PDA

View Full Version : House of Cards...Holy Crap - Watch It...

SteyrAUG
09-01-13, 03:10
It's a Netflix produced series so you can get it streaming or on DVD. If you don't have Netflix you can buy the DVD set.

http://www.amazon.com/House-Cards-Complete-First-Season/dp/B00BC5I6Q2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378022623&sr=8-1&keywords=house+of+cards

It's a lot like watching the Soprano's, you know these are bad people, you know you aren't supposed to like them, but the series is so well written and produced you get sucked in anyway.

The Good News: The Democrats aren't the good guys, the Republicans aren't the bad guys - they are all slimeballs who set each other up and screw each other over regardless of what side of the aisle they are sitting on.

The Bad News: It seems pretty damn accurate and it's a depressing yet enlightening look at government and probably closer to the real thing than anyone wants to realize.

Bonus: It's got the hot chick from Shooter in it and yes she is naked a few times.

I typically enjoy well made HBO, Starz, Showtime production films and series but only in rare cases (Band of Brothers) am I blown away by them. I also typically do NOT care for political dramas, I hate that crap as much as all the CSI type shows and reality TV.

But this one is truly impressive. It will cost you your faith in humanity, but it's a small price to pay.

bluejackets92fs
09-01-13, 03:13
Nevermind. Researched and my post was about the wrong show.

Hmac
09-01-13, 04:29
I agree House of Cards is really an excellent show. The acting is top notch and characters are totally believable. Kevin Spacey in particular is brilliant. This show will not make you feel any less suspicious of your congressional representatives.

Netflix is an interesting (and kind of groundbreaking) choice of venue for such a show. I don't have a Netflix account so I've been watching it streamed from Amazon Prime which I find mildly glitchy, but this show is as good as any of the top shows on cable, and I include Sopranos, The Shield, Dexter, The Bridge, and even Breaking Bad.

austinN4
09-01-13, 07:18
House of Cards is very, very good. I don't watch broadcast or streaming, so I only watch the DVD's of the entire season of a show when they are released. Can hardly wait to see season 2.

Other series I follow are:

Justified - season 3 released 1/13
Homeland - season 2 releases 9/13
The Walking Dead, although I am starting to get bored with it - season 3 releases 9/13
Newsroom - season 2 unknown
The Killing - season 2 unknown

_Stormin_
09-01-13, 15:47
House of Cards is a wonderful series. I went through the entire thing in a couple of days when it was released. Now just waiting on the next season.

ggammell
09-01-13, 16:29
2nd season is in production now.

sadmin
09-01-13, 17:02
Good to know, thanks I'm looking for a new show to watch. the Killing that was on AMC was really good, especially the 3rd season. Ill check out HOC.

Honu
03-20-15, 02:41
so who watched the latest season ?

and what are you thinking :)

still liking the show myself

austinN4
03-20-15, 02:53
I loved season 1 but couldn't get into 2 and stopped watching it.

Moose-Knuckle
03-20-15, 03:13
Not into it, is the UK version better than the US version? IIRC like many US shows the UK version was the original.

Honu
03-20-15, 06:23
did not know there was a UK version ?

still like other shows better like justfied etc.....
to me vikings is getting a bit to stupid sadly and they are trying IMHO to make the characters to strange

also still liking hell on wheels a lot and unless it was cancelled ? waiting for this coming season

been watching more netflix stuff recently since we cut cable last year just watched that WWI show about the 14 diaries and really enjoyed it

ggammell
03-20-15, 07:52
The UK version is about 20 odd years old and its a miniseries as far as I can tell. PBS carried it a few months ago. I'm not sure if it's still available or not. 4 two hour episodes.

skijunkie55
03-20-15, 08:41
I'm about half way through season 3 right now. They blocked netflix at work so it's slow going for me :p

sevenhelmet
03-20-15, 09:46
Halfway through season 2. Great show. I find that like Dexter and Breaking Bad, it isn't healthy to watch more than 3 episodes in a row though. :p

Onyx Z
03-20-15, 11:58
Does it get better later on? I watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and I couldn't get into it...

Honu
03-20-15, 12:03
have to look into that thanks :)

The UK version is about 20 odd years old and its a miniseries as far as I can tell. PBS carried it a few months ago. I'm not sure if it's still available or not. 4 two hour episodes.

sevenhelmet
03-20-15, 12:03
Does it get better later on? I watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and I couldn't get into it...

Yeah, it does. I wasn't really hooked until about halfway through season 1.

Honu
03-20-15, 12:05
hard to say everyone has dif taste :) ? I might say watch one more if it does not get ya lots of other great shows
for me its the quirky way its done and the fact that I am sure how some politics really are which is actually kinda upsetting in a real way ?

BBossman
03-20-15, 12:08
Its pretty entertaining, I've seen all three seasons. Its less about actual political ideals and more about the seamy underbelly of top level politics. The main character Francis Underwood is a Democrat, but for the lack of a political agenda by the writers/producers, he could easily be a Republican.

ETA: Some of the best parts are when Frank talks directly to the viewer (you) and I normally hate that shit.

skijunkie55
03-20-15, 12:20
It doesn't get "good" until several episodes in as there is a lot of character back story to go through. That being said, it does get pretty devious later on. Would recommend you continue watching.

SteyrAUG
03-20-15, 14:12
Not into it, is the UK version better than the US version? IIRC like many US shows the UK version was the original.

I think the US version is better.

Turnkey11
03-20-15, 14:29
Im in the middle of season 3, I received the other two season in a DVD set last Christmas and was hooked.

Artos
03-20-15, 16:51
Not one to spend a ton of time in front of the tube, but this is great...Spacey is suburb & one of the better actors out there. Wife & I are hooked & we dig the appearant snide political jabs at our elected officials.

"What are you looking at..."

Only fail has been no more Kate Mara...gotta start at the 1st series.

Big A
03-20-15, 17:09
If this dude were a Sith he'd make Palpatine his bitch:
https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/frank-underwood-5.jpg

chuckman
03-21-15, 07:22
When I was in college back in the stone age I was a poli sci major. One of my friends, also a poli sci major, went on to work for the late, great Jesse helms (R-NC). He has been in and out of DC and has had some pretty remarkable posts. A couple years ago I asked about the show in one of our three-times-a-year emails, he said that the political stuff is pretty damned accurate; the behind-the-doors stuff is how stuff happens in DC. I like the show but have not seen the past season.

BBossman
03-21-15, 08:12
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/4d2662b6-8880-427c-9030-4f1dc720f4ef_zpsmzobeicc.jpg