PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight or M4...

OneAsterisks
08-31-13, 01:46
I have been piecing together my wife a solid rifle the last couple of months and have finally come down to buying the barrel. After lots of looking and complaining on prices etc. I have narrowed it down to 2 barrels currently in stock.

BCM 16' M4 Standard
Features

•M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension (USGI)
•USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
•USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
•Mil-Spec 11595E - Barrel Steel (CMV)
•Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
•Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
•USGI Government Profile Barrels
•HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
•MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

or

BCM 16' Lightweight Standard

•M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension (USGI)
•USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
•USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
•Mil-Spec 11595E - Barrel Steel (CMV)
•Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
•Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
•USGI Government Profile Barrels
•HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
•MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

Basically I am at a loss on which to purchase. I have a FN M4A1 Profile 14.7 on my rifle and my wife complains it is front heavy. It is, but I love the feel of it and not overly heavy for me. My rifles configurations is as followed. Vltor Mur Upper, AAC BCG, Seekins BAR 12', FN 14.7 M4A1 barrel, XTC..

Her rifle currently consists of the following:
Aero Precision Upper
Samson/RA Evolution 11' Free Float
Rainier Arms XTC

Obviously I want to keep it as light as possible for her. Whats the problem? Get the lightweight right? Maybe its my inexperience or ignorance but the lightweight runs a .625 block instead of a .750, can someone school me on my dilema?

BH321
08-31-13, 01:57
Of the two you listed, I would choose the lightweight. The M4 profile is actually a lightweight profile under the hand guard and only heavy forward of it. This is exactly the opposite of want you want for rigidity and as such it is simply excess weight forward of the centre of gravity, making it feel even heavier. Also, be aware that your M4A1 profiled rifle is actually heavyweight throughout (and as such different than the standard M4 profile) save for the two flats under the handguard used for mounting the M203 and the forward notch used for the forward M203 mount. While the M4A1 rifle's profile actually makes sense for rigidity during high round count events, your average civilian is not going to have to provide sustained suppressive fire and as such the heavier profile is simply more weight that you have to lug around.

OneAsterisks
08-31-13, 02:37
Thank you for the great response, I do have a question. Do I have anything to worry about with the .625 vs the standard .750?

I was leaning lightweight but a friend of mine stated finding the gas block in .625 would be difficult. maybe locally but the same retailer has on in stock... so thats not an issue..

Tzed250
08-31-13, 02:54
With a 12 foot rail on your gun and an 11 foot rail on hers it's no wonder she thinks they are front heavy...;)

BH321
08-31-13, 02:58
Thank you for the great response, I do have a question. Do I have anything to worry about with the .625 vs the standard .750?

I was leaning lightweight but a friend of mine stated finding the gas block in .625 would be difficult. maybe locally but the same retailer has on in stock... so thats not an issue..

Generally speaking, finding a .625 gas block shouldn't be a problem (BCM and ADCO both have several on their websites). Also, I would recommend having ADCO (http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew.cfm?code=Pin%20gas%20block) pin it in place, as while set-screw and clamp style gas blocks are generally secure, having it pinned in place is just cheap insurance that it isn't going to move from impact.

OneAsterisks
08-31-13, 03:58
My local armorer is assembling the upper. I'm not worried about finding one, BCM has it in stock aswell as the barrel, it would be one stop shop.

What I am asking is the difference between .750 and .625...

BH321
08-31-13, 04:03
My local armorer is assembling the upper. I'm not worried about finding one, BCM has it in stock aswell as the barrel, it would be one stop shop.

What I am asking is the difference between .750 and .625...

There is no difference other than the diameter of the gas block, literally none.

OneAsterisks
08-31-13, 04:06
You've been a great help, thank you

With a 12 foot rail on your gun and an 11 foot rail on hers it's no wonder she thinks they are front heavy...;)

This guy :)

I wanted all the real estate for all the cool QD attachment points!

Its 5 am where I am, been up all night! Cut me some slack...lol

BH321
08-31-13, 04:11
You've been a great help, thank you

This guy :)

I wanted all the real estate for all the cool QD attachment points!

Its 5 am where I am, been up all night! Cut me some slack...lol

My pleasure man, and congrats on getting your wife into shooting.

OneAsterisks
08-31-13, 04:13
She isnt so new to shooting just the AR platform, she has always liked her 26. She always though it would be rougher to shoot the rifle but she shot it at a few months ago and loved it! Plus i need backup!

wahoo95
08-31-13, 05:05
Definitely go with the Lightweight. I recently completed a "Lady Build" which used a BCM LW Middy Barrel and it balances well.

OneAsterisks
08-31-13, 05:34
10-4 guys, I appreciate the advice!

Redbeardsong
08-31-13, 22:15
I like a lightweight barrel, personally.

SteveL
08-31-13, 22:29
I would go with the LW barrel.

TBomb
08-31-13, 22:39
In your situation, I would get the LW 16" middy, like this one. (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-16lw%20std.htm) I didn't see if you specified a gas system, but the middy should shoot a little softer for her and be easier on parts.

Zane1844
08-31-13, 23:38
I do not see the point in Govt profile nor M4 profile, both, especially the latter, are pointless- to me.

It helps, I guess, that I do not shoot accurately enough to notice the possible difference once the barrel heats up.

Go LW barrel.

OneAsterisks
09-01-13, 00:35
Definately going LW guys! Now, I just have to figure out which gas system to go with. I have never felt a difference between shooting my carbine and a friends middy. Would prefer carbine, just becuase all my rifles have been..

halmbarte
09-01-13, 01:50
Definately going LW guys! Now, I just have to figure out which gas system to go with. I have never felt a difference between shooting my carbine and a friends middy. Would prefer carbine, just becuase all my rifles have been..

I would go mid-length.

There are two reasons why I think mid-length is better on a 16" barrel:

1) You get the gas port farther away from the chamber, allowing for lower port pressure and delayed unlocking with less stress on parts than a carbine gas setup.
2) The dwell is shorter. Besides port pressure you also want gas into the action for the correct amount of time. A middy has shorter dwell than a carbine gas setup on a 16" barrel, again leading to less stress on parts.

H

TBomb
09-01-13, 10:21
I would go mid-length.

There are two reasons why I think mid-length is better on a 16" barrel:

1) You get the gas port farther away from the chamber, allowing for lower port pressure and delayed unlocking with less stress on parts than a carbine gas setup.
2) The dwell is shorter. Besides port pressure you also want gas into the action for the correct amount of time. A middy has shorter dwell than a carbine gas setup on a 16" barrel, again leading to less stress on parts.

H

That seems to be the consensus among guys here much more knowledgeable than myself. Basically, 14.5" for carbine length gas systems and 16" for middy gas systems is the ideal setup for reliable, soft shooting operation that is not overly harsh on parts. I would not necessarily stick to one gas system just because your other guns are that same gas system. All parts would be interchangeable except for the barrel and gas tube, as far as I know. In my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, the gas system should be more or less matched to the barrel length, so 14.5" and shorter gets carbine, 16" gets mid-length, and 18" or longer more than likely a rifle length system, although I have read of some issues with rifle length gas systems but can't speak with any authority on the subject.

Of course, people (including yourself) have been running 16" carbine systems with heavy buffers for a long time, and they seem to work just fine, although by effectively using a heavier buffer as a band-aid you can sometimes end up limiting the range of ammo the weapon can cycle reliably.

Ark1443
09-01-13, 11:19
I have a mid-length & a lightweight carbine length 6720, and my vote would be to go with the lightweight. I simply love the feel & balance of it, and I'm sure she would be able to tell the difference as well!

OneAsterisks
09-02-13, 00:42
In your situation, I would get the LW 16" middy, like this one. (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-16lw%20std.htm) I didn't see if you specified a gas system, but the middy should shoot a little softer for her and be easier on parts.

Yeah, this is the one im ordering.

Thanks all for the feedback!