PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gun Noob Shotgun Advice

HokieMike
04-21-08, 21:32
Greetings all. Long time lurker and new member. At the risk of sounding like an AA meeting, I'll start with my (brief) story. I have been a casual pistol and shotgun shooter for a number of years. After really enjoying shooting ARs with a few friends, I bought an AR a few months back. The black rifle disease started! In the course of feeding that addiction, I stumbled on the world of 3 Gun competitions. I came to the Black Creek shoot in March, and was easily sucked into the idea that I might want to get involved with that sport. Which leads me to a shotgun question: What to buy to get started in tactical/3 gun shotgunning? I own a 28" barrel 870, so I could buy a shorter barrel and a mag tube for not too much. I have also been looking at semi auto options. I have a good price on a used 1100 Comp Master, but have been hesitant to pull the trigger with some of the mixed reviews I have read online. I am a noob, so I know I don't need 14/100 cycling time, but a good reliable weapon would be nice. Input would be appreciated.

Also, at the risk of pushing this pos even longer, any of you Black Creek guys that could offer a noob advice on getting started in 3 gun in general and at BC3G specifically would be greatly appreciated. Mike

Buck
04-22-08, 02:25
I’m not a 3-gun guy; but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I would suggest that you hunt around and get a nice used 20 inch IC barrel with rifle sights for your 870, and an inexpensive + 3 extension, and set of lightly used synthetic speed feed stocks... I would then use your 870 until you are so good at 3 gun, that a pump action is slowing you down and keeping you from winning matches, then and only then would I look into a semi auto...

But I would not go crazy buying all new guns when you are still testing the waters...

Just my .02

Buck

rhino
04-22-08, 10:18
If you can get the used Competition Master for a decent price and (more importantly) you can verify with certainty that it functions 100% before you buy it, then it will serve you well with proper maintenance.

If you're going to buy a new shotgun for 3-gun (or even defense), I think the best choice is the Winchester SX2 Practical Mk I or the FNH version of the same. It's the fastest cycling self-loader on the market, and recoil is comparable to a Remington 1100 or 11-87, which means that it's significantly less than that of a Benelli. It comes ready to race, so no modifications are necessary.

Another option would be an older Remington 1100 (from when they used to make them "right"), say in the late 1970s, then have it built by a competent someone to meet your needs and preferences. That too will serve you well.

If you want to stick with your 870 for now or indefinitely, your best bet is to get a 21 inch smoothbore slug barrel with rifle sights that is threaded for choke tubes, plus a magazine extension that holds eight rounds in the tube, plus one in the chamber.

Failure2Stop
04-22-08, 11:03
=If you're going to buy a new shotgun for 3-gun (or even defense), I think the best choice is the Winchester SX2 Practical Mk I or the FNH version of the same.

These are what I am waiting for (haven't found any that I have been able to look over that weren't overpriced).

Question- how do they handle game loads? I assume that since they are marketed to the 3-gunner, they work, but I am not going to assume with a nearly $1K purchase.

rhino
04-22-08, 22:42
These are what I am waiting for (haven't found any that I have been able to look over that weren't overpriced).

Question- how do they handle game loads? I assume that since they are marketed to the 3-gunner, they work, but I am not going to assume with a nearly $1K purchase.

I've only shot a couple of them a few times ... so I don't know the answer to your question. It's moot for me because I use #4 field loads for 3-gun and multi-gun.

signalzero
06-06-08, 01:03
I’m not a 3-gun guy; but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I would suggest that you hunt around and get a nice used 20 inch IC barrel with rifle sights for your 870, and an inexpensive + 3 extension, and set of lightly used synthetic speed feed stocks... I would then use your 870 until you are so good at 3 gun, that a pump action is slowing you down and keeping you from winning matches, then and only then would I look into a semi auto...

But I would not go crazy buying all new guns when you are still testing the waters...

Just my .02

Buck

+1 :D and use the money you save right now for lots of practice ammo!

PS: I quite staying at Holiday Inn Express cause they won't let my dog stay and he is cleaner than some of the people they do let stay...lol

Robb Jensen
06-06-08, 05:16
Buck gave you some great advice.

If you do eventually decide on a semi-auto and you might find yourself shooting USPSA Multigun rules. I'd highly recommend a FN SLP Mark 1 or a Benelli M2.

After my two big 3gun matches this year (Area 8 Multigun match and the Carolina Tactical Invitational) I plan to sell my Benelli M1 and get a FN SLP Mark 1.........it shoots that nicely.

rob_s
06-06-08, 05:47
After my two big 3gun matches this year (Area 8 Multigun match and the Carolina Tactical Invitational) I plan to sell my Benelli M1 and get a FN SLP Mark 1.........it shoots that nicely.

That rib on top looks like it's begging for an H-1/T-1.

http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/m/FNM0130mb.png

rob_s
06-06-08, 05:50
That rib on top looks like it's begging for an H-1/T-1.

http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/m/FNM0130mb.png

For other use, I like the look of the Self-Loading Police Shotgun (SLP) (http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF005&gid=FNG002&cid=FNC01&mid=FNM0018) which similarly looks like it's dying for a Micro. What do you think of the action and such for defensive, non-gaming, use? Thoughts on load variety and such? Ability to handle low-recoil and stout defensive ammo?

http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/m/FNM0018mb.png

Robb Jensen
06-06-08, 06:15
I have a few friends with Winchester SX2s and FN SLPs. The SLPs come with two pistons a light and a heavy, even with the heavy the guns run really good even with China-Mart bulk pack Federal #8s an #7 1/2s birshot.

My one friends SX2 runs on everything except for Winchester ammo.....weird.

Yes a T1 on that rail would be awesome, but for USPSA rules Tactical class I can't have an optic on the shotgun. But for 'outlaw' 3gun at some places I could.

Those are some really soft shooting shotguns, cycle very quickly and they are well balanced and have a big loading port.....all good for competition.

For defensive use they would still be good but being a piston gun they would need to be kept clean and oiled. But they do run well dirty and aren't as finicky as Remington autos.

Perryguy
06-10-08, 10:20
Check out the "Heavy Metal" category in 3-gun. You are limited to an iron-sighted 12 gauge pump. Oh and you have to shoot 308 for the rifle and 45 for the pistol, all with iron-sights only!

kjo
06-10-08, 11:11
i'll add a vote for the Benelli M2 -- i handles everything i put in it

kjo

JaxCatm
06-15-08, 01:49
I run a 870 in 3-gun for two main reasons. I don't have to worry to much about a malfunction and I saved the extra money I would have spent on the auto and put it towards ammo and range fees. If you practice with the pump it is possible to run even with or get around most auto shooters. Learn how to reload fast and put each shot on target. When your skill level exceeds what a pump is able to produce then it's time to step up to the auto.

Gunut
06-15-08, 10:09
I vote for the FN SLP !! For three gun dedicated shot gun I would go with a gun holding more ammo . After your empty then its a reloading contest

gishooter
06-15-08, 16:03
No 3 gun exper. but I have never had a problem with mine, shoots all the crap I feed it. I shot a Benelli M4 and recoil was alot worse on that. The only drawback to the 11-87 is I think it is a pain to load. Might be a cure for that though.

Alaskapopo
06-15-08, 16:28
No 3 gun exper. but I have never had a problem with mine, shoots all the crap I feed it. I shot a Benelli M4 and recoil was alot worse on that. The only drawback to the 11-87 is I think it is a pain to load. Might be a cure for that though.
I have a M4 Benelli what was it worst compared to. I have shot it side by side with a Benelli M2 with the same ammo and it was a lot better. It is comparable to any gas gun because it is a gas gun.
Pat

gishooter
06-15-08, 18:24
Alaskapopo
I thought the recoil on the M4 was alot harder than my 11-87, the one I shot could have been worn, broke, who knows what. I shot one last time I was in Iraq so that may explain things. IMO I thought it had alot of kick for a auto and my Remy seemed easier to control on mulitiple shots. I am by no means a shotgun guru though. Hell it could have even been the ammo. M2C

sernv99
06-20-08, 07:16
I'm looking to add a mag extension to my Benelli M2. What is the recommended mag extension to get to give me the most rounds while sitting flush with a 18.5" barrel? Nordic claims their +3 extension will sit flush to a 18.5" barrel (giving me total 8 rounds in the mag) while DMW mag extension will give me only 7 rounds. I don't see how that is possible with the two being different by one round. Anyone use either one? Also is a barrel/mag clamp necessary?

Thank you.

sff70
06-20-08, 10:21
I have a Benelli M2 Tactical with an 18" barrel.

For 3 gun, I switch out the stock mag tube extension for a Nordic 5 shot extension and spring.

Works good. The mag tube sticks out past the barrel, but that doesn't bother me.

I loaned it to a friend who just got back from the MGM Ironman. Between practice for the match and the match itself, he shot over 550 rounds of shotgun ammo.

Prior to the Benelli, I owned and used in 3 gun a 11-87P, and a Winchester SX2 Practical.

Over time, I shot local matches with the 11-87. I wanted a better shotgun for 3 gun, so bought the SX2 and shot the 2006 USPSA Multigun Nationals with it. It was a great gun, but I sold it because I needed to finance something else.

I later regretted selling it and began looking for another 3 gun shotgun, and found a good price on the Benelli.

sernv99
06-20-08, 11:23
so I assume the Nordic 3 shot extension will sit flush?

Edit: I just called Tim from Nordic, he said the +4 extension will give me 7 rounds in the mag tube but will extend past the barrel. He said the +3 extension gives me 6 rounds total in the mag tube. I guess if I want 7 rounds in the tube, I need to buy an extended choke to make the barrel and mag extension sit flush with each other.

sff70
06-20-08, 23:14
Any particular reason you don't want the mag to extend past the muzzle?

Alaskapopo
06-21-08, 01:03
Any particular reason you don't want the mag to extend past the muzzle?

I know some matches don't allow your mag to stick past the barrel. Not USPSA matches but independant matches.
Pat