PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense Clamp-On Gas Block

cctroupe11
08-30-13, 10:28
Hey guys, I have been getting parts for my Spike's Tactical M4 length carbine. I am in Afghanistan currently, but I'm getting parts together to customize it a bit.

I got Daniel Defense's Clamp-on low profile gas block to go under my RIS II. I was just curious if anyone has one of these that they are currently running.

Does it fit right up to the shoulder on the barrel where the FSB is? Do you guys think it's necessary to pin or dimple, or are the clamp screws pretty solid by themselves?

Thanks for info in advance.

I can't wait to get home and start putting this baby together. Other parts I've got to throw on it are the Eotech HHS-II, Bravo SOPMOD stock, my issue grip-pod and KAC foregrip and rail covers. I'm debating on whether or not to get a suppressor, so I'm not sure on the type of flash hider/brake/comp just yet.

beltfed
08-30-13, 10:54
Never used the clamp ons but Id use Rocksett and stake the screw heads.

cctroupe11
08-30-13, 11:09
I plan on using rocksett of locktite. Good idea on staking the screws...do you guys think I should worry about rotation?

justin_247
08-30-13, 11:21
Hey guys, I have been getting parts for my Spike's Tactical M4 length carbine. I am in Afghanistan currently, but I'm getting parts together to customize it a bit.

I got Daniel Defense's Clamp-on low profile gas block to go under my RIS II. I was just curious if anyone has one of these that they are currently running.

Does it fit right up to the shoulder on the barrel where the FSB is? Do you guys think it's necessary to pin or dimple, or are the clamp screws pretty solid by themselves?

Thanks for info in advance.

I can't wait to get home and start putting this baby together. Other parts I've got to throw on it are the Eotech HHS-II, Bravo SOPMOD stock, my issue grip-pod and KAC foregrip and rail covers. I'm debating on whether or not to get a suppressor, so I'm not sure on the type of flash hider/brake/comp just yet.

Careful. The bottom rail on the RIS II is extremely low profile. Certain clamp on gas blocks will not fit under it. If the you're talking about is the one I'm thinking about (two screws that you tighten on the bottom to clamp it on), it may not work. I strongly suggest you e-mail Daniel Defense and ask them.

cctroupe11
08-30-13, 11:40
I talked to a rep from DD when I purchased it and he said the clamp on works with all rail systems that they offer...so hopefully he is right, lol.

justin_247
08-30-13, 11:49
I talked to a rep from DD when I purchased it and he said the clamp on works with all rail systems that they offer...so hopefully he is right, lol.

That's awesome! Answers a question that's been floating around in my head, too. Thanks.

Being that it's a clamp-on block, I would definitely get it pinned. ADCO can do it for you.

But if you're getting it pinned, I would go with an entirely different block.

BT6
08-30-13, 11:55
Our clamp on gas blocks are good to go concerning the RIS family of rails whether its the M4A1 or Mk18. No worries there. Hi temp thread locking compound isn't a bad idea but I've never seen one become problematic after being installed correctly the first time. I do not believe our clamp on can successfully be pinned in place. It was never designed for that. I would avoid it.

Matt @ DD

cctroupe11
08-30-13, 11:58
Thanks! I'll definitely use some thread locker...and possibly the idea of staking the screw heads.

Anyone got a tip or trick on correctly aligning the gas hole in the barrel to the one on the inside of the gas block?

bruin
08-30-13, 12:08
I talked to a rep from DD when I purchased it and he said the clamp on works with all rail systems that they offer...so hopefully he is right, lol.Interesting, I once specifically asked if their clamp-on GB works with the MFR and was told no, it wouldn't fit.

Make sure you clean/degrease the screws and holes before applying threadlocker. It's also a good idea to put witness marks on the screw heads so you can easily check if they're backing out.

A properly fitted and installed clamp-on GB can be very strong, and if it's under a rail I wouldn't worry about it.

Tzed250
08-30-13, 12:39
Some data. My carbine is equipped with the DD MFR 9.0. Under it is the JP low profile adjustable gas block.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-5B

The MFR fits over it fine. I have read many posts about where to set the GB when no handguard cap is used. I initially set mine forward of the barrel shoulder ~.020". The action would not reliably cycle, so I moved the GB back against the shoulder and it has run 100% since then. The barrel is DD M4 profile, carbine gas.

Slippers
08-30-13, 17:08
Interesting, I once specifically asked if their clamp-on GB works with the MFR and was told no, it wouldn't fit.

Make sure you clean/degrease the screws and holes before applying threadlocker. It's also a good idea to put witness marks on the screw heads so you can easily check if they're backing out.

A properly fitted and installed clamp-on GB can be very strong, and if it's under a rail I wouldn't worry about it.

The MFR has the bracket on the inside of the rear of the rail, which gives it much less clearance to fit over the gas block during installation.

Tzed250
08-30-13, 19:44
I guess some clarification. The MFR mounting ring will not fit over the gas block. You must slip the ring onto the barrel nut, install the gas block, mount the float tube to the mounting ring, then fasten the mounting ring to the barrel nut. Using this method the rail clears the JP block fine.

308sako
08-30-13, 20:47
I have assembled 4 uppers 2 of which are SBR's based on BCM 11.5" lightweight barrels. Total round count is in excess of 10,000 rounds and there have been zero issues with these item(s.)

I left about .035" clearance from the barrel shoulder at inception, and the feeler gauge still reads .035" for the space on my SBR. This is a very strong mounting solution.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/115inchSBR.jpg