PDA

View Full Version : drop-in rail for CAR15 clone

acjones20
09-03-13, 05:19
I'm building a CAR15-ish clone (colt A1 upper w/ cut and pinned 6920 barrel) and I'm looking at a drop in rail for some versatility. Currently it's either the troy battlerail delta (I'm aware of their recent politics, but I'm judging the rail on technical merit) or the DD Omega rail. I like the slick tube of the troy and the ability to mount a light at 12 o'clock ahead of the FSB. Any other thoughts or suggestions.

GH41
09-03-13, 07:14
Sounds like the Troy is what you want. I wouldn't let politics real or imagined influence your decision. I doubt there are any products you could buy that haven't in some way been touched by people that do not share our political views. GH

Auto426
09-03-13, 09:30
You could always pick up a factory seconds M4RAS from KAC. They have them on their online store right now for $150, which is really hard to beat.

Kilo 1-1
09-03-13, 14:56
Sounds like you have your mind set on the Delta rail. Can't go wrong with the KAC RAS either, although it has less versatility (space). I have both, and I prefer the Delta on my primary gun. It's the only tubular FF drop in rail with a FSB cut that I know of in the market now. And by drop-in, I mean not needing to cut the delta ring off, etc.

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/2324/9g93.jpg

BangBang77
09-03-13, 20:32
Sounds like you have your mind set on the Delta rail. Can't go wrong with the KAC RAS either, although it has less versatility (space). I have both, and I prefer the Delta on my primary gun. It's the only tubular FF drop in rail with a FSB cut that I know of in the market now. And by drop-in, I mean not needing to cut the delta ring off, etc.

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/2324/9g93.jpg

Hey Kilo

The more I see your carbine, the more I like the Delta rail. I have a question for you or anyone able to answer it.

I am currently running the Alpha rail on my 6920, so obviuosly I've removed the delta ring and handguard cap to accomodate it. If I want to change to the Delta will it just mount up to the barrel nut like the Alpha or will I need to re-install the delta ring and handguard cap?

Thanks in advance. I've searched the world over and I've yet to come up with the answer.

Kilo 1-1
09-04-13, 11:26
Hey Kilo

The more I see your carbine, the more I like the Delta rail. I have a question for you or anyone able to answer it.

I am currently running the Alpha rail on my 6920, so obviuosly I've removed the delta ring and handguard cap to accomodate it. If I want to change to the Delta will it just mount up to the barrel nut like the Alpha or will I need to re-install the delta ring and handguard cap?

Thanks in advance. I've searched the world over and I've yet to come up with the answer.

Just out of curiosity, why are you thinking of replacing the Alpha with the Delta?

The Delta rail doesn't need the hand guard cap up to fit. As for the delta ring, I've never installed it w/o the ring on it, so I can't confirm anything regarding it. After installing the rail and pulling back on delta ring to see how the rail's secured (and it being being rock solid), I'd surmise that it doesn't need the delta ring as the mounting bracket goes directly onto the barrel nut.

What you could do is try installing the Delta rail w/o the delta ring first. If it doesn't work, then you could always just put it back on. I'd recommend putting it back on, as it doesn't leave the barrel nut exposed and gives the area a cleaner look.