PDA

View Full Version : Yes, another plated bullets thread.

SWThomas
09-01-13, 10:03
I have a few concerns about plated bullets. I bought some Berry's Preferred plated bullets in small quantities to try out. I got them in 115g 9MM and 165g 40/10. I'll be shooting these out of a Glock19 (9MM) and a Springfield XDM (40S&W). I usually shoot FMJ bullets for targets and have my dies set for them.

Right now the powder die is set for a 0.01 flare on the case mouth. Am I going to have to open that up more for the plated bullets? Also, am I going to have any issues shooting the 9MM plated bullets out of my G19? I know cast bullets are a no no in Glocks.

Basically I'm looking for a cheaper way to reload my practice rounds without going to lead cast bullets.

I already know the charge data will be different for plated bullets VS FMJs.

m1a_scoutguy
09-01-13, 10:50
Best way to see is just check it !! I use Berry's in my 45,,,and I always "check" the flare whenever I switch bullets,,its the safe thing to do !! I think the Berry's are quality bullets & don't worry to much about the jacketed/plated bullet thing,,Berry's has velocity recommendations for there bullets,,so stay within those areas and you should be GTG. If ya can't find specific info,,,just use the jacketed info and reduce the load a bit,,I never shoot full power loads anyways,,but I guess that the individuals choice !! Also,,,I have never heard about issues with plated bullets out of Glocks,,so it should be OK,,but as with everything,,load,,look,,check,,etc !!! But then,,I have shot thousands of lead reloads out of my Glock with 0 problems & a buddy that has shot 100 times that,,but don't tell anyone !! :eek:

Bimmer
09-01-13, 22:38
I know cast bullets are a no no in Glocks.

Huh?

I have shot thousands of lead reloads out of my Glock with 0 problems...

Me, too...

vicious_cb
09-01-13, 23:14
I have a few concerns about plated bullets. I bought some Berry's Preferred plated bullets in small quantities to try out. I got them in 115g 9MM and 165g 40/10. I'll be shooting these out of a Glock19 (9MM) and a Springfield XDM (40S&W). I usually shoot FMJ bullets for targets and have my dies set for them.

Right now the powder die is set for a 0.001 flare on the case mouth. Am I going to have to open that up more for the plated bullets? Also, am I going to have any issues shooting the 9MM plated bullets out of my G19? I know cast bullets are a no no in Glocks.

Basically I'm looking for a cheaper way to reload my practice rounds without going to lead cast bullets.

What does it matter as long as the sits upright enough for you to seat the bullet? If it doesnt sit correctly open the case mouth a bit larger.

lunchbox
09-01-13, 23:23

Right now the powder die is set for a 0.001 flare on the case mouth. Am I going to have to open that up more for the plated bullets? Also, am I going to have any issues shooting the 9MM plated bullets out of my G19? I know cast bullets are a no no in Glocks.

I already know the charge data will be different for plated bullets VS FMJs.I have always heard this too, Polygonal barrel has been blamed. I was always curious about this. Is it due to bad smelting/lead vs some that say have had success with cast boolits. My little reloading knowledge is none-existent with casting and all there in.

RearwardAssist
09-01-13, 23:45
I have always heard this too, Polygonal barrel has been blamed. I was always curious about this. Is it due to bad smelting/lead vs some that say have had success with cast boolits. My little reloading knowledge is none-existent with casting and all there in.

No its not bad smelting or poor quality the lead deposits quickly on this type of rifling. you can shoot lead from a glock but need to adress the leading issue with smaller cleaning intervals I have heard people as low as 200 rounds.

To the op yes you may need to flare a slight bit more but the only way to know is checking it. no you won't have the same issues of leading the barrel with plated bulletes. For loads you should be able to use use mid range fmj loads I believe under 1250~ fps is what the mfg reccomends.

lunchbox
09-02-13, 01:44
No its not bad smelting or poor quality the lead deposits quickly on this type of rifling. you can shoot lead from a glock but need to adress the leading issue with smaller cleaning intervals I have heard people as low as 200 rounds.
.Thanks for clearing that up.

09-02-13, 07:52
[QUOTE=RearwardAssist;1736228]No its not bad smelting or poor quality the lead deposits quickly on this type of rifling. you can shoot lead from a glock but need to adress the leading issue with smaller cleaning intervals I have heard people as low as 200 rounds.

What he said.

One should load plated to lead bullet velocity. I have had mixed results with plated bullets. The Berrys I had shot well in an HK but keyholed in my CZ at short range even!

m1a_scoutguy
09-02-13, 11:06

To the op yes you may need to flare a slight bit more but the only way to know is checking it. no you won't have the same issues of leading the barrel with plated bulletes. For loads you should be able to use use mid range fmj loads I believe under 1250~ fps is what the mfg recommends.

Yes,,it has "everything" to do with the quality and hardness of the bullet,,to Hard is Bad and to soft is bad,,I'm sure that is where some of the issues come from !! I get my bullets from a Local source that has been casting for years & knows his stuff ! Its all about the hardness/lube combo & this guy has it right,,I have shot upwards of 4/500 rds before cleaning,,BBL looks nasty,,but a quick wet patch/brush and it looks very good,,there will be some lead in there,,but nothing crazy,,if I feel like hitting it more with brush and patches,,it normally cleans up pretty easy. When its all said and done,,I wish I could afford plated/jacketed bullets all the time,(that's if ya could find them),but when I can shoot cast for half the price its a simple choice for me.

Bimmer
09-02-13, 11:44
I don't want to hi-jack this thread further, but just to clear up some FUD: in my sample of a my two Glock .40s and many thousands of rounds of cast lead bullets, I've never had any problems letting them go 500-1,000 rounds between cleanings.

Really, I only clean them because the chambers and slides get so grungy after many hundreds of rounds that they'll start short stroking and stove-piping when shooting my underpowered "training" reloads.

I never do anything to the barrels but a little bit of brushing with Hoppes 9 or M-Pro-7, and then I pull a BoreSnake through. Done.

YMMV.

m1a_scoutguy
09-02-13, 13:09
I don't want to hi-jack this thread further, but just to clear up some FUD: in my sample of a my two Glock .40s and many thousands of rounds of cast lead bullets, I've never had any problems letting them go 500-1,000 rounds between cleanings.

Really, I only clean them because the chambers and slides get so grungy after many hundreds of rounds that they'll start short stroking and stove-piping when shooting my underpowered "training" reloads.

I never do anything to the barrels but a little bit of brushing with Hoppes 9 or M-Pro-7, and then I pull a BoreSnake through. Done.

YMMV.

Good point !!!

anachronism
09-02-13, 19:08
Bullet size plays a major part too. Most of the polygonal barrels I've encountered were a bit on the large side diameterwise compared to "normal" grooved barrels, and needed a wee bit more bullet diameter to prevent leading. Some barrels tolerate undersized bullets better than others, so YMMV.

interfan
09-03-13, 00:00

Right now the powder die is set for a 0.01 flare on the case mouth. Am I going to have to open that up more for the plated bullets? Also, am I going to have any issues shooting the 9MM plated bullets out of my G19? I know cast bullets are a no no in Glocks.

Berry's has an FAQ here: http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q13-c1-Is_separation_a_problem_with_Plated_Bullets.aspx and basically you don't want to excessively crimp your case, which isn't bad advice for FMJ, either.

From my own experience with thousands of plated projectiles through Glocks, there is no issue, nor should your die adjustments be any different than your standard adjustments when switching projectiles. Just keep on top of your QC and you're fine. Plated bullets do save some money over some FMJ. Cast is also fine through Glocks, but the local indoor range won't allow cast lead (neither will my wife), so it is a non-starter here.