PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for learning a useful trade/hobby

feedramp
09-01-13, 00:38
Something that comes up from time to time in certain circles is the concept of "learning a useful trade". i.e., something that doesn't involve computers or technology and will be of some value regardless of location or situation, such that it can provide a means of income for oneself and potentially one's family.

But what sort of "useful trades" are feasible for an urban or suburban person to learn?

It's not like farming or hunting are practical for them, so what are some suggestions for the average joe who doesn't own or have access to a bunch of land or lacks the space for large-scale ventures like metal working or carpentry, and is feasible for the average person to learn (i.e., training tools, courses or resources are readily available, it does not require a massive investment, and it's a skill that can be appreciably learned, if generally not mastered, within a reasonable timeframe)?

Grand58742
09-01-13, 01:10
Something that comes up from time to time in certain circles is the concept of "learning a useful trade". i.e., something that doesn't involve computers or technology and will be of some value regardless of location or situation, such that it can provide a means of income for oneself and potentially one's family.

But what sort of "useful trades" are feasible for an urban or suburban person to learn?

It's not like farming or hunting are practical for them, so what are some suggestions for the average joe who doesn't own or have access to a bunch of land or lacks the space for large-scale ventures like metal working or carpentry, and is feasible for the average person to learn (i.e., training tools, courses or resources are readily available, it does not require a massive investment, and it's a skill that can be appreciably learned, if generally not mastered, within a reasonable timeframe)?

Plumbing is a trade that can be learned somewhat quickly. And generally a high demand profession. Schools, tools and licensing can cost you a bit up front, but generally speaking, can be made back fairly quickly.

Lawn services has a decent front end expenditure, but can also be recovered reasonably quickly. Unfortunately, it's seasonal and breaking into the system might not be easy depending on location. You can often offset this by adding in landscaping which can be done in the winter months, but that's another world and can require a certification.

Depending on your location, a home inspector can be somewhat easy to get into. In certain States the licensing requirements are ridiculously easy to get so that could be something to look into. And with folks always buying and selling homes, the demand is there.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

SteyrAUG
09-01-13, 01:22
I'd suggest the ability for "fend for yourself" if it's ever needed.

Admittedly it's a tricky skill to master in an urban environment.

fixit69
09-01-13, 01:23
I don't know about "useful", but welding and woodworking come to mind as sometimes no matter where you are these can come in handy.

Also, think about the real world where you live. What would you be able to use and make money with if you need to. That differs from state to state and city to city.

SteyrAUG
09-01-13, 03:13
I'd also stress home maintenance and repair. Not having to call somebody and pay $100 for them to show up and then $40 for each hour has saved me quite a bit of money.

Ryno12
09-01-13, 07:12
I agree with Steyr, just being "well rounded" can serve you pretty well. Just having basic knowledge of electrical, carpentry, plumbing, pipe fitting, etc. gets you a leg up on many people & benefits you not only abroad but at home as well.
My job requires me to perform or work with most trades almost daily. The one I find that involves the most knowledge of individual skills is HVAC/R. From PLCs, computer & networking skills on high end control systems to plumbing & electrical on GEO systems. I also generally see it as being one of the cleaner trades. You're not usually getting filthy on a daily basis. Another thing is that most people need it. People need refrigeration, they need heat, they need air conditioning. Obviously, the degree at which they need it changes geographically. You can also choose to be more specialized within the field if having such a broad skill set doesn't interest you. It also pays well but that may vary on depending on skills & location. The bummer is that nothing breaks when it's 70*. Depending on your location, you may be working in -20 or 110 degrees. Also, depending on your duties, it may not be a 9-5 job. Systems can fail 24/7. It's a big industry, you can pick the level you're comfortable with & start from there. You choose to know as little or as much as you want, however, your pay & demand will reflect that.

Good luck.

Sent via Tapatalk

sewvacman
09-01-13, 07:27
Sewing machine repairman.
The shit goes down and everyone who owns clothes will owe you a chicken. There aren't many of us around any more but I make a decent living doing it and have for over 30 years. It's not something you can learn quickly though, for example I am still learning. Very little competition but very hard to get someone to teach it to you.

Safetyhit
09-01-13, 10:33
Sewing machine repairman.

You know, I was just going to suggest the same. Can't believe I got beat on it.

Just a good natured joke, please don't take offense. :D

OP personally I'd suggest obtaining your real estate license while monitoring the housing market around you. Normally not expensive and you can hang your license with an inexpensive broker, reducing reoccurring costs as much as possible. Also think of who you know with money and who is willing to consider a good investment should you find it for them.

You never know what might come of it and you can have a full-time job at the same time, as it will only take up as much time as you want it to for the most part.

montanadave
09-01-13, 10:44
Here's a crazy notion totally out of left field. What about gunsmithing?

OP: Are you looking for a trade/skill which would provide an alternative or supplemental income in the event of a prolonged recession/loss of current job or are you thinking about something that would be a marketable skill in a more SHTF-type scenario?

T2C
09-01-13, 11:19
Heating and Air Conditioning is in demand in my area. If I were starting out again, I would consider attending a trade school to learn HVAC.

SteyrAUG
09-01-13, 13:19

Dead field.

Everyone and their mother goes to youtube to learn how to fix their AR. And if it's something they can't fix that requires advanced skills of a master gunsmith, they have expectations of paying no more than $8 an hour.

It's the second most unrewarded advanced skill right under IT guys.

murphy j
09-01-13, 13:41
Heating and Air Conditioning is in demand in my area. If I were starting out again, I would consider attending a trade school to learn HVAC.

I think HVAC is in demand just about everywhere. I opted to OJT as an Electrician when I left Active Duty in 97. It's never been a problem for me to find a job, but there's no longer quite the demand as there is for HVAC guys. I've decided to switch fields and will start working on my general education requirements next week. I've decided to follow a passion of mine and become a Watchmaker. The program I will enter in January 2015 is industry supported and has a %100 placement rate.

Tzed250
09-01-13, 18:05
Best move I made was going to tech school to become a machinist. Never to late to re-invent yourself.

SeriousStudent
09-01-13, 18:42

It's the second most unrewarded advanced skill right under IT guys.

I will personally attest to that. You'd better have some cutting edge computer fu to make a good living these days.

lunchbox
09-01-13, 20:39
Best move I made was going to tech school to become a machinist. Never to late to re-invent yourself.Same here, did it all: framing & hanging, carpentry, Hvac (hated this, worked under houses with the snakes and spiders:mad: service tec. wasn't so bad). I was thinking about going into gunsmith school and local gunsmith (amongst others) talked me out of it and in to the shop. EDIT** As for hobby I like to take silver coins and make rings out of them. PDF http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.shaw.ca%2Fjohn_edmonton%2FHowtomakeaCoinRings%255B2%255D.pdf&ei=PO0jUoXBJvSqsAScn4CQDA&usg=AFQjCNEuvtwt_1PndyHTKXveoEctvp_SPQ

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmake-guide-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fguide_2272_en.pdf&ei=PO0jUoXBJvSqsAScn4CQDA&usg=AFQjCNGQK3FnzJUHJWjU4HaTDHWHf5xs6g

Vid on some guy doin it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atko80Gy2VU

Theres a couple guys selling these on Ebay for outrageous prices, lots of people have interesting ways to sup their income. BTW I found out about this one year looking for prez for wife on the cheap.

feedramp
09-01-13, 22:24
OP: Are you looking for a trade/skill which would provide an alternative or supplemental income in the event of a prolonged recession/loss of current job or are you thinking about something that would be a marketable skill in a more SHTF-type scenario?

Great question! Both, actually. And happy to see the thread meander to cover either or both.

C-grunt
09-01-13, 23:10
My uncle runs a family business that he inherited from his father. HVAC.

He said people will ways need AC, heat and water.

lunchbox
09-01-13, 23:30
My uncle runs a family business that he inherited from his father. HVAC.

He said people will ways need AC, heat and water.You are 100% correct about that (might have been a little hard on Hvac) People open up that checkbook real quick, when its 100 deg. and broke AC. Add in pissed wife and hot/sweaty/stinky cryin kids, their liable to leave check blank..

feedramp
09-14-13, 01:24
The first part of this interview seemed relevant to share here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-hTffVyB9U

lunchbox
09-14-13, 02:04
I heard somewhere less than 20% of people go it fields they have degree in. I hate to say it some degrees are slightly more advanced H.S. exit exam. But if you don't have a little degree (piece of paper that says "Can Read") your behind or below the bell curve. Sad but true....And on side point; the running joke for female college students is their spending 100,000 of daddy's money to get husband and BS degree. I agree with a lot of what prev vid said, I know of a couple people that are completely useless and gonna get someone else hurt.

C4IGrant
09-14-13, 09:01

I think we have to figure out which two scenarios we are talking about. Total shut down of the WORLD (EMP blast, nuclear war, etc). Or fallen economy, no work and the US becomes a third world country.

In the first scenario there is no electricity, no internet, etc.. Small groups of people will come together for protection and need various skills. Knowing how to make guns work (all guns) will be of GREAT value.

In the second scenario, being a gunsmith might be not be the best skill to have. It certainly wouldn't hurt though.

Becoming a certified armorer is pretty easy (and cheap) for folks to become. From there, practice what you learn and expand your knowledge. Then, see if you can find a professional gunsmith in your area and see if they are hiring an assistant. If not, volunteer your time for FREE in order to learn a new skill. A lot of companies won't turn down free help. ;)

C4

Gutshot John
09-14-13, 09:07
Carpentry.

montanadave
09-14-13, 09:35
With hunting season just around the corner, another possibility comes to mind. Butchering and processing game meat, making sausage, jerky, etc.

SilverBullet432
09-14-13, 13:39
im studying to be an I&C tech (instrumentation & control). plants have instruments everywhere, and they need to be controlled :D also, those pumpjacks wont program themselves you know!

Raven Armament
09-14-13, 14:02
With hunting season just around the corner, another possibility comes to mind. Butchering and processing game meat, making sausage, jerky, etc.
Yup. It surprises me how many hunters won't butcher their own deer.

Knowing basics of electricity, plumbing, carpentry, welding are really good skills to have. I had to rewire my entire house when I bought it. Father in law showed me how and gave me a hand. Learned a lot and saved thousands of dollars.

a1fabweld
09-15-13, 08:51
Welding is a great trade regardless of season or economy. I opened my welding business 10 years ago. I do shop work & have a rig set up to do field work. Even through the bad economy in the last decade, my business continued to maintain or grow each year. In a good economy you fabricate new stuff. In a bad economy you see more demand for repairs. I read an article a few years back which listed the top 10 trades/businesses during the "Recession" & welding was one of them. It's not for everybody though. If you're a white collar guy who doesn't like to get dirty, it's probably not for you.