PDA

View Full Version : Rock Solid Stock: Initial Impressions

Blanman
08-29-13, 12:37
Rock Solid Stock Review (http://www.sincityprecision.com/?p=1918)

If you click the link it will take you to the original where you can view the pictures.

Rock Solid Stock: Initial Impressions

To start things off, I just have to say that communication with Todd Reynolds (the owner of Rock Solid Stocks) is far and away one of the best experiences I’ve had with a firearms related company. He responded to all of my emails extremely quickly and even on weekends! Simply put, I was blown away with the service I was provided. Now, on to the stuff you’re all waiting for!

When I first received the stock, I immediately noticed how well thought out this stock is. The entire body is a single piece of aluminum. The only bolts on this chassis are for the pistol grip, buttstock spacers, cheekpiece adjustment, action screws (duh), and if you mount a night vision rail. With the lack of screws needed to hold the stock together, you get an extremely rigid stock that has no chance of getting loose due to screws working loose. I can see why it’s called Rock Solid…

You can use whatever AR-compatible pistol grip you would like, it simply bolts right in. I went with the ERGO grip. The stock also comes with two small adhesive backed grippy pieces. I really liked the idea of these. You can place them alongside where you place your thumb (if you don’t wrap your thumb around the pistol grip) to use as a reference point to place your hand the same way each time you get behind the rifle. Consistency is accuracy! It’s the same material that lines the fore end of the stock, which I had always thought was some kind of grip-tape similar to what’s on a skateboard, but it turns out that it’s not the same. It’s not abrasive at all and still enables you to get a good grip along the side of the stock.

The Length of Pull (LOP) is adjusted by using the spacers provided with the stock. Upon examining the recoil pad, the little girl in me thought that it might be a little hard/stiff, but it turned out to be a non-issue and was still comfortable to shoot. Although the fact that I shoot a braked 6.5 Creedmoor really negates any recoil from a cartridge that already doesn’t have much kick.. I’ll have to see how it does with some stronger calibers.

The stock also has a very thin profile which shows its benefits when moving in and out of barricades and various props, as well as carrying slung and shooting support side. It was extremely easy for me to switch over to my support side for shots, it seemed to just fall right into place. Being able to switch over to support side so quickly and easily is huge for me due to the ever-increasing sadistic nature of certain stages in competitions. The thin cheek piece plays a part in this as well I believe. It’s adjustable and features slots in the supporting posts so that you can place e-clips (which are conveniently provided) to keep your exact cheekweld between taking it on and off for any bore-sighting or cleaning one might do. I would recommend getting some sort of cover for the cheek piece though, be it moleskin or a dedicated cheekpiece cover. I already had a stock pack from my former Mcree stock that I was able to make fit with the addition of some extra velcro.

With the stock being an aluminum chassis, it eliminates the need for bedding the action. The area for the recoil lug is large enough for accommodating even the fattest of recoil lugs. Mr. Reynolds has also left the lug area spacious enough for anybody that might want to bed their recoil lug. The barrel channel is fully free-floated and will fit any size barrel with ease, so there’s no need to worry about whether or not your fat barrel will fit.

Since flush cups are becoming ever more popular, there are some placed on both sides and the bottom of the fore-end, as well as on the sides of the buttstock for carrying the rifle while slung. There is also a stud on the bottom that you can mount your Harris bipod to, or you can have a picatinny rail mounted to the bottom for the Atlas bipod. Shooting in any slung position is a breeze with this stock. This is where the side grips come into play and enhance your grip on the stock through recoil.

One of the things that I really liked about this stock is the magazine well. It’s designed to have a 5 round AICS magazine sit flush with the bottom, which is something that I liked a lot. If you find yourself shooting on one of the many different kinds of barricades, you can push into the front of the magazine well without having to worry about any unwanted pressure on your loaded magazine since it’s protected. The magazine well has the perfect amount of clearance for the magazine to slide in as well. A fully loaded 10 round magazine fits smoothly with absolutely no resistance, something that I can’t say for some other stocks I’ve played with. The magazine release is easy to access, but doesn’t stick out too far either and drops the magazine quickly and efficiently for a quick reload.

In summary, I am very pleased with the way this stock has performed this past month or so that I have ran it and I plan on using it in my upcoming matches! With the base price of the stock coming in at $750, it’s an affordable option for your Remington 700 (or actions with a similar footprint. Other inlets coming soon!) without having to deal with bedding the action, or inletting your stock for a costly bottom metal. I implore that you take a serious look at Rock Solid Stocks! You won’t be disappointed!

SeriousStudent
08-29-13, 20:53
Blanman, if you have an industry affiliation, it needs to be disclosed in your sigline, per forum rules.

https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

Blanman
08-30-13, 00:18
It's done

SeriousStudent
08-30-13, 00:34
Much appreciated.

Blanman
09-22-13, 02:06
Forgot to update, used this stock/rifle combo the other weekend in the Utah State Sniper Shoot and even though I blew half the first day out my ass I still wound up with 7th place out of about 45 shooters! The stock was very easy to maneuver through the stages and shooting from odd positions was a breeze with the flat, narrow fore-end, and being able to jam the magazine well against some of the barricades without putting any undue pressure on the mag helped! I'm glad I now own this stock! I know someone was there taking pictures and said they would post them but I haven't been able to find any of them yet, but when I do I'll be sure to throw some of them up on here for you guys.