PDA

View Full Version : V7 Weapon Systems

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cincinnatus
09-01-13, 17:44
This new company looks interesting. Joel, (worked at Noveske for years and ran the N6 program aswell as day-to-day operations) is the proprietor. I think it is also based in Grant's Pass.
http://v7weaponsystems.com/

Cylinder Head
09-01-13, 17:53
$140 for a mil-spec buffer tube? I like the bolt with a lifetime warranty, but AR parts companies tend to come and go.

og556
09-01-13, 19:09
Joel is a really good guy. I dealt with him a few times with minor issues and concerns and he always went above and beyond to help me out.

I would love to know if the bolts he offers are HPT/MPI on his site. I'll shoot him an email when I get a chance and relay that info back here.

Dead Man
09-01-13, 19:24
$140 for a mil-spec buffer tube? I like the bolt with a lifetime warranty, but AR parts companies tend to come and go.

I inhaled a little coffee when I scrolled past that one. They definitely need to go back and include their justification.

I'm sort of surprised to see anyone using any variation of "Vulcan" in their AR manufacturing name. I assume and hope they're unrelated?

F-Trooper05
09-01-13, 19:32
"The Guns That Win WWIII."

That slogan is straight up fire! The AR industry just got it's dick kicked in.

Toddler
09-01-13, 21:25
Is that buffer tube steel rather aluminum? Dealt with Joel a couple of times and was he was cool. He sold me a Noveske MUR over a year ago before they were available for purchase. Best of luck to Joel and God bless.

1911-A1
09-01-13, 22:14
I don't understand why this was developed.

http://static.squarespace.com/static/51ae55c5e4b0aef714802225/51ae62ffe4b03235c8d51240/51dc6f57e4b03ebab8c62267/1373400931465/1.jpg?format=750w

It seems to me that offset irons make this mount obsolete. They're lighter, allow for proper cheekweld and don't require a riser to use.

Badger89
09-01-13, 23:23
I inhaled a little coffee when I scrolled past that one. They definitely need to go back and include their justification.
The buffer tubes appear to be constructed from 4140 CMV rather than 7075-T6 aluminum, and melonite treated instead of hard anodized. I still don't see how that justifies a price tag nearly 3x higher than the Vltor A5... Is there a ravaging need for steel buffer tubes that I'm not aware off?

Cylinder Head
09-02-13, 00:58
The buffer tubes appear to be constructed from 4140 CMV rather than 7075-T6 aluminum, and melonite treated instead of hard anodized. I still don't see how that justifies a price tag nearly 3x higher than the Vltor A5... Is there a ravaging need for steel buffer tubes that I'm not aware off?

Maybe if you regularly use your rifle's buttstock to knock down doors but otherwise search me.

Dead Man
09-02-13, 01:09
I'd be interested to know the reason/application... it's going to be three times the weight, and I can't say I've ever seen or even heard about a receiver extension breaking in the field.

BH321
09-02-13, 01:18
Maybe if you regularly use your rifle's buttstock to knock down doors but otherwise search me.

If you're bashing in doors with your buttstock, then it's highly likely that your buttstock will break long before your receiver extension does.

EzGoingKev
12-02-13, 18:43
Anyone try any of their parts yet?

jerrysimons
12-02-13, 20:14
I bought their ultralight alloy castle nut and end plate combo (no kidding .4oz for combined) as well as their titanium pins (.3oz) for my ultralight build. Over the vltor castle nut (.65oz), Noveske QD end plate (.55oz) and standard pins (.5oz) I will save 1oz (.7oz vs. 1.7oz).

I am quite excited for their new mag catch and port door as well.

When BCM finally gets around to releasing the KMR rails I will put it all together and post it up!

Matt at JTT reviewed these items https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/10/30/review-v7-weapon-systems-qd-endplate-and-lightweight-castle-nut/

burgeman
12-02-13, 22:03
I bought their ultralight alloy castle nut and end plate combo (no kidding .4oz for combined) as well as their titanium pins (.3oz) for my ultralight build. Over the vltor castle nut (.65oz), Noveske QD end plate (.55oz) and standard pins (.5oz) I will save 1oz (.7oz vs. 1.7oz).

I am quite excited for their new mag catch and port door as well.

When BCM finally gets around to releasing the KMR rails I will put it all together and post it up!

Matt at JTT reviewed these items https://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/10/30/review-v7-weapon-systems-qd-endplate-and-lightweight-castle-nut/

I plan on doing the same kind of build and have my parts laid out. Glad to see the claims of lightweight are actually true. I just need to find a good lightweight barrel and I am set. Anyway have a recommendation on that front? I have been leaning towards just getting a BCM lightweight barrel.

jerrysimons
12-02-13, 22:15
Yeah I weighed all the parts and they matched exactly as claimed. The end plate and nut are each .2oz.
I am excited to add their mag catch and port door also.

BCM has said they are releasing the KMR on complete uppers first, you may want to go that route. I would recommend DD and BCM lightweights, Colt's 16" 6720 barrel too if you can find one, and of coarse Noveske's skinny barrel if you want 14.5". Can't go wrong with any of them, my preference is with Noveske's though.

Shao
12-03-13, 11:04
Not impressed... Fortis already makes an aluminum QD end plate and I don't know if I trust an aluminum castle nut just to shave fractions of an ounce off. Titanium takedown/pivot pins? Great idea - but anodize them black so that they match most guns. Plus it's not like takedown pins weigh anything. Even if you went with their full lightweight selection of parts your barely shaving anything off of your rifle, but you'll end up spending like $200. Cool concept though and I applaud them for bringing something new to the market to appease all of the ultra-lightweight fanatics out there. I do like the lightweight ejection port cover though. It looks nice.

jerrysimons
12-03-13, 11:38
Tenths of ounces here and there and everywhere add up quickly. Decked out with optic, sights and light my rifle already only weighs 6lbs before BCMs new rail.
Yeah, it is expensive but it satisfys my obsessive twitch. Is it wholly unnecessary and borderline diminishing returns, yep ;)

The castle nut is an aluminum alloy, 30% stronger than 7075.

Swag
12-03-13, 12:13
Those pins seem like a decent idea...

burgeman
12-03-13, 12:33
What kind of sights and light did you go with?

Iraqgunz
12-03-13, 14:09
More people could lighten the load simply by planning a good gun from the start rather than modifying it 100 times. Most of us here (msyelf included) are not going to notice the few extra ounces of weight to be quite honest. Especially not something as small as pivot/ take down pins.

Tenths of ounces here and there and everywhere add up quickly. Decked out with optic, sights and light my rifle already only weighs 6lbs before BCMs new rail.
Yeah, it is expensive but it satisfys my obsessive twitch. Is it wholly unnecessary and borderline diminishing returns, yep ;)

The castle nut is an aluminum alloy, 30% stronger than 7075.

Dead Man
12-03-13, 14:13
Do we even have any listed weights for these parts to begin with?

jerrysimons
12-04-13, 15:13
I like that other than cost these V7 items are basically free weight savings in terms of function in the weapon system.

I just finished putting together a DDM4v5 LW with more attention to budget than part weights. With optic, sights, and light it weights 8lb2oz (130oz)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/accidentprone86/2FD6DDEC-821E-42AA-8883-40B5735E908A-1909-0000037FC158C8CC_zps0f33ad50.jpg

I sure would rather hump my 6lb (96oz), soon to be sub-6lb, rifle than an 8lb rifle, over any significant distance.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/accidentprone86/4968E214-6627-4438-834E-10454CD99C54-913-000001C1E8AD3341_zps97c0d4e8.jpg

TomMcC
12-04-13, 16:11
The first thing I noticed was the $77 Inconel gas tube. That baby should last forever!

ScatmanCrothers
12-04-13, 20:42
Weight savings is one thing but a product with an actual useful added advantage is much more likely to take my money. But I've had the opportunity to shoot an extremely bare bones 14.5 ~5lb setup before and enjoyed very little about how it handled, so I guess I'm not exactly the target audience here.

I knew going lightweight had it's costs but it looks like cost can't be a concern for those looking to squeeze out those last few fractions.

kevN
12-04-13, 20:48
Cost/benefit just isn't there for me, I'd rather have a good gun and a backup quality upper than sinking a bunch of money into something like this.

jerrysimons
12-04-13, 21:04
Weight savings is one thing but a product with an actual useful added advantage is much more likely to take my money. But I've had the opportunity to shoot an extremely bare bones 14.5 ~5lb setup before and enjoyed very little about how it handled, so I guess I'm not exactly the target audience here.

I knew going lightweight had it's costs but it looks like cost can't be a concern for those looking to squeeze out those last few fractions.

Recoil? Muzzle rise?

eodinert
12-05-13, 02:15
Wanting to try something different, I'm working on a 'superlight' Title I rifle. I bought stuff because of this thread, and am excited about it.

Tokarev
12-21-13, 05:32
AIM Surplus has a 16" medcon V7 for sale. The barrel carries a 1moa guarantee and lifetime warranty.

I contacted Joel to ask about this. He says the warranty is good regardless of firing schedule to include full-auto use.

Tokarev
12-21-13, 09:14
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XVAP16SS&name=V7+16%22+SS+5.56+Barrel+w%2f+pinned+Mid-Length+LPGB&groupid=573

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

jerrysimons
12-21-13, 15:24
AIM Surplus has a 16" medcon V7 for sale. The barrel carries a 1moa guarantee and lifetime warranty.

I contacted Joel to ask about this. He says the warranty is good regardless of firing schedule to include full-auto use.

I wonder if the v7 match chamber is similar to the Noveske Mmod0, otherwise the thing looks identical to a recon barrel... Guaranteed 1 moa is pretty slick!

V7 now has aluminum alloy pins in black, which are lighter still than the bare finish titanium takedown/pivot pins.
http://v7weaponsystems.com/gun-parts/ultra-light-takedownpivot-pin-set

I am waiting on a set to arrive.

EzGoingKev
12-21-13, 15:30
I would be curious to see how the aluminum pins work out.

I would like to see V7 coat their Ti pins black. I wonder about a Ti/Aluminum pin combo.

Right now this stuff is expensive compared to the regular parts but it is great to see someone trying new things and going in the direction they are going. Hopefully more manufacturers will follow suit and light parts like this will become cheaper.

Grip
12-21-13, 16:37
My next build was planned as a lightweight one. I will use some of V7's parts in it.

c3006
12-21-13, 19:03
I like the thought that's went into this stuff,gonna have to give some of it a try.

Tokarev
12-21-13, 21:26
With the focus on all the aluminum and lightweight parts I wonder what he's got planned for future barrels.

jerrysimons
12-22-13, 00:25
Yeah, I am hopping they pull a 1oz Trijicon RMR mount with lower 1/3rd co-witness out of the hat.

It seems Joel's approach to lightweight is to make out of high strength aluminum alloy what is normally made out of steel. The alloy used is claimed %30 stronger than 7075t6 I am curious if the alloy is lighter than 7075 aswell. If so an alloy receiver extension would be in order in my mind.

kwelz
12-22-13, 01:35
Wow... They are pretty proud of their stuff with those prices!

Boss Hogg
12-23-13, 18:56
Wow... They are pretty proud of their stuff with those prices!

Yep. I almost emailed AIM asking if it was a misprint when I saw the pricing on the barrel.

GH41
12-23-13, 19:38
If you don't like their prices don't buy from them! GH

Tokarev
12-23-13, 20:40
Here's a short video of melting gas tubes. Hopefully a similar video showing the strength of the inconel gas tube will be posted soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9y53K4oDU&feature=youtu.be

sinlessorrow
12-23-13, 21:04
Here's a short video of melting gas tubes. Hopefully a similar video showing the strength of the inconel gas tube will be posted soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv9y53K4oDU&feature=youtu.be

Now you can fire your rifle till you melt down your SOCOM barrel! That is simply just not needed.

jerrysimons
12-23-13, 22:37
Yep. I almost emailed AIM asking if it was a misprint when I saw the pricing on the barrel.

It is cheeper than a Noveske recon and nearly identically from what it seems. It also has a pinned gas block.

WS6
12-24-13, 09:26

Doesn't Stag offer the same warranty? It's a gamble that the warranty will sell more barrels than there will be buyers who legitimately shoot them out and take advantage of it, not a measure of the actual durability of the item. Jeep actually offered an unlimited mileage and unlimited time powertrain warranty as standard on the 2010 V8 Grand Jeep Cherokee to the original owner (I know because I'm looking at that year GJC as a replacement vehicle for when I move, I'm not that much of a nerd to randomly know this!).

WS6
12-24-13, 09:28

Or you could just buy a Colt gas tube, but that's not as fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY

Tokarev
12-24-13, 09:30
Of course it is primarily a sales gimmick but it is nice to know they're wanting to stand behind products even in the long term.

WS6
12-24-13, 09:32
Of course it is primarily a sales gimmick but it is nice to know they're wanting to stand behind products even in the long term.

No problem there, just saying that the barrel is not Stellite lined and somehow impervious to wear, as some people might try to infer. As to the gas-tube, it's awkward to video the destruction of another product, and sell your product in the same video clip, without ever showing it subjected to use/abuse.

EzGoingKev
12-24-13, 09:41
Cost/benefit just isn't there for me, I'd rather have a good gun and a backup quality upper than sinking a bunch of money into something like this.

This isn't an attack on you at all, I just happened to catch your post.

What is expensive/cost prohibitive to one person might be nothing to someone else. In another thread in the pistol forum you would think you could buy a home in Florida and retire on what it cost for a Vickers slide/mag release.

jackblack73
12-24-13, 14:22
As to the gas-tube, it's awkward to video the destruction of another product, and sell your product in the same video clip, without ever showing it subjected to use/abuse.
Awkward, and maybe a little bit shady.

kwelz
12-24-13, 14:57
Awkward, and maybe a little bit shady.

Given who is involved I don't think we need to make the assumption that anything is shady.

jackblack73
12-24-13, 15:09
Given who is involved I don't think we need to make the assumption that anything is shady.

I don't know the parties involved, so I apologize if they're known and respected. But that video left me scratching my head. Not very well done and the kind of thing you'd expect to see from someone trying to mislead and deceive.

jerrysimons
12-24-13, 15:16
It is made of iconel, no doubt about it, it will take more heat. I am curious though, just how much heat, in terms of rate of fire and round count. It is not like it matters much anyway, how many of us have full-auto lowers? Nonetheless, I am a fan of overbuilding.

WS6
12-24-13, 18:45
There are unintended consequences. I did not hear of any gas tubes melting during the battle of Wanat, or any others. What in the world CONUS is going to require something stronger than milspec? What are the unintended consequences? How does qpq and those temps affect the inconel and its elasticity?

EzGoingKev
12-24-13, 18:51
How does qpq and those temps affect the inconel and its elasticity?

Please do not over think this. It is a non-stressed part with no moving parts. 99% of the people do not need it.

discreet
12-24-13, 19:23

If I'm not mistaken isn't the man behind v7 one of the founders of Noveske. If so, I'm pretty sure the guy is right up there with Noveske's quality, and considering Noveske barrels run pretty high in cost, and considering v7 is not a large operation yet, the prices probably are set in a way to reflect r&d costs with manufacturing costs.

IMO if it's too pricey buy something else. Same goes for the people that think KAC is over prices. Shit KAC has a 400+ $ muzzle device. Parts sell for what people are willing to pay.

Stickman
12-24-13, 21:37
If I'm not mistaken isn't the man behind v7 one of the founders of Noveske. If so, I'm pretty sure the guy is right up there with Noveske's quality.....

No, he is NOT one of the founders of Noveske. There is NOTHING to claim they are Noveske quality, however, they are using ideas about projects that John Noveske talked with me about before his death. For clarity, I'm not talking about the barrels, I'm talking about some of the secondary parts.

You will have to excuse my level of brevity with this one, but there is more going on here that I don't want to get into. There is a lot of bull being thrown around to bad mouth Johnny, his wife, and the employees of Noveske Rifleworks behind the scenes right now from certain people and I have an exceedingly low tolerance level for it. I want to nip this in the bud before it grows into a total thread of misinformation. If people don't know factually what they are talking about, they should refrain from posting. If this thread was simply about V7, I wouldn't bother to post anything, but it has turned into a different creature.

If mod/ staff have any questions about the above, feel free to contact me, or the SITE OWNER is welcome to contact the GM, owner or President of Noveske Rifleworks if there are questions about my credibility.

Tokarev
12-24-13, 21:53
Here's the info copied from the "about" section of the V7 website. I have no affiliation with the company so I cannot vouch for the veracity of any statements made.

Merry Christmas!

It all started back in 2000 when a young man named John came into Joel's shop for supplies, after recently deciding to start a gunsmithing business in his dad's garage. After one passionate conversation about Christ, country, and guns, an instant brotherhood was forged. The two young men, with wives and babies in tow, were inseparable as they combined forces to take over the world. After countless hours in the shop, blood, sweat, and tears, a legend had been born.

After losing his best friend & brother on January 4, 2013, Joel Allen began a new chapter. One that unfortunately no longer includes Noveske. And so became V7 WEAPON SYSTEMS.

Joel, his wife and a handful of other talented and experienced individuals from the AR-15 industry have been working around the clock to get the foundations laid for a new company in the world of firearms. With V7 WEAPON SYSTEMS now up and running full speed ahead and Mr. Allen's years of experience at the top of the AR industry, the V7 team is excited to start bringing life to his vision of creating quality parts and developing new products for the AR platform.

Our company believes that weapons and their components should be made of the highest quality materials and workmanship. We expect our products to perform exceptionally well for our customers. We design them to be the best in form and function. This is why we offer a 100% lifetime warranty on all parts manufactured by V7 WEAPON SYSTEMS.

WS6
12-24-13, 21:55
Please do not over think this. It is a non-stressed part with no moving parts. 99% of the people do not need it.

...and yet it needs to be made of qpq treated inconel and cost $70+??? I don't believe I'm the one overthinking the gas tube, here. As to qpq, its a thin part and the treatment could cause issues. This is why H&M would not do the decocking and other levers on my p226.

burgeman
12-24-13, 22:22
If I'm not mistaken isn't the man behind v7 one of the founders of Noveske. If so, I'm pretty sure the guy is right up there with Noveske's quality, and considering Noveske barrels run pretty high in cost, and considering v7 is not a large operation yet, the prices probably are set in a way to reflect r&d costs with manufacturing costs.

IMO if it's too pricey buy something else. Same goes for the people that think KAC is over prices. Shit KAC has a 400+ $ muzzle device. Parts sell for what people are willing to pay.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2013/09/05/v7-weapon-systems/

"Do you have a pen and paper? Good. Make a note to keep an eye on V7 Weapon Systems. You may not know them know but you probably know the founder, at least tangentially. Joel Allen of Noveske Rifleworks fame is the man behind V7 Weapons Systems and that alone should inspire some confidence. V7 Weapon Systems is doing some things with AR-15 parts that I have never seen done before and that is pretty exciting."

There is the quote from the jerking the trigger article posted above, I have no idea who Joel Allen is but it does not say he is a founder. I do not know where that rumor came from.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/10/18/v7-weapon-systems-gun-parts-manufacturer/

"Joel Allen, who was the lead tech at Noveske Rifleworks from when John Noveske founded the company up until, has started his own gun parts manufacturing business called V7 Weapon Systems. From the companies about page …

It all started back in 2000 when a young man named John came into Joel’s shop for supplies, after recently deciding to start a gunsmithing business in his dad’s garage. After one passionate conversation about Christ, country, and guns, an instant brotherhood was forged. The two young men, with wives and babies in tow, were inseparable as they combined forces to take over the world. After countless hours in the shop, blood, sweat, and tears, a legend had been born.

After losing his best friend & brother on January 4, 2013, Joel Allen began a new chapter. One that unfortunately no longer includes Noveske. And so became V7 WEAPON SYSTEMS.

Joel, his wife and a handful of other talented and experienced individuals from the AR-15 industry have been working around the clock to get the foundations laid for a new company in the world of firearms. With V7 WEAPON SYSTEMS now up and running full speed ahead and Mr. Allen’s years of experience at the top of the AR industry, the V7 team is excited to start bringing life to his vision of creating quality parts and developing new products for the AR platform.

Our company believes that weapons and their components should be made of the highest quality materials and workmanship. We expect our products to perform exceptionally well for our customers. We design them to be the best in form and function. This is why we offer a 100% lifetime warranty on all parts manufactured by V7 WEAPON SYSTEMS.

The company is making AR bolts, buffer tubes, pivots pins and other parts, apparently with many more to come.

- See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/10/18/v7-weapon-systems-gun-parts-manufacturer/#sthash.DNSDuK3D.dpuf "

Another quote from the firearm blog clarifying he was a lead tech at Noveske not co founder.

Stickman
12-25-13, 00:14
"You may not know them know but you probably know the founder, at least tangentially. Joel Allen of Noveske Rifleworks fame......."

"It all started back in 2000 when a young man named John came into Joel’s shop for supplies, after recently deciding to start a gunsmithing business in his dad’s garage. After one passionate conversation about Christ, country, and guns, an instant brotherhood was forged. The two young men...."

The above is called riding the coat tails of a dead man. I have little use for it, or those who would stoop to such actions. If you want to use the name Noveske, buy the rights to the company. Otherwise the company may be forced to put out a statement talking about why people were released, if it were me, I would do it around the time a cease and desist letter came out. Then again, Mrs. Noveske is a lot nicer than I am.

BufordTJustice
12-25-13, 11:30
With due respect and consideration to you Stick, I did just order an ejection port from them. I'll advise on weight differences between that and a BCM port door.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

WS6
12-25-13, 11:47
About those hokey looking gas-tube tests...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWAs4gVaY7A

...just sayin'.

Tokarev
12-25-13, 11:53
The inconel gas tube appears to be available with and without nitride treatment. I imagine the melonite is for those who want a non-reflective gas tube since any paint or other process would likely burn off after a few mag dumps.

jerrysimons
12-25-13, 12:54
DD TD/PP set: .5oz
BAD EPS: .5oz
Noveske TD/PP set: .55oz

V7 Titanium TD/PP set: .3oz
V7 Alloy TD/PP set: .175oz

Colt mag catch Assembly w/o spring: .35oz

V7 Alum/alloy mag catch assembly w/o spring: .165oz

Vltor steel end plate: .5oz
Noveske steel QD end plate: .5oz
IWC steel QD end plate: .65oz
DD aluminum QD end plate: .23oz

V7 aluminum QD end plate: .18oz

DD steel castle nut: .57oz
Vltor steel castle nut: .65oz

V7 alloy castle nut: .225oz

Brahmzy
12-25-13, 20:06
I ordered a few things from Joel. Talked to him for awhile about the parts too actually.

Same cool guy I talked to countless times when he was with Noveske. Smart guy that knows his stuff.

Until I see otherwise, I'm onboard. I don't think he's out to mislead anybody on anything. If that's the attitude you're going to throw his way, you might as well ask every single other parts manufacturer to close up shop.

jerrysimons
12-25-13, 20:17
Before this thread is locked I should add for anyone curious that the cryogenically treated bolts are individual MPI and are batch HP tested. I asked on the phone about this and that is what was answered.

WS6
12-25-13, 22:56
Aluminum castle-nut and end-plate...and 4140 QPQ'ed buffer tube?

I'm sure the parts are very well executed, but it looks like something to just separate a fool from their money. I cannot see a benefit to anything except the cryogenically treated bolts, potentially.

WS6
12-25-13, 23:02
I ordered a few things from Joel. Talked to him for awhile about the parts too actually.

Same cool guy I talked to countless times when he was with Noveske. Smart guy that knows his stuff.

Until I see otherwise, I'm onboard. I don't think he's out to mislead anybody on anything. If that's the attitude you're going to throw his way, you might as well ask every single other parts manufacturer to close up shop.
That's not the issue, the issue is that it seems to me that Stick is correct in that he took his idea-dump from Noveske, and is riding John Noveske's shirt-tail. I've spoken with the man, as well, and my impression was that he is moody and "does things his way". I am not surprised that he is not at Noveske.

I know absolutely NOTHING about why he was let go, but if someone paid me money for guessing, I'd say he wanted to take the reins and run things in a different direction, and was causing some internal conflicts of interest, and that just wasn't what the new owner was about.

E-man930
12-25-13, 23:37
The inconel gas tube appears to be available with and without nitride treatment. I imagine the melonite is for those who want a non-reflective gas tube since any paint or other process would likely burn off after a few mag dumps.

No, the tubes are with and without Cerakote (1500 deg version) - inconel is anti-carburizing.

jerrysimons
12-25-13, 23:41
Aluminum castle-nut and end-plate...and 4140 QPQ'ed buffer tube?

I'm sure the parts are very well executed, but it looks like something to just separate a fool from their money. I cannot see a benefit to anything except the cryogenically treated bolts, potentially.

To be fair the castle nut is a high strength aluminum alloy and aluminum end plates are in use by multiple manufactures already such as DD and Fortis.

If the alloy is in fact 30% stronger than 7075 t6 as claimed then it would be on par with 4140 CM steel in tensile strength.
http://www.makeitfrom.com/compare-materials/?A=7075-T7-Aluminum&B=SAE-AISI-4140-SCM440-1.7225-42CrMo4-G41400-Cr-Mo-Steel

WS6
12-25-13, 23:53
To be fair the castle nut is a high strength aluminum alloy and aluminum end plates are in use by multiple manufactures already such as DD and Fortis.

If the alloy is in fact 30% stronger than 7075 t6 as claimed then it would be on par with 4140 CM steel in tensile strength.
http://www.makeitfrom.com/compare-materials/?A=7075-T7-Aluminum&B=SAE-AISI-4140-SCM440-1.7225-42CrMo4-G41400-Cr-Mo-Steel

So why not make the buffer tube out of it?

jerrysimons
12-26-13, 00:14
So why not make the buffer tube out of it?

That is what I was thinking, I scratch my head at the steel "hard use" buffer tube.

WS6
12-26-13, 00:23
That is what I was thinking, I scratch my head at the steel "hard use" buffer tube.

It's made for selling, makes perfect sense to me.

Wolfhound86
12-26-13, 00:38
Saving a couple of ounces on dust covers and endplates doesn't exactly grab my attention from a marketing stand point. "The guns that win WWIII" didnt the "WOLVERINES" win WWIII with stolen Russian AKs?

WS6
12-26-13, 00:58
Saving a couple of ounces on dust covers and endplates doesn't exactly grab my attention from a marketing stand point. "The guns that win WWIII" didnt the "WOLVERINES" win WWIII with stolen Russian AKs?
http://www.pageglimpse.com/vulcanarparts.com

n4p226r
12-26-13, 10:06
Then again, Mrs. Noveske is a lot nicer than I am. better looking too. :D

EzGoingKev
12-26-13, 10:14
IMO unless you personally know the people involved and have firsthand knowledge of anything then you should stay in your lane and STFU.

I would rather read posts about the quality of the parts (either plus or minus) than ego boosting BS.

I remember when this board used to be a great source of info, now it is just a better version of TOS.

BufordTJustice
12-26-13, 12:49
IMO unless you personally know the people involved and have firsthand knowledge of anything then you should stay in your lane and STFU.

I would rather read posts about the quality of the parts (either plus or minus) than ego boosting BS.

I remember when this board used to be a great source of info, now it is just a better version of TOS.

Good point, Kev. I agree those without firsthand knowledge like Stick (or others) should stay out of it.

Its capitalism. If you don't like his shit, don't buy his shit. It's that simple.

Heavy Metal
12-26-13, 13:10
I have ordered some parts from these guys. I get most of the parts but the steel buffer tube is a head-scratcher.

Don't you want he buffer tube to be the sacrificial part instead of cracking the bridge of the lower receiver?

Caveman7
12-26-13, 14:28
I have ordered some parts from these guys. I get most of the parts but the steel buffer tube is a head-scratcher.

Don't you want he buffer tube to be the sacrificial part instead of cracking the bridge of the lower receiver?

Joel from V7 said the buffer tube was built for some buds that wanted some, said he did not expect to sell very many. He does recommend them for heavy varmint guns and
that makes since for a sitting gun, or maybe a gun like a 458 Socom, a little weight to absorb recoil??? I have one and it is cool for my heavy gun. Once you have tried nearly
every thing out there try a super heavy varmint gun, the whole family loves to shoot them. Just my caveman .02 oooga booga.

jerrysimons
12-26-13, 14:49
V7 has been good to me during all of the orders I have placed. Once I bought online during a special that was free shipping for phone orders only and they just automatically refunded shipping a day letter. I didn't ask as I knew what the special said when I ordered. They have been great on the phone aswell.
The parts all check out for the claimed weights and I have no reason to doubt there quality.

As for the drama, as curious as i am why Joel and Todd both are no longer with Noveske, I have nothing to say. I still can't get over the, "why did he have die?".

Caveman7
12-26-13, 17:35
[QUOTE=Stickman;1819347]No, he is NOT one of the founders of Noveske. There is NOTHING to claim they are Noveske quality, however, they are using ideas about projects that John Noveske talked with me about before his death. For clarity, I'm not talking about the barrels, I'm talking about some of the secondary parts.

You will have to excuse my level of brevity with this one, but there is more going on here that I don't want to get into. There is a lot of bull being thrown around to bad mouth Johnny, his wife, and the employees of Noveske Rifleworks behind the scenes right now from certain people and I have an exceedingly low tolerance level for it. I want to nip this in the bud before it grows into a total thread of misinformation. If people don't know factually what they are talking about, they should refrain from posting. If this thread was simply about V7, I wouldn't bother to post anything, but it has turned into a different creature.

Talked to Joel about this today and he said he thinks of you as a friend Stick, he also said good things about Noveske. He said if Lorina, Sheri or the boys ever needed a thing he would be there and they know that.
I agree with you Stick its BS all the trash talk, but it does not seem to be coming from Joel. Love your pics bro!

Iraqgunz
12-26-13, 19:58
Enough of this "he said, she said" crap. We'll discuss the merits of the products or else we'll shut it down and trash it.

Brahmzy
12-28-13, 14:20
Well, I just got some V7 Aluminum Takedown Pins and Mag Catch in the mail today. Very fast, free shipping.

Dang - these parts are beautiful. Tolerance is perfect - I'd say they match diameter exactly to the KNS take down pins they replaced. And holy crap they're light. Mag catch is a piece of work too. Super light and an extremely quality part. No gawdy logos on anything exterior. I've got the castle nut and port door coming next week.

Whether these parts are "worth it" is a different discussion to piss and moan about. The fact is, so far, they are top-notch in quality and weight.

Tokarev
12-28-13, 14:28
I wonder about the longevity of the aluminum mag catch especially when used with HK and the like.

Brahmzy
12-28-13, 14:41
I wonder about the longevity of the aluminum mag catch especially when used with HK and the like.

I asked Joel about this specifically and he said he used primarily HK steel mags for all his testing. He said with tons of yanking, pulling, pushing, scraping and the like, he could not get the edge to wear down on the catch. It's all about the hardness of the aluminum. "30% stronger and harder than T7076 T6". He said the same of the take down pins. No marring from the detents or anything. We'll see over time, but from what I could tell, the "Super Aluminum" metal he's using is pretty stellar.
He also said if you can somehow cause damage to the part there's a lifetime guarantee on it anyway.

Things I'd like to see him do are bolt catch and maybe the rod for the port door.

I'd also love to see him or Noveske make a crazy light NSR barrel nut out of this metal - but that would probably be big bucks for tooling. Crazy big bucks.

Tokarev
12-28-13, 14:49
Thanks for the info regarding HK mags. I might have to give the aluminum mag catch a try.

I don't know how an aluminum bolt catch would stand up to the impact of the steel bolt but it would be nifty if it would work.

Brahmzy
12-28-13, 14:55
I don't know how an aluminum bolt catch would stand up to the impact of the steel bolt but it would be nifty if it would work.

Yeah, I wonder that too. Hardness is one thing, but if the aluminum is brittle, that's another story. That'd be a game over for the bolt catch as it would need to withstand the force of the bolt lugs on any part of it's surface from a tiny tip to the whole exposed catch. My guess is Joel is probably way ahead of us on testing this stuff and either hasn't come to any solid conclusions yet, has a product in the making or quickly found out it's a no-go.

Mr blasty
12-28-13, 14:55
Thanks for the info regarding HK mags. I might have to give the aluminum mag catch a try.

Aluminum work hardens over time so I could see it having problems

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

jerrysimons
12-28-13, 16:37
Brhamzy, did he mention anything about an aluminum alloy reciever extension? I am curious if it would even be lighter than the 7075t6 buffer tube.

BufordTJustice
12-28-13, 18:25
I asked Joel about this specifically and he said he used primarily HK steel mags for all his testing. He said with tons of yanking, pulling, pushing, scraping and the like, he could not get the edge to wear down on the catch. It's all about the hardness of the aluminum. "30% stronger and harder than T7076 T6". He said the same of the take down pins. No marring from the detents or anything. We'll see over time, but from what I could tell, the "Super Aluminum" metal he's using is pretty stellar.
He also said if you can somehow cause damage to the part there's a lifetime guarantee on it anyway.

Things I'd like to see him do are bolt catch and maybe the rod for the port door.

I'd also love to see him or Noveske make a crazy light NSR barrel nut out of this metal - but that would probably be big bucks for tooling. Crazy big bucks.

In bold. I was just thinking that today. Would be a perfect compliment tot he port door because it undergoes so little stress.

I'm not sure how a bolt catch would hold up.

Another thing I would like to see is an ultra-light forward assist in BLACK. There's another one coming out, but it's bright and shiny. Negative on the shiny.

Brahmzy
12-28-13, 18:35
Brhamzy, did he mention anything about an aluminum alloy reciever extension? I am curious if it would even be lighter than the 7075t6 buffer tube.

I didn't think to ask him about a LW rec ext. I guarantee it would be lighter if it was made out this stuff. I'd buy a few.

...an ultra-light forward assist in BLACK. There's another one coming out, but it's bright and shiny. Negative on the shiny.

Absolutely. Pretty sure this aluminum is plenty strong enough for the pawl. Tons of weight savings possible there. Probably almost full ounce Id think.

Tokarev
12-28-13, 18:52
What do we expect to realistically gain from swapping out as many steel parts for aluminum as possible? I'm guess two or three ounces max.

Brahmzy
12-28-13, 19:03
Sounds about right.

BufordTJustice
12-28-13, 19:16
I didn't think to ask him about a LW rec ext. I guarantee it would be lighter if it was made out this stuff. I'd buy a few.

Absolutely. Pretty sure this aluminum is plenty strong enough for the pawl. Tons of weight savings possible there. Probably almost full ounce Id think.

Eh. I'd expect the pawl to be some type of steel just due to the shock loading.

BufordTJustice
01-01-14, 07:16
V7 port door came in. Some excellent machining and anodizing.

As stated, the std port door (BCM) comes in at 14 grams and this V7 at 7 grams.

Shao
01-01-14, 07:32
V7 port door came in. Some excellent machining and anodizing.

As stated, the std port door (BCM) comes in at 14 grams and this V7 at 7 grams.

Which equates to about carrying six extra cents on you in the form of a nickel and a penny.

BufordTJustice
01-01-14, 10:14
Which equates to about carrying six extra cents on you in the form of a nickel and a penny.

Or the screw, backing plate, and washer used to attach an MOE accessory (like the MOE vertical grip, single rail section, cantilever light mount, etc).

jerrysimons
01-01-14, 10:41
So far I have totaled 1.5oz weight savings using all of the current V7 ultralight parts over standard mil-spec parts. Grams add up if you care and are willing to pay...

BufordTJustice
01-01-14, 10:57
So far I have totaled 1.5oz weight savings using all of the current V7 ultralight parts over standard mil-spec parts. Grams add up if you care and are willing to pay...

Agreed. Quality parts that are light in weight (and meet advertised specs). If somebody doesn't like them, don't buy them. However, now that I've settled on my handguard, gas block, muzzle device, optic and mount, and my lower being already set up for my uses and shooting style.....this is the low-hanging fruit for weight reduction.

It is not the lowest hanging fruit, but I'd rather see somebody go this route instead of trying to press some shitty polymer lower into service.

WS6
01-01-14, 11:08
I've learned my lesson on 1-off type stuff that "looks good" but is held to no specifications and doesn't fit any kind of TDP or anything of the sort. The marketing from V7 has struck me as very suspect, somewhat deceptive, and while I am sure their parts meet the weight/dimensions they state, I just cannot see any tangible good coming of any of it, and can forsee possible issues of unintended consequence.

Iraqgunz
01-01-14, 11:14
I think if things get to the point that I need to focus on weight savings like I see here, I will retire my ARs and go to a Ruger 10/22.

plouffedaddy
01-01-14, 12:24
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/703/lsxl.png (https://imageshack.com/i/jjlsxlp)

I've had the the V7 barrel out a couple times now and so far I'm impressed. The fit and finish are as good or better as any barrel I've ever seen. I need to get some more rounds though it before I can do a full review though…. Tough job but someone has to do it! :moil:

BufordTJustice
01-01-14, 12:57
Tough job, indeed. ;)

I look forward to your video, sir.

jerrysimons
01-01-14, 13:02
Agreed. Quality parts that are light in weight (and meet advertised specs). If somebody doesn't like them, don't buy them. However, now that I've settled on my handguard, gas block, muzzle device, optic and mount, and my lower being already set up for my uses and shooting style.....this is the low-hanging fruit for weight reduction.

It is not the lowest hanging fruit, but I'd rather see somebody go this route instead of trying to press some shitty polymer lower into service.

That is how I see it too.
The line has to be drawn somewhere, these parts are free weight savings in terms of function as far as I see it. It is not like you are giving up a forward assist (which save about 2.5oz using a slick side upper, IIRC), as seldomly used as they are anyway.
I really don't see much that can go wrong as far as consequences with these parts as long as the dimensions are in-spec. Many know more than me, so I guess we will see.

BufordTJustice
01-01-14, 13:39
That is how I see it too.
The line has to be drawn somewhere, these parts are free weight savings in terms of function as far as I see it. It is not like you are giving up a forward assist (which save about 2.5oz using a slick side upper, IIRC), as seldomly used as they are anyway.
I really don't see much that can go wrong as far as consequences with these parts as long as the dimensions are in-spec. Many know more than me, so I guess we will see.

I hate forward assist mechanisms, personally, but my agency's training policy dictates that all patrol rifles will have one and that during training, the only "approved" verification of a properly loaded rifle is to partially retract the BCG via the CH and then let go once you see brass. Problem is, sometimes a dirty gun won't return to battery completely. So an FA is mandatory if for no other reason than they force you to constantly "chamber check" you gun while on the firing line during drills. Or else I would gladly go with a Rainier Arms or Aero Precision slick-side upper (brass deflector only). Also, I've already employed Magpul GenII MBUS sights and a Micro-T1 on an LT660. I have something else up my sleeve to save weight with another company that sponsors M4C (not V7)...but that's confidential as of right now.

Also, my agency range staff have officially refused to sign-off on my using the new BCM KMR once it debuts in a 15" version due to the "unknown quality" of the product and the fact that they don't trust the magnesium it is partially made from. I argued until I got kicked out of their office.

Sometimes I just have to go bang my head against a f*cking wall.

GH41
01-01-14, 14:53
I think if things get to the point that I need to focus on weight savings like I see here, I will retire my ARs and go to a Ruger 10/22.

Don't grab my 10/22. It probably weighs 10 pounds!! GH

BSmith
01-01-14, 22:10
Any guesses on this super duper alloy? Magnalium?

WS6
01-01-14, 23:36

With a fresh build, I can understand some of it as "hey, why not? I can talk about it", but to actually remove/replace parts? I'm with you 100%.

WS6
01-01-14, 23:42
I hate forward assist mechanisms, personally, but my agency's training policy dictates that all patrol rifles will have one and that during training, the only "approved" verification of a properly loaded rifle is to partially retract the BCG via the CH and then let go once you see brass. Problem is, sometimes a dirty gun won't return to battery completely. So an FA is mandatory if for no other reason than they force you to constantly "chamber check" you gun while on the firing line during drills. Or else I would gladly go with a Rainier Arms or Aero Precision slick-side upper (brass deflector only). Also, I've already employed Magpul GenII MBUS sights and a Micro-T1 on an LT660. I have something else up my sleeve to save weight with another company that sponsors M4C (not V7)...but that's confidential as of right now.

Also, my agency range staff have officially refused to sign-off on my using the new BCM KMR once it debuts in a 15" version due to the "unknown quality" of the product and the fact that they don't trust the magnesium it is partially made from. I argued until I got kicked out of their office.

Sometimes I just have to go bang my head against a f*cking wall.

The original forward assist works fine.
http://i41.tinypic.com/28k09rq.jpg

ETA: Totally un-related, but stories like yours make me laugh when people get jealous of "what the police can have".

BufordTJustice
01-02-14, 08:19
The original forward assist works fine.
http://i41.tinypic.com/28k09rq.jpg

ETA: Totally un-related, but stories like yours make me laugh when people get jealous of "what the police can have".

That is EXACTLY what I explained to them. I was accused of "making shit up".

FML.

BufordTJustice
01-02-14, 09:46
If V7 made a receiver extension out of their "super aluminum" alloy in a std and a Vltor A5 format, that might be worth considering for testing.

jerrysimons
01-02-14, 09:54
If V7 made a receiver extension out of their "super aluminum" alloy in a std and a Vltor A5 format, that might be worth considering for testing.

I was thinking the same.

What is that up your sleeve BufordT???:)

BufordTJustice
01-02-14, 09:55
I was thinking the same.

What is that up your sleeve BufordT???:)

Nothing with V7. ;)

Brahmzy
01-02-14, 11:22
Yes, I'd buy a super aluminum A5 rec ext, er 4, actually. And 2 std lengths.
Make it so BTJ!

Now if we could convince Noveske to make special edition NSRs using this stuff on their rails and barrel nuts. Count me in for 4 of them too!

Swag
01-02-14, 13:18
What exactly is this "super aluminum"?

Heavy Metal
01-02-14, 13:29
Might be AL-LI alloy

Tokarev
01-03-14, 15:23
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/703/lsxl.png (https://imageshack.com/i/jjlsxlp)

I've had the the V7 barrel out a couple times now and so far I'm impressed. The fit and finish are as good or better as any barrel I've ever seen. I need to get some more rounds though it before I can do a full review though…. Tough job but someone has to do it! :moil:

How are your initial impressions holding? Any druthers with the barrel?

discreet
01-03-14, 16:06
So far every part I have from v7 has been flawless. Only gripe I have is the ejection port door will loose some anodizing where it makes contact with the lower (have not had this happen yet of course, but a completely flat piece slamming on the receiver over time will get a nice worn line of anodizing). May just drill a tiny hole in it and mount a tiny rubber plug to it so it both quiets it down and protects the anodizing.

Oher than that the titanium pins are perfect, and IMO if you have an ALG ACT it will match up just fine. IMO the titanium pins slide like butter, which is much nicer than the grittiness of my DD pins did (even with some grease). I do happen to use a tiny bit of AeroShell 33ms on my pins now tho, which help smoothness even more.

Mag catch seems pretty damn strong as well. Mixed with a seekins catch button it's perfect.

Castle nut and endplate are a great match and stake like butter. IMO I don't have a single worry about strength at the castle nut region with these.

Going to be throwing my v7 Bolt in a Wilson Combat carrier and well see how she handles some rounds being put down range. No real want for me to try the comp at this time as I'm already putting the Rainier Mini comp through it's paces.

This stuff IMO won't be noticeable at all if trying to lighten a gun, but if building an extreme light weight gun from the start, these will make a nice addition. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have an issue going w the v7 stuff. Top notch stuff. Only time will tell on the durability. That will be reported at a different time.

To add... their OD coloring is in line with Magpul OD, which is welcomed. It's not a lighter shade of OD like the Seekins OD, or from what I'm told, the BAD lever OD. Not quite a perfect match, but as close as I have seen a company get to Magpul OD. The black anodozing also is solid. No purple hue what so ever. IMO these are some of the best anodized parts I've seen to date. (I can't comment on FDE however as I don't have any FDE).

plouffedaddy
01-04-14, 09:47

I haven't had it out since I posted that but I'll be out again tomorrow.

Caveman7
01-05-14, 14:19
So far every part I have from v7 has been flawless. Only gripe I have is the ejection port door will loose some anodizing where it makes contact with the lower (have not had this happen yet of course, but a completely flat piece slamming on the receiver over time will get a nice worn line of anodizing). May just drill a tiny hole in it and mount a tiny rubber plug to it so it both quiets it down and protects the anodizing.

Oher than that the titanium pins are perfect, and IMO if you have an ALG ACT it will match up just fine. IMO the titanium pins slide like butter, which is much nicer than the grittiness of my DD pins did (even with some grease). I do happen to use a tiny bit of AeroShell 33ms on my pins now tho, which help smoothness even more.

Mag catch seems pretty damn strong as well. Mixed with a seekins catch button it's perfect.

Castle nut and endplate are a great match and stake like butter. IMO I don't have a single worry about strength at the castle nut region with these.

Going to be throwing my v7 Bolt in a Wilson Combat carrier and well see how she handles some rounds being put down range. No real want for me to try the comp at this time as I'm already putting the Rainier Mini comp through it's paces.

This stuff IMO won't be noticeable at all if trying to lighten a gun, but if building an extreme light weight gun from the start, these will make a nice addition. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have an issue going w the v7 stuff. Top notch stuff. Only time will tell on the durability. That will be reported at a different time.

To add... their OD coloring is in line with Magpul OD, which is welcomed. It's not a lighter shade of OD like the Seekins OD, or from what I'm told, the BAD lever OD. Not quite a perfect match, but as close as I have seen a company get to Magpul OD. The black anodozing also is solid. No purple hue what so ever. IMO these are some of the best anodized parts I've seen to date. (I can't comment on FDE however as I don't have any FDE).

I have seen the FDE and its nearly perfect to the Magpul. I have a few of their parts now and sweet they are! Some thing new and fresh I guess is what has got me hooked.

Brahmzy
01-11-14, 12:45
New addition to the V7 parts list: Titanium Gas Block

- APPROX. 45% LIGHTER THAN A STANDARD LO-PRO GAS BLOCK

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/featured/products/v7-titanium-750-gas-block

Talk about removing weight from the right place.

I've had more parts come in from these guys and have talked to them all quite a bit more - many more parts planned. Good stuff. If I wasn't all about the adjustable gas, I'd give this a go. Still might try it out.

Swag
01-11-14, 13:01
Nice. Incremental improvements to achieve an overall solid gain. Evolution takes baby steps.

ETA: Drop a couple ounces here, a couple ounces there while parts are stronger! That M4S doesn't seem to weigh as much as before...

BufordTJustice
01-11-14, 13:59

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/featured/products/v7-titanium-750-gas-block

I've had more parts come in from these guys and have talked to them all quite a bit more - many more parts planned. Good stuff. If I wasn't all about the adjustable gas, I'd give this a go. Still might try it out.

I saw that. Did they say if it's pinnable our would there be an issue with that?

BufordTJustice
01-11-14, 14:01
Also, i wonder if gas cutting might be an issue for the gas block like it is for aluminum gas blocks?

jerrysimons
01-11-14, 14:09

Nice! I wonder if .625 diameter is in the woks since since pairing it with a skinny barrel in an obvious choice.

BufordTJustice
01-11-14, 14:10
Also, a bolt stop and BAD lever combo or equivalent from v7 could save some weight as well.

EzGoingKev
01-11-14, 14:11
I saw that. Did they say if it's pinnable our would there be an issue with that?

I think the biggest issue would be drilling it as Ti hardens as it heats up. It would be nice if they came pre-dilled.

Also, i wonder if gas cutting might be an issue for the gas block like it is for aluminum gas blocks?

I doubt it as Ti is very good with heat.

BufordTJustice
01-11-14, 14:13
I think the biggest issue would be drilling it as Ti hardens as it heats up. It would be nice if they came pre-dilled.

Good info. Thank you.

Yeah, pre drilled seems to be the best plan from what you stated.

jerrysimons
01-11-14, 14:39
Also, a bolt stop and BAD lever combo or equivalent from v7 could save some weight as well.

I suppose they could do a titanium bolt catch.

When is you special product announcement going to come BufordT, SHOT?

BufordTJustice
01-11-14, 14:55
I suppose they could do a titanium bolt catch.

When is you special product announcement going to come BufordT, SHOT?

Well, it involves another three-letter company. It won't be by SHOT. Probably between February and April. Not even in prototype phase yet.

Mr blasty
01-11-14, 15:01

Not to mention it's corrosion resistance. It would work great for a gas block.
Every machinist I know or have worked with insist on diamond tools or equivalent for working with Ti.

WS6
01-11-14, 17:42
Not to mention it's corrosion resistance. It would work great for a gas block.
Every machinist I know or have worked with insist on diamond tools or equivalent for working with Ti.

Ti is "gummy" when you machine it. It's a PITA.

Mr blasty
01-11-14, 17:57
Ti is "gummy" when you machine it. It's a PITA.

Same with welding. It flows like snot. Worse yet is polishing it. Good luck keeping it from smearing. Honestly the exorbitant prices for Ti products is fully justified considering how difficult it is to work with. Can be hard as a rock or soft as butter under certain conditions.

EzGoingKev
01-11-14, 18:00
It makes nice white sparks when you grind it.....

Mr blasty
01-11-14, 18:45
It makes nice white sparks when you grind it.....

Really? Haven't seen it ground before.

plouffedaddy
01-11-14, 19:13

Had it out twice since you asked and it's impressive. With good factory ammo it consistently groups under 1'' without much effort on my part at all. I've gotten several under .75'' groups and I don't do much better than that personally with bolt guns. My guess is with some worked up hand loads it would do as well in terms of accuracy as any barrel on the market.

Tokarev
01-11-14, 19:18
Had it out twice since you asked and it's impressive. With good factory ammo it consistently groups under 1'' without much effort on my part at all. I've gotten several under .75'' groups and I don't do much better than that personally with bolt guns. My guess is with some worked up hand loads it would do as well in terms of accuracy as any barrel on the market.

I have to admit I'm pretty interested. But in the end I'll probably get a lightweight profile barrel from Ballistic Advantage. I'm in the mood for something a bit lighter than what I've been running lately plus it is hard to justify $425 on a barrel that'll probably see a regular diet of cheap Russian steel.

Mr blasty
01-12-14, 11:22
I have to admit I'm pretty interested. But in the end I'll probably get a lightweight profile barrel from Ballistic Advantage. I'm in the mood for something a bit lighter than what I've been running lately plus it is hard to justify $425 on a barrel that'll probably see a regular diet of cheap Russian steel.

Your paying $425 for a lifetime barrel. Cheep steel or lapua match it's you won't need another one again.

BufordTJustice
01-12-14, 11:28
Your paying $425 for a lifetime barrel. Cheep steel or lapua match it's you won't need another one again.

Barrels are wear items. There is no lifetime barrel.

Mr blasty
01-12-14, 12:06
Barrels are wear items. There is no lifetime barrel.

According to there warranty they replace the barrel when it no longer shoots 1moa.

BufordTJustice
01-12-14, 12:58
According to there warranty they replace the barrel when it no longer shoots 1moa.

That's a solid warranty. But that is just a guarantee for replacement.

discreet
01-12-14, 13:30
IMO lifetime warrenties are only good IF the company stays in business. So many companies claim lifetime and they go out of biz, thus, no more warrenty because the company doesn't exist anymore.

Something to keep in mind with a new company. Not saying I have any doubts v7 is here for the long run, but just looking at it from a realist standpoint, I always take warrenties like a grain of salt.

Caveman7
01-13-14, 18:39
Nice! I wonder if .625 diameter is in the woks since since pairing it with a skinny barrel in an obvious choice.

I asked the same thing, looks like the .625 version is already in the works. Titanium is much better with heat than aluminum, smart choice on there part I think.

Caveman7
01-13-14, 18:46

Alright that is it I need one! I knew they would rock! Thanks for the info.

jerrysimons
01-17-14, 13:36
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/accidentprone86/D4A849CC-9FE1-4EC1-8886-DCA9EC00123B-7582-00000BA090C1B508_zps2f01a4ac.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/accidentprone86/3C4127E0-DAA3-4418-8451-2EC50D7259BE-7582-00000BA0A9E90368_zps291f7980.jpg

"Stops jihad on contact..."
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/accidentprone86/53A39A8F-14AA-4873-A255-6374E30AC6D8-7582-00000BA0BB93C1BD_zpsec891df6.jpg

V7 will do custom port door engravings upon request. That is how the American/Israeli flag design started out. They then decided to make it a standard offering.

Brahmzy
01-18-14, 11:32
New addition to the V7 parts list: Buffer Retainer/Spring

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-buffer-retainer-spring

They weren't kidding when they said they were going to go through the entire rifle, piece by piece. Probably won't get this one as I'm not even sure if the steel version is over a gram.

Still waiting on the port door rod, maybe some trigger pins and an FA assembly.

BufordTJustice
01-18-14, 14:00
New addition to the V7 parts list: Buffer Retainer/Spring

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-buffer-retainer-spring

They weren't kidding when they said they were going to go through the entire rifle, piece by piece. Probably won't get this one as I'm not even sure if the steel version is over a gram.

Still waiting on the port door rod, maybe some trigger pins and an FA assembly.

Nice. If they can create a billet/combined bad lever and bolt catch from their aluminum alloy, that would be killer.

Maybe even more killer, a forward assist. ;)

jerrysimons
01-19-14, 10:20
http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-port-door-rod-upgrade

7075 portdoor rod

Why do you suppose the barrel nut has to be removed?

Swag
01-19-14, 10:38
I'm wondering why they didn't go with Ti instead?

Brahmzy
01-19-14, 10:51
Why do you suppose the barrel nut has to be removed?

You've obviously never built / disassembled an AR.

I'm wondering why they didn't go with Ti instead?

Why would they? This is a low heat / low stress part. Ti is also heavier.

Glad they didn't - I don't want any Ti bling on my rifle.

jerrysimons
01-19-14, 11:01
I buy factory uppers but I did help strip one for sandblast and Cerakote, I must not have been paying close enough attention. I still don't understand way they say it is not a retrofit part? Neither is a buffer retainer if all they mean is you have to take stuff apart to install it...

Brahmzy
01-19-14, 11:16
I buy factory uppers but I did help strip one for sandblast and Cerakote, I must not have been paying close enough attention. I still don't understand way they say it is not a retrofit part? Neither is a buffer retainer if all they mean is you have to take stuff apart to install it...

Plenty of kids can take off a receiver extension - just go buy a wrench.

Fewer kids can completely disassemble / reassemble their uppers. I think it was good of them to note that on the product page considering their target market buyer. Probably saved themselves some phone calls / returns from kids that don't know how uppers are assembled.

jerrysimons
01-19-14, 14:39
Silly newbs like me who assume you can slide the rod out the back to swap it out the same way you can to swap the port door, But the forward assist keeps the rod from coming all the way out, now doesn't it?:)

A barrel nut with the proper tools and work space is simple enough though...

Heavy Metal
01-19-14, 15:32
I can get a port door off without removing the barrel.

You can remove the Circlip and slide it out under the forward assist hump carefully.

Brahmzy
01-19-14, 15:44
So the mil-spec Buffer Retainer is 2 grams, FYI.

So, as long as we're splitting hairs here, what about the pistol grip screw? Not sure if that material is appropriate for a fastener like that, but quite a bit of mass in that bolt vs stuff like buffer retainers.

jerrysimons
01-19-14, 15:59
I can get a port door off without removing the barrel.

You can remove the Circlip and slide it out under the forward assist hump carefully.

Right. But, correct me if I am wrong, there is not enough wiggle room on a mil-spec upper to slide the rod itself out in order to replace it.

Heavy Metal
01-19-14, 16:04
I have done it many times. As soon as the front end of the rod clears the pivot in the front of the receiver, which it will before the other end encounters the FA bump, you can tip it down a bit, It isn't easy, you have to be careful but it will slide under the FA bump.

I lube the bottom of the bump generously and use a brass flat as a guide to help work the rod. It takes some finesse.

I put a V7 port door on a Smith and Wesson upper the other day and I assure you I did not change the barrel.

It's much easier to do from the front with the barrel off but it is far from impossible the other way.

It isn't a beginner's builders skill and I assume V7 is not recommending it due to potential to bend the rod or gouge something by an impatient, unskilled customer.

Tokarev
01-19-14, 16:28
Too bad Josh isn't using the little pin to keep the port door rod in place like HK uses.

BufordTJustice
01-19-14, 19:06
FORWARD ASSIST, FORWARD ASSIST, FORWARD ASSIST... V7, can you hear me?!?!?!

It's the single heaviest part on the upper aside from the barrel/nut assembly. Low hanging fruit, guys. PREPARE TO TAKE MY MONEY!

discreet
01-19-14, 20:16

It's the single heaviest part on the upper aside from the barrel/nut assembly. Low hanging fruit, guys. PREPARE TO TAKE MY MONEY!

:)

Just what I was thinking.

I currently have a Northtech Ti forward assist and it's stupid light. I wanted ti for the current built but a black ano aluminum one would be great for another build to go with the aluminum pivot pins they have.

Ti gas block, ti takedown pins, ti forward assist, custom anodized mag catch, ejection port door, castle nut and end plate, this build came out pretty solid. Literally scary light even with a 14in fortis rail.

Only thing that is a bitch is pulling the barrel to get the new rod in after it just got put on lol. Only takes about 5 min tho so guess that isnt too bad. At this point there isn't anything I can do at all to shave weight asides from door rod as everything else is the lightest in class ordeal. I'll have to weight it up in a few weeks to see where she sits.

Waiting for a super light bolt catch although I don't think there is much to improve on over the seekins, asides from a ti mag catch. the whole silver and black theme has worked out pretty good.

eodinert
01-19-14, 21:29
Ditch the forward assist all together, then you won't need a titanium one.

BufordTJustice
01-19-14, 21:44
Ditch the forward assist all together, then you won't need a titanium one.

Can't. Agency policy. Have to have one and it must be fully functional.

Iraqgunz
01-19-14, 23:56
If you carefully remove the small C clip on the ejection port cover rod, then you slide the rod out the back towards to F/A. Then you cant it towards the ejection port itself and pull it through. I have done it multiple times and show both methods in my class.

Silly newbs like me who assume you can slide the rod out the back to swap it out the same way you can to swap the port door, But the forward assist keeps the rod from coming all the way out, now doesn't it?:)

A barrel nut with the proper tools and work space is simple enough though...

Iraqgunz
01-19-14, 23:58
I'm still seeing how the juice is worth the squeeze with this stuff. If you want to lighten the weapon you need a lighter rail, barrel and then a stock.

discreet
01-20-14, 02:08
I'm still seeing how the juice is worth the squeeze with this stuff. If you want to lighten the weapon you need a lighter rail, barrel and then a stock.

In my case that is all done. Pencil barrel, 11oz 14in rail, dd sights, moe stock, 9oz leupold scope on an aero 3oz mount. I'm pretty much all out of options to lighten up and these parts noticably took off weight when all added up as the gun was already light without it all. Cost was not a factor in this build so wasn't an issue. Do I recommend this to everyone, probably not, especially it that person doesn't have ammo, or mags to train with etc.

jerrysimons
01-20-14, 02:56

Agreed generally, my go-to rifle has Colt parts.

But then I have this rediculous, fanatical obsession with building an ultralight, no-corners-cut, high quality non-NFA sub 96oz carbine with a RDS, BUIS, and light. I am very close with a mil-spec upper, 14.5" skinny barrel w/ permed BC1.5, and 11" NSR but not quite there unless I shave some more weight. V7 parts are better than a BCM KMR at this point. They are free functional weight, I am getting close to 2oz saved with V7 parts.

Then there is this upper receiver from Rainier minus a forward assist coming in the mail and when that BCM 14.5" ELW-fluted barrel w/ a 10" KMR hits, it will be something to behold:dirol:

BTW--now that you have removed your palm from your forehead-- thanks for clarifying the port door rod replacement ;)

JusticeM4
01-20-14, 07:41
I like that other than cost these V7 items are basically free weight savings in terms of function in the weapon system.

I just finished putting together a DDM4v5 LW with more attention to budget than part weights. With optic, sights, and light it weights 8lb2oz (130oz)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/accidentprone86/2FD6DDEC-821E-42AA-8883-40B5735E908A-1909-0000037FC158C8CC_zps0f33ad50.jpg

I sure would rather hump my 6lb (96oz), soon to be sub-6lb, rifle than an 8lb rifle, over any significant distance.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/accidentprone86/4968E214-6627-4438-834E-10454CD99C54-913-000001C1E8AD3341_zps97c0d4e8.jpg

Same here. 2lbs can make a difference. The saying goes "ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain".

Very nice rifles though. Any premium AR15 in the low 6lb range is worth it IMO

BufordTJustice
01-20-14, 07:51

I agree 100% with the part in bold. However, for somebody like me who has already done those things (I have the lightest, quality 18" CHF barrel with rifle gas I could find...lighter than a 16" medcon from most makers at 1lb 13oz), I'm left with waiting on a BCM KMR 14"/15" version (To replace my already light RA Evo 15") and products from V7.

However, for most people, this stuff from V7 is NOT the low-hanging fruit. In fact, if somebody hasn't gone with a light profile barrel and an ultra-light handguard (NSR, KMR, EMR, Fortis, MI-SSK, etc.), most of V7's products are a waste of money in relative terms. Users will simply get more ounces of weight savings per dollar (a LOT more) doing those things first than with V7 substitutes. I think one of the guys above stated that, for every part to swap (at the time, excluding the port door rod, buffer detent, and GB), you would save about 1.5-2 ounces over mil spec parts. Somebody could save nearly twice by going from a 16" middy gov profile to a lightweight (and even more by going with a fluted ELW from BCM when they arrive).

For me, these V7 parts are all that's left to replace aside from my new KMR 14"/15" (You can do it, ESK! :D ). I'm already running a micro T1 in an LT660 with MBUS gen2's front and rear. MOE K2 grip and the Vltor A5 system (weight I'm not willing to drop). Once I get the KMR, I can switch to a lighter stock than my STR so that the gun retains balance. For now, the STR balances the gun perfectly.

If BCM makes an 18" ELW with rifle gas (fluted or not...but please fluted), I'm all over that.

BufordTJustice
01-20-14, 08:17
Same here. 2lbs can make a difference. The saying goes "ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain".

Very nice rifles though. Any premium AR15 in the low 6lb range is worth it IMO

My gun comes in at 7lbs 11.3oz with optics, irons, a spare CR123A battery and some machinegunner's lube in the STR, and no mag. If I can shave that to 7lbs even or maybe even slightly less....I'm all about that. Already have my pennies saved for a KMR 14"/15" (to completely cover my rifle length GB).

Brahmzy
01-20-14, 09:10
I've got a couple LaRue LT104 QD scope mounts on some of my rifles. Great mounts. A little bit lighter than the ADM mounts, or else I'd have the ADM mounts. I REALLY wish somebody could make a super lightweight QD mount.
Aero Precision has a 2.98oz scope mount (vs. LaRue's 7oz+ mount) but it's not QD.
It is REALLY nice having repeatable zero on a removable optic. The QD hardware may just be what it is. That's where the weight is, so it might be a pipe dream getting lighter than the LaRue.

I would love to see more competition in this area though. LaRue and ADM have sat on their laurels with these great mounts far too long. For the $200 they charge, they could absolutely be trying to further lighten these things in some way. Building a quality QD scope mount is a big undertaking, so I don't expect that from V7, but somebody needs to do it. Shoot, just make the existing ones out of this super aluminum stuff and charge a little more.

Going off track here...

jerrysimons
01-20-14, 11:51
So the Fortis F1 Micro mount weighs 1.3oz with bolts. It is not QD but it is light. Someone, Fortis or V7, needs to make a similar, lower 1/3rd mount on the order of 1oz or less for the 1oz Trijicon RMR. That would be insanely light and effective setup for a trail gun or any gun where QD is not required.
The lightest QD Micro mount I know of is Larue's absolute co-witness LT751 at 2.45oz.

Brahmzy
01-20-14, 12:06
Yep I run an LT751 on my Micros. I'm talkin' full sized, QD scope mounts, not Micro mounts.

foxtrotx1
01-20-14, 14:49
Extra pushups and a balanced breakfast are cheaper than shaving a few grams here and there.

Brahmzy
01-20-14, 14:53
Extra pushups and a balanced breakfast are cheaper than shaving a few grams here and there.

BRAVO SIR! YOU ARE SUCH A UNIQUE AND FUNNY GUY! * APPLAUSE *

discreet
01-20-14, 17:14

Wow that is such an arfcom type comment.

It's nothing about being weak. Carry a gun for 8+ hours and grams add up in weight savings, especially when you already have another gun slung across your back that is heavy. Add that with gear, mags, ammo, etc and it really starts to blow.

If you rarely use your gun for long periods of time it won't really matter.

jerrysimons
01-20-14, 17:44
Plenty of guys get by just fine with heavier carbines, no doubt. An ultralight weight carbine is not for everyone, but it sure is awesome to flick around a 6lb rifle. I don't pretend I am a high speed gunfighter but I do have more stamina handling less weight. It is simple kinesiology.

And so long as it is my money, I will spend it on what I want. To that end I am glad V7 is doing some innovative things with AR part materials.

BufordTJustice
01-20-14, 18:19

I don't wanna hear that shit. I'm 240 pounds, rep at 405 on the squat, bench and incline over 300, and can probably beat you in a 40 yd dash. I'm an athletic weightlifter. You've obviously never had to hold your dot on somebody's forehead for more than 60 minutes at a time with no rest while your hostage negotiator tries to get them to drop their gun.

That IS some TOS BS. I don't want to hear that noise here.

foxtrotx1
01-21-14, 03:02
No one is attacking you, I just feel like for me, a guy who just has to lug his AR around chasing deer, it's not money well spent. I'd have more energy doing what I described and never notice the difference. I never questioned your physical abilities. I figured the "for me" wasn't necessary on the end of my comment. If you want an apology, then i'm sorry.

BufordTJustice
01-21-14, 08:35
I don't give a damn about an apology. I care about quality information in the thread that benefits the M4C community.

You should have included those caveats in your original smartass post. In case you haven't noticed, there are quite a few few folks here on M4C that use their gun for work purposes....NOT just for deer hunting. This thread is obviously directed toward people who envision carrying, or have carried, their weapon for long periods at a time and who wish to take every reasonable step possible to meaningfully reduce weight.

Comments about pushups are neither serious, nor do they contribute to the knowledge base. Plenty of people with solid reputations have stated their skepticism in this thread (IraqGunz and others). No need to do it again.

sinlessorrow
01-21-14, 10:03
I don't wanna hear that shit. I'm 240 pounds, rep at 405 on the squat, bench and incline over 300, and can probably beat you in a 40 yd dash. I'm an athletic weightlifter. You've obviously never had to hold your dot on somebody's forehead for more than 60 minutes at a time with no rest while your hostage negotiator tries to get them to drop their gun.

That IS some TOS BS. I don't want to hear that noise here.

Question. You can hold your rifle on point for over an hour? Why not just simply use you mag as a monopod and your arms as a stabalizing brace?

I have never met anyone who could hold even a 6lb rifle on point for 60 minutes.

Also just fyi, being a weightlifter does not mean you have muscle eendurance, not saying you don't but the two are seperate forms of training. One being low rep high tension and the other high rep low tension.

Being able to bench 500 is great, but muscle endurance allows for you to shoulder a rifle for longer periods of time. Its similar to how I bench 120 but can do 90-120 pushups in one go and my good friend benches 389 and can only do about 10 pushups. I can also shoulder my rifle for longer times than he can, even though he is technically much stronger than I am.

Brahmzy
01-21-14, 10:05
Question. You can hold your rifle on point for over an hour? Why not just simply use you mag as a monopod and your arms as a stabalizing brace?

I have never met anyone who could hold even a 6lb rifle on point for 60 minutes.

Really? Are you seriously going to derail this thread with that shit? Just. Stop.
If you want to start a thread about carrying rifles for extended periods of time, go do it.

This is about evaluation of a company's products. Or it was.

sinlessorrow
01-21-14, 10:12
Really? Are you seriously going to derail this thread with that shit? Just. Stop.
If you want to start a thread about carrying rifles for extended periods of time, go do it.

Oh yeah I'm the one who starting talking abiut how much I bench....oh wait.../rollseyes.

I think the point was that by working on muscle endurance(hence the pushup comment) may be better in the end than saving the weight difference between the V7 dust cover and a standard dust cover.

I mean honsetly the V7 dust cover is $37.....for what? 10grams of weight savings? Thats like 10 times as much as a standard dust cover.

Toddler
01-21-14, 10:38
Curls would probably help more than bench press, just kidding. I wish my Wife would let me spend uber amounts on accessories.

BufordTJustice
01-21-14, 13:26
Picture yourself standing on the downward slope of a ditch that is approximately 15 feet deep. There is a patrol car parked on the downward incline of the other side of the ditch, directly in front of you. Directly past that, about 50 yards away, is a crazy guy holding a gun to his head (periodically) and waiving it around. Trees are blocking lanes of fire from virtually any other direction (he's in the front yard of a residence that is backed by a large dividing concrete wall that separates him from the limited access highway behind his house, and both side houses have chain link fences bordering this guy's back yard.

You can't stoop, crouch, or sit because you have to clear the patrol car's trunk.

THAT's why. Also, I can do at least 70 pushups at a stint. I actually have a routine where I affix a weight to the end of my carbine via a rubber fitness band to build that exact muscle set. I understand what you're saying. I checked that box.

Question. You can hold your rifle on point for over an hour? Why not just simply use you mag as a monopod and your arms as a stabilizing brace?

Also just fyi, being a weightlifter does not mean you have muscle eendurance, not saying you don't but the two are seperate forms of training. One being low rep high tension and the other high rep low tension.

Being able to bench 500 is great, but muscle endurance allows for you to shoulder a rifle for longer periods of time. Its similar to how I bench 120 but can do 90-120 pushups in one go and my good friend benches 389 and can only do about 10 pushups. I can also shoulder my rifle for longer times than he can, even though he is technically much stronger than I am.

BufordTJustice
01-21-14, 13:56

It was. So much for discussing the merits within the context of this not being most people's low-hanging-fruit for weight reduction. We're down to cock measuring. Super.

Welcome to TOS, folks.

Caveman7
01-21-14, 13:58

After much bugging, V7 finally admitted they were working on a forward assist. I guess it has been in the works for some time
but they are busy and expanding to the market demand. There was a hint of a new titanium part as well, hmmmm.

Caveman7
01-21-14, 14:00

LOL have you said that before.

BufordTJustice
01-21-14, 14:05
After much bugging, V7 finally admitted they were working on a forward assist. I guess it has been in the works for some time
but they are busy and expanding to the market demand. There was a hint of a new titanium part as well, hmmmm.

Back on track......that's good news. I look forward to more info on that. Also, it's a part that can be swapped with only a pin punch.

Caveman7
01-21-14, 14:10
Back on track......that's good news. I look forward to more info on that. Also, it's a part that can be swapped with only a pin punch.

It is a heavy little part that is for sure, hope they use aluminum on the main body. They claw would need to be steel or Ti I would assume.

BufordTJustice
01-21-14, 14:12
It is a heavy little part that is for sure, hope they use aluminum on the main body. They claw would need to be steel or Ti I would assume.

I agree if only for impact resistance.

EDIT: And PRETTY PLEASE make it all black.....

JusticeM4
01-21-14, 20:23

+1000

A basic M4 config weighs under 7lbs empty. I don't really see the need to lighten it further by spending unecessary $ to save minute amount of weight.

Work on technique and spend that money on mags/ammo....

Airhasz
01-21-14, 23:44
+1000

A basic M4 config weighs under 7lbs empty. I don't really see the need to lighten it further by spending unecessary $ to save minute amount of weight.

True dat!

jerrysimons
01-22-14, 08:41

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you. I am right at the threshold of 96oz, a lightweight FA will put me under. I suppose the ti part might be a bolt catch??

discreet
01-23-14, 14:55
This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you. I am right at the threshold of 96oz, a lightweight FA will put me under. I suppose the ti part might be a bolt catch??

They just added a ti/aluminum selector to the site. Sure the .625gb coming soon as well as the FA

Brahmzy
01-23-14, 16:10
They just added a ti/aluminum selector to the site.

Nice. Might have to try one out. My guess is an AMBI lever is coming soon.

Swag
01-23-14, 16:55
I agree if only for impact resistance.

EDIT: And PRETTY PLEASE make it all black.....

Hmm, Looks like V7 is sadistic. They're rolling out everything but what you want!

discreet
01-23-14, 17:44
Nice. Might have to try one out. My guess is an AMBI lever is coming soon.

Yes your guess is correct. :)

discreet
01-23-14, 17:45
+1000

Enough with these comments guys. If you don't like them don't use them. Start your own thread about why having a lightweight gun is pointless. This thred is 90% clutter****ed for no reason.

WS6
01-23-14, 20:57
It seems to me that everyone with V7 parts is very pleased with the fit, finish, and the advertised weight claims are being supported by customer experience. The merit of the product is separate from the product itself, which seems to be stellar.

eodinert
01-24-14, 06:06
My novelty superlight AR is going to be a mobile advertisement for them. Figuratively. I'm freakin' stoked with the stuff they are coming out with.

Tokarev
01-24-14, 06:08
They really do seem to be taking the novelty materials approach to a whole new level. Soon it looks like they'll offer nearly everything other than bolts, carriers, barrels and receivers in titanium or aluminum. Good for them rather than just making the same old stuff.

rapomstage3
01-24-14, 06:42
I don't know if anybody said it but this stuff all seems like overpriced unnecessary boutique garbage.

Brahmzy
01-24-14, 08:03
I don't know if anybody said it but this stuff all seems like overpriced unnecessary boutique garbage.

Thanks for your unique, never-before-mentioned opinions.
Unnecessary? Your opinion.
Boutique? Your opinion.
Overpriced? Your opinion.
Garbage? Incorrect.

If somebody wants to further improve/lighten the small parts on an AR, this is EXACTLY the right way to execute it. He's doing it right and using the right materials in the right places. Please show me where he has compromised anything in any area.

Since you've got nothing and you won't be buying any V7 products, you can move on.

jerrysimons
01-24-14, 08:07

Hit and run, huh? You didn't even bother to read back a page to know whether or not the merit of these parts has been questioned?

WS6 hit the nail on the head, "the merit of a part is separate from the part itself." V7 parts are not garbage. Their quality is obvious to those who handle them. Boutique? I suppose all small company innovation is. Overpriced? You decide.

yellow50
01-24-14, 08:21

Please enlighten us with your experiences that led you come to the conclusion that V7 parts are " garbage".

Airhasz
01-24-14, 08:33

Majority of members would probably agree with you. But for some that have the funds there will always be a market for trick parts no matter what the hobby.

rapomstage3
01-24-14, 08:53
I don't have to read back, I went to their website. all the information is there. You want to build a space gun that is your choice. Don't bark at me. Bcm came up with a new alloy composition to improve the platform and is not raping people on the price. Engraved dustcovers what is it 2005? I'm not saying garbage like del-ton. I meant garbage like unneccassary unnoticeable difference in functionality. The weight would also go unnoticed without a scale. And further more I work for a hardwood flooring company but it doesn't mean if I leave and make my own flooring that it should demand the same premium as the established company. It also doesn't mean the quality is on par either. It doesn't mean it's not but I see it both ways.

BufordTJustice
01-24-14, 11:58
I don't have to read back, I went to their website. all the information is there. You want to build a space gun that is your choice. Don't bark at me. Bcm came up with a new alloy composition to improve the platform and is not raping people on the price. Engraved dustcovers what is it 2005? I'm not saying garbage like del-ton. I meant garbage like unneccassary unnoticeable difference in functionality. The weight would also go unnoticed without a scale. And further more I work for a hardwood flooring company but it doesn't mean if I leave and make my own flooring that it should demand the same premium as the established company. It also doesn't mean the quality is on par either. It doesn't mean it's not but I see it both ways.

And yet another page spent NOT DISCUSSING the main topic, with no new information being added.

Why don't you start your own thread?

WS6
01-24-14, 12:02
They really do seem to be taking the novelty materials approach to a whole new level. Soon it looks like they'll offer nearly everything other than bolts, carriers, barrels and receivers in titanium or aluminum. Good for them rather than just making the same old stuff.

There are still laws of unintended consequence. For ejection port doors, not so much, but other things, time may tell.

BufordTJustice
01-24-14, 12:08
There are still laws of unintended consequence. For ejection port doors, not so much, but other things, time may tell.

True. Only way to know is to use the parts hard and report back. That's how BCM got their kmr ready for release. Sent them to Pat Rogers, Larry Vickers, Mike Pannone, Travis Haley, etc for field testing.

I'm willing to give them a go.

discreet
01-24-14, 14:29

Yea doubt they will make a titanium bcg as titanium is not a good material for it, nor would you gain anything. They are working on a complete BCG .

Think it was Nemo arms that made a titanium ar receiver for the 2013 SHOT show or something like that and it was fracking retarded. Was like buko expensive for 0 gain. Was just mean to show off what they could do with their machines.

discreet
01-24-14, 14:37

Just move on to another thread if you don't have anything to contribute other than whining like a hormonal teenager.

Many of us are extremely happy with v7 stuff. So happy with it that numerous other builds of mine will get stuff pulled and v7 stuff put in, in it's place. IMO I don't see any future builds being done without these as there is really no reason not to, unless it's a retro build.

Nuff said. V7 = A+

TheWaker43
01-24-14, 17:51
Maybe I missed it but what became of what Stickman was talking about on page 3 of this thread?

discreet
01-24-14, 18:29
Maybe I missed it but what became of what Stickman was talking about on page 3 of this thread?

Don't worry about it. The mods said leave it alone. Send Stick a pm if you want to discuss it.

Back on task, I'm wondering if they will keep the same bullseye profile forward assist or if they will be doing something different like the Northtech forward assists. This will be interesting. For me I definitely prefer a titanium forward assist as I can see the assist getting a beating pretty bad if the gun is dropped, etc. Odds of it hitting right on it are actually decent as it does protrude out quite a bit compared to anything else on the right side of the weapon.

Caveman7
01-24-14, 19:23

How come it's always the "it costs to much" guys down on this stuff, funny. Just a caveman's observation.
Seems to me one man's "overpriced unnecessary boutique garbage", can be another man's pursuit to happiness
with his custom build.

Caveman7
01-24-14, 19:24
Thanks for your unique, never-before-mentioned opinions.
Unnecessary? Your opinion.
Boutique? Your opinion.
Overpriced? Your opinion.
Garbage? Incorrect.

If somebody wants to further improve/lighten the small parts on an AR, this is EXACTLY the right way to execute it. He's doing it right and using the right materials in the right places. Please show me where he has compromised anything in any area.

Since you've got nothing and you won't be buying any V7 products, you can move on.

LOL well said!

Brahmzy
01-24-14, 20:00
Got a V7 Port Door Rod in today, along with a Buffer Retainer Pin. Holy crap - more beautiful, precision built stuff. It's hard to describe how buttery smooth the V7 BRP "rides" through the tunnel in the lower. The anodize is pretty lubricious. My scale barely could weigh the thing at 1 gram. I feel a little bit silly on BR Pin - I paid $5 to lighten up 1 gram, lol. But F it - had to try it out - I've lost more, faster at the BlackJack table.. I think a standard mil-spec BRP & Spring are about $3 from Brownells. This mod is just plain silly to do a retrofit replacement on. But whatev.

So about the Port Door Rod. It, again, is a nice piece of work. Light as a feather with great anodizing. Feels like a piece of wire or something.
So, you WILL have to remove the barrel nut on this one, thus the "no retrofit" comments on their website. Their is NO C-clip to use and do the slide-through trick on an install on one of these. It only goes in from the front because the forward end of the rod is crimped in such a way that will not allow it to slip rearward. It's crimped (widened) ever so slightly (had to look close at the rod) and that enlarged diameter is what keeps it from moving rearward. Good news is, no more c-clip. Bad news is, barrel nut has to come off on a retro-fit. Think of a flat head screwdriver shaft tapering, flattening and widening as it gets to the beginning of the blade. Regardless, great stuff. I've got a safety on the way to try out as well.

BufordTJustice
01-25-14, 11:30
Thanks for reporting back, Brahmzy. Maybe snap some pix when you can?

eodinert
01-25-14, 11:33
I was wondering about the c-clip, I stared a the pictures of the port door rod on their web page, and could see neither a clip, a groove for a c-clip, or a shoulder to keep the rod from passing through.

dentron
01-25-14, 12:28
Does anybody have experience with their 57 degree selector? Looks nice and doesn't appear to require lower or selector modification.

Brahmzy
01-25-14, 12:31
Does anybody have experience with their 57 degree selector? Looks nice and doesn't appear to require lower or selector modification.

I'll have one middle of this next week. They JUST came out. I'll give my impressions.

discreet
01-25-14, 12:34

They are not out yet. They are shipping sometime this coming week.

Here is a review that was on the v7 facebook.

http://kctactical.blogspot.com/2014/01/v7-57-degree-fire-selector.html?m=1

57 and 60 degree selectors don't take any lower modification. It's only 45 degree selectors that require a 45 degree compatible lower.

They have an Ambi one on the way. As with all their products you can get them custom colored.

Not sure what else to say about them until we start getting them in our hands.

BufordTJustice
01-25-14, 13:22
That selector is on my short list. Been wanting a 60 degree lever for a while. This appears to be one of the lightest, as well. Also, they appear to offer MIL & LEO discounts.

discreet
01-25-14, 15:42
That selector is on my short list. Been wanting a 60 degree lever for a while. This appears to be one of the lightest, as well. Also, they appear to offer MIL & LEO discounts.

Me too, I've stayed away from the BAD lever due to weight also, so now I'll be able to run an ambi selector without adding weight. heck may even be lighter than milspec and that is even more win.

I like the Noveske levers but that are so big and clunky that I never really bothered with them.

discreet
01-27-14, 23:28
Got my rod and retainer put in today. Was a little bummed about the rod. Slipped right through. The flattened/widened area wasnt flat or wide enuf to retain. Just crushed the end in a bench vice and went in. Honestly doesn't look the best lol, but it works. Honestly wasn't going to wait to get it squared away. Hopefully they will just go with a eclip in the future to resolve the variances is receivers.

Retainer is beautiful to say the lest. .05 oz savings with it so nothing much. .2oz savings with the rod.
.25 oz savings is decent considering these two tiny little things.

.19 savings with mag catch, .2 with ti pins, .32 with endplate, .34 with castle nut, .25 with door.

1.55oz of savings, plus if you run a NT Ti forward assist you can add another .4 savings to the list. With these alone your approaching the 2oz mark, plus adding the new v7 selector you will go over the .2oz mark.

May not seem like much but the again, if you run a surefire ultra or WML you can expect 2-4oz savings with those over say a fury, then run DD sights over say Troy fixed and save .3oz, and if using optics use the AP mount which comes in at 2.8oz saving about 4oz over other mounts, you can easily shave 1/2lb off the gun just with these small things. Weight is never much until it starts adding up. Doesn't take much to make a boat anchor out of a gun. Also doesn't take much to keep her light.

WS6
01-27-14, 23:48
Got my rod and retainer put in today. Was a little bummed about the rod. Slipped right through. The flattened/widened area wasnt flat or wide enuf to retain. Just crushed the end in a bench vice and went in. Honestly doesn't look the best lol, but it works. Honestly wasn't going to wait to get it squared away. Hopefully they will just go with a eclip in the future to resolve the variances is receivers.

Retainer is beautiful to say the lest. .05 oz savings with it so nothing much. .2oz savings with the rod.
.25 oz savings is decent considering these two tiny little things.

.19 savings with mag catch, .2 with ti pins, .32 with endplate, .34 with castle nut, .25 with door.

1.55oz of savings, plus if you run a NT Ti forward assist you can add another .4 savings to the list. With these alone your approaching the 2oz mark, plus adding the new v7 selector you will go over the .2oz mark.

May not seem like much but the again, if you run a surefire ultra or WML you can expect 2-4oz savings with those over say a fury, then run DD sights over say Troy fixed and save .3oz, and if using optics use the AP mount which comes in at 2.8oz saving about 4oz over other mounts, you can easily shave 1/2lb off the gun just with these small things. Weight is never much until it starts adding up. Doesn't take much to make a boat anchor out of a gun. Also doesn't take much to keep her light.

I don't think the weight reduction has any real merit considering it's at the receiver end, and is so insignificant. I'd rather thing the innovation and quality of machining is what you're paying for. If you want real weight reduction you will get rid of those DD sights and dump your light and install an SL-1. That gives you a front sight and a light at 3.2oz together on the snout of the gun. 2oz there is worth 4-6oz or more at the receiver for how the gun will actually drive.

discreet
01-28-14, 00:05
I don't think the weight reduction has any real merit considering it's at the receiver end, and is so insignificant. I'd rather thing the innovation and quality of machining is what you're paying for. If you want real weight reduction you will get rid of those DD sights and dump your light and install an SL-1. That gives you a front sight and a light at 3.2oz together on the snout of the gun. 2oz there is worth 4-6oz or more at the receiver for how the gun will actually drive.

Need iron sights. DD are some of the lightest out. Absolutely need a light. 4oz is nothing for what it does. I need lumens, and the sl-1 doesn't do it for me. 500 lumens is an absolute minimum. 2 more oz than a sl-1 for much more light. Worth the additional weight. My thing is I won't run a lightweight part that doen't fit my requirements performance wise. I Run a Rainier Mini comp which is stupid light. Have a Lightweight BFH BCM barrel, and a 14in fortis rail. There is literally nothing else to lose weight wise up front, asides from when v7 releases their .625 gb.

Remember with a mag in the gun, removing weight from that area does help. I just swapped my MOE stock out for a MFT Minamilist stock as well. Yet to weigh the gun as a whole. Probably in the next week or so once a few more things are done. There is only so many places you can lose weight from and I consider the v7 stuff free weight savings in terms of not losing strength or function. Not really into polymer lowers and swiss chees'd spider carriers etc.

Only thing really left is swapping out the BFH barrel for the new BCM barrel when it comes out to shave even more weight. Not going to bother with a BCM rail as the fortis is already stupid light @ 11oz for a 14in rail.

WS6
01-28-14, 00:16
Need iron sights. DD are some of the lightest out. Absolutely need a light. 4oz is nothing for what it does. I need lumens, and the sl-1 doesn't do it for me. 500 lumens is an absolute minimum. 2 more oz than a sl-1 for much more light. Worth the additional weight. My thing is I won't run a lightweight part that doen't fit my requirements performance wise. I Run a Rainier Mini comp which is stupid light. Have a Lightweight BFH BCM barrel, and a 14in fortis rail. There is literally nothing else to lose weight wise up front, asides from when v7 releases their .625 gb.

Remember with a mag in the gun, removing weight from that area does help. I just swapped my MOE stock out for a MFT Minamilist stock as well. Yet to weigh the gun as a whole. Probably in the next week or so once a few more things are done. There is only so many places you can lose weight from and I consider the v7 stuff free weight savings in terms of not losing strength or function. Not really into polymer lowers and swiss chees'd spider carriers etc.

Only thing really left is swapping out the BFH barrel for the new BCM barrel when it comes out to shave even more weight. Not going to bother with a BCM rail as the fortis is already stupid light @ 11oz for a 14in rail.

Bcm rail weighs less than your fortis by 200%+ of your current weight savings. Sl1 is being bumped to 450 otf lumens and 10k lux at 1m as an option that will add less than 1-1.5oz likely.

discreet
01-28-14, 01:08
Bcm rail weighs less than your fortis by 200%+ of your current weight savings. Sl1 is being bumped to 450 otf lumens and 10k lux at 1m as an option that will add less than 1-1.5oz likely.

BCM rails are not even out yet. I need a rail for now. No point in building stuff twice, or buying yet another rail. Your pointing out products that aren't out yet, which doesn't do any good. The sl-1 also mandates the light always be attached without the pain in removing the sight etc. There are times the x300 ultra comes off and a surefire 1k fury goes on. Less pain doing so the better.

The BCM rail also doesn't have a full length bottom rail in which I have an AFG mounted to, as well as a 2nd option to mount my x300. Adding a full length rail on the bottom of the BCM quickly brings it up to the fortis realm weight wise. I learned my lesson once with the 10in Samson rail I have. It turned into a pig with the bottom and side rails on. My requirements need a full bottom rail. It's all preference wise in the end between people. Like said, losing weight without loosing function is what it's about, and thus v7 excels in this department.

Like said I'm happy with the new parts, and the 2oz weight savings. They are not for everyone. I sure wouldn't buy this stuff just for looks.

WS6
01-28-14, 01:16
BCM rails are not even out yet. I need a rail for now. No point in building stuff twice, or buying yet another rail. Your pointing out products that aren't out yet, which doesn't do any good. The sl-1 also mandates the light always be attached without the pain in removing the sight etc. There are times the x300 ultra comes off and a surefire 1k fury goes on. Less pain doing so the better.

The BCM rail also doesn't have a full length bottom rail in which I have an AFG mounted to, as well as a 2nd option to mount my x300. Adding a full length rail on the bottom of the BCM quickly brings it up to the fortis realm weight wise. I learned my lesson once with the 10in Samson rail I have. It turned into a pig with the bottom and side rails on. My requirements need a full bottom rail. It's all preference wise in the end between people. Like said, losing weight without loosing function is what it's about, and thus v7 excels in this department.

Like said I'm happy with the new parts, and the 2oz weight savings. They are not for everyone. I sure wouldn't buy this stuff just for looks.
Gotcha. I did not realize you were building it from nothing. I thought you were removing perfectly good existing parts to add the bling from v7. Why not? If it's a ground up build. I agree.

WS6
01-28-14, 01:17

Gotcha. I did not realize you were building it from nothing. I thought you were removing perfectly good existing parts to add the bling from v7. Why not? If it's a ground up build. I agree.

discreet
01-28-14, 01:42

Yup, new build. Everything has been purchased for a purpose and to keep the weight down. Worked out perfect. Ultimately had to pull the barrel anyways so figured might as well throw the new rod in. Was just a little let down about having to modify the rod to make it work out. I thought about cutting a notch in it for a clip but figured was easier just to smush the end. I'll say this, I wacked it a few times with a flat punch and it didnt flatten out. Took some heavy weight on my large vise to flatten it out. The stuff is friggin hard that is for sure. I guess I could have done the same with a center punch but didn't want to pull the anodizing off.

Honestly I don't think the rod is worth pulling the rail, barrel etc (and if your like me with only a PRI tool, then the muzzle device also so you can get to the barrel nut). IMO only worth doing it on a new build, and for like 4$ why not.

Brahmzy
01-28-14, 07:59
Discreet, what upper rec? I've tried rods in 3 different uppers and they fit and stopped perfectly.

Stickman
01-28-14, 08:20

My comments were made to address certain issues, there wasn't much room for reply on them as they were pretty clear and specific in nature.

discreet
01-28-14, 11:21
Discreet, what upper rec? I've tried rods in 3 different uppers and they fit and stopped perfectly.

Umbrella. Other parts of the receiver out on the high end of spec tolerances so wasn't surprised by it.

Looked at it installed last night and it's more than fine. I'm more towards blaming the receiver than the v7 rod, as even my barrel had wobble in the upper during original install (before bbl nut went on of course), thus why I needed to pull it. I ended up having to bed the barrel extension with high temp rtv and reinstall, thus had the barrel off. Once Umbrella gets more uppers in this one being sent back. Chose rtv as it's super easy to take off.

4 bucks a rod isn't bad. I have 4 more coming just to have for future builds.

Caveman7
01-28-14, 19:31

Looks like Kinetic Concepts Tactical did a review, sounds slick. I am waiting for the ambi.

Caveman7
01-28-14, 19:35
Me too, I've stayed away from the BAD lever due to weight also, so now I'll be able to run an ambi selector without adding weight. heck may even be lighter than milspec and that is even more win.

I like the Noveske levers but that are so big and clunky that I never really bothered with them.

I was told the ambi will be about 2/3 the weight of a standard GI selector, sweeeeet.

jerrysimons
01-28-14, 21:15
I was told the ambi will be about 2/3 the weight of a standard GI selector, sweeeeet.

Mil-spec DD selector weighs .6oz and the Noveske Ambi weighs 5.5oz, I can't say as though the Noveske is clunky or big after using them on 3 rifles but I do look forward to V7's selector.

CoryCop25
01-29-14, 12:06
As far as V7's take on weight savings, I can understand their concept. As far as the 57 degree selector is concerned, I can't grasp their thought process. If you go any further than 50 degrees, you may as well use a 90 degree selector. Noveske's 60 degree selector was based on the 45 degree selector with the addition of the concept that you didn't have to get a specific adaptable receiver or modify the selector to work in standard receivers. V7's selector is just a take on the 60 degree Noveske. Noveske's selectors are made of plastic and have small parts that may fail. As with everything, some things work for some and don't work for others. As I see it, for my style of shooting, it's either 50 or 90 and everything else just gets in the way. Again, there is a reason that there is 1000 flavors of ice cream but other than weight savings, this V7 safety brings nothing else to the table. I'd keep it at 90 degrees and be done with it.

ALCOAR
01-29-14, 12:11
As far as V7's take on weight savings, I can understand their concept. As far as the 57 degree selector is concerned, I can't grasp their thought process. If you go any further than 50 degrees, you may as well use a 90 degree selector. Noveske's 60 degree selector was based on the 45 degree selector with the addition of the concept that you didn't have to get a specific adaptable receiver or modify the selector to work in standard receivers. V7's selector is just a take on the 60 degree Noveske. Noveske's selectors are made of plastic and have small parts that may fail. As with everything, some things work for some and don't work for others. As I see it, for my style of shooting, it's either 50 or 90 and everything else just gets in the way. Again, there is a reason that there is 1000 flavors of ice cream but other than weight savings, this V7 safety brings nothing else to the table. I'd keep it at 90 degrees and be done with it.

Did you not get the scientific memo about the 57 degree testings....trust me, it's optimal :rolleyes:;)

To each their own, but every thing this company produces makes me scratch my head.

discreet
01-29-14, 12:38
Did you not get the scientific memo about the 57 degree testings....trust me, it's optimal :rolleyes:;)

To each their own, but every thing this company produces makes me scratch my head.

The fact that it's taken this friggin long for someone to actually replace the unnecessarily heavy parts that aren't critical to strength makes me scratch my head. Remember what people thought when the ar15 first came out? or when Keymod first came out? Or when small fast projectile concept came out? People just don't like change. Personally I think v7 has opened a worm hole and we will probably see a whole slew of companies follow suit, thus bringing prices down.

To the comment about the selector, 57 degrees is about as far as you can go before you need a 45 degree selector. It seems pretty obvious to why it was chosen. The same reason 45 degree slectors are becoming such a hot seller. Honestly there is little difference between 57 and 45 degrees IMO, but there is a huge difference between 57 and 90 degrees.

IMO again, if someone both doesn't own the parts, nor has actually seen them or used them in person, this is one subject that is best left alone. It's like saying the BCM rails are junk, hokey, and make us scratch our heads when none of us even own it or has used it.

Let the reviews and people happy with their products speak for themselves. Yet to see one unhappy post or comment from an actual owner of a v7 part.

CoryCop25
01-29-14, 12:56
Knowing that the 57 degree selector would rest directly on my thumb while the weapon is on FIRE, is all the reason NOT to own one. Again, 100 flavors of ice cream but I am sure any of us can come up with a dozen items that we would never buy because we know it wouldn't work for us.
Super light rifle? Super idea.
My work rifle is 10 pounds with a loaded mag of 75 gr smks and a can. I have had it deployed for hours wearing full kit hard and soft armor, even had to do some running. It sucks...... Spending a substantial amount of money to save 8 ounces is not going to help me even a little bit.
I don't want to come across as bashing V7 so I will say it again....... Awesome concept, just not for me.

BufordTJustice
01-29-14, 13:05
Knowing that the 57 degree selector would rest directly on my thumb while the weapon is on FIRE, is all the reason NOT to own one. Again, 100 flavors of ice cream but I am sure any of us can come up with a dozen items that we would never buy because we know it wouldn't work for us.
My work rifle is 10 pounds with a loaded mag of 75 gr smks and a can. I have had it deployed for hours wearing full kit hard and soft armor, even had to do some running. It sucks...... Spending a substantial amount of money to save 8 ounces is not going to help me even a little bit.
I don't want to come across as bashing V7 so I will say it again....... Awesome concept, just not for me.

I 100% agree. This is not a good option for you and is not your low-hanging fruit for weight reduction. That is the case for most people.

I've said it before and I'll reiterate now, if somebody hasn't ALREADY gone with a LW or ELW barrel, KMR (or other VERY LW handguard), lightweight stock, and lightweight optic/mount combo, the V7 products have a very low weigh-reduction-per-dollar ratio.

For people who have already done those things, it makes more sense. I understand how it goes with work guns and, with a can, it may not be possible to reduce your carbines weight any more than you already have.

jerrysimons
01-29-14, 13:18
^ Yup.

I don't see much of a difference between in three degrees between 60* of the Noveske STS and 57* in the V7. The Noveske works great. My guess is that 57* is as far as can go safely go in the selector design with out having to do a redesign. When the STS came out Noveske said they couldn't go much past 60* without compromising the safety, they did say this was limited to there design and was not a comment on BADs design. It seems V7s selector is quite similar to Noveske's...

discreet
01-29-14, 18:17

I don't quite understand this. So its going to rest on your thumb, yet it doesn't stick down even remotely close to a lever at the 90 which doesnt rest or stick into your thumb.

Also looking at it, literally 57 is as far as humanly possible to make the selector. The detent holes are so close together that anymore would basically skew the pin and would either bind up, or be scarily unsafe.

IMO the sector if anything with a 57 or 60 degree will give your humb even MORE clearance, because it's not hanging down so friggin low.

jerrysimons
01-29-14, 18:39
I like how the long lever slightly touches my thumb on the 60* STS. It serves as a tactile reminder the safety is off but it is out if the way enough that the thumb does not rest on top of or over the lever. And, like all short throws, it is positioned to quickly flick back to safe without breaking grip.

Brahmzy
01-30-14, 18:50
Got the selector in today. As promised, exactly 50% the weight of a std. mil-spec selector. Excellent machining, nice, perfect contact with the selector detent (comes with mil-spec detent and spring, I swapped with my KNS SS detent and spring.) Overall, another great product. I'll have to do some dry runs and range time to get used to the different angle, but I like it much better already, I'm just so used to reaching my thumb way the hell down there still.

BAD-ASS w/long thin and short thin levers, .6oz, 18g
Mil-Spec, .6oz, 16g
V7, .3oz, 9g

Here's the V7 Selector, Pins, Castle Nut, QD End-Plate, Mag Catch (and a hidden Buffer Retainer Pin.)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/39/k7x.JPG
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/31/tqim.JPG

Here's a few of the V7 Port Door with the V7 Port Door Rod all the way rearward
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/560/ip4n.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/856/q9nk.jpg

Brahmzy
02-04-14, 21:41
New V7 product:
V7 CARBINE BUFFER TUBE
http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-carbine-buffer-tube

I think I'll keep my VLT0R A5 & VLT0R carbine REs. But hey, another affordable choice here, just nothing special that I'm seeing.

jerrysimons
02-04-14, 21:47
New V7 product:
V7 CARBINE BUFFER TUBE
http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-carbine-buffer-tube

I think I'll keep my VLT0R A5 & VLT0R carbine REs. But hey, another affordable choice here, just nothing special that I'm seeing.

I do notice the notches cut out on the ends. They didn't mention it in the item description. It probably only shaves a couple grams. It is competitively priced for a 7075 RE though.

discreet
02-04-14, 22:02
I do notice the notches cut out on the ends. They didn't mention it in the item description. It probably only shaves a couple grams. It is competitively priced for a 7075 RE though.

Yea, don't think it cuts enough weight for them to mention it. IMO it's a better option than the. Position VLTOR extension and probably up there with Colt and BCM RE's. Personally I just went with a Brownells 7075 tube for this build. Got it staked up the day v7 released their tube. O well. Not worth a new end plate and castle nut especially since I've had great experiences with them.

ScatmanCrothers
02-04-14, 22:11
Yea, don't think it cuts enough weight for them to mention it. IMO it's a better option than the. Position VLTOR extension and probably up there with Colt and BCM RE's. Personally I just went with a Brownells 7075 tube for this build. Got it staked up the day v7 released their tube. O well. Not worth a new end plate and castle nut especially since I've had great experiences with them.

Based on what?