PDA

View Full Version : Tavor, FS2000, Steyr AUG design comparison

halmbarte
09-03-13, 10:02
I've shot the Tavor and own a AUG and FS2000. I don't have any plans to get a Tavor.

Some general observations about the three bullpups:

CHs-
The CH on all three is in the right location, but I'm concerned that if the Tavor rifle is dropped on the left side you might break it. The FS2000 and AUG solve this by using folding CHs, which does add complexity. The Tavor is also lacking a FA function, which the AUG and FS have.

Mag release location-
The Tavor has the mag release placed for fast activation but I'm concerned that it could be snagged or otherwise activated. The AUG's mag release is decently shielded but requires some manipulation to reach. The FS2000's mag release is darn near perfect, forward of the mag, well shielded, and easy to actuate by either hand.

Feel-
The AUG is slim, heavy and well balanced, kinda like dating a gymnast. The FS2000 is bulky but not dense. Almost like water wings. The Tavor is somewhere in the middle, not a solid feeling as the AUG but more svelte than the FS2000.

Operating systems-
FS2000 and AUG both use short stroke pistons, Tavor is long stroke. I'm fine with either. I do like that the FS2000 and AUG both have field adjustable gas regulators, so you can blow more gas into the action if the rifle is fouled or with weak ammo. The Tavor doesn't. From a design standpoint all three are very well thought out small arms. Field stripping is easy, with the Tavor having fewer small parts to lose.

Ambidextrous use:
The FS2000 is the only rifle that has ambi ejection, a centrally placed safety and mag release. It shares with the AUG the issue of not being able to swap CH locations. Both the AUG and Tavor are lefty friendly in that they can be swapped to right side ejection, but for shooting off your weak shoulder you're going to have some issues.

TLDR version:
There are advantages and disadvantages to all three, just like very other machine designed by men .

H

MountainRaven
09-03-13, 19:48
I've seen FS2000s break charging handles in normal, regular handling.

And where is the FA on the FS2000?

steyrman13
09-03-13, 19:56
The aug mag release can be reached with the thumb when you go to pull/rip the mag out

halmbarte
09-03-13, 23:07
I've seen FS2000s break charging handles in normal, regular handling.

And where is the FA on the FS2000?

I haven't broken my CH yet*, although I do have a spare.

The FA is built into the CH. If the bolt is blocked from going forward you bring the CH back until it hits the op rod. At that point the CH grabs the op rod and it can be pushed forward.

H

*About 1000 rounds thru the FS2k.

Don Robison
09-03-13, 23:23
I replaced my FS2000 charging handle with a Judochop aluminum handle before it had a chance to break. I'm a lefty and of the three designs the FS2000 is my choice primarily because of the ejection, safety and mag release locations.
I like the other two, they aren't as ambidextrous out of the box. My second choice would be the AUG since I don't have enough time behind a Tavor yet to form a better opinion.