PDA

View Full Version : Ride of the Century. Dozens of bikers arrested while at a gas station.

Eurodriver
09-02-13, 08:33
http://www.kmov.com/home/Motorcycles-impounded-riders-arrested-in-North-St-Louis--221786561.html

How do the police know every single rider they arrested was riding recklessly?

One dies after being struck by a police car.

http://www.kmov.com/news/mobile/Ride-of-the-Century-driver-dies-after-crashing-into-police-car-in-south-St-Louis-221960311.html

If any of you don't know what Ride of the Century is you must not live in the St. Louis area. Think thousands of 20 somethings on sport bikes taunting the police, blocking roadways, etc. They remove their tags and just harass the city for a weekend blowing through PD roadblocks and everything.

I have absolutely no idea how MO, KS, IL PD handle this. It seems impossible.

(This first video is hillarious, cop throws his baton at a biker running a road block)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46z0xDg6PwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw1kpR3pHc0

(Here they ride over the grass and head up the wrong way on interstate onramps)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eboR87mjk-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfIs5Mhmr_c

.46caliber
09-02-13, 08:53
A lot of these guys are ass clowns. Every year some of the group pull some foolish shenanigans on the roads, putting themselves and other drivers in danger. They cause a public outcry, law enforcement responds and sometimes goes too far.

I live far enough west, and off the highway, of where this ride takes place that I'm not really affected by it.

I'm no fan of the idea of LE agencies blindly arresting, but I can't say I'm a fan of this event or the bulk of the participants. They can have each other and I'll steer clear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Voodoochild
09-02-13, 09:12
Spike strips would be of great use.

Alpha Sierra
09-02-13, 09:16
I wouldn't mind it if citizens started shooting these douchebags just for participating.

Same goes for the homo bicyclists doing the same thing in major cities.

And old beater truck with angle iron bumpers would be a perfect cruiser to go F with the bikers.

Army Chief
09-02-13, 09:23
I dare say that nobody enjoyed spending a decade out on the Autobahns more than I did, but this kind of Fast & Furious crap is just an open invitation for tragedy ... and the potential for collecting innocents in the process doesn't leave me feeling very sympathetic.

Several months ago, while I was still pretty much down for the count, I was laying in bed and heard a street race go down on a Sunday afternoon on the main thoroughfare just outside of our neighborhood. Max revs, followed by a sickening thud ... and pure, abject silence. I noted the time and told Mrs. AC a few minutes later that "I just heard some people die." The next day's news revealed four dead -- all young -- including two hapless folks that had nothing whatsoever to do with the contest.

I'm all for the sensational ... right up until it becomes indistinguishable from the senseless. This strikes me as the latter.

AC

skydivr
09-02-13, 09:27
I ride sport bikes - and I think these people are dumber than whale shit. Take it to the track. They put themselves and innocents in unnecessary danger.

T2C
09-02-13, 09:29
A race track or other private property would be a good place to let out the badger, so someone who is not involved does not get injured or killed.

I am certain that many of those arrested will try to garner public support for themselves, because of what the evil police did to them.

Army Chief
09-02-13, 09:33
Take it to the track.

Absolutely. The challenges of truly mastering performance driving on a dedicated closed course far eclipse the cheap thrills of running amok on a public roadway.

Of course, I rather doubt that these folks care more about competence than they do confrontation. The whole point of this seems to be "sticking it to The Man."

AC

Ryno12
09-02-13, 09:51
I ride sport bikes - and I think these people are dumber than whale shit. Take it to the track. They put themselves and innocents in unnecessary danger.

I've challenged a good handful of these squids to put their money where their mouth is. A couple decided to do a track day & one went straight for a competition license. They all got embarrassed...

Unfortunately, these guys all reflect poorly on us sport bike enthusiasts.

Sent via Tapatalk

theblackknight
09-02-13, 10:02
These guys are street riding, not none of that gamey track stuff. They ride serious use bikes, not those finicky gamer bikes. Sometimes it's dangerous on the streets, even when you make it so.

TBK out

I've never done one of those critical mass bike rides, but I do enjoy how pissed off people get at them. Assemble the same amount of people in cars, and that's called 5pm traffic. Do the same with a road legal vehicle like a bike, and it's a public nuisance?

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Army Chief
09-02-13, 10:17
These guys are street riding, not none of that gamey track stuff. They ride serious use bikes, not those finicky gamer bikes. Sometimes it's dangerous on the streets, even when you make it so.

TBK out

I've never done one of those critical mass bike rides, but I do enjoy how pissed off people get at them. Assemble the same amount of people in cars, and that's called 5pm traffic. Do the same with a road legal vehicle like a bike, and it's a public nuisance?

I've no idea what you're really trying to communicate here, or if this is just more DP-grade silliness, but yes, when you remove your license plates and intentionally begin circumventing traffic law, going wherever you like and doing whatever you please, that is what I would call a "public nuisance."

Unpredictability, as a rule, is not a good thing on our motorways. It's bad enough out there when folks think they are playing by the rules. Not hating on the sport bikers, but there are better ways of enjoying the ride.

AC

Tzed250
09-02-13, 10:23
While I've had my fair share of hooliganism on the road this is plain out stupid. My goal was always to go where the law and other motorists were few and far between.

rero360
09-02-13, 10:24
There is a huge difference in my mind between a huge number of bikers riding together and follow all the laws (minus maybe noise ordinances) and a bunch of bikers riding recklessly and putting others at risk. You want to risk your life and limb on a track or a private location away from others, fine, thats your right, but to do so on public roads with others, no excuse, they should be charged and punished. Same goes for idiot cagers on the roads putting others in danger.

Safetyhit
09-02-13, 10:38
The affected municipalities should offer sniping permits, of limited time duration only (let's not get barbaric), for the residents in the area who believe these bikers pose a threat to their safety. Can't imagine a more enjoyable time, in fact I'd buy property there as a "vacation" home.

But what to do with all the riderless bikes...

Don Robison
09-02-13, 10:59

TBK out

Glad I don't live where you do but it could be interesting to watch a bunch of soccer moms in SUVs doing wheelies in rush hour traffic. How to they get the front end up on a on their minivan?:rolleyes::D

These guys are assclowns.

Ryno12
09-02-13, 11:00

There's big money in parting out sport bikes. :)

Sent via Tapatalk

Airhasz
09-02-13, 11:02
The affected municipalities should offer sniping permits, of limited time duration only (let's not get barbaric), for the residents in the area who believe these bikers pose a threat to their safety. Can't imagine a more enjoyable time, in fact I'd buy property there as a "vacation" home.

Internet talk, we have all done it. BUT, I highly doubt you would SHOOT AND KILL young men doing stupid things young men do. Even JUSTIFIED shootings can and do haunt thousands of LEO and soldiers for the rest of their lives.

theblackknight
09-02-13, 11:04
I've no idea what you're really trying to communicate here, or if this is just more DP-grade silliness, but yes, when you remove your license plates and intentionally begin circumventing traffic law, going wherever you like and doing whatever you please, that is what I would call a "public nuisance."

Unpredictability, as a rule, is not a good thing on our motorways. It's bad enough out there when folks think they are playing by the rules. Not hating on the sport bikers, but there are better ways of enjoying the ride.

AC

Sorry bro, miscommunication. One poster mentioned bicycles as well above. "Critical Mass''(Google it) is thing in bigger cities where tons of people get together on their bicycles IE pedal bikes, and do a 20mi ride thru the city on busy local streets. It's usually done on a Friday afternoon as a way to remind people that bicycles share the roadway too. Here, we have a lot of bike lanes and cycling is pretty big. Yet, every 3 months or so we have a cyclist get hit despite being lit up like a UFO

Safetyhit
09-02-13, 11:11
Internet talk, we have all done it. BUT, I highly doubt you would SHOOT AND KILL young men doing stupid things young men do. Even JUSTIFIED shootings can and do haunt thousands of LEO and soldiers for the rest of their lives.

You know what, you're right. I don't really want to kill them personally and the comment was a bit of exaggeration. That said, if I lived in the area and either I or my family was terrorized or otherwise endangered by them because of their pure sense entitlement at the expense of others I could give two shits if they were all killed on the way home.

Also if these permits were issued I believe that in itself would see to it that they find another region to ravage for their own pleasure.

Army Chief
09-02-13, 11:14
Ok, now I'm tracking on the whole Critical Mass thing, thanks. That was certainly new to me.

I see nothing malicious about getting together and going on collective rides, of course; it is more the confrontational purpose of the ROC event that gave me pause. One thing I've learned in life is that, if you're go out looking for trouble, you'll probably find it. Or, it will find you. ;)

I'm all for shooting these guys, but with paintball guns, rather than with firearms. Find some kind of permanent marker dye or whatever, get all of the LE types to just blast the offenders on sight, and then go around looking for marked bikes and riding jackets after-the-fact for all of the retroactive citations. lol

AC

T2C
09-02-13, 11:18
I am not in favor of shooting anything at them, paintballs included. I am in favor of having the highway department and fire departments wet down the pavement.

Army Chief
09-02-13, 11:20
I am not in favor of shooting anything at them, paintballs included. I am in favor of having the highway department and fire departments wet down the pavement.

I was kidding, of course, but I think you might actually be on to something there ...

AC

Ryno12
09-02-13, 11:21
I'm all for shooting these guys, but with paintball guns, rather than with firearms.
AC

Go for the tires. Wet paint & traction don't see eye to eye. ;)

Shoot, T2C beat me to it.

Sent via Tapatalk

Frailer
09-02-13, 11:24
...They ride serious use bikes, not those finicky gamer bikes...

This dichotomy seems to exist in every hobby's subculture.

Whenever someone uses the term "gamer" or "poseur" it indicates to me that it's all about being cool.

Safetyhit
09-02-13, 11:30
Wetting the pavement or deploying spike strips would likely lead to either serious injury or death for a person on a motorcycle. Sounds like one way or the other most are content to see a few of them suffer enough so that the "event" fades into history and that's the whole point.

No one in their right mind would advocate such a thing for a few guys on bikes having a good time and even doing a little speeding here and there. But this is a big F-You to the police and townspeople, one which endangers lives and sets a poor precedent if not vigorously challenged.

SkiDevil
09-02-13, 11:31
Everytime I see a large group of motorcyclists I am reminded of this tidbit from Southpark.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxGyKBFCd_u4

All joking aside, I have been riding motorcycles for over 20 years and have no problem with the safe, responsible, riders out there. However, when a individual or group of riders pose a hazard to others on the roadway then they should be dealt with appropriately. I have found a suspension of their license sends a message but nothing is more effective than impounding their vehicle.

These guys in the film are no different than the ricky road racers in the souped up cars both are capable of acting equally foolish.

SpeedRacer
09-02-13, 11:32
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

And it sounds like one of them got the grand prize.

Airhasz
09-02-13, 11:43
It seems these hooligans might have ruined it in that area for respectful sport bike riders as they might be treated harshly by LE after a simple infraction. Officers could now be quick to attach a sport bike to a hook when otherwise a ticket would have been issued.

Sensei
09-02-13, 11:44

TBK out

I hope that your opinions on gun safety are more developed than what you just wrote.

.46caliber
09-02-13, 11:58
At least in MO, its pretty geographically separated. Plus most of these tools have matching stickers, jackets, bikes and or helmets. They're "stunt teams". Even outside of ROC, they ride in noticeable groups. ROC is when they all get together and fringe guys join to go full retard only once a year.

Most riders enjoy normal conditions with LE around here, unless you're wearing a "Streetfighterz" hoodie on your bike. Even then it doesn't mean harassment. Save for ROC. I know a number of guys that keep their bikes parked when ROC happens.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

skydivr
09-02-13, 12:49

TBK out

This cracked me up. My track bike is still street legal (at least in about 10 minutes). The whole point of putting it on the track it to learn what the real limits of your bike are, without the additional danger of cars/pedestrians/children/animals/gravel/etc. It's actually the RESPONSIBLE way to ride fast. A bunch of tards intentionally blocking traffic and stunt is a pretty pitiful way of trying to get attention, like a petulant child.

I don't hardly street ride anymore, too many idiots out there just waiting to kill you. Most of them have huge chicken strips, and while they may look cool doing a burnout, if they got to a turn they'd crash rather than make it. Give us responsible sportbike riders a bad name.

Belmont31R
09-02-13, 13:07
Meh. For all the talk of shooting these guys or whatever else, idiots in cars are what made me sell my bike. Motorists pose way more of a danger to bikers than bikers ever will to people in cars.

We have a big biker rally here every year, and I just avoid the city. Seems to work for me and then I don't get pissy enough to call for people's deaths. Not that I condone street stunting or racing or any of that non sense. It's just easy to avoid and I don't get all worked up over it.

And yes the autobahn is fun. I had my bike over there and was in heaven. Plus they are way more used to people on bikes, mopeds, ect. Here you run into dicks that actively try to run you off the road or mess with you, people on cell phones not paying attention, get pissed because you passed them, ect. I passed a guy in a truck here in a legal passing zone and Mr. Napoleon syndrome caught up to me at a light. Thought I'd be funny to pull up about 2" from the back of my bike and rev his engine. I only had my bike here for a little over a year before I sold it because I thought I'd get killed by an asshole like that. I never rode to piss people off or did stunts on the street. Just was on a sport bike and that alone was enough to throw people into a state of mind where'd they'd start doing stupid things. I never got a ticket, was never in an accident, never ran from the cops, ect. But it's not surprising how people act when you have people calling for shooting someone on a bike.

Safetyhit
09-02-13, 13:29
But it's not surprising how people act when you have people calling for shooting someone on a bike.

Oh stop. I clarified I was exaggerating and that I did not advocate or want to shoot them. Plus there are plenty of others here talking about alternate ways for them be maimed or killed so obviously they strike a nerve.

And not to be harsh but the example you use about dangerous drivers in cars has absolutely nothing to do with a coordinated effort by hundreds if not thousands of wannabe hotshots looking to do nothing but wreak havoc on a specific area because they think they can and deem it to be fun. Other mass bike events like Sturgis may offer a few thugs here and there who push the envelope, but in this case it seems like a free for all where the crazier you ride and the more you elude and incite law enforcement the better.

Belmont31R
09-02-13, 13:43
Oh stop. I clarified I was exaggerating and that I did not advocate or want to shoot them. Plus there are plenty of others here talking about alternate ways for them be maimed or killed so obviously they strike a nerve.

And not to be harsh but the example you use about dangerous drivers in cars has absolutely nothing to do with a coordinated effort by hundreds if not thousands of wannabe hotshots looking to do nothing but wreak havoc on a specific area because they think they can and deem it to be fun. Other mass bike events like Sturgis may offer a few thugs here and there who push the envelope, but in this case it seems like a free for all where the crazier you ride and the more you elude and incite law enforcement the better.

That's about the same for every bike rally, and why I never participated in any bike clubs or mass rides. The most I ever rode with was 3 other bikes.

According to the Austin Police Department, 2012's ROT Rally weekend saw in 175 crashes, 95 injuries, 104 DWI arrests and five deaths – three of which included motorcycles.

http://m.kutnews.org/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F#mobile/8094

wake.joe
09-02-13, 13:52
The power of civil disobedience.

Eurodriver
09-02-13, 14:12
But it's not surprising how people act when you have people calling for shooting someone on a bike.

Tell me about it. LEOs in this very thread talking about deploying spike strips against motorcyclists (potentially lethal combination) coupled with the video of the cops in NJ?

...no wonder they run.

I've only been pulled over once on a bike. Florida Highway Patrol - dude was a total dick and I think it was the same LEO who pulled me over for speeding in my car just 9 months earlier on the same stretch of road and was incredibly professional and gave me a warning.

He pulled me over because the Sunpass didn't register as I went through the e-toll lane. He said I was trying to run it and gave me a $166 3 point ticket. I tried to explain but he didn't wanna hear it. "Imma haff ta' give ya a citation boy!" Just like that.

He looked like a great big blubbering dumbass when we showed up in court and I had the evidence from SunPass showing that even though the electronic unit didn't register it still snapped a pic of my plate and ran it through their system and charged my account. The judge gave him an earful, mainly "Why the heck did you give him a ticket if he obviously has a Sunpass account?" and from what I've heard even local LEOs can't stand FHP. I just wish I could have slapped him in the face for being a bitch about it and wasting my time.

SeriousStudent
09-02-13, 14:29

Civil disobedience should not involve creating risk for innocent third parties. If you ride a motorcycle the wrong way on a freeway ramp, you are doing that.

And I'm saying this as someone that rode a sport bike before most of the posters in this thread were born. My right to ride a fast bike should not increase the risk to an innocent person on the road with me. If it does, I'm doing it all wrong.

I also look at this as someone who used to scrape riders off the pavement for a living. Feel free to donate your organs if you wish. But you should not make that decision for other people.

I've pulled motorcycles and riders from the inside of passenger vehicles. The dead guy inside the pickup didn't get a vote, not did the dead mom and kid inside the car. The jackass that controlled the throttle with his right wrist cast the deciding ballot.

If you ride responsibly, rock on. I'll buy you a cup of coffee at your next stop, and talk carbs, cams and tires with you.

If you don't, then I view you no differently than some hoodrat who uses a stolen Glock to rob a store. You took a potentially deadly device and used it irresponsibly. I don't hate the pistol, I abhor the person and their behavior.

I still like motorcycles, even though I have not ridden one in years. But I hate public jackassery, regardless of it's source. As AC mentioned in previous posts, it's a cultural issue. There is a culture that's a problem, not a device.

Ride safe, keep your eyes and ears open, and have a great fall riding season. October down here is spectacular for rides.

Army Chief
09-02-13, 14:34

Noble enough idea, perhaps, but definitely the wrong application of it here. This is idiocy, not activism.

AC

wake.joe
09-02-13, 15:07
Noble enough idea, perhaps, but definitely the wrong application of it here. This is idiocy, not activism.

AC

Agree completely.

lunchbox
09-02-13, 15:12
I ride sport bikes - and I think these people are dumber than whale shit. Take it to the track. They put themselves and innocents in unnecessary danger.My mother is an ER nurse, and she refers to these people as "The Organ Doners"..

Don Robison
09-02-13, 15:23
from what I've heard even local LEOs can't stand FHP.

The same around here. I've had the same FHP trooper that gave me a rash of shit for my bar height wave at me while I was in uniform on the same bike. The only difference was when he gave me the fixit ticket I was on the back side of a months leave and hadn't shaved or had a haircut in the same amount of time. I pulled the bars back two inches to lower the height and when the local cop signed off on it he reminded me to loc-tite them when I got home and pushed them back up.

I avoid rallies like the plague. Too many assclowns dressed like priates and more trouble than they are worth.

Belmont31R
09-02-13, 15:40
My mother is an ER nurse, and she refers to these people as "The Organ Doners"..

I'm not sure why you would quote someone saying they ride a bike, and proclaim your mother refers to them as organ donors.

lunchbox
09-02-13, 16:25
I'm not sure why you would quote someone saying they ride a bike, and proclaim your mother refers to them as organ donors.I/she was referring to the show boat reckless riders that give the rest a bad name.... I used to ride.

T2C
09-02-13, 17:02
My mother is an ER nurse, and she refers to these people as "The Organ Doners"..

I laughed out loud when I read this. It's organ "donors" isn't it?

I have been riding motorcycles for over 35 years and have been called worse. I rode motocross, sportbikes, cruisers and was a motorcycle officer for two years. Even the other officers gave me a hard time for patrolling on a motorcycle.

If the Ride of the Century crowd wants to go to a racetrack or an abandoned shopping mall parking lot and paint their hair green, set their mustaches on fire, do burn outs, do wheelies and howl at the moon, I could not care less.

Once they decided to go on a public roadway and involve innocent motorists in their antics, they crossed the line a lot of us do not want to see them cross.

Let's hear some more names. Someone has to be able to do better than organ donor. :D

Army Chief
09-02-13, 17:08
Here I was thinking that organ Doners must have been some kind of offal-based variation of the classic German Imbiss snack. I mean, I'm into Doner Kabobs and all, but still ...

If the Ride of the Century crowd wants to go to a racetrack or an abandoned shopping mall parking lot and paint their hair green, set their mustaches on fire, do burn outs, do wheelies and howl at the moon, I could not care less.

Once they decided to go on a public roadway and involve innocent motorists in their antics, they crossed the line a lot of us do not want to see them cross.

I was actually going to go with "cruise up and down some side street, naked and on-fire, with clothespins on their nipples," but yeah ... same basic idea here. ;)

AC

Tzed250
09-02-13, 17:17
I have seen someone die right before my eyes after hitting the side of a highwall on a Hayabusa. The result of overestimating ability while street racing. It was a rough day...

lunchbox
09-02-13, 18:01
I laughed out loud when I read this. It's organ "donors" isn't it?
Whoops! Puts a new twist on the "Organ Donner Party"!:D

7.62WildBill
09-02-13, 19:39
Here is an old joke:

What's the difference between a motorcycle and a vacuum cleaner?

The dirtbag goes INSIDE the vacuum cleaner! ;)

On the topic, I have witnessed various "Bike Week" gatherings in towns like Myrtle Beach and Daytona Beach. Always plenty of asshats putting the public at risk. The interesting thing about Myrtle Beach is that only 5% of the bikers wear helmets, since there is no state law requiring such. My buddies Dad (who is the best track rider I know) says, "If you aren't smart enough to wear a helmet, you must not have much to protect."

T2C
09-02-13, 20:12
I have seen someone die right before my eyes after hitting the side of a highwall on a Hayabusa. The result of overestimating ability while street racing. It was a rough day...

You learned a valuable lesson. Life is not without risk, so take no day for granted.

If the person you watched die before your eyes was not a close friend, be grateful.

Safetyhit
09-02-13, 20:21
Several months ago, while I was still pretty much down for the count, I was laying in bed and heard a street race go down on a Sunday afternoon on the main thoroughfare just outside of our neighborhood. Max revs, followed by a sickening thud ... and pure, abject silence. I noted the time and told Mrs. AC a few minutes later that "I just heard some people die." The next day's news revealed four dead -- all young -- including two hapless folks that had nothing whatsoever to do with the contest.

I'm all for the sensational ... right up until it becomes indistinguishable from the senseless. This strikes me as the latter.

AC

Didn't want this to go unnoticed but also don't want to inflame bad memories. Treading lightly, what did they hit to kill two others?

T2C
09-02-13, 20:27
Didn't want this to go unnoticed but also don't want to inflame bad memories. Treading lightly, what did they hit to kill two others?

I was thinking about asking the same question Chief. I can understand if you don't want to answer.

theblackknight
09-02-13, 20:31
Tell me about it. LEOs in this very thread talking about deploying spike strips against motorcyclists (potentially lethal combination) coupled with the video of the cops in NJ?

...no wonder they run.

I noticed that too, with a "moderator" Voodoochild too. Alpha Sierra dosent see anything wrong with shooting bicyclists for tooling around town on city streets. "Safetyhit"(ironic screen name for the topic) wants a time sensitive sniping permit. No wonder Obama dosent want you tards getting more Garands.

Is this forum really filling with a bunch of belt fed, Burt Gummer retards looking for any reason to shoot people?

T2C
09-02-13, 20:35
I am retired LEO and I never, ever, would have thought about deploying stop sticks to stop a motorcycle. I think some people post what they are thinking out of frustration and do not post what they would actually do in a particular situation.

Safetyhit
09-02-13, 20:42
I noticed that too, with a "moderator" Voodoochild too. Alpha Sierra dosent see anything wrong with shooting bicyclists for tooling around town on city streets. "Safetyhit"(ironic screen name for the topic) wants a time sensitive sniping permit. No wonder Obama dosent want you tards getting more Garands.

Is this forum really filling with a bunch of belt fed, Burt Gummer retards looking for any reason to shoot people?

Since you are utterly incapable of either sensible dialog or reason I take your opinion as worth less than something not so good. Additionally if you can't see the forest through the trees on this then it speaks volumes.

Tzed250
09-02-13, 20:47
You learned a valuable lesson. Life is not without risk, so take no day for granted.

If the person you watched die before your eyes was not a close friend, be grateful.

Not a close friend, I had just met him days earlier. Next month it will be 15 years ago that I did lose a close friend after be highsided in turn 5 at Road Atlanta and was hit by another racer.

T2C
09-02-13, 20:53
Not a close friend, I had just met him days earlier. Next month it will be 15 years ago that I did lose a close friend after be highsided in turn 5 at Road Atlanta and was hit by another racer.

The longer you live, the more of this you will see. It changes your perspective.

Back to the R.O.C. A person should not engage in rude behavior in public regardless of what they might be doing, including riding motorcycles. What you do in private is one thing, but when ladies and children are present the rules governing acceptable behavior are quite different.

Safetyhit
09-02-13, 20:54
I hate to over post in any one thread but to clarify how absurd this argument of sorts is, imagine anything more palatable to most here than a hoard of mindless zombies overtaking their town on motorcycles on a routine annual basis. They drive the highways and inner streets with complete disregard for what anyone around them thinks or feels, but this of course only because they're dead and don't know any better.

How much worse is it within that context when the crazed bikers are actually living, thinking and willing humans?

T2C
09-02-13, 20:57
I hate to over post in any one thread but to clarify how absurd this argument of sorts is, imagine anything more palatable to most here than a hoard of mindless zombies overtaking their town on motorcycles on a routine annual basis. They drive the highways and inner streets with complete disregard for what anyone around them thinks or feels, but this of course only because they're dead and don't know any better.

How much worse is it within that context when the crazed bikers are actually living, thinking and willing humans?

They are independent minded and have balls enough to push back against the government. They sound a lot like our founding fathers.

I don't have a problem with what they are doing, just where they are doing it.

theblackknight
09-02-13, 21:02
Since you are utterly incapable of either sensible dialog or reason I take your opinion as worth less than something not so good. Additionally if you can't see the forest through the trees on this then it speaks volumes.

Notice you didnt actually address anything, just spoke in vague language.

Safetyhit
09-02-13, 21:03
They are independent minded and have balls enough to push back against the government. They sound a lot like our founding fathers.

I don't have a problem with what they are doing so much as where they are doing it.

We see eye to eye on most things but where you came up with this I'll never understand. To compare these derelict troublemakers to our founding fathers is...well I don't even know what. Maybe we use the same logic in regard to stealing copper from public utilities or tossing Molotov cocktails into parked police cars.

But then again maybe I should have given you more time to reconsider and delete.

Kokopelli
09-02-13, 21:04
This kinda stuff is just BS, period. Camera's would be the deal breaker here, followed by roadblocks, sweeps of rally points, arrests, impounding of bikes etc.. Hell, traffic light cameras leave little wiggle room. Follow all that up with a trip downtown, revoking the DL and a $2500 fine. Things would calm down after a-bit.. IMO.. I did a lot of dumb stuff as a youth on bikes, but I got no sympathy for the riders on this one.. sorry..

T2C
09-02-13, 21:08
Let me clarify. Having a wild hair and the need to let the badger out when you are a young man should not be unexpected. Endangering others while satisfying that need is unacceptable.

Even though I find their behavior unacceptable, I would not lump them all into one category and write them all off. These young men are independent minded, but in my opinion are a little misguided.

Where would you recruit combat Marines? At this event or the library? They are young and full of themselves and need some guidance.

Army Chief
09-02-13, 21:44

Another car, uninvolved in the contest, coming from the other direction. If I've got my facts right, the accident was initiated when one of the competitors lost control and crossed over the center line into oncoming traffic. The other competitor kept going and was tracked down later in the week.

I've also worked more than my share of fatal air and ground accidents as an investigator, and motorcycle crashes always seem to be especially tragic -- and usually grisly. Even a relatively minor accident seems to result in disturbing amputations and such, and helmet or no, the inevitable head strikes are never good.

I like the idea of a nice bike, but am much too aggressive by nature to even try to get away with it. I stuck to performance cars, and lived. ;)

AC

T2C
09-02-13, 21:52
Another car, uninvolved in the contest, coming from the other direction. If I've got my facts right, the accident was initiated when one of the competitors lost control and crossed over the center line into oncoming traffic. The other competitor kept going and was tracked down later in the week.

I've also worked more than my share of fatal air and ground accidents as an investigator, and motorcycle crashes always seem to be especially tragic -- and usually grisly. Even a relatively minor accident seems to result in disturbing amputations and such, and helmet or no, the inevitable head strikes are never good.

I like the idea of a nice bike, but am much too aggressive by nature to even try to get away with it. I stuck to performance cars, and lived. ;)

AC

Thank you for sharing your experience. Helmet or not, riding a motorcycle is a high risk activity. You can imagine the comments I heard, when I rolled up on a police motorcycle to assist with crash reconstruction at a motorcycle fatality.

Bowser
09-02-13, 21:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMQY6k16TU

Mac5.56
09-02-13, 22:19
I'd rather deal with that then a bunch of geriatric 1%'s and their over weight offspring.

bp7178
09-02-13, 22:23
How do the police know every single rider they arrested was riding recklessly?

The whole event was very widely publicized on the part of the riders. A lot went into its organization. This just gave plenty of time to prepare a response.

One dies after being struck by a police car.

That's pretty loaded.

The was the article explains it is that three riders were doing stunts in close proximity to a police car and one rider caught a mirror and lost control.

The intersection involved, January and Elizabeth, is a residential area.

As the incident involved a fatality, a full reconstruction of the collision is done. This includes data from the vehicle(s) computers. If you've never seen one of those reports, its staggering the amount of data that is contained within them.

scoutfsu99
09-02-13, 22:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMQY6k16TU

Lol, Founding Fathers indeed:rolleyes:

scoutfsu99
09-02-13, 23:02
These guys were in St. Louis?

Birds of a feather and all that.

But just watched some youtube of Ride of the Century. I'm glad these freedom fighters....Founding Fathers....or whatever you consider them are sticking it to the man by riding recklessly through traffic. They're really fighting the government by impeding traffic, forcing motorists to swerve out of lanes, and more. Viva la revolucion!

T2C
09-02-13, 23:05
Birds of a feather and all that.

But just watched some youtube of Ride of the Century. I'm glad these freedom fighters....Founding Fathers....or whatever you consider them are sticking it to the man by riding recklessly through traffic. They're really fighting the government by impeding traffic, forcing motorists to swerve out of lanes, and more. Viva la revolucion!

Read my previous posts. They should not be doing this on public streets.

bp7178
09-03-13, 09:49
Do you have a news source?

A news source for what?

bp7178
09-03-13, 10:14
It's contained in the link in the original post.

Irish
09-03-13, 10:14
I don't know the specifics about the event but young people do stupid shit, period. Now with everybody owning a video camera, Youtube and social media I think the problems will only get bigger.

As a young man, 18 to early 20's, I rode around with a bunch of other reckless dudes and the expectation was that if you got lit up by the police you dump it 2 gears and punch it. Today, if I saw me then, I'd kick my own ass.

Safetyhit
09-03-13, 11:51
Today, if I saw me then, I'd kick my own ass.

Come to this realization more times than I can count. Not even sure why I'm still alive but so be it, I'm here and a father so now I show my genuine thanks and try to compensate. Sure many here can relate in one context or the other.

Alpha Sierra
09-03-13, 13:37
I wouldn't go out of my way to swerve for any of those tools.

In fact, their asshattery would make me hold the line hard and let them hit me.

Being in a car, I'm about 99% sure I will win.

Alpha Sierra
09-03-13, 13:40
Alpha Sierra dosent see anything wrong with shooting bicyclists for tooling around town on city streets.

Cut the bullshit. Critical Mass isn't tooling around town on city streets and you damned well know it.

skydivr
09-03-13, 13:44
Come to this realization more times than I can count. Not even sure why I'm still alive but so be it, I'm here and a father so now I show my genuine thanks and try to compensate. Sure many here can relate in one context or the other.

It's called PERSPECTIVE :) How I made it to adulthood without hurting myself/others/no police record is still a mystery to me....

Eurodriver
09-03-13, 13:46
I wouldn't go out of my way to swerve for any of those tools.

In fact, their asshattery would make me hold the line hard and let them hit me.

Being in a car, I'm about 99% sure I will win.

I'm glad you left that 1% out there...because you never know...

http://www.kval.com/news/local/Pickup-driver-dies-in-crash-with-motorcycle-217321391.html

INDEPENDENCE, Ore. -- A man died Sunday morning after a motorcyclist crashed into his pickup and flew through the truck's windshield on Highway 51, state troopers said.

Officials say that the motorcyclist, 22-year-old Bradley Mosey of Independence, received non-life threatening injuries and is being treated in the hospital.

According to the police report, Billy Austin, 77 of Monmouth, was driving his Chevy pickup north on Highway 51 when at around 11:30 a.m. he made a left turn into a driveway.

Austin was about a quarter of the way into his turn when officials say Mosey hit the right-front corner of the truck, flew off his motorcycle and through the pickup's windshield.

T2C
09-03-13, 15:35
I'm glad you left that 1% out there...because you never know...

http://www.kval.com/news/local/Pickup-driver-dies-in-crash-with-motorcycle-217321391.html

Quote:
INDEPENDENCE, Ore. -- A man died Sunday morning after a motorcyclist crashed into his pickup and flew through the truck's windshield on Highway 51, state troopers said.

Officials say that the motorcyclist, 22-year-old Bradley Mosey of Independence, received non-life threatening injuries and is being treated in the hospital.

According to the police report, Billy Austin, 77 of Monmouth, was driving his Chevy pickup north on Highway 51 when at around 11:30 a.m. he made a left turn into a driveway.

Austin was about a quarter of the way into his turn when officials say Mosey hit the right-front corner of the truck, flew off his motorcycle and through the pickup's windshield.

Now that is a real bad run of luck for the pickup truck driver. It usually ends up the other way around.

Take no day for granted, for tomorrow is promised to no one.

theblackknight
09-03-13, 16:00
Cut the bullshit. Critical Mass isn't tooling around town on city streets and you damned well know it.

Really? Here's on of my high school buddies youtube videos of a CM ride in my hometown. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gukn7tgkHDA I guess all the semi retired folk and 8yo's in pink were up to no good.:agree: Taking a look at this page, it really seems as tho these riders are hell bent on destruction! http://www.sfcriticalmass.org/

Maybe something like CM could be different from city to city? So which tactical boot is best for inserting into ones mouth?

Grizzly16
09-03-13, 20:00
Ok, now I'm tracking on the whole Critical Mass thing, thanks. That was certainly new to me.

I see nothing malicious about getting together and going on collective rides, of course; it is more the confrontational purpose of the ROC event that gave me pause. One thing I've learned in life is that, if you're go out looking for trouble, you'll probably find it. Or, it will find you. ;)

I'm all for shooting these guys, but with paintball guns, rather than with firearms. Find some kind of permanent marker dye or whatever, get all of the LE types to just blast the offenders on sight, and then go around looking for marked bikes and riding jackets after-the-fact for all of the retroactive citations. lol

AC

I'd vote for a mixed mag/hopper? of permanent dye and pepper spray paintballs....

Eurodriver
09-03-13, 20:22
I have a question for the cagers:

So when your wives and daughters are texting and driving in their big ass SUVs and almost run me over - can I shoot at them? With what? Firearm? Paintball gun?

Its cool, really. Bikers are just enjoying the ride and don't have a desire to kill. Most guys usually just break the little girl's mirror off or dent her door in. Doesn't really do anything to help mend relations (because 90% of the time they have no idea why the hell they just got vandalized...too busy texting) but when a person has almost just gotten killed, formality is not in his mindset.

Example:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/23308835/motorcyclist-charged-after-road-rage-incident-shooting

Cagers read this article and went: "What a psycho ass motorcyclist!"

Bikers read the article and went: "Totally obvious that what started the whole incident was that lady almost ran those guys over."

I'll try not to let the info slip out amongst my lesser rational riding buddies that PD and citizens alike want to be issued "sniping permits" similar to what we used to wish we could do to terrorists. They have a bad habit of tossing spark plugs at windshields when they feel they've been disrespected.

SeriousStudent
09-03-13, 21:26
Eurodriver, I am buying what you are selling.

That's the cultural thing I was referring to earlier. A dangerous person is a dangerous person. If they have a SUV with more muzzle energy than a bike, they are just that much more dangerous.

My biggest complaint is with drivers/riders who treat you and I like we are a prop in the play that is their life. Not an actor - a prop. Actors are people that get hurt. Props are images on cardboard you can flatten without a thought. They are the only people in their lives, everyone else is just window dressing.

Dude, if you and I ever meet in person, I'm telling you the story about the brainless chick in Oceanside in the convertible Corvette that nearly killed me, when I was riding my GPZ1100. It was epic. ;)

Eurodriver
09-03-13, 21:36
Eurodriver, I am buying what you are selling.

That's the cultural thing I was referring to earlier. A dangerous person is a dangerous person. If they have a SUV with more muzzle energy than a bike, they are just that much more dangerous.

My biggest complaint is with drivers/riders who treat you and I like we are a prop in the play that is their life. Not an actor - a prop. Actors are people that get hurt. Props are images on cardboard you can flatten without a thought. They are the only people in their lives, everyone else is just window dressing.

Dude, if you and I ever meet in person, I'm telling you the story about the brainless chick in Oceanside in the convertible Corvette that nearly killed me, when I was riding my GPZ1100. It was epic. ;)

Its like you take my morning commute with me or something. I don't even ride my bike as my DD. I did that for about 9 months on my last bike but its just too wild. I know exactly what you are talking about. They pull out in front of you, cut you off, just this morning some "12 o clock boy" in a 20 year old Caprice with rims drifted into my lane as we were making a left turn (two lane turn lane) as i looked at him i could see he wasnt even looking at the road and had his phone up in his face. If I drove a big truck and not an expensive car I would just slam into these fools every day and use their own 1800 ask Gary against them.

But I'll take 100 ignorant texting fools over that 1 jerkwad who is intentionally out to run you over if it means they save 5 minutes on their commute.

If we ever get to swap stories remind me to tell you of the only time I've ever ..."contacted" another vehicle while riding :)

SeriousStudent
09-03-13, 22:03

If we ever get to swap stories remind me to tell you of the only time I've ever ..."contacted" another vehicle while riding :)

You have a deal. Then we'll end up trying to outdo each other for stories that should be in Terminal Lance, but weren't. ;)

There are just too many booger-eaters on the road. I have a buddy that commutes about 12 miles each way to work on a mountain bike. He carries a pair small USB video cameras, mounted front and rear.

His reasoning? "So my widow can sue the person that kills me".

And just for the record, I have never done anything to any other driver. I'm a kind, gentle old soul that loves puppies and rainbows and unicorns.

Eurodriver
09-04-13, 09:46
There are just too many booger-eaters on the road. I have a buddy that commutes about 12 miles each way to work on a mountain bike. He carries a pair small USB video cameras, mounted front and rear.

His reasoning? "So my widow can sue the person that kills me".

I was going to post this anyway, but your post really hit home recently here locally.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2013/9/3/bicyclist_dies_as_a_.html

CLEARWATER --
The man charged in Monday's fatal bicycle hit-and-run crash in Clearwater is scheduled to face a judge Wednesday.

The hit-and-run accident killed one bicyclist and left another in critical condition. At a news conference Tuesday night, police identified the charged man as 29-year-old Christopher Patrick Weed.

He faces one count of leaving the scene of an accident with death and one count of leaving the scene of an accident with serious bodily injury.

Ran a young couple off the road who were on an early morning labor day tandem bicycle ride. Its not like he was in a rush hour commute. There was no traffic at 0630 on the road in question. The bicyclists weren't even in a traffic lane.

Took a few days to catch him but that was only because of an anonymous tipster reporting that his truck was suddenly missing a windshield. :rolleyes:

Very similar scenario occurred not too far from that just a few months ago. Douchebag hit the cyclist so hard he fell over the overpass wall and died from injuries he sustained from the fall.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_hillsborough/hcso-arrest-made-in-fatal-hit-and-run-involving-bicyclist-on-us-92-overpass

Its just not worth it to me to ride a bicycle. Too many nutcases. But, in keeping with the thread topic, that doesn't mean cyclists should resort to critical mass...

Grizzly16
09-04-13, 09:55
So when your wives and daughters are texting and driving in their big ass SUVs and almost run me over - can I shoot at them? With what? Firearm? Paintball gun?

Yes. We have a strict policy of no texting & driving. Or even long chats on the phone. If it is a quick "yep, on my way" and the road is clear maybe..

theblackknight
09-04-13, 12:36
My dad and all his bros where all harley guys, and my dad being a machinist and doing side work for the local shop, he was very popular. Most everyone had at least a ball peen hammer riding somewhere on the fork tubes for all the suburban driving trophy wives who cant check a dam blind spot.

T2C
09-04-13, 13:43
My dad and all his bros where all harley guys, and my dad being a machinist and doing side work for the local shop, he was very popular. Most everyone had at least a ball peen hammer riding somewhere on the fork tubes for all the suburban driving trophy wives who cant check a dam blind spot.

I know some call a ball peen hammer a traffic cop, but I was always told by members of the motorcycle community a ball peen hammer was necessary to work on the Harley when it breaks down.

Sensei
09-04-13, 13:45
I have a question for the cagers:

Its cool, really. Bikers are just enjoying the ride and don't have a desire to kill. Most guys usually just break the little girl's mirror off or dent her door in. Doesn't really do anything to help mend relations (because 90% of the time they have no idea why the hell they just got vandalized...too busy texting) but when a person has almost just gotten killed, formality is not in his mindset.

Example:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/23308835/motorcyclist-charged-after-road-rage-incident-shooting

Cagers read this article and went: "What a psycho ass motorcyclist!"

Bikers read the article and went: "Totally obvious that what started the whole incident was that lady almost ran those guys over."

I'll try not to let the info slip out amongst my lesser rational riding buddies that PD and citizens alike want to be issued "sniping permits" similar to what we used to wish we could do to terrorists. They have a bad habit of tossing spark plugs at windshields when they feel they've been disrespected.

I see a fair number of motorcycle accidents in my line of work and 2:1 they are the fault of the guy on the bike (either they were solo or caused a collision with the other vehicle). Keep in mind that almost half of the bike accidents we see are single vehicle collisions.

Of the fatalities involving a motorcycle and another vehicle, 42% are due to the vehicle turning left while the motorcycle was attempting to pass or overtake the vehicle. Alcohol is a factor for the motorcycle operator in about 29% of all accidents and 42% of motorcycle fatalities. Excessive speed accounts for almost half of single vehicle motorcycle fatalities. These numbers come from the NHTSA.

The bottom line is that motorcycle drivers are among the most dangerous drivers on the road.

Ryno12
09-04-13, 13:46
I know some call a ball peen hammer a traffic cop, but I was always told by members of the motorcycle community a ball peen hammer was necessary to work on the Harley when it breaks down.

Oh, oh. Was that a can of worms I just heard being cracked open? :D

Sent via Tapatalk

Moose-Knuckle
09-04-13, 15:23
I wouldn't mind it if citizens started shooting these douchebags just for participating.

Same goes for the homo bicyclists doing the same thing in major cities.

And old beater truck with angle iron bumpers would be a perfect cruiser to go F with the bikers.

Here, here!

Simon & Simon's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDhz_mVcVCQ) Power Wagon would do the trick . . .

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/simonandsimonpowerwagon_zpse0b7d12c.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/simonandsimonpowerwagon_zpse0b7d12c.jpg.html)

And as for the homo cyclists . . . they know how to handle them down Mexico way!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/car-accident-cyclists-mexico1_zps2b61e97e.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/car-accident-cyclists-mexico1_zps2b61e97e.jpg.html)

theblackknight
09-04-13, 17:22

You'll need way more tools then that.

SteyrAUG
09-04-13, 21:16
I dare say that nobody enjoyed spending a decade out on the Autobahns more than I did, but this kind of Fast & Furious crap is just an open invitation for tragedy ... and the potential for collecting innocents in the process doesn't leave me feeling very sympathetic.

AC

The reason the autobahn is actually safer than our interstates is they take their driving as seriously as the average person on this forum takes gun safety seriously.

Sadly we have something of a retard nation after decades of telling people they have absolute freedom to do anything they want (except own certain guns of course) and that nothing is "their fault." We even call it "no fault" insurance in most states.

While school shootings are horrible tragedies, nobody seems to think twice about giving a car designed for racing to their high school aged child. And then they have the nerve to be surprised when somebody is dead. And the big difference between giving a high school aged kid a hot rod and an AR15 is we stress a LOT more safety and responsibility before we'd ever dream of giving that kid a rifle and all he has to do is pass a DOT test to qualify for the street racer with most parents.

The other big difference is there was a time when people did this stuff on lonely old highways at the edge of town. Now they do it in town and on the interstate putting everyone else at risk. I have seen jackasses in my neighborhood taking residential streets at 65 mph all the way to their parents driveway.

Army Chief
09-05-13, 02:47
The reason the autobahn is actually safer than our interstates is they take their driving as seriously as the average person on this forum takes gun safety seriously.

Sadly we have something of a retard nation after decades of telling people they have absolute freedom to do anything they want (except own certain guns of course) and that nothing is "their fault." We even call it "no fault" insurance in most states.

While school shootings are horrible tragedies, nobody seems to think twice about giving a car designed for racing to their high school aged child. And then they have the nerve to be surprised when somebody is dead. And the big difference between giving a high school aged kid a hot rod and an AR15 is we stress a LOT more safety and responsibility before we'd ever dream of giving that kid a rifle and all he has to do is pass a DOT test to qualify for the street racer with most parents.

The other big difference is there was a time when people did this stuff on lonely old highways at the edge of town. Now they do it in town and on the interstate putting everyone else at risk. I have seen jackasses in my neighborhood taking residential streets at 65 mph all the way to their parents driveway.

Worth an enthusiastic"Amen!!" from me.

AC