PDA

View Full Version : I thought you're not supposed to charge plated bullets as much...

SWThomas
09-01-13, 12:17
I use Ramshot Silhouette for my 9MM and 40S&W loads and am switching from FMJs to plated bullets to save money. I was checking out Ramshot's load data on their website and found something interesting...

The starting charge for 9MM 115g FMJ is 4.6g and the max is 5.7g.

The starting data for a plated bullet of the same weight is 5.2 and the max is 6.2.

The starting charge for 40S&W 165g JHP is 5.9g and the max is 6.9g.

But the starting data for a plated bullet of the same weight is 6.1g and the max is 7.2g.

So what gives? I thought you aren't supposed to push plated bullets as fast as jacketed bullets???

shootist~
09-01-13, 12:48
And it might be completely different with a different brand of jacketed bullet or a different brand of plated/coated bullet. Bullet shape and OD are a couple of things that can come into play - along with when and what equipment and/or powder lots were used in the specific testing.

Using more than one manual is never a bad plan.

Tzed250
09-01-13, 17:56
The load data I have found for plated bullets shows them below jacketed velocities.

SWThomas
09-01-13, 18:03
Apparently Hodgdon data also shows plated bullets with larger powder charges than jacketed.

danpass
09-01-13, 18:06
RMR specifically states using jacketed data for their plated bullets. So, yeah, it seems to be manuf specific.

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/product.sc?productId=32&categoryId=12

I use these in my G19 without issue.

interfan
09-01-13, 18:49
RMR specifically states using jacketed data for their plated bullets. So, yeah, it seems to be manuf specific.

http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/product.sc?productId=32&categoryId=12

I use these in my G19 without issue.

Yep, I use the 124gr ones at FMJ loads, too. Never a problem. RMR is fine at full load, where some others say reduce loads.

If you don't know what your projectile manufacturer recommends, start at the upper end of the middle range for cast lead projectiles and work up from there. It is always easier to work up a load than to deal with possible consequences of way too hot a load.

davestarbuck
09-02-13, 07:09
Just use the same powder charge that you use with regular fmj bullets. I use Silhouette as well and I don't think I've changed the powder measure in 4 years or more 115 gr and 124 gr,plated,lead,coated lead, and regular fmj bullets all get 6 gr of powder. So far I've loaded near 50 k without any problems.

T2C
09-02-13, 09:21
Just use the same powder charge that you use with regular fmj bullets. I use Silhouette as well and I don't think I've changed the powder measure in 4 years or more 115 gr and 124 gr,plated,lead,coated lead, and regular fmj bullets all get 6 gr of powder. So far I've loaded near 50 k without any problems.

What kind of accuracy are you seeing at 25 meters?

davestarbuck
09-04-13, 06:34
At 25 yards I can get 7 shots conisisanty in a 5.5 inch pistol bull. I can ping 8"x10" steel plates out to 100 yards with no problems at all as well. My Glocks aren't target guns and I'm not a bullseye shooter!