31-13, 17:15
Absolutely. My wife doesn't want much of anything to do with guns, and just having one out around her can make her uncomfortable.

For people like our wives (I'm sure there are guys that way as well) it's definitely as much, if not more, about acclimation as instruction in technique isn't it?

Now she's invested in it and we are finally making slow, but steady progress. The challenge now is that she gets fatigued easily. The weight of the Glock 19 with even just five rounds does start to show and I have to keep that in mind that she just can't go as long as I can on the range at the same level of freshness.

We really do need more female firearms instructors. It's an area overwhelmingly dominated by men and honestly we just don't understand the female shooter as well as we might think we do. In my State though there are no well known female instructors, very few women shooting competitively and I would love to see that change.

Donut
08-31-13, 22:23
When it comes to ARs she has champagne tastes on zero budget (won't spend a dime on a rifle). I've told her all she needs to buy is a barrel and bolt carrier group (the only spares I can't spare) but alas, no dice. The compromise is, she buys her ammo, and she can use any of my rifles she wants.

Hot damn! I spoke too soon. I just talked her into picking up a billet lower.

Abraham
09-01-13, 11:06
My wife and two Granddaughters all shoot with me. Up to now a variety of pistols, but soon they'll be shooting my LE6920. Why soon? Because here in Texas it's miserably hot right now. Last time I shot my AR I was sweating buckets and that's just no fun.

My wife has her own G19 with a grip reduction for her small hands.

We're also deciding whether she wants the spare LE6920 I bought, just because...