PDA

View Full Version : In need of truck tires.

Caeser25
09-02-13, 13:27
So far I have it narrowed down to.

In no particular order.
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Cooper ATP
Cooper AT3
Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure
General Grabber AT2s= read some bad reviews of sidewall flex.
Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2
Nitto trail grabbers

Truck is a Nissan Frontier. It's a fairly light truck with a ton of torque. Driving is a mix of highway, northeast slush, snow and ice, rain. Light offroading that involve more snow, slush, and mud when out hunting. The one positive I don't have to worry about is daily driving, taking the train into town everyday but I'd still like decent mpg and treadwear. What say you? Any positives or negatives about any of these.

Ryno12
09-02-13, 13:40
I have Cooper AT3s & they're the worst tire I've ever owned. Despite the aggressive tread pattern, the traction in snow & mud is terrible. The only positive I found is that they're quiet on the highway. I've had good luck with Bridgestone REVOs & BFG All Terrain T/A's. I shouldn't have switched.

Sent via Tapatalk

VooDoo6Actual
09-02-13, 13:45
Easy Day
Hankook Dynapro ATM

Hands down best value & most durable

Inkslinger
09-02-13, 14:17
Did you consider Goodyear Duratrac. I ran a set on my old TJ and was very happy with them.

Caeser25
09-02-13, 14:53
Did you consider Goodyear Duratrac. I ran a set on my old TJ and was very happy with them.

I did but I didn't think I needed that aggressive of a tire. The Hankook and Revos are on the short list.

Inkslinger
09-02-13, 15:16
They are meatier than the others you're looking at, but they look a little more tame in person. I've recommended them to a few people. They do well in just about every condition, especially snow. Nice long tread life. YMMV, literally! I do a lot of off roading, so I usually want a tread that cleans out well. Good luck.

I did but I didn't think I needed that aggressive of a tire. The Hankook and Revos are on the short list.

Ryno12
09-02-13, 15:40

I never used the Hankooks but I guarantee my next set we be the Revos again.

Sent via Tapatalk

AKDoug
09-02-13, 16:39
I have Cooper AT3s & they're the worst tire I've ever owned. Despite the aggressive tread pattern, the traction in snow & mud is terrible. The only positive I found is that they're quiet on the highway. I've had good luck with Bridgestone REVOs & BFG All Terrain T/A's. I shouldn't have switched.

Sent via Tapatalk I've had completely the opposite experience. I didn't buy them to be a mud tire, but they've worked fantastic in snow and on ice...something I have 6 months out of the year. I feel the same way about BFG AT's that you do the Coopers ..:D

Ryno12
09-02-13, 16:47
I've had completely the opposite experience. I didn't buy them to be a mud tire, but they've worked fantastic in snow and on ice...something I have 6 months out of the year. I feel the same way about BFG AT's that you do the Coopers ..:D

Well I guess we cancel each other out then. I know besides myself, two other people I've talked to, locally to me, had similar experiences. I won't be purchasing them again. Wanna buy a used set? Plenty of tread left...
;)
I will say the BFGs are great til about half the tread depth, then they start to drop off. They're expensive too. That's why I'm going back the the Revo's.

Sent via Tapatalk

bzdog
09-02-13, 17:27
So far I have it narrowed down to.

In no particular order.
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Cooper ATP
Cooper AT3
Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure
General Grabber AT2s= read some bad reviews of sidewall flex.
Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2
Nitto trail grabbers

Truck is a Nissan Frontier. It's a fairly light truck with a ton of torque. Driving is a mix of highway, northeast slush, snow and ice, rain. Light offroading that involve more snow, slush, and mud when out hunting. The one positive I don't have to worry about is daily driving, taking the train into town everyday but I'd still like decent mpg and treadwear. What say you? Any positives or negatives about any of these.

The Bridgestone Revo AT 2. Great grip on pavement and decent in the snow and stuff. Run them on our Jeep and my wife's RDX.

Dis-recommend the Goodyears. Rubbers doesn't seem very sticky. Actually I've been disappointed with every Goodyear tire I've tried, including sport tires.

The Pirelli Scorpions were decent but not as good as the Revo ATs. A little squirmy in comparison. I hear the LTX ATs are OK as well.

Dunno about the others, but I've been running the Revo ATs and now Revo AT2s for years w/o interest in looking for an alternative.

-john

Robb Jensen
09-02-13, 18:16
I put Michelin all terrain (SUV) tires on my truck from Costco a few years ago. Way smoother ride than the BFGoodrich tires I had before.

Jer
09-02-13, 23:21

Don't let the looks fool you. They're are probably the quietest and longest lasting LT tire on your list. They're phenomenal tires and after going through tons I'm not going to put anything else on a 4x4 until someone develops something superior because IMO nothing in existence currently is even close when it comes to all-around tires.

Iraqgunz
09-02-13, 23:30
I recently had my Toyota SR5 4Runner (V-8) outfitted with new Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. They are probably the best ones I have ever owned. The originals were Goodyears.

rjacobs
09-03-13, 00:36
My dad had a Dodge ram 2500 diesel with some BFG All Terrain TA's that went almost 80k miles, he switched to some Revo's and I think they were shot after 35-40k miles. He rotates tires every 5k miles and checks his pressure weekly, he's a bit anal about tires. Revo's were run under the same conditions as the BFG AT's. He went back to the BFG's and they had 40k ish on them when he sold the truck and still looked great.

I have BFG All Terrain TA's on my Wrangler TJ. Lots of Jeep guys run them. Not a great off road mud tire, but they arent designed to be either. Mine have done great in the snow, although we dont get a TON here in Missouri. They have done pretty dang good off road when aired down too, again not as good as a true MT tire, but I dont expect them to do as good.

Just another tire to throw into the mix.

Endur
09-03-13, 00:44
I don't know much about tires but I have Toyo Open Country all terrains on my truck and they are great. They are very quite and I have used them in snow, mud, highway, dirt etc. and they have performed excellently. I had them on my truck since about 65k and now have 91k and they still look brand new.

4x4twenty6
09-03-13, 01:23
I just put a set toyo open country a/t II Xtreme on my 4x4 f150 and they are very quiet and ride great. Street manners are awesome. Haven't had them off road yet.

Endur
09-03-13, 01:47
Here is a couple pics of my truck to give an idea to people what the Toyos looks like.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/KungFuHyphy/newpic4.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/KungFuHyphy/newpic3.jpg

sammage
09-03-13, 08:59
Easy Day
Hankook Dynapro ATM

Hands down best value & most durable

Have had these on my 4Runner for a year now, and still look new. My friend who runs a tire shop recommended them after hearing all the positive feedback from guys using them on work trucks in the oil fields. Very quiet for an A/T tire, great traction and stability.

brickboy240
09-03-13, 09:55
I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD with a 3' lift and run nothing but BFG All Terrain TA K-O's on the beast. (33" tires)

Have tried Wranglers and Toyos but the BFGs last longest.

-brickboy240

bzdog
09-03-13, 10:03
My dad had a Dodge ram 2500 diesel with some BFG All Terrain TA's that went almost 80k miles, he switched to some Revo's and I think they were shot after 35-40k miles.

FWIW, longevity in a tire may not always be a plus because often it is at the expense of grip due to the use of harder rubbers.

Personally I want the most grip possible.

YMMV.

-john

TomF
09-03-13, 10:23
Revo 2's have been great on our company Suburban. It's seen A LOT of highway miles, crawled its way back to some remote ranges and camping areas, and done well through a couple Cleveland winters.

I have had two sets of Firestone Destination A/T's on my personal vehicles (they are a cheaper alternative to the Revo) and I have been VERY impressed with them as well. Low road noise, great mud/sand/snow performance.

skydivr
09-03-13, 11:27
I'm having a set of Dueler AT Revo 2's put on my truck today; this will be my third or 4th set. They got great mileage, and at least when new, hold in dry and wet just fine...Also normally at a pretty good price.

Jer
09-03-13, 11:34
FWIW, longevity in a tire may not always be a plus because often it is at the expense of grip due to the use of harder rubbers.

Personally I want the most grip possible.

YMMV.

-john

I would put Duratracs up against any other tire as far as performance & traction in any condition. These are fantastic tires all the way around and they don't do so at the expense of road noise or low tread wear numbers.

Since we're posting up pics of what they look like....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T6w5dtOsu3U/Ug1UotwrIKI/AAAAAAAAHLc/41exXdiA5dA/s1024/IMAG1518_1_1.jpg

...yeah, they look bad ass too. :cool:

That's also only a 265/75r16.

Caeser25
09-03-13, 11:56
I would put Duratracs up against any other tire as far as performance & traction in any condition. These are fantastic tires all the way around and they don't do so at the expense of road noise or low tread wear numbers.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T6w5dtOsu3U/Ug1UotwrIKI/AAAAAAAAHLc/41exXdiA5dA/s1024/IMAG1518_1_1.jpg

How are they in the rain?

Jer
09-03-13, 12:29
How are they in the rain?

Like I said, they're top performers in all conditions. Off-road, rain, snow, whatevs. These things gots tha megabits! :D

ASH556
09-03-13, 15:01
Maybe I'm old school and they're not cheap, but the BFG AT's would still be my choice. I had 90K on my last set when I replaced them with, you guessed it, the same thing. Daily driver '06 GMC Quad Cab Z71. 80 mile round trip daily commute.

jaxman7
09-03-13, 15:41
Maybe I'm old school and they're not cheap, but the BFG AT's would still be my choice. I had 90K on my last set when I replaced them with, you guessed it, the same thing. Daily driver '06 GMC Quad Cab Z71. 80 mile round trip daily commute.

Have been using BFG AT (and newer TKOs) for 10 years now. Excellent AT tire. Have a 2003 ZR2 and it has been a fantastic vehicle. Came standard w/the BFG AT.

Said affair that I paid $400 for a set with free shipping from 4WD.com in 2007. One Month ago I paid $190 for ONE BFG AT. :mad:

-Jax

Ryno12
09-03-13, 15:58

I'm seriously considering dumping my Coopers (20k miles) before this winter & was planning on getting the Revos. I've got the same truck( Chevy) as you & if you got 90k+ on BFGs, I'd consider them. I haven't ran them in years but I remember when the tread got below half, the traction started to suck. Is that still the case? I was only able to get about 35k on the Revos I had so despite the BFGs being expensive, they'd be cheaper in the long run.

Sent via Tapatalk

ASH556
09-03-13, 16:12
I'm seriously considering dumping my Coopers (20k miles) before this winter & was planning on getting the Revos. I've got the same truck( Chevy) as you & if you got 90k+ on BFGs, I'd consider them. I haven't ran them in years but I remember when the tread got below half, the traction started to suck. Is that still the case? I was only able to get about 35k on the Revos I had so despite the BFGs being expensive, they'd be cheaper in the long run.

Sent via Tapatalk

We don't have much winter weather here in GA but we do have red clay, which is slicker than whatever gross euphemism you might imagine and has a bad habit of filling any tread. That said, my set with 60K got me out of some bad places and even at 90K right before I swapped them out, I made it out of some wet places...it just took 4WD when before 2WD would have worked...hard to get traction on a wet laid-down hayfield.

Here's a pic @ 90K

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/20120214_081510.jpg

Alaskapopo
09-03-13, 16:14
I've had completely the opposite experience. I didn't buy them to be a mud tire, but they've worked fantastic in snow and on ice...something I have 6 months out of the year. I feel the same way about BFG AT's that you do the Coopers ..:D

I got some Coopers recently based on the recommendation of a friend who also had good luck with them on the snow and ice we get here. So far I am loving mine. We will see this winter.
Pat

Watrdawg
09-03-13, 16:20

I'm running my second set of Duratracs on my truck. I'm driving a GMC 2500HD diesel. My first set lasted a little over 45K miles. Road noise isn't a big deal and overall traction is great. I run in all sorts of conditions. My driving is a mix of highway, city, trails, dirt roads etc. I love the tires. I've ran the REVO's, BFG A/T's and Toyo Open Country A/T's and none of them compare to the Duratrac's.

sjc3081
09-03-13, 16:24
Www.tirerack.com
Put in your truck and conditions and let an expert tell you what tire you should get.

Ryno12
09-03-13, 16:55
We don't have much winter weather here in GA but we do have red clay, which is slicker than whatever gross euphemism you might imagine and has a bad habit of filling any tread. That said, my set with 60K got me out of some bad places and even at 90K right before I swapped them out, I made it out of some wet places...it just took 4WD when before 2WD would have worked...hard to get traction on a wet laid-down hayfield.

Here's a pic @ 90K

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/20120214_081510.jpg

Oh yeah, sorry. I didn't notice that you were in Braselton.
BTW, I've turned many a laps at Road Atlanta... nice area.

Sent via Tapatalk

Jer
09-03-13, 20:00
Www.tirerack.com
Put in your truck and conditions and let an expert tell you what tire you should get.

Expert? Oh, you mean someone paid to sell you tires. Yeah, I'm sure they have your best interests in mind.

Caeser25
09-03-13, 20:13
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going with the Hankook Dynapro ATM.

Stangman
09-03-13, 20:52

Well I guess we cancel each other out then. I know besides myself, two other people I've talked to, locally to me, had similar experiences. I won't be purchasing them again. Wanna buy a used set? Plenty of tread left...
;)
I will say the BFGs are great til about half the tread depth, then they start to drop off. They're expensive too. That's why I'm going back the the Revo's.

Sent via Tapatalk

I guess I can be a tie breaker. I put the AT/3's on my Ram a few months ago and couldn't be happier with mine. At the farm they've been through mud, up uphill rocky trails, up uphill loose dirt trails and have done fantastic. They're nice and quiet on the interstate as well. It was these or the Nitto Terra Grappler that I was debating between, and I'm very happy with my choice

Stangman
09-03-13, 20:52
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going with the Revo 2.

Guess I should have read to page 2. You can disregard my post, hah.

skydivr
09-03-13, 21:32
I came home tonight with Revo 2's on my Silverado 1500 4WD. That, and a new set of shocks (still had the OEM's on at 225K mi) and a fancy car wash, and I'm tickled pink it's like I've got a new truck :)

brickboy240
09-04-13, 10:21
I had the Revo2's on my Tundra once.

Yes, they rode great but I was surprised at how fast they wore down.

-brickboy240

montanadave
09-04-13, 10:34
Expert? Oh, you mean someone paid to sell you tires. Yeah, I'm sure they have your best interests in mind.

Actually, there are a few guys from Tire Rack that hang out on some of the automotive forums and they are knowledgeable and quite helpful. Sure, they're in the business of selling tires but they also answer a lot of general questions about tire selection, quality, sizes, etc.

I've even seen them recommend brands they don't sell a time or two when the customer has a specific need. They'll also bend over backwards to get you the best price and any available rebate/special offer from the manufacturer.

All in all, pretty decent guys to work with.

Jer
09-04-13, 10:51
Actually, there are a few guys from Tire Rack that hang out on some of the automotive forums and they are knowledgeable and quite helpful. Sure, they're in the business of selling tires but they also answer a lot of general questions about tire selection, quality, sizes, etc.

I've even seen them recommend brands they don't sell a time or two when the customer has a specific need. They'll also bend over backwards to get you the best price and any available rebate/special offer from the manufacturer.

All in all, pretty decent guys to work with.

That's not what you said. Having a conversation with someone on a forum who has proven to provide useful and knowledgeable information is NOT the same as going to www.tirerack.com and letting someone there sell you a tire. You should be doing your own independent research and listening to those who have tried the specific tires you're interested in, preferably in similar conditions in which you'll be on several vehicles for many years and ideally on your make & model. Going to the website to let the 'experts' tell you is the same as going into a car dealership w/o doing any research of your own and letting the 'experts' determine what is best for you. You're going to get whatever they get paid the most commission on and they'll do a wonderful job convincing you that it's the best for you.

montanadave
09-04-13, 11:04
That's not what you said. Having a conversation with someone on a forum who has proven to provide useful and knowledgeable information is NOT the same as going to www.tirerack.com and letting someone there sell you a tire. You should be doing your own independent research and listening to those who have tried the specific tires you're interested in, preferably in similar conditions in which you'll be on several vehicles for many years and ideally on your make & model. Going to the website to let the 'experts' tell you is the same as going into a car dealership w/o doing any research of your own and letting the 'experts' determine what is best for you. You're going to get whatever they get paid the most commission on and they'll do a wonderful job convincing you that it's the best for you.

I'm not sure what it was I said that I didn't say. :)

And I don't disagree with your suggestion that folks do independent research and talk to folks that have used the products. One of the car forums I frequent has an ongoing thread (sponsored by Tire Rack) where one of their employees, Rudy, regularly checks in and answers questions about tires from members. And the guy is pretty helpful. He assisted me in buying a set of tires (after I had narrowed down my choices and gotten feedback from other members) and, as I noted above, went above and beyond to get me a good price. I'm a satisfied customer. That's it.

Jer
09-04-13, 11:21
I'm not sure what it was I said that I didn't say. :)

And I don't disagree with your suggestion that folks do independent research and talk to folks that have used the products. One of the car forums I frequent has an ongoing thread (sponsored by Tire Rack) where one of their employees, Rudy, regularly checks in and answers questions about tires from members. And the guy is pretty helpful. He assisted me in buying a set of tires (after I had narrowed down my choices and gotten feedback from other members) and, as I noted above, went above and beyond to get me a good price. I'm a satisfied customer. That's it.

I understand. I was just commenting on the previous post that had zero qualification or direction. That's a lazy way of doing research. I know people that have been in the tire business for over a decade now so I trust what they say because I know them. I wouldn't trust them as a stranger though nor would I suggest someone attempt any sort of research with them or anyone like them.

Your best bet these days is to find a large community forum for your specific vehicle and search the crap out of it. Read everything you can find on tires and weigh the good & the bad with each tire. Take use and climate into account as well. His Frontier is similar in use and weight to my Tacoma and I can tell you that the Duratrac is heads and shoulders above all other options in every single category. I can say w/o a single doubt in my mind that if he found a good price on Duratracs and had them installed he would not be disappointed. I've personally owned other tires on a 4x4 but would not recommend any of them, especially over Duratracs. In my opinion (and that of tons of people online) the Duratrac is the best light duty tire you can buy for a 4x4 truck. Period. Notice the qualifier I used: Light Duty. The OP of this threads needs to realize he's getting a LOT of advice from people with full-size tucks of the 3/4 and 1-ton variety. The needs of these trucks has ZERO in common with our trucks and saying 'if it's good enough for them it's good enough for my smaller truck' is inaccurate and you won't get as good of a tire as you could get for your truck. I've got a Class C 6-ply Duratrac on my Tacoma and they're a perfect choice for my truck. I wouldn't even recommend the Class E 10-ply Duratrac for the same truck and that's the same tire. It handles completely different but most people don't even look at such things. I think too many people in this thread have lost sight that the OP has a Frontier and not a Duramax. Equipping the same tire on a LT is a mistake.

Kyohte
09-04-13, 13:04
I have Goodyear Silent Armor tires on my GM Canyon. I used to use Michilen LT4s on my old Blazer (but they are not made in a size for my canyon). Both performed well on and off road (rocky trails and backroads from WV to Montana), but I don't do serious off-roading. I had the LT4s out in several blizzards. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

Caeser25
09-05-13, 21:29
How about Falken Wild Peak ATs?

kry226
09-06-13, 07:23
No experience with those, but on a couple of different vehicles, including a 7,000 lb Dodge Cummins and Toyota 4Runner, I have had good luck with the BFG AT/KOs, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Michelin LTX M/S2s, and now Nitto Dura Grapplers. They have all been quality tires.

I suspect many of the others you're looking at are too. The best thing you can do for tires is to balance them properly, and do so with a Hunter Road Force balancer. A quick Google will find one near you.

7.62WildBill
09-07-13, 10:09
Avoid Michelin LTX M/S2! I am a reserved driver, but only got 32,000 miles out of them. Michelin will only honor their warranty if you re-place with another Michelin product. That is serious horse-hockey! I have a friend who had the same experience.

I have 3 friends who have been running Nitto Terra Grapplers on large trucks. Two of them drive quite a lot. All have been happy with the Nittos. I just put a set on my F-150 yesterday.

samuse
09-07-13, 16:41
BFG All Terrains.

They are a compromise tire. They're not loud, they don't grip enough in mud, they won't dig too much in sand, they last for a long time, and they can be BALANCED.

madisonsfinest
09-07-13, 18:35
I had it narrowed down to the General Grabber AT2's and the Michelin LTX AT2's. I went with the Michelin's and couldn't be happier. I have 20,000 on those tires, and they don't look used at all! I have mine mounted on a 2010 Toyota Tacoma

Armati
09-08-13, 11:29
Firestone Destination AT and never look back - hard wearing and excellent grip in all situations.

J-Dub
09-09-13, 12:35
Loved my Cooper AT3's. Had them in 235/85/16 on a Tacoma TRD. Worked well in Snow for sure.

HwyKnight
09-10-13, 14:25
Cooper Zenon LTZ! Love em!

Caeser25
09-10-13, 16:33
I went with the Falken Wild Peak.