PDA

View Full Version : SSA trigger is it for me?

Gibsonsrtmed
09-01-13, 10:03
Just a quick question if a geissele SSA trigger is what I want?
Little history on me I have been a SWAT cop for about 4 years now and can sayi have never done more than dri-fire a 2stage trigger.
We run 10.5 SBR that are standard no frills mk18. I have asked our sniper and he described a 2stage as a glock like trigger with light take up until breaking point and then a crisp clean predictable break. The trigger that is in my gun that this is going into has a psa trigger which I will have to say is one of the best triggers out of all my standard single stage triggers no take up and I polished the contact points to I mirror finish nice smooth break. I get bored when I am watching my kids play outside they are to cool to play with dad so i work on my guns. I have tens of thousands of rounds behind a single stage on various AR's and have no real complaints and have several AR's with various different LPK. I hear a lot of pros and cons to 2stage triggers amongst shooters of all different styles and experience levels. I have a friend selling one to me for a good price just don't know if its what I want to buy. The gun this is going on is going to be for carrying on duty when we do woodland ops or I am on perimeter. So I guess it will be used when I have to make a shot at longer ranges than I would with my 10.5. It is ok with my department to carry this gun with this trigger once I qualify with it.

Shoulderthinggoesup
09-01-13, 10:22
I love my SSD (ssa with straight trigger). If you are getting a good price I say buy and try it out a little bit, If you don't like it, it should not be hard to sell for little to no loss.

TBomb
09-01-13, 10:29
I suppose no one can say for sure if it's for you or not until you've shot one a bit and decided for yourself, but I'll throw my hat into the ring anyway. A two stage trigger like the SSA is a pretty good choice because it is not overly light, but will still allow for more precise shots at longer distances due to the nature of the two stage trigger...it is pretty much exactly as you described...predictable take-up, and a very clean break. In an adrenaline-fueled rapid fire scenario, you can instinctively pull through both stages without really having to think about it. If you are going to be fiddling with a trigger for a duty weapon that lives will depend on, Geissele is the only way to go in my admittedly limited opinion. I would not do any polishing, filing, etc. on any trigger for fear of removing the hardening that could result in reliability issues down the road. In any case, the Geissele triggers seem to hold their value fairly well and are always in demand, so you could probably offload it here if you decide it's not for you.

Quiet Riot
09-01-13, 11:01
I can't say that you'll like an SSA better than the trigger you have now, but I like mine. I find it to be a nice dual-purpose trigger that makes precision shooting a little easier without impacting the fast close stuff.

SkipD
09-01-13, 11:36
The Giessele SSA is their recommended trigger for combat use.

My understanding and experience with the Geissele SSA is that if you happen to partially pull the trigger and then decide that you don't really want to shoot, removing your finger from the trigger totally resets the trigger. This is an excellent safety feature in my opinion.

Gibsonsrtmed
09-01-13, 11:59
Thanks for the opinions I guess I'll pick it up and use it during training the next few months.
Another question is for people who have experience is there going to be a noticeable transition between it and my duty rifle

mtdawg169
09-01-13, 12:01
The Giessele SSA is their recommended trigger for combat use.

My understanding and experience with the Geissele SSA is that if you happen to partially pull the trigger and then decide that you don't really want to shoot, removing your finger from the trigger totally resets the trigger. This is an excellent safety feature in my opinion.

This is not how a 2 stage trigger works.

Archer1440
09-01-13, 13:46
Thanks for the opinions I guess I'll pick it up and use it during training the next few months.
Another question is for people who have experience is there going to be a noticeable transition between it and my duty rifle

In my experience and opinion there's a noticeable transition between the SSA and a single-stage AR trigger.

For me, after lots of training with the SSA, it's difficult to go back to the ordinary triggers on my other AR's. I even noticed an issue after extensively shooting the SSA in my 6920 and transitioning to my sidearm, a Springfield Professional 1911 with an exceptionally good, single action trigger. Had to work at it a bit!

Obviously a plot by Geissele to make me purchase three more SSA's for my other AR's.

nml
09-01-13, 14:01
SSA/SSF is perfect for woodland ops. This is also a cheaper version http://geissele.com/geissele2stage-2.aspx

Pull weight is reduced from a standard trigger

halfmoonclip
09-01-13, 14:43
If there is a fault with the SSA it is the ever-upward price.
It is hard to transition to another AR trigger after becoming accustomed to the SSA; they end up multiplying in the safe, to the detriment of your bank account.
It's a super trigger, well reflected in the posts above.
Moon

ggammell
09-01-13, 16:28
Can I get a quick explanation on how the SSA differs from a mil spec? I'm only familiar with the latter.

TBomb
09-01-13, 16:50
Can I get a quick explanation on how the SSA differs from a mil spec? I'm only familiar with the latter.

The SSA is designed and machined from the ground up to be a two stage trigger with a very smooth takeup, crisp break, and a lighter pull weight while utilizing full strength hammer springs. The "mil spec" trigger is a single stage with a heavier pull weight.

Race121
09-01-13, 16:53
I can't add much from a technical standpoint but I installed an SSA in a new 6920 at about the 2,000 rd point on the factory trigger. Completely, 100% impressed and satisfied. Great feel, control, consistency and predictability. Felt like I had 1000's of rds experience w/that trigger before I finished that first mag.

As for an explaination, in my limited experience, I found the factory trigger a bit gritty and lacking in "feel" or sensitivity to when the hammer was going to release. With the Geissele there is no doubt or lack of feel for where you're at in the firing cycle.

On top of that, when you see it before install, you know you're looking at an American engineered work of art.

WNY_Whitetailer
09-01-13, 19:15
I swear that I'm going to buy an SSA or SSA-E one of these days...I want one for my ARP 6.8...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

WS6
09-01-13, 21:37
I prefer Geissele's single stage combat trigger better. You want an SSA, ill sell you a lightly used one (500ish rounds) and replace it with what I prefer.

BoringGuy45
09-01-13, 23:33
For years, a popular opinion was that double stage triggers were fragile, had too many factors to worry about, and just did not have the simplicity to be used in a standard combat rifle. Target or sniper rifle? Absolutely, but not for your average rifleman.

Geissele really made a two stage trigger that was crisp and light like a precision trigger, but simple and easy to use and maintain like a single stage. It is an expensive piece of hardware, but I have no regrets in buying it.

Race121
09-02-13, 00:38
I think part of that negative 2 stage reputation was a result of lighter hammer spring tension resulting in breaks and light primer strikes. The SSA uses the same spring strength/tension as a standard factory single stage. I know Mr. Geissele mentions this on the SSA install video. Yeah, a bit pricey but I've pissed away $200 bucks many times over in my life with nothing to show for it. That trigger was $ well spent.

halfmoonclip
09-02-13, 09:47
Just to reiterate some of the already noted points:
-the SSA is apparently based on a select-fire version that has a solid track record in actual combat
-it is simple to install, with nothing to adjust when done
-it can be 'squeezed' for a precision shot or 'slapped' for lead-in-the-air-right-now shot
-as good and clean as the trigger break is, there are no adjustments to make nor anything to come out of adjustment
And, as an answer to an above post, taking up half the trigger travel (the 'first stage') and then releasing it allows the trigger to return to its original position. Nothing else needs to be done; fire it normally next time.
While I have no experience with it, the noted G2S may give the SSA's benefits while saving some money.
Moon