PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Gas Blocks Under Midwest FF 15" Rail

Renty
08-29-13, 13:34
I'm looking at putting together a new build with either a 18" or 20" barrel (leaning towards 20") and a 15" rail over a rifle-length gas system. I've been looking at the Midwest Industries free float rail (SS12G2), but I also would like an adjustable gas block on this build so I can tune the rifle to my loads (I won't be using a suppressor or anything, but I'm sick of dealing with over gassed rifles). It looks like the ID of the rail is 1.3" and I can't for the life of me find an adjustable block that looks like it will clear it.

My question is, has anyone found an adjustable block that fits under this rail? I'm not to picky about how it mounts. Thanks!

VIP3R 237
08-29-13, 13:44
Parallax Tactical makes one of the slimmest adjustable gas blocks.

.950 side to side. 1.43 height so it should fit.

Clint
08-29-13, 14:47
Hi Renty,

Welcome to M4C.

What barrels are you looking at?

How do you know they're overgassed?

Renty
08-29-13, 15:23
What barrels are you looking at?

How do you know they're overgassed?

Thanks for the welcome! Been browsing a long time and didn't realize this was my first post.

I haven't settled on a specific barrel yet (looks like most vendors are out of stock, but have been looking at 1:7-1:8 twist 18-20" barrels with 223 wylde chambers at WOA, Rainier, and BCM. My price range is around $300). I have no reason to believe any of these would be overgassed, but I've have had issues in the past with overgassed AR's and would like the flexibility to adjust it without having to change out buffers, etc. I figure if I'm going to build this rifle I might as well get it as flexible as possible as I'm planning on using it for a number of different things. An adjustable block would let me open it up a bit when plinking, and then dial it down when shooting heavy loads at long range or when hunting. I probably don't NEED an adjustable block, but I want one ;).

The rifle will be primarily used mostly for target shooting from 200-300 yards with 600 yard matches every other month. I'll also be using it for small game hunting (coyotes, hogs, etc) and maybe 3-gun matches. My desire to have the 15" rail is for flexibility on mounting a bipod, a longer sight radius for an offset BUIS, and the ability to mount a light closer to the muzzle for hunting at night. I should probably build two rifles or a second upper, but only have the funds for "just one more" right now.

03scgt
08-29-13, 16:23
The barrels you are looking at are from some very reputable companies.Truthfully they should all be perfectly gassed and id probably just grab a normal low pro gas block and not deal with fitment worries.Switch buffers if you want something a little smoother