PDA

View Full Version : Dollar for Dollar, Colt vs DD

Craiger
08-30-13, 22:25
Well after much research I have narrowed down my options to two. This will be my 1st AR and I want something decent. I was hoping to make this decision on my own without a typical noob thread like this but I'm torn and really would like some input.

I'm fortunate enough to have found both of my desired rifles locally, and at reasonable prices ...

Colt LE6920MP FDE $1029
Daniel Defense V5lw $1349

I'm torn because as much as I like Colt and FDE, I would probably end up replacing the plastic hand guard with a mid to long free float rail and need to replace the FFS with a flip up. At that point I'd have about the same amount of money invested (if not more) as I would if I buy the DD plus sights, now.

My question is if they are both going to wind up costing me roughly the same, would the Colt still be a wise choice or is the DD a no brainer for that money?

ericl
08-30-13, 22:30
Go DD. Ready to go out of the box. Look at gandrtactical.com. They had the DDV5 with a FREE Aimpoint PRO a while back!

SteveL
08-30-13, 22:46
Since it seems the DD is exactly how you want it out of the box, that's what I would get. I'll also echo the above about buying from Grant and getting a free Aimpoint.

ScatmanCrothers
08-30-13, 22:50
No reason to consider the Colt because you like Colt and FDE if it doesn't offer what you want. They're both worth their asking price and the DD has what you want already. Buy DD.

TacticalMark
08-30-13, 23:04
They are both quality rifles, I would buy the DD.

NYH1
08-30-13, 23:10
I agree with the others. As much as I think the Colt is a great deal, you're going to end up swapping out the MP forearm for a rail anyways. So you might as well get the DD with the rail you want and be done with it. You'll probably end up being money ahead as you already said.

Good luck, NYH1.

Biggy
08-30-13, 23:27
If you know what you really want, then I would get what you really want. IMHO, both choices are pretty much equal in all areas. I believe one area where the prancing pony wins out over the DD offering, is in its name recognition among the masses of softcore AR owners. Also, someday in future, the AR you are planning on buying will probably be for sale by you, or by someone in your family you gave it to. When that day comes, I believe the Colt would probably be an easier sell, with a potential bigger profit margin.

Craiger
08-30-13, 23:52
Good point guys, resounding vote for the DD.

As for the DD with a free Aim Pro, thanks for that info. They are still offering that package. Only downside is I was leaning toward an EOTech later on but for $1639 that is really making me reconsider.

I was pushing it at $1450 after taxes.

Decisions, decisions ...

RWH24
08-30-13, 23:54
Daniel Defense!:agree:

Gray Ghost
08-31-13, 00:59
Just depends if you're in the Colt Cult.
I was a goner a long time ago, I've since owned several Colt AR's and a .357 Python. There's just something about owning a Pony gun with the horse roll-mark. It took several trips to Specialized Armament Warehouse and talking to Ken Elmore to really seal the deal for me.
It's the original and the real thing. Daniel Defense is great albiet a little "civilian". Colt's seem to have strong resale value too.

SilverBullet432
08-31-13, 01:02
DD! As stated free aimpoint!!

The Lance
08-31-13, 01:10
go with DD if thats closer to what you want in a rifle.

I made the mistake of buying an m4 upper from Core 15 and eventually upgraded all the parts to rainier and spikes..

Good news is I have enough parts for another complete upper.
maybe I should buy another spikes stripped lower and build another rifle

nml
08-31-13, 01:12
DD offers midlength gas. Also LW profile, if you want it (not seeing 6720s). Provided quad rail is very nice but quad rail is not for everyone as evidenced by recent rail introductions

Horsehide
08-31-13, 08:19
As mentioned, it is hard to go wrong with DD, especially if you find the model suiting your needs.
We never had any issues with our Colts (6920s & 6520s), but they somehow got replaced through the years and we ended up with all DD middies. Another thing to consider is the outstanding support from the DD staff if you ever need it.

uffdaphil
08-31-13, 08:25
Equal quality and dependability so unless the lw is a big factor, just go with your gut. Like two cute puppies, flick back and forth till one tugs at you just a bit more.

And then next week when you have rationalized sufficiently, buy the other one too. Then repeat the whole process with CQB and mid-range optics.

TedG
08-31-13, 09:53
No matter which one you choose now.... you'll get the other one down the line.

ra2bach
08-31-13, 11:53
the Colt can be setup like the DD for about the same money but no one has yet mentioned the difference is the DD has a midlength gas system with a LW hammerforged barrel and the 6920 is carbine gas with the silly M4 profile.

to me that's the significant difference. I like carbine gas but only with a 14.5" barrel. at 16" I prefer midlength..

Airhasz
08-31-13, 12:22
the Colt can be setup like the DD for about the same money but no one has yet mentioned the difference is the DD has a midlength gas system with a LW hammerforged barrel and the 6920 is carbine gas with the silly M4 profile.

to me that's the significant difference. I like carbine gas but only with a 14.5" barrel. at 16" I prefer midlength..

Our military sons and daughters have been keeping BGs off mainland America with that silly barrel for decades...:nono:

HackerF15E
08-31-13, 12:28
Do you have experience shooting either configuration yet?

RogerinTPA
08-31-13, 12:54
Since it seems the DD is exactly how you want it out of the box, that's what I would get. I'll also echo the above about buying from Grant and getting a free Aimpoint.

Agreed, and it's a great deal.

OP: Both are quality weapons and I own both x 2, but if the DD is more towards what you want, it would be less headache to obtain the weapon most configured to your liking with minor additions added after the fact to ultimately configure it to your needs.

Briman1001
08-31-13, 14:32
I agree with the DD + aimpoint. I bought one, but seriously if you know you will take the Colt and put a rail on it then save the time, money, and effort and get the DD already with a great rail included and a pinned not set screw installed gas block.

SilentType
08-31-13, 16:00
Excuse my ignorance, but does Colt manufacture their own CHF barrels in house? I've heard in the past that they've subcontracted out barrels, but maybe that was to meet DOD demands?

madisonsfinest
08-31-13, 17:34
If the rail on the DD is what you are looking for than go that route. If you would rather have something like a Noveske NSR, or Geissele rail than you could go with the Colt.

Korgs130
08-31-13, 18:23
If the rail on the DD is what you are looking for than go that route. If you would rather have something like a Noveske NSR, or Geissele rail than you could go with the Colt.

This. If the DD is set up with what you want, get the DD.

big_pErm
08-31-13, 18:55
I was in the exact same situation a couple of months ago, at the end of the day the DD was exactly how I wanted it and I am not disappointed. Bought the deal from G and R. Got the DDM4 v7 with a free Aimpoint PRO.

DD and don't look back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kest_01
08-31-13, 19:08
One thing you should take into account, how much rail space do you actually need? On my issue guns I have white lights and ir lasers and what not, on my personal guns I have a white light. I have multiple guns set up with 4 sided rails and with MOE handguards, for the kind of shooting that I'm gonna be doing free floating barrels aren't that important really. And for that matter neither is 5000 inches of rail space, I need a place to hook up a sling and a white light and I'm good. For me the MOE handguard fills that need. YMMV.

Redbeardsong
08-31-13, 19:20
DD M4V5LW, hands down.

All the benefits of a 12" handguard while still feeling like a lightweight gun. That rail is my favorite quad on the market and DD only sells it on their guns. Not to mention the QD endplate, better barrel, midlength gas system, beveled magwell, and lifetime warranty.

I sell Colts and DDs all day long.
Can you tell I love my M4V5LW?

checkmyswag
08-31-13, 21:20
DD will give you a much more customized gun. Colt is the standard, but with that you won't get the latest cool kid setup.

thehun
08-31-13, 21:46
I have DDM4V1 LW...it is the softest shooting carbine system I have shot...reason...awesome quality

I as well paired up with an Aimpoint...tried EOtech did not like it as much as an Aimpoint

Craiger
08-31-13, 21:47
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time and respect everyone's opinion. Some great points about buying now in the configuration I will want latter.

Only question now is can I afford the extra money for the package deal.

MIS729
08-31-13, 22:05
Either is a great rifle, but if it were me I'd go with the DD. It's a plug and play package and their quality is stellar, not to mention their awesome customer service. You won't regret it. Besides, ARs are a disease...the collection will likely expand in the future :D

txf15crewchief
08-31-13, 22:38
Definitely the DD. I love Colts, but getting a rifle the configuration you want, especially at the price of that local DD buy with confidence. You won't regret it. If you can't get the package deal, save up and for that Aimpoint and a quality carbine class.

monadh
08-31-13, 23:19
I do not sell Colts or DD. i have had a number of ARs including Armalite, Rock River, LaRue, Colt, and Eagle Arms. My brother owns a DD M4V5, and I have held a number of DD rifles. I have not shot one yet.

While I plan on getting DD, when I had the choice between the two, I got a Colt SOCOM. Why? Because when it comes to AR rifles, I despise standard and lightweight barrel profiles more than anything, and I could only get standard or lightweight profiles in 16 inch length from DD. My SOCOM has the M4A1 profile (sans 203 cuts), which I like.

While your average DD rifles are a cut above Colt rifles in fit and finish, I am not convinced the components themselves are any better. My specific Colt has excellent fit and finish, better than any other Colt I have seen in a long time. When I saw it, I had to have it. The accuracy is exceptional, and I cannot imagine the DD would be any better.

The overall recommendation everyone is making is DD, and those are valid recommendations. When it came down to the two for me, I chose Colt, but that is just me.

Vandal
09-01-13, 00:29
Right now I am finding myself in a similar situation as the OP, do I pick up the 6920MOE or grab a DD for just a little more.

My purpose behind the rifle is to have a second rifle on hand to take out shooters new to the AR platform with most likely an Aimpoint PRO or H-1. I don't really need a rail, want to keep it simple for new shooters and not clutter things up with flip up sights, rails and lights. I have my PWS Mk114Mod1 for that purpose.

The new shooter cool factor would be higher with the railed DD for the COD players who finally want to shoot the real thing.

TBomb
09-01-13, 10:56
I'm probably not going to tell you anything you haven't already been told in this thread, but here goes anyway. To me, it isn't so much a question of dollar for dollar, Colt vs DD, because if there were two identically equipped rifles at the same price, I would probably pick the Colt. The deal with Colt is they are really, really good at building "war horses" as people like to call them, but are a little behind the rest of the industry as far as cutting edge trends go on fighting rifles, although they are certainly getting better about that in recent years. I bought a 6940 because I wanted a Colt, I wanted a monolithic upper, I didn't need an incredibly long rail (short arms, don't put a lot of junk on the gun), it was available and the price was right. I have since spent a bit of money changing a few things to get it 100% like I want it, but if the option existed to buy exactly what I wanted, or at least pretty damn close, I would have rather bought it like that off the shelf than spend the money, time, and effort to get it that way. Then again, I do kind of enjoy the process of "tweaking" with a specific goal in mind, but not everyone does.

All that to say, in your shoes, knowing what I know now, I would probably get the DD from Grant with the Aimpoint if you were already planning on getting a RDS type optic down the road anyway. You'll probably end up spending the money eventually, so try to save up to get what you want the first time.

Ark1443
09-01-13, 11:22
I have a DDM4V3 (don't think they make this model now, at least in the config I have), and a colt 6720 w/magpul fde furniture.

The V3 came with a quad omega x rail, and was a little more expensive in comparison, however as the other gentlemen have stated, if you want the rail, go ahead & get the DD. It's basically what your looking for out of the box.

Biggy
09-01-13, 16:43
While this may not be an option for you , and they are currently out of stock at G&R Tactical, going this route you can have it, pretty much your way.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-C
Then if you like you could always add one of these later :
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GFCOMP0
and one of these :
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BRAVO&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dstock%20not%20out%20not%20buffer%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html
and when they come out (hopefully in the next three months) modify your front sight an add one of these: The BCM KM 13" rail that weighs 7.7oz., like on the rifle in the link below.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153038936950416&set=a.10151236579360416.800876.295755495415&type=1&theater
Then add the buis of your choice
Then see if you can find a gently used Aimpoint Micro RD and mount in forums EE section or see what kind of deal Grant at G&R Tactical will make on one of these with the cover:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=11911

http://www.gandrtactical.com/

ra2bach
09-02-13, 12:55
Our military sons and daughters have been keeping BGs off mainland America with that silly barrel for decades...:nono:

what??? are you talking about the 14.5"/carbine gas? I agree. but that's not what the 6920 is. it's a 16"/carbine gas.

or are you talking about the 203 notch? you got a grenade launcher???

TurretGunner
09-02-13, 16:42
Neither, Build your own.

If you have to have one, get a DD. Middy blows carbine out of water for a 16" gun. There is no point whatsoever to run a 16" carbine.

Craiger
09-02-13, 17:57
Neither, Build your own.

If you have to have one, get a DD. Middy blows carbine out of water for a 16" gun. There is no point whatsoever to run a 16" carbine.

Really, so the DD blows the Colt out of the water? While I realize the mid is better than the carbine I didn't realize it was that big of a difference.

Oh well, honestly I'm leaning toward spending less right now and buying the Colt. As much as i would like to have everything i want right away, i think its best i spend less right now.

Guess ill live with having an inferior weapon for now. Think the Colt will be a fine 1st AR personally, but what do I know.

checkmyswag
09-02-13, 18:21
Really, so the DD blows the Colt out of the water? While I realize the mid is better than the carbine I didn't realize it was that big of a difference.

Oh well, honestly I'm leaning toward spending less right now and buying the Colt. As much as i would like to have everything i want right away, i think its best i spend less right now.

Guess ill live with having an inferior weapon for now. Think the Colt will be a fine 1st AR personally, but what do I know.

The Colt was the standard high quality AR forever and arguably still is. The AR has exploded in popularity and lots of makers have sprung up. The DD, LWRC, LMT and so on are the boutique guns. They are the guns the cool kids use.

Get a Colt if you're happy with what has been the standard and you dont mind a very standard/stock setup.

Get a DD etc, if you want a mid length gas system, different profile barrel and all that jazz.

I wouldnt "settle" for a Colt due to cost if you really want more of a "gamer" setup. I'd save up for another year or whatever. Otherwise you'll lose money selling the Colt down the road or will have to put a bunch of money into upgrading it.

Now...a third option is...get the Colt you can afford now and you'll have a super high quality gun. THEN, down the road you can get whatever upper you want to put on it, including a DD fancy setup!

munch520
09-02-13, 18:23
Pretty simple, do you need a rail?

Yes: DD
No: Colt

Craiger
09-02-13, 18:40
For the price of the Colt, $1027, after tax $1100, I doubt I will lose too much if I ever sell it.

Boba Fett v2
09-02-13, 19:18
I've been shooting the Colt my entire military career, so I'm partial to the Colt for sentimental reasons more or less. DD makes a damn fine carbine though.

TurretGunner
09-02-13, 19:22

Then build your own, get what you want, and save some money. You can buy/build a great rifle for cheap.

For what the colt costs, you can build a middy with LW rail.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm
+
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3366

Just grind down the FSB

Add a Lower and a BCG and your good to go.

EDIT: You can go with a cheaper upper or another company.

99% of the people on this site will never even shoot enough to know the difference betwen BCM/Colt/DD/PSA/Bushmaster/ect.

There is nothing wrong with a solid gun built from parts or from one of the non-gear queer companies touted around here.

iLift45s
09-02-13, 19:35
After seeing Larry Vickers torture test of the DD I was convinced. I love my DD M4V1. Only thing that made it better was putting a Aimpoint Micro and Wilson single stage trigger in it. Thing is sweet!

Blak1508
09-02-13, 19:37
The Colt was the standard high quality AR forever and arguably still is. The AR has exploded in popularity and lots of makers have sprung up. The DD, LWRC, LMT and so on are the boutique guns. They are the guns the cool kids use.

Get a Colt if you're happy with what has been the standard and you dont mind a very standard/stock setup.

Get a DD etc, if you want a mid length gas system, different profile barrel and all that jazz.

I wouldnt "settle" for a Colt due to cost if you really want more of a "gamer" setup. I'd save up for another year or whatever. Otherwise you'll lose money selling the Colt down the road or will have to put a bunch of money into upgrading it.

Now...a third option is...get the Colt you can afford now and you'll have a super high quality gun. THEN, down the road you can get whatever upper you want to put on it, including a DD fancy setup!

I cannot tell if this is a sarcastic post or not :). I would not call DD or LWRC boutique brands, first one mainly is piston operated the other is DI second some want a bit more bang for their buck and want a quality rail system included etc off the bat. While I think that both the Colt and DD are more than solid and the OP would be happy with what ever one out of the 2 he decided to go with.
I also feel that he may not be taking a substantial loss if he decided to buy the Colt now and sell or upgrade later. I think that it is important to know before hand of your intended use and either get the Colt and determine what you want/need in the future or get the DD and have it mainly from the start. I can say this I bought the DDV1 and since then I have user modified many things on it to suit my individual preference.

But I def do not think that a Daniel Defense rifle is for "Kool Kids" anyone that thinks that should shoot.

TurretGunner
09-02-13, 20:09
After seeing Larry Vickers torture test of the DD I was convinced. I love my DD M4V1. Only thing that made it better was putting a Aimpoint Micro and Wilson single stage trigger in it. Thing is sweet!

Did he TT a Colt, Noveske, LMT, Spikes, Bushmaster, CMMG or any other brand?

Means jack shit without a comparison of how it stacks up vs. everyone else.

I can tell you, I can make a DD stop running with 1 hit. Funny how durring all that shit, the RE never bent/broke/or was in a possition too.

Want to stop a rifle from firing? Bend the RE and you got a single shot rifle.

DD is no "tougher" or reliable than any of the other, properly made and built rifles.

TurretGunner
09-02-13, 20:12
I cannot tell if this is a sarcastic post or not :). I would not call DD or LWRC boutique brands, first one mainly is piston operated the other is DI second some want a bit more bang for their buck and want a quality rail system included etc off the bat. While I think that both the Colt and DD are more than solid and the OP would be happy with what ever one out of the 2 he decided to go with.
I also feel that he may not be taking a substantial loss if he decided to buy the Colt now and sell or upgrade later. I think that it is important to know before hand of your intended use and either get the Colt and determine what you want/need in the future or get the DD and have it mainly from the start. I can say this I bought the DDV1 and since then I have user modified many things on it to suit my individual preference.

But I def do not think that a Daniel Defense rifle is for "Kool Kids" anyone that thinks that should shoot.

Who said he will sell it? Why not buy the Colt, and then when he wants something else, buy something else. Most people with the BRD, have more than a few rifles/carbines.

I think they are ****ing, because everytime I open the safes, there seem to be more appearing out of everywhere.

Want the best advice you will ever get? Buy a ton of lowers, like 10-20, and stack them away. Then build them up as your hearts content. No one ever said to themselves "Shit I think I have too many AR's".

checkmyswag
09-02-13, 20:19
For the price of the Colt, $1027, after tax $1100, I doubt I will lose too much if I ever sell it.

Agreed, you won't take a beating by selling it.

As far as me talking about what the cool kids like, it's true. It was Aimpoints and magnifiers, then rails, then rails with 1-4x scopes, now it's back to basics with MOE or M4 handguards, A2 sights. Meanwhile the Colt is still the standard. BUT get what you want. I agree some of the other high end/boutique guns are nice. I've been considering going to a piston upper myself so I'm not too much of a curmudgeon.

Craiger
09-02-13, 20:47
Who said he will sell it? Why not buy the Colt, and then when he wants something else, buy something else. Most people with the BRD, have more than a few rifles/carbines.

This ^ , I'm pretty sure the Colt or whatever I buy now won't be the last. Hell, I'm a total newb with guns in general. I started with handguns about 6 months ago and already have an FNX45, FNS9 and a Mossy 500 12 gauge. Im now dying to buy my 1st 1911 after shooting one recently. I've been bitten for sure.

I think they are ****ing, because everytime I open the safes, there seem to be more appearing out of everywhere.

Lmao!

Blak1508
09-02-13, 21:35

Want the best advice you will ever get? Buy a ton of lowers, like 10-20, and stack them away. Then build them up as your hearts content. No one ever said to themselves "Shit I think I have too many AR's".

I am on your side with this, I was referring to the individual I quoted that if I read correctly said the individual would take a loss selling the Colt down the road or upgrading it, personally I think buying the Colt and upgrading to personal needs or preference is the way to go. I do not like selling anything I have which again I agree with, just buy another.

I think the advice you gave is prob the best I have heard today and also the funniest. I wish my lowers had that issues, maybe yours and mine should meet.:D

Blak1508
09-02-13, 22:02
Agreed, you won't take a beating by selling it.

As far as me talking about what the cool kids like, it's true. It was Aimpoints and magnifiers, then rails, then rails with 1-4x scopes, now it's back to basics with MOE or M4 handguards, A2 sights. Meanwhile the Colt is still the standard. BUT get what you want. I agree some of the other high end/boutique guns are nice. I've been considering going to a piston upper myself so I'm not too much of a curmudgeon.

I really do not see any factual, true information or even a first hand experience. What is proven factual and true to me is my Daniel Defense, same with my Rainier. I don't worry about what the cool kids do but when I use something and it works and proves dependable that makes me smart, IMO thats an educated decision, and I guess to some that may be cool. I know at any point it could have a hiccup and or failure but at that point is where the operator comes in and your only as good as your training.

Bottom line keeping on track, both manufactures Colt and DD are GTG, I have a DD and shot a Colt. Both have proven track records and if you look hard enough both can be found for good prices. I guarantee though once you get your first complete your next will be a build and then another and another. I haven't stopped since I started and I have no plans to.

checkmyswag
09-02-13, 23:02
The trends and fads in the AR world are what I stated. Same with some trends coming full circle. It is fact. Not trashing DD. They are good guns. They are fancy good guns and that's OK.

I handled one at a gun show recently and was impressed by the quality and features for the price.

Blak1508
09-03-13, 18:53
I get what you are saying although I feel that if thats what we are looking at that there are some other manufactures some individuals flock to first, hell some of the hype is what gets me to buy, of course that is after I do my own research. For example I am eyeing a KAC, my wife hates me for it but just like others I have been bitten by the bug:D

Berserkr556
09-03-13, 19:05
Of the two choices listed I'd go with the Colt. The only other AR I'd buy is BCM. My first AR was a Colt back in the early 80s and the only other ARs I've bought are BCM.

TurretGunner
09-03-13, 19:22
Of the two choices listed I'd go with the Colt. The only other AR I'd buy is BCM. My first AR was a Colt back in the early 80s and the only other ARs I've bought are BCM.

Your missing out on a whole big world then peter pan.

iLift45s
09-03-13, 20:26
Did he TT a Colt, Noveske, LMT, Spikes, Bushmaster, CMMG or any other brand?

Means jack shit without a comparison of how it stacks up vs. everyone else.

I can tell you, I can make a DD stop running with 1 hit. Funny how durring all that shit, the RE never bent/broke/or was in a possition too.

Want to stop a rifle from firing? Bend the RE and you got a single shot rifle.

DD is no "tougher" or reliable than any of the other, properly made and built rifles.

The whole point of the show was to show the viewer the quality of the DD. Don't think it was meant to compare it to other manufacturers. What was amazing was they ran 1000 rounds full auto straight until the last round and compared the accuracy before and after the test! The moa didn't really change if at all. You get a lot of rifle for the price! Now my Wilson Recon SR Tactical that's a totally different animal.

Tzook
09-03-13, 20:35
I'm a huge fan of DD. I think both Colt and DD guns are top notch, but I think that Colt's carbine gas system with a FSP is too restrictive for what I prefer to shoot.

TacticalSledgehammer
09-03-13, 20:53
Some guy brought into the gun shop a 6920 that he allegedly bought at Walmart. The heat shields fell out of the hand guards where they had been glued in.
^ this isn't going to have much weight around here, because (A.)There was no proof those were put on originally by colt before he walked into the shop, and (B.) it sounds like another "I heard this at the gun shop story"

What I'm saying here is inspect the HG if possible, and/or possibly plan on buying replacment HGs. As far as I know, Colt still makes a good AR. I'm just offering a word of caution.

TurretGunner
09-03-13, 21:03
The whole point of the show was to show the viewer the quality of the DD. Don't think it was meant to compare it to other manufacturers. What was amazing was they ran 1000 rounds full auto straight until the last round and compared the accuracy before and after the test! The moa didn't really change if at all. You get a lot of rifle for the price! Now my Wilson Recon SR Tactical that's a totally different animal.

The whole point is the test means jack shit unless its compared to other brands and there is a baseline.

DD did what they set out to do, sell rifles to ignorant people and those incappable of critical thinking (not that DD are not great rifles, they are).

JasonB1
09-03-13, 21:09
Some guy brought into the gun shop a 6920 that he allegedly bought at Walmart. The heat shields fell out of the hand guards where they had been glued in.
^ this isn't going to have much weight around here, because (A.)There was no proof those were put on originally by colt before he walked into the shop, and (B.) it sounds like another "I heard this at the gun shop story"

What I'm saying here is inspect the HG if possible, and/or possibly plan on buying replacment HGs. As far as I know, Colt still makes a good AR. I'm just offering a word of caution.

The current Colt M4 heatshields are glued in on top of having the tabs inserted in to corresponding notches. Somewhat unlikely they would just pop out., but anything is possible.

High Tower
09-03-13, 22:10
The current Colt M4 heatshields are glued in on top of having the tabs inserted in to corresponding notches. Somewhat unlikely they would just pop out., but anything is possible.

They do pop out of the notches.

Just give a brand new M4 to a private and tell him not to mess with it. Joe will have it broke it minutes.

hghlndr85
09-04-13, 07:49
ive owned both, still own the dd, very disspointed with the sloppy feel of the colt

Craiger
09-04-13, 10:33
Seems like people always say Colt isn't this or isnt that compared to others, yet the one thing Colt always does is go bang. Of course my comment is based on my research on Colts 1911s.

Not sure what your referencing when you say it was "sloppy" as far as the AR is concerned?

TurretGunner
09-04-13, 10:58
Seems like people always say Colt isn't this or isnt that compared to others, yet the one thing Colt always does is go bang. Of course my comment is based on my research on Colts 1911s.

Not sure what your referencing when you say it was "sloppy" as far as the AR is concerned?

He most likley means play between the upper/lower, which has little to no bearing on the shootability of the rifle or accuracy.

Please stop using generalized statements like colt always go bang. They don't, and in fact, their 1911's leave alot to be desired, especialy at that price point.

Colt makes a good rifle. 10 years ago, they were one of the FEW companies that built a good rifle by today's standards. They like many in the industry, have rested on their laurals and have o advanced/innovated their designs as such. For the same money, you can build a much nicer rifle.

TriggerFish
09-04-13, 11:16
Double D FTW.

JChops
09-04-13, 16:57
For the same money, you can build a much nicer rifle.

A quick search reveals a pile of Colt 6920 Magpul Editions online for $1,065 shipped to your FFL.

The one you linked a few pages back—the BCM midlength + BCM BCG + BCM CH + Fortis setup—was $974 shipped for just the upper.

Where are you buying "better than Colt" quality complete lowers for $90 shipped?

Your words, not mine.

JasonB1
09-04-13, 20:28
They do pop out of the notches.

Just give a brand new M4 to a private and tell him not to mess with it. Joe will have it broke it minutes.

That isn't just popping out though. :D

Abraham
09-05-13, 15:53
I'm haven't had a problem with my Colt 6920.

sinlessorrow
09-05-13, 16:27
what??? are you talking about the 14.5"/carbine gas? I agree. but that's not what the 6920 is. it's a 16"/carbine gas.

or are you talking about the 203 notch? you got a grenade launcher???

Canada and the SAS have been using 16" Carbine's for a long time now.

Craiger
09-05-13, 23:36
Well I appreciate everyone's input and realize the DD is a great rifle but for now I decided Colt was going to be my 1st. I bought it today, with tax it was just under $1100. I decided to save some money and buy ammo and training if its available where I live.

I have a lot to learn about the platform in general. After I become familiar with it then I might have a better feel for exactly what I want in my next rifle. Maybe then ill be ready for a DD.

I look forward to heating this thing up, thanks again!

blade_68
09-06-13, 00:59
The Colt will do you well. With what you saved you can shoot it and find out what you realy want. I've got boxes of gun stuff that I needed wanted or been issued. Mainly the latter... stupid 3 point slings (IMHO) and foward grips (issued) come to mind. Later down the road you can get or build a complete upper how you want. I'll agree with the dislike for 203 cut out on barrels..
FYI one of my buddies got a DD and was selling it a week later decided on different model

GUNFUN
09-06-13, 23:30
GO COLT,,,,,DD IS OVER RATED.

Biggy
09-07-13, 02:14
GO COLT,,,,,DD IS OVER RATED.

OVER RATED according to who ? IMHO, Colt, DD, BCM are pretty much equal in the areas that matter most, like reliability and durability. Just get one of the above brands which is your preference and add the accessories of your choice. I also suspect that even though LAV may not be affiliated with DD anymore as a consultant, he still feels exactly the same way about DD rifles as he did when he made the following vids :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RcrE4u4_9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1mjs_77qvw

Tzed250
09-07-13, 03:23
Well I appreciate everyone's input and realize the DD is a great rifle but for now I decided Colt was going to be my 1st. I bought it today, with tax it was just under $1100. I decided to save some money and buy ammo and training if its available where I live.

I have a lot to learn about the platform in general. After I become familiar with it then I might have a better feel for exactly what I want in my next rifle. Maybe then ill be ready for a DD.

I look forward to heating this thing up, thanks again!

Congrats on the new Colt!!

badness
01-07-14, 16:55
You can easily sell the aim point to fund the eotech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

SilverBullet432
01-07-14, 19:27
My cousin was in a similar fix. Either DD or 6920, he saw grants free aimpoint deal with the DD and ordered today! Win win situation.

Outlander Systems
01-07-14, 19:30
I can't believe this is a thread on M4Carbine.net...

...what the ****, over?

Skyyr
01-07-14, 23:06
Buy a Noveske and never have your man card questioned again. Arrrrr!

Kiznelly
01-08-14, 10:10
No matter which one you choose now.... you'll get the other one down the line.

This has been my experience with ARs and 1911s. You can own a Noveske or Ed Brown, but it's still not a Colt.

My go to rifle is a DD, but the Colt's still there.