PDA

View Full Version : How front heavy is a BCM 14.5 middy with DD lite 9 rail?

morbidbattlecry
08-30-13, 20:44
I'm looking into picking up a new upper and i've run into a bit of a conundrum. My ideal upper would be a 14.5 middy LW barrel with a DD Lite 9 rail(pinned FSB). Unfortunately Bcm doesn't offer an upper in this configuration. So i have to make a choice. LW barrel with MOE handguards or Standard barrel with Lite 9 rail. I really like the DD Lite rails they fit the thumb break method i use to hold the front of the gun( i run with a tango down stubby vfg that i ride high and let my thumb rest in between the rails). I've had a lot of time with the 12 inch rail and liked it alot but don't have it anymore(read i'm an idiot) Long story short i have a phobia of front heavy guns from my dpms days. Just wanted to know how a standard barrel with Lite handguards handled.

On a side note, i don't really want to do my own build to get what i want. Or to get a LW barreled upper and then have it sent off to have a rail put on. It would be a whole thing with removing pinned A2x then pinning and welding another one on. Someone mentioned on another thread how hard it is to get pins out of bcm fsbs. It would be a whole thing and i don't want to deal with it.

Col_Crocs
08-30-13, 21:30
I dont think it will be all that heavy. I once ran a buddy's 14.5 middy with drop in Troys, TD VFG and G2 in a VTAC mount, without issue, and I'm almost 100% certain that rail's heavier than the Lite.
That said, If you really need a rail, have you considered the DD Omega instead? No trouble to install at all. Or... (without knowing BCM's exact offerings) why not get one 12in rail since you like that config to begin with?

TacticalMark
08-30-13, 21:45
My BCM 14.5" Gov. profile middy with MOE Handguard, TI-7 stock and H buffer weighs 6lbs 7oz with BCM BCG.

Dannyh
08-30-13, 22:03
I like my 14.5 w/ the Magpul Moe handguard.. The balance is perfect in my opinion.

That gov't profile barrel isn't the lightest around. Then again I'm always fatigued from various trainings..

Samson1
08-30-13, 22:06
This should help.

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons

jpeezy
08-30-13, 23:00
I run a BCM bfh 14.5 mid with 12" lite rail. It's solid and my favorite gun. I wouldn't worry, don't over think your decision. The lite rails are built well and can take a beating, well worth it in my opinion.

Stickman
08-30-13, 23:52
I carried this upper on my duty weapon for awhile without complaint, obviously I had a light and optic while using it as well.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/STCK0172-A-1200-Stick.jpg

morbidbattlecry
08-31-13, 18:34
I carried this upper on my duty weapon for awhile without complaint, obviously I had a light and optic while using it as well.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/STCK0172-A-1200-Stick.jpg

Did it feel front heavy at all? Nice picture as always btw.

Stickman
08-31-13, 20:24
Did it feel front heavy at all? Nice picture as always btw.

Thanks, after a few hours on a perimeter, anything can feel like it should be lighter. Clearing houses, shooting quals, training classes and similar things? No, not at all.

kest_01
08-31-13, 20:32
Not sure I get all this lightweight front end type stuff, when deployed my carbine is rocking a VFG, PEQ, a white light of whatever variety and most times a suppressor. Could it be lighter? Sure and I wouldn't complain at all, but if my 11lb weapon were causing me problems, I'd hit the gym alot more till I wasn't too much of a bitch to rock a 11lb gun for a few hours. Keep in mind I say this when alot of military patrols last at least as long as a one day carbine class, x 365 days or so. YMMV though.

Stickman
08-31-13, 21:37
Of course there is always someone who comes along and says hit the gym more. Typically it is more apt to happen on ARFCOM, as it is a different crowd.

The next thing is the bigger fish, the larger buck, they threw the high school pass that won the game, etc etc..

Most of us just laugh at those people.

morbidbattlecry
08-31-13, 22:14
Thanks, after a few hours on a perimeter, anything can feel like it should be lighter. Clearing houses, shooting quals, training classes and similar things? No, not at all.

Yeah that was the kind of things i was thinking of. I think i'll go with a standard barrel and the rail pre-installed. If it really irritates me i'll just send it off to Adco and have it turned down. But i'll shoot the hell out of it first. Thanks to you and eveyone else in this thread for the advice. It helped a great deal in my decision:D.

Caeser25
08-31-13, 22:17
I have a 16" M4 with a Lite 10.0 and it's not nose heavy at all with a Sopmod.

Edit: Your other option is a BCM LW and add a Centurion rail yourself. Or even a Midwest industries drop in rail, they're a little lighter. It never hurts to weigh less.

kest_01
08-31-13, 22:29
Stick, love your pics and not trying to cause any type of shit. Really though if your average infantry dude can clear houses and climb mountains with an AR that's heavier than most of what your average civi dude carries without complaining about the weight, don't see what the big deal is. You're average carbine class is like 8 hours a day, most down range patrols last alot longer than that, most Joes are forced to carry way more shit on their rifle than what's needed, and if a pound or two is the barrier between you and good scores on the range than for sure you need to get your ass to the gym and man up. YMMV

morbidbattlecry
08-31-13, 23:39
I have a 16" M4 with a Lite 10.0 and it's not nose heavy at all with a Sopmod.

Edit: Your other option is a BCM LW and add a Centurion rail yourself. Or even a Midwest industries drop in rail, they're a little lighter. It never hurts to weigh less.

I run an Imod on my gun. I was thinking though i guess if i really wanted to i could go LW barrel and throw a DD Omega on it.

Dannyh
09-01-13, 07:26
Of course there is always someone who comes along and says hit the gym more. Typically it is more apt to happen on ARFCOM, as it is a different crowd.

The next thing is the bigger fish, the larger buck, they threw the high school pass that won the game, etc etc..

Most of us just laugh at those people.

Yeah I see those comments here and there.. I'm a gym guy, I hit my share of weight but I'm more sore and fatigued than not.. You'd have to train specifically for endurance I assume unfortunately I'm a meat head.