PDA

View Full Version : School me on my Maadi

jhard93
08-30-13, 03:14
hey all, I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about my new Maadi based on some of it's markings.
I haven't got to see it in person yet, so I can't comment too much on fit/finish.:(

Any good/bad things you guys notice? I'm quite new to AKs

I noticed the little gap where the stock meets the receiver, but that doesn't bother me since I'll be putting a folder on it later anyway.

Thanks!

jhard93
08-30-13, 05:04
the silence is deafening

halmbarte
08-30-13, 10:57
The 'other assault rifles' forum is not the most active here.

It's based on a Egyptian AK, using tooling provided by the Sov when they were buddies with the Egyptians.

That gap is supposed to be there. Other than that, it's an AK and will be reliable but not all that accurate. If you shoot corrosive ammo, clean it.

H

7.62WildBill
08-30-13, 11:32
I am assuming that your Maadi is one if the recently built gund that Atlantic is selling with the Arabic markings built on a US receiver with a US barrel. Not as desirable or valuable as an Egyptian built Maadi. I have not heard much on the quality of these guns, most likely due to their "newness" to the market. I have seen some reports of no selector notches, but cannot tell from the pics if your gun has them.

RMiller
08-30-13, 11:35
The 'other assault rifles' forum is not the most active here.

It's based on a Egyptian AK, using tooling provided by the Sov when they were buddies with the Egyptians.

That gap is supposed to be there. Other than that, it's an AK and will be reliable but not all that accurate. If you shoot corrosive ammo, clean it.

H

Some mis information.... But mostly spot on.

AK's aren't as inaccurate as characterized, especially with a foreign barrel. But for the most part Maadi's are good AK's.

SteyrAUG
08-30-13, 16:59
I am assuming that your Maadi is one if the recently built gund that Atlantic is selling with the Arabic markings built on a US receiver with a US barrel. Not as desirable or valuable as an Egyptian built Maadi. I have not heard much on the quality of these guns, most likely due to their "newness" to the market. I have seen some reports of no selector notches, but cannot tell from the pics if your gun has them.

Looks like a Egyptian Maadi build by Interarms of Houston with Elk River receiver, probably using a Green Mountain barrel.

jhard93
08-31-13, 06:20
this one isn't from atlantic. A good friend of mine that builds AKs and does Saiga conversions for people built it. I told him not to worry about finish, because I abuse the hell out of my weapons :happy: and to keep cost down a little bit.
What's the barrel life on Green Mountain barrels?

I'm not gonna be using it as a bump fire toy, it's going to carbine courses though.

What about the Arabic on the RSB? Or those markings on the back of the dust cover?

It looks like he filled some of it in with white crayon or something to make it easier to read.

halmbarte
08-31-13, 08:17
Barrel hardchromed?

7.62x39 isn't a barrel burner like 556. You'll get tens of thousands of rounds out of it. Just don't hork up the crown and you'll be fine.

If you have a standard AK rear sight all the way back is 300m battlesight. 1 notch forward of that is 100m and then +100m each notch away from you for the rest.

Dunno about the markings on the receiver. Probably Arabic for 'Small End Towards Enemy' or serial number. Dust covers and a lot of other AK small parts are fitted to that rifle.

H

jhard93
08-31-13, 20:18
Barrel hardchromed?

7.62x39 isn't a barrel burner like 556. You'll get tens of thousands of rounds out of it. Just don't hork up the crown and you'll be fine.

If you have a standard AK rear sight all the way back is 300m battlesight. 1 notch forward of that is 100m and then +100m each notch away from you for the rest.

Dunno about the markings on the receiver. Probably Arabic for 'Small End Towards Enemy' or serial number. Dust covers and a lot of other AK small parts are fitted to that rifle.

H
Thanks! it was recommended that when I zero it, to place the rear sight at 200m, zero at 25, then place the rear sight at the 100m setting and confirm at 100, then return it to the battlesight setting.

Is this accurate? I may be remembering incorrectly

SteyrAUG
08-31-13, 20:32
this one isn't from atlantic. A good friend of mine that builds AKs and does Saiga conversions for people built it. I told him not to worry about finish, because I abuse the hell out of my weapons :happy: and to keep cost down a little bit.
What's the barrel life on Green Mountain barrels?

I'm not gonna be using it as a bump fire toy, it's going to carbine courses though.

What about the Arabic on the RSB? Or those markings on the back of the dust cover?

It looks like he filled some of it in with white crayon or something to make it easier to read.

US made AK barrels, especially Green Mountain don't have a great reputation when it comes to accuracy. They are somewhat infamous for their 5.45 AKs keyholing targets.

The arabic markings are common on Egyptian parts kits, they really don't add to the value or detract if they aren't there.

Was hard to tell from the pics, what receiver did your friend use? I'm curious why it's marked "Interarms, Houston TX" if they didn't do the build.

jhard93
08-31-13, 20:37
US made AK barrels, especially Green Mountain don't have a great reputation when it comes to quality.

The arabic markings are common on Egyptian parts kits, they really don't add to the value or detract if they aren't there.

Was hard to tell from the pics, what receiver did your friend use? I'm curious why it's marked "Interarms, Houston TX" if they didn't do the build.

Not really looking for value in the markings. just curious as to what they say really. And I'll ask him about the barrel, He's been building AK's for quite some time, and have heard good things from others about his work, so I'm not too worried. If it is a Green Mountain barrel, what kind of round count am I looking at? This thing will go to some courses, and be just as mistreated as the rest of my equipment :p

jhard93
08-31-13, 20:53
As for the receiver, he stocked up on them from brownells earlier in the year, Interarms sells them there, and the barrel is Green mountain Chrome lined.

halmbarte
09-01-13, 01:12
Thanks! it was recommended that when I zero it, to place the rear sight at 200m, zero at 25, then place the rear sight at the 100m setting and confirm at 100, then return it to the battlesight setting.

Is this accurate? I may be remembering incorrectly

That should be very close. Just remember, when your sight says 100m that that is 109 yards.

H

SteyrAUG
09-01-13, 01:28
Not really looking for value in the markings. just curious as to what they say really. And I'll ask him about the barrel, He's been building AK's for quite some time, and have heard good things from others about his work, so I'm not too worried. If it is a Green Mountain barrel, what kind of round count am I looking at? This thing will go to some courses, and be just as mistreated as the rest of my equipment :p

Now I'm tracking on the markings. I have no idea what they mean except for the increments on the rear sight are obviously numerals.

As for the build, I'm not questioning his abilities. But a chef is only as good as his ingredients. Not sure what kind of "round count" you'll get out of a Green Mountain barrel, accuracy is usually the issue associated with them.

jhard93
09-01-13, 08:57
Well that's what the AR is for. This is intended as a sub-200m lead delivery system :D as long as it's minute of bad guy out to around 200, I'm good. And as far as the barrel goes, I guess I'll just replace it when I start noticing throat erosion and degraded accuracy.